Gran Turismo 7: Latest news and discussion thread

• Thread starter sems4arsenal
  • 39,294 comments
That run at 20fps, I don't think Sony will want their flagship game running so poorly. Even on a rtx 3090 at 4k it's not feasible to run games with ray tracing at 60fps unless DLSS is enabled, and the ps5 is more like a 3070 in performance specs.
For the slight gain over screen space reflections in image quality I doubt they will even bother really it's too much of a performance hit unless they are using it only for shadows or very low resolution reflections, at which point you are better off with screen space reflections and normal shadow maps anyway. I can't imagine the ps5 having enough power to pull it off well with 20 cars on the track at 4k. Unless AMD work out their DLSS tech that is...
Biohazard Village utilizes the RT feature to improve the GI effect(when RT on it replaces the normal AO) and material reflections in the game and is capable of a decent 4k60fps with some drops to around 50 on load-heavy scenes.
Raw ray-traced surfaced reflections is not the only way one could use RT in a game so I think it may leave the question to PD themselves.

On the other hand TBH i dont expect them to put on too many graphic features in realtime driving since kaz clearly prefers refresh rate over image quality when driving as he said; i think RT will only be on least in replay mode, then max out in dynamic/static scapes

In the US its believed 10-15% of units went to scalpers https://www.tomsguide.com/uk/news/p...lpers-managed-to-snatch-10-15-of-all-consoles
The 7.8m figure is a few weeks old now, thus likely to have gone up.

So if we scale that up, we're looking at 780k - 1.17m have gone through scalpers hands, the vast majority of which will have been sold on. lets be generous and take the 15% figure, out of those lets say that 20% remain unsold - that gives us 234k.(suspect its much lower)
Therefore at a guess, there are easily 7.5m playstations in the grubby little mitts of gamers.

The 10-15% estimate came from the first launch event. From launch until December 31st, the PS5 sold 4.5mil units, split between the digital and disc versions of the console.

In total, 4.5mil units of the PS5 sold which equaled the amount of PS4s sold at launch.

That 10-15% figure is also only limited to the U.S. market. Says nothing about the Canadian, U.K., E.U., Central Asian, SEA, LA, or Oceanic markets. If you factor those in, we'll give it a very conservative estimate of an additional 15% with those markets totalled up.

So all in all, 30% of the consoles went to scalpers, using those rough estimates from the U.S. market and the very speculatory estimates about the rest of the markets.

30% of 4.5mil is 1.35mil consoles.

And just like that 7.8mil figure is outdated, so too is the 10-15% figure that has been scalped in the U.S. alone. As the reserve stock is being depleted, there is no way in hell that you, as a regular consumer, can compete with all the scalpers using scripts and bots to buy it up; even if you had a script of your own.

So that scalping figure will increase to around 40% when all is said and done. Will they be sold off, yes. Just like you said. But not all of the consoles will have been sold off, leaving a significant amount stockpiled. More than the 234k you estimated.

The only way to truly look at the damage is for SONY to release the number of PS5s online. However, don't confuse the inflated sales figures due to scalpers as being a reflection of true sales.

Last edited:
That 10-15% figure is also only limited to the U.S. market. Says nothing about the Canadian, U.K., E.U., Central Asian, SEA, LA, or Oceanic markets. If you factor those in, we'll give it a very conservative estimate of an additional 15% with those markets totalled up.

So all in all, 30% of the consoles went to scalpers, using those rough estimates from the U.S. market and the very speculatory estimates about the rest of the markets.
That's not how it works.

The estimate is 10-15% of the USA's allocation of consoles, not 10-15% of all consoles. If it were 15% of all consoles being scalped in the USA, it would mean 40-60% of the USA's allocation.

If other territories are subject to the same scalping rates it scales up to 10-15% of all consoles, or about 800k-1.2m.

30% of 4.5mil is 1.35mil consoles.

Erm, percentages don't work like that. try again.

Another report - 5% of UK units were resold (i.e. scalpers)
https://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2021-05-17-what-can-we-do-to-stop-the-ps5-scalpers

As the reserve stock is being depleted, there is no way in hell that you, as a regular consumer, can compete with all the scalpers using scripts and bots to buy it up; even if you had a script of your own.

So that scalping figure will increase to around 40% when all is said and done. Will they be sold off, yes. Just like you said. But not all of the consoles will have been sold off, leaving a significant amount stockpiled. More than the 234k you estimated.

And yet there are millions of people who have done just that.
Wait, where did 40% come from, are we adding up percentages again ? :confused:

Its quite understandable that you and many others feel frustration with the situation, but ultimately there is little evidence that scalpers have taken/are stockpiling anything like 40% of PS5 stocks.

However many there are currently n the resale market will reach gamers eventually - if thats because people give in (and no, I don't see why anyone should) or because supply increases and the scalpers have to sell for RRP or less..

GT Icons?
They are going to promote GT7 with the all Gran turismo icons through the history? :drool:

GT1:
latest

GT2:

GT3:

GT4:

GT5:

GT6:

PD never fail with the oddball moves do they. Unless you work for Citroen I think you'll struggle to find anyone who thinks that concept car is an icon in...well any way shape or form.

What a weird car to start.

Is not a start, is an ongoing video series

And IMHO GT by Citröen may not be a racing icon, nor an icon of the automotive world in general, but it is certainly an icon of Gran Turismo like the Suzuki Escudo was.

Last edited:
I wonder if they will ever bring a car NOT available on GT Sport for this series. Because boy, there are a lot of GT icons missing on GTS, unfortunately.
The LeMans-legends of the end of 90‘s and beginning of millenials, like CLK-GTR and 911 GT1, nearly aren’t included in GT Sport. I don’t understand, for a Sport focused game! I miss they so ****ing hard.

Last edited:
The LeMans-legends of the end of 90‘s and beginning of millenials, like CLK-GTR and 911 GT1, nearly aren’t included in GT Sport. I don’t understand, for a Sport focused game! I miss they so ****ing hard.

Except the "Sport" part is the eSports, hence why this game is the most barebones GT game to have ever launched as opposed to the bloated game we had with 5 and 6. Even the ads literally emphasized the "Sport" portion.

Is not a start, is an ongoing video series
Fair enough, I thought it was new going by other posts.

And IMHO GT by Citröen may not be a racing icon, nor an icon of the automotive world in general, but it is certainly an icon of Gran Turismo like the Suzuki Escudo was.

I dunno, I don't really recall ever using it very much in any of the games. The Escudo on the other hand became an icon in GT2 because it stomped pretty much every other car in the game.

Really surprised to hear that Takumi Yamamoto, the designer of GT by Citroën is a childhood friend of Kaz...

Yes that was surprising to hear.

I dunno, I don't really recall ever using it very much in any of the games. The Escudo on the other hand became an icon in GT2 because it stomped pretty much every other car in the game.

They took suggestions from comments on the previous videos.

Last edited:
Really surprised to hear that Takumi Yamamoto, the designer of GT by Citroën is a childhood friend of Kaz...
That reminded me of this:

I'm guessing that it may had already been mentioned from the full video. Unfortunately, I have never played GT5P and finding the full video is already hard enough as finding the trailer. I hope that some of the GTTV specials can make a return to GT7 or at least the YT channel.

I hope too. If Sony make a State of play in june, they could talk about GOW, Horizon 2 and GT7. They are great exclusive games, so it is a good idea give more information.
State of play would be more relevant when game is closer to release. I think if they have June event like last year, it will be called something else. Anyway, hopefully get announcement by end of this week. Hopefully also Naughty Dog show something too as they are home of the ICE Team and will be interesting to see if they have any next-gen only game in the works as might give a glimpse of the progression of graphics during the generation that will be also possible with GT. If they can get close to saying a release window for GT7 then that would be a bonus.
I wonder if there is a chance for a demo this year after the game was postponed to 2022.
This is what I'm kind of hoping for as I really want to try out the DualSense and see how it feels with GT. Will be interesting to see how well they can mimic the pedal feel and the difference between road cars and race cars. Also if they managed to implement any Michelin tyre related improvements as maybe something like physics might be less affected in terms of production difficulties unless everyone got a break. Would be good if they had a beta like GT Sport so can contribute to the development too. Really hope PDI have upped their game since last reveal as it looked like a cross-generation game then. If it remains at similar level then might be a while before we get a true next-generation GT game but at least we got decent hardware potential this time around so with time, GT should become great again. So many possibilities so must be an exciting time for the developers!

I think we'll have a date by Christmas to add GT7 to the hype around that time. Thinking late Q1/early Q2.

But yeah, I'm not expecting to see anything of the game for a few months yet, at least.

I can't see it being early 2022 because they delayed it so soon. If we imagine they had an initial target date of October/November 2021 to push it back to 2022 as early as February 2021 suggests they're not just expecting to go a couple of months over. You do that when you're a month or so out and realise you need just a little more time.

But 9 months before release date and you know you're not going to make it? That means it has to be a way off, to me.

Last edited:
I'm jumping on the PS5 train. I think the game could be pretty close to end of beta. Once there's light at thend of the tunnel regarding PS5 parts, it'll all be in Sony's court, for PS5 full steam ahead production.

For all we know, the game could be ready mid-year to Christmas. Maybe PD adding more cars and features(wheels, colors, etc.). I guess more PS5s on the shelves and probably an announcement, as per next year's release.

It’s a weird one. I’d say there’s definitely a pretty big chance we’ll see GT7, but it won’t be any kind of deep dive - just a trailer reminding casual gamers that the game still exists (we won’t see a release date or anything like that until late 2021/early-mid 2022 IMO).

Considering GT7 is one of the bigger releases planned over the next few years for the PS5 and GT is one of PlayStations tentpole series’ (out of stuff like God Of War, TLOU, Horizon, Spiderman, etc), I doubt they’d not talk about it at all and skip it for Sony’s biggest gaming related event this year, even if it may not release for another 18 months.

On top of that, the average PlayStation State Of Play events tend to not be massively popular - nothing compared to something like Nintendo Direct. If they’ve got big games coming, they’ll probably wanna tease them at a large event.

Poly can remain silent another year, GTsport is dead of casual fans and I simply don't care about the eSport aspect of GTSport.
However, FH5 is probably coming this year and that could be the best news for racing fans.
PD won't lose me as a customer because I'll pay my copy of GT7.
But in the recent years, my interest moved to Forza Motorsport and Forza Horizon. Why? Because these titles are more FUN and because T10 can deliver features and cars I want.
I am bored as hell with GTS.

PD (Sony) should invest in:
1) Communication and social media management (in ENGLISH)
2) market analysis and research

Last edited:
Back