Gran Turismo 7: Latest news and discussion thread

• Thread starter sems4arsenal
  • 38,938 comments
Last edited:
Forza Horizon has a lot more going on within its game at any given time but it's also running at half the frame rate. I wouldn't expect them to be able to accomplish the same things with vegetation as those videos. Also, keep in mind that while the actual game world wont look too far off that, the video is obviously pumped up graphically.

But obously that FH5 demostration runs in an ultra PC
Yes, like the vast majority of theatrical trailers.

Last edited:
I mean, Polyphony is as obsessed with the graphical representation of vegetation and trees as some of the forum posts here. I remember PD mentioned swaying trees in the wind and reproducing accurate tree barks when GTSport's detail page first went up on the official GT site. Vegetation and trees make up the majority of the tracks, it's extremely noticeable when they look unrealistic compared to everything else. Even if you're zooming past them, you were still looking dead at them in front of you at some point. And photomode is a huge part of these games that poor vegetation will pretty much ruin any good pics that are shooting for realism.

"Landscape

Huge strides have also been made in landscape expressions. See each and every leaf on a tree as it sways in the wind. Weather, time, and the age of the tree are considered when reproducing it in the game, right down to its bark. Even the asphalt possesses unique characters, regarding its size, grain and distribution of the asphalt surface. Thanks to advanced data capturing and the perceptional talents of the artists, Gran Turismo approaches landscape reproduction from every aspect."

We never got swaying trees but at least we know it was a goal at one point. Most of the roadside trees on Nurburgring have nice detail, and tree stumps and branches were actually 3D with various multiple different 2D cards making the leaf canopies (same approach as Driveclub), unlike tracks like Alsace, Brands Hatch, Red Bull Ring where an entire tree, or even row of trees, is made up of one large single spinning 2D card that doesn't even light or shade properly. The difference in quality is so stark you can tell which tracks Polyphony rushed through in development either from running out of time, lack of manpower, or both. They should really start getting some outsource help for track assets too.

Nurburgring
yeVnown.jpg

mqVcWZI.jpg

Alsace
GF2vnX3.jpg

Red Bull Ring
LSWd9Ba.jpg
It's so funny that Nurburgring has better looking trees than less demanding track like Alsace. If I were them, I'd just reuse the assets. What's the point of accuracy when it looks ugly.
Also Alsace is probably the worst track in GT history, worse than Cape Ring.

Last edited:
Alsace has puzzled me since it was unveiled. Why would you model a track based on small local roads in that region and then scale it up to ridiculous proportions so that one side of the road is wide enough for about 4 cars?

I know primarily the answer is to allow for cleaner racing but it's fictional, just create a proper race track that wide or base it in a region with wider roads. Dont make a supposed two lane road wider than a highway, it looks silly.

They should really start getting some outsource help for track assets too.
This. I mean i understand the in house development of car models too keep the quality as high as possible but who cares if a tree or any offtrack object is outsorced somewhere else, i don't think it's needed a giant know how on making good looking trees and bulding structures that you usually find around the track...

Last edited:
How does literally any other game with competitive online matchmaking do it?
They do exactly the same thing that GTS does, but they do it continually.

You pick Race A B C, the game loads a lobby where you can pick your car, look at the race settings. Maybe change setup and tires and in the case of the PS5 load the track and let you drive around, all this while setting up the next race with other players.

When a minimum of players has been reached the game starts a countdown and when that is reached or the maximum number of players is in the lobby the race starts.

After the race the lobby will be kept and the needed players will be added or replaced.

The actual matchmaking can use the same system as we have now, most games have several visible and behind the scenes values attached to each player. They are all used for matchmaking.

All this usually takes a few minutes.

The closest thing that we have to a confirmation is the “Stunning Visuals” trailer that shows GT7, and at the bottom says “In development for Playstation”, which heavily implies that it’s coming to both PS4 and PS5.
Hermen Hulst the head of playstation studios also stated that GT7 and GoW will be cross gen so it's pretty much official unfortunately...

Last edited:
It's so funny that Nurburgring has better looking trees than less demanding track like Alsace. If I were them, I'd just reuse the assets. What's the point of accuracy when it looks ugly.
Also Alsace is probably the worst track in GT history, worse than Cape Ring.
Gonna have to disagree there. Bad visuals aside, it produces close racing in almost every class in the game. Tbh I prefer it over Monza and Dragon Trail Seaside which people obsess over racing on.

Alsace has puzzled me since it was unveiled. Why would you model a track based on small local roads in that region and then scale it up to ridiculous proportions so that one side of the road is wide enough for about 4 cars?

I know primarily the answer is to allow for cleaner racing but it's fictional, just create a proper race track that wide or base it in a region with wider roads. Dont make a supposed two lane road wider than a highway, it looks silly.
They can't do subtlety

Gonna have to disagree there. Bad visuals aside, it produces close racing in almost every class in the game. Tbh I prefer it over Monza and Dragon Trail Seaside which people obsess over racing on.

People seem to really love the wide, high-speed circuits because they are easiest to learn and because they look most like the tracks they see while watching F1.

I did a Super GT lobby race few days ago, and the 3 tracks the host went to were Monza, Dragon Trail, and Nurburgring GP. The races at Dragon Trail and Monza were just slipstream battles lol. It was like racing on Special Stage Route X. Hardly any fun when the guy behind you can make more than two mistakes in a lap, and still keep up thanks to the slipstream. The Nurburgring GP race on the other hand, found a really nice balance between complexity, and high-speed sections. It produced a much better race because of that.

Last edited:
Thinking about the car count. From GT Sport, the initial 168 cars were perfect for that game. I had my views on it back them, but restarting the game so many times, those cars were fine for that game.
Pretty smart to have a brand with one car for just about each category. An R35 GT-R from road car to a Le Mans prototype. WRX STI rally car and its fantasy road car variant. Vantage S/GT4/GT3.
Having used every VGT for grinding, I'm sold on those cars. Sure, we can do without them, but the fun factor is high. Taking an SRT Tomahawk around a turn at Monza and seeing the speedo stuck at 393km/h, that became a test of how much faster can it go.

Anyway, the car count at launch, was all we needed. When the DLC arrived, it may have worked better if PD assignee the cars as packs.
The Cobra could have been in a Shelby pack, including the G.T.350 and Cobra Coupe. Ferrari pack with the Enzo, F40 and GTO '84.
Similar to the 1990s JDM events, adding the Evo IV, Impreza '98, Mitsubishi GTO together. Things like that.
I understand licencing issues, but arranging the cars with a theme, may have helped transition the cars and events better.

It's a terrible track because it doesn't have much character and doesn't offer much of a challenge. I mean Tokyo Expressway is terrible too but only because it's challenging, not because it's boring and uninspiring. Alsace would be soo much better if the width was reduced and some corners sharpened. It should have serious consequences for getting it wrong but no, you just run wide or bounce off the armco. Nothing special about the track.

Indeed. I don't remember the last PD track that didn't have huge amounts of camber on at least one corner. Camber and tunnels, they can't get enough of it.
Maybe St Croix, which they compensate for by having an enormous suspension bridge over a lake. Really amateur mindset

I wonder who designed these new tracks for GTSport because they are really poor in comparison to classics like Deep Forest, Trial Mountain, El Capitan. Not everything is bad though, Maggiore and Dragon trail are both fantastic.
I'm sure when they designed those tracks they didn't have the FIA rules in mind. Just making a good track. Now, they have a set list of standards to incorporate and it makes for boring tracks.

I don't understand what's so frustrating about the original tracks in GT Sport. I like all the original tracks except Northern Isle, Broad Bean and dirt tracks.
I was more dissatisfied with the new tracks added in GT4. Because many of them were too narrow to be suitable for racing.

Last edited:
I find it strange that so many people are pessimistic about GT7 here. I'm sure both graphics and physics will be greatly improved. For cars and tracks, it's up to PD.
I think it will be opossit, graphics and phycis will be just slight improvement but content will be much better

snc
I think it will be opossit, graphics and phycis will be just slight improvement but content will be much better
That's most likely what will happen, and that weighs heavily on if this will be a cross-generational game or not.

There is zero evidence of this, just assumptions. Many of the tracks are still wildly unsafe.
Not only zero evidence of it, actual evidence against it:

As for the fictional tracks, Fillastre says: “Fantasy tracks is something completely different. We leave Gran Turismo with that, and we feel that’s right.”

Not everything is bad though, Maggiore and Dragon trail are both fantastic.
To be honest, it kinda is. Those are just wide and boring Tilkedrome style tracks, with a generic mountain backdrop. Nothing special. Both are painfully boring to drive on if you are just by yourself, especially if you are in anything that isn't in the Gr. category (which is most of the game I'm pretty sure.) If I was forced to pick a fictional track in the game that I'd actually want to drive on, I'd pick Kyoto. Only because its one of the few fictionals that makes good use of both high, and low speed corners without it being too slipstream oriented.

I'll probably always just mainly stick to the real life tracks, unless they decide to bring back the good classics like Autumn Ring, Deep Forest, and Grand Valley without mutilating them too much. (like they did with Trial Mountain)

To be honest, it kinda is. Those are just wide and boring Tilkedrome style tracks, with a generic mountain backdrop. Nothing special. Both are painfully boring to drive on if you are just by yourself, especially if you are in anything that isn't in the Gr. category (which is most of the game I'm pretty sure.) If I was forced to pick a fictional track in the game that I'd actually want to drive on, I'd pick Kyoto. Only because its one of the few fictionals that makes good use of both high, and low speed corners without it being too slipstream oriented.

I'll probably always just mainly stick to the real life tracks, unless they decide to bring back the good classics like Autumn Ring, Deep Forest, and Grand Valley without mutilating them too much. (like they did with Trial Mountain)
I can't see anything screaming next gen on this pic. The modeling aspect looks so basic next to FH5. IMO, the art direction for the original tracks is very poor, too much code, not enough art. I don't expect something at the level of FH5 for obvious reasons but Poly can do better.

gran-turismo-7-screenshot-04-en-12jun20

How many times are we going to compare these year old pictures of a game that isn’t coming out until next year to footage of a nearly finished game that releases in around 4 months

Last edited:
Back