Gran Turismo 7: Latest news and discussion thread

• Thread starter sems4arsenal
  • 39,263 comments
GT SPORT is now a 3+ year old racing game. In my opinion it's not worth the time and money needed to keep on updating it

Depends on how much you value the goodwill of your players, I guess. Gran Turismo has somewhat of an advantage in that there's a solid base of people that will buy it pretty much regardless, but there's always at least some value in making sure that your players feel like you're looking out of them.

For example, see all the goodwill that CDPR had built up before Cyberpunk -that had to have at least some influence on just how excited everyone was to throw their money at another CDPR game. I know I'm generally much more keen to spend my money on companies which I feel have given me excellent value in the past.

GTA 5 (on PS4) is almost 7 years old but it had an update just over a month ago. If people are still playing the game, why shouldn't it be updated? Forza Horizon 4 and the Crew 2 are still getting updates too you know.
They are seeing continued support because they are making serious money through the DLC. GTAV is a phenomenal money machine to this day.

GTA 5 (on PS4) is almost 7 years old but it had an update just over a month ago. If people are still playing the game, why shouldn't it be updated? Forza Horizon 4 and the Crew 2 are still getting updates too you know.
I knew someone would point that out which is why I said it's a 3+ year old RACING game. GTA 5 is still getting updates because tens if not 100+ million people still play it regularly and many of these people spend lots of money to buy shark cards. If PD updated GT SPORT, they probably wouldn't make much money because most people buy cars in GT SPORT without paying real money for them. PD also has a smaller team than rockstar games and turn10, and so they probably have to focus on developing GT7. Forza Motorsport 7 (which came out around the same time as GT SPORT) stopped receiving updates in August 2019.

Last edited:
They are seeing continued support because they are making serious money through the DLC. GTAV is a phenomenal money machine to this day.
Spot on, GTA5 is using DLC as a major part of thier business model and revenue stream, GT Sport provided all of that content for free (with the exception of the Lewis Hamiton stuff). I imagine that the DLC being made for GT Sport was also being developed for GT7 in tandem, that would make business sense to me, especially given the amount of content that they made without charging for.

It was inevitible that this model would stop at some point, whether that means no more DLC at all, or future DLC being chargeable. However after 3 years of free DLC what is the liklihood that suddenly charging for DLC would be a success? That's a big question.

It seems that they chose to stop the DLC and focus solely on GT7 instead, a reasonable decision and one that makes a lot of sense to me.

Last edited:
I could imagine, that the Hamilton DLC was a bit a evaluation, how the customers react for a pay to get-model.
If GT7 really comes to begin of PS5-lifecycle, I could good imagine, they make a bit a Model like GTA5 over the mostly PS5-lifecycle. Another GT would there be not likely.
As I understood, most updates in GT Sport we got because of the fail start of content.
If GT7 gets from beginning a high amount of everything, PD would have been not in position for userbase to do same thing as in GT Sport.

Last edited:
I could imagine, that the Hamilton DLC was a bit a evaluation, how the customers react for a pay to get-model.
If GT7 really comes to begin of PS5-lifecycle, I could good imagine, they make a bit a Model like GTA5 over the mostly PS5-lifecycle. Another GT would there be not likely.
As I understood, most updates in GT Sport we got because of the fail start of content.
If GT7 gets from beginning a high amount of everything, PD would have been not in position for userbase to do same thing as in GT Sport.
I'm not sure, the Hamilton DLC was quite niche, it was also very different to the rest of the DLC that had been offered for free. There was probably a cost asscoiated with creating and/or licensing that content that wasn't recoupable via GT7 that led them to decide to charge for it, even if it was moslty time.

GT Sport was never meant to launch with a huge roser of cars, it did launch with more cars than GT1 and nealry as many as GT3 though. There was never a guarentee that all of the DLC released that we ended up getting for free was going to be free, however Kazunori did outline his plan to support the game long term.

It was defiintely planned, not a reactionary approach.

Last edited:
I think that until Sony have regular supply of PS5s hitting retailers they won't want GT7 to go out. It is seen as a system seller, so if you don't have any systems to sell there is little point in putting a game out or even releasing more information to increase hype. I think this is why the trailers changed from "first half of 2021" to just "2021". I suspect other big ticket games are in the same boat but maybe affects GT7 more as its an exclusive and not even going to PC unlike some other games.
The other side of this is the more machines out there, the more copies they'll sell.

Optimistically this could be giving PD more time to add stuff to the game that they originally didn't have time for.
On the other hand, it could just be they're running late anyway, so it gives them time to finish it.

Hopefully in 4/5 months supply of machines will be plentiful and we'll start to see some movement in next gen games, for now this generation seems to have stalled a bit.

Maybe, PD have learned, too, to give a concrete release date at first, when they are really sure, they can get it to that date.
So it is possible, too, as you are writing, they want to take more time for development.

I get my worth from the Hamilton DLC, as I start a new game often. Also have alt accounts that I restart. So, it makes it easy to acquire cars quickly. I'm down to just over half an hour to completion for 30million Cr. Done the same for past GT games. Love that new car smell. :)

I still can't work out exactly people were paying for in the Hamilton DLC.

Really bizarre paid DLC.
It pays REALLY well, that's all I've heard about it. That has to be it. It also apparently increases your Credit cap by a crap ton too.

I haven't got it yet, but it looks like a clone of the Sebastian Vettel X2010 special event.

I still can't work out exactly people were paying for in the Hamilton DLC.

Really bizarre paid DLC.
What people paid for? A pretty good challenge, a ridiculous amount of credits and an exclusive car if you beat everything. The cost for that DLC was peanuts.

What I meant was the DLC didn't have any new content. You can go and run those time trials yourself without it and have the exact same experience, you just won't gain any credits obviously. So what did you pay for? Menus?
From how I saw it, the DLC is basically a both pay and skill wall to unlock a repainted Mercedes VGT and an increased credit limit (20m to 100m). Also I figured out one of the challenges is a rehash of NTSC-J GT4 S-16 test.

From my side I only bought the Hamilton DLC to unlock the credit cap. It was disappointing to see that I cannot save up more money than 20M. It was never cool about GTS. Imagine getting the money for your dream car, and at the same time you purchase it your current amount of credits are: Zero (0 Cr.) How's that looks honestly?

Last edited:
What I meant was the DLC didn't have any new content. You can go and run those time trials yourself without it and have the exact same experience, you just won't gain any credits obviously. So what did you pay for? Menus?
since when making Hamilton play game and record tracks opinion is cheap ? :D and I see difference trying to beat Hamilton ghost that many people are interested with online records and some random timetrials on my own

Last edited:
snc
since when making Hamilton play game and record tracks opinion is cheap ? :D and I see difference trying to beat Hamilton ghost that many people are interested with online records and some random timetrials on my own

The question was what we as a consumer was paying for. What do we get that we didn't have before? The answer is seemingly just credits and some in-game trophies in a menu. The gameplay itself was not new, which was what I found so odd about it being paid.

The question was what we as a consumer was paying for. What do we get that we didn't have before? The answer is seemingly just credits and some in-game trophies in a menu. The gameplay itself was not new, which was what I found so odd about it being paid.
Hamilton ghost and hist recorded tracks opinion, thats what we get and for polyphony wasn't free to involved Hamilton so don't know why anybody is surprised that it's paid dlc (8$ btw)

Last edited:
snc
Hamilton ghost and hist recorded tracks opinion, thats what we get and for polyphony wasn't free to involved Hamilton so don't know why anybody is surprised that it's paid dlc (8$ btw)

Lots of things in this world cost money but aren't passed on to consumers. Like, you know, the actual new content they gave us for free, cars.

It just struck me as weird to offer a paid DLC that someone could easily replicate exactly themselves already in the game because it doesn't actually give you any new content.

Anyway, this isn't GT7 related so I'll leave it there.

Lots of things in this world cost money but aren't passed on to consumers. Like, you know, the actual new content they gave us for free, cars.

It just struck me as weird to offer a paid DLC that someone could easily replicate exactly themselves already in the game because it doesn't actually give you any new content.

Anyway, this isn't GT7 related so I'll leave it there.
It would be shocking if they realesed paid dlc with new content like cars or circuits and for example only players who bought dlc could play daylies on new circuits

Last edited:
A special painted car and a load of credits if you do well about sums it up, it was quite niche IMO, it wouldn't surprise me if a lot of people purchased it purely to win all of the credits on offer since it's such a grind to win enough Cr to buy everything in the rest of the game.

Last edited:
Whats the Problem? Everyone can self decide, if he pays for this DLC to get it or not. I have it, cause of I wanted to get better with this DLC to learn from the probably best driver of the world and this gave me a punch, so why not. And I liked to take the direct challenge.

Last edited:
A special painted car and a load of credits if you do well about sums it up, it was quite niche IMO, it wouldn't surprise me if a lot of people purchased it purely to win all of the credits on offer since it's such a grind to win enough Cr to buy everything in the rest of the game.
And not to mention that it is absolutely difficult to get gold on a controller, let alone diamond. Or maybe it's the adjusted physics, or the fact I'm playing this with a PS5 controller (DualSense).

And not to mention that it is absolutely difficult to get gold on a controller, let alone diamond. Or maybe it's the adjusted physics, or the fact I'm playing this with a PS5 controller (DualSense).
as hard on controler as on wheel ;) depends on skills

Last edited:
What people paid for? A pretty good challenge, a ridiculous amount of credits and an exclusive car if you beat everything. The cost for that DLC was peanuts.

...and 95% of devs would be smart enough to add something like this in a post launch patch because the content doesn't justify being sold for the price that the Hamilton time trials were being sold for. 99% of developers would have added the credits cap increase in a ****ing patch!

The pathological need to defend Polyphony for absolutely everything, even when they are in the wrong for their clearly boneheaded and cynical actions on this forum is insane, and trying to galaxy brain the Hamilton DLC is one of the worst things I have seen on here.

...and 95% of devs would be smart enough to add something like this in a post launch patch because the content doesn't justify being sold for the price that the Hamilton time trials were being sold for. 99% of developers would have added the credits cap increase in a ****ing patch!

The pathological need to defend Polyphony for absolutely everything, even when they are in the wrong for their clearly boneheaded and cynical actions on this forum is insane, and trying to galaxy brain the Hamilton DLC is one of the worst things I have seen on here.
On the one hand that DLC probably shouldn't have been chargeable, on the other hand, we got a crap tonne of other DLC free that could easilly have been charged for. They get some stuff right, some stuff wrong.

I have no need to pathologically defend PD, that’s not my intention. In fact, I’ll gladly point out issues if that could somehow lead to change. I didn’t specifically mention the credit cap being unlocked in my previous post and I agree completely that it makes no sense to lock that inside this DLC, just open the credit cap in a patch.

With "something like this", do you mean everything that came with the challenge?

Dave A makes a fair point.

Back