Gran Turismo 7: Latest news and discussion thread

• Thread starter sems4arsenal
  • 39,188 comments
I can't see it being early 2022 because they delayed it so soon. If we imagine they had an initial target date of October/November 2021 to push it back to 2022 as early as February 2021 suggests they're not just expecting to go a couple of months over. You do that when you're a month or so out and realise you need just a little more time.

I can't be alone in thinking this was fully planned as a launch title game, and a few things happened that contributed to over a year long delay.

Based on PDs history, I highly doubt it.

The history of delays sure. But based on their history of the second installment of the console, having the majority of the game already built for those requirements, it should have been good to go within three years. Even if they released it on PS4 after PS5 release. But I'm sure a combination of other things contributed it to being delayed into 2022. Probably not even because it wasn't ready either. Console shortages, E-Olympics timing, maximum participation for FIA events. Plenty of reasons outside of production.

Judging by views YouTube videos of each game get and how often people upload them, the FH franchise wins by a long shot in terms of interest. And you can objectively say that there is a lot more to do in FH than GT with much more content to play around with. I think it's safe to say people are overall having more fun playing FH than GT. But maybe GT returning to the original formula with the familiar number attached to the name will rectify that a bit. The GT7 trailer is almost at 10 million views so that shows at least some interest.

Last edited:
Why are we even comparing an open world racing game that is marketed towards casual gamers? GT is track based and has different appeal compared to a game like FH. I mean I don't see people comparing GT to The Crew, is it because Horizon has Forza named on it? And people seem to think that GT is losing or something?

Different games, different focus. Gran Turismo is all about circuit racing whilst Forza Horizon and Need For Speed are about open world street/road racing. Doesn't make GT worse as a game and it shouldn't change to "compete" with them because that will kill the vibe. View counts on trailers don't make or break a game.

Why are we even comparing an open world racing game that is marketed towards casual gamers? GT is track based and has different appeal compared to a game like FH. I mean I don't see people comparing GT to The Crew, is it because Horizon has Forza named on it? And people seem to think that GT is losing or something?
It's a slow news period, so obviously the barn is burning down and the cows and sheep are running wild.

PD won't lose me as a customer because I'll pay my copy of GT7.
But in the recent years, my interest moved to Forza Motorsport and Forza Horizon. Why? Because these titles are more FUN and because T10 can deliver features and cars I want.
I am bored as hell with GTS.

PD (Sony) should invest in:
1) Communication and social media management (in ENGLISH)
2) market analysis and research
To be fair T10 has significantly more employee numbers than PD (tiny for a first-brand company). Also for the games being made more fun, Forza is less realistic than GT, practically a simcade (though GT is still in this category too, but it's the one that is closer to hardcore sims). Horizon is also an entirely different game as it's free roam/open world

Don't forget the last couple of Need for Speed games have more Youtube views than GT and FH combined. Does that make NFS the ultimate racing game?
NFS does have the most widespread success among racing games...

Why are we even comparing an open world racing game that is marketed towards casual gamers? GT is track based and has different appeal compared to a game like FH.

Because once upon a time GT appealed to casual racing fans who wanted semi-realistic physics to go with their modified cars. It's not hard to see how some GT fans, especially older ones, would find the idea of Horizon appealing.

And people seem to think that GT is losing or something?

I mean, it certainly doesn't get the same sort of accolades in reviews. Forza Horizon has been pretty consistently great since it started, whereas Gran Turismo has been pretty rocky for the last decade or so. People can have their personal tastes, but looking at the games more broadly it's not that hard to see why Horizon would be considered better for casual car fans.

https://blog.playstation.com/2021/05/25/discover-the-forbidden-west-in-our-next-state-of-play/

Alright, so Horizon Forbidden West is finally getting some new information on Thursday. But what does it have to do with Gran Turismo 7?

Well, GT7 is now the next AAA exclusive game Sony is yet to talk about and bring new info. It could be still months away, I know, but it's cool to see they moved from Ratchet & Clank to Horizon. GT7 has to be the next on this line.
..And where‘s God of War in your calculation?

So, the Ratchet & Clank : Rift Apart State Of Play was in late april and the Horizon Forbidden West State of Play is in late May.
Gran Turismo 7 State of Play could happen in late June.

..And where‘s God of War in your calculation?

I presume this one will be after GT7. Could be wrong, but I hope not.

Edit: I see it's scheduled for 2021. But I think they might give the attention for those games first shown back on June 11, 2020.

Last edited:
So, the Ratchet & Clank : Rift Apart State Of Play was in late april and the Horizon Forbidden West State of Play is in late May.

June 2022 ? both those games release this year, hence the state of play. I do not think for one moment GT7 will get a state of play 6+ months before it is released.

Technically it hasn't been confirmed that it's been pushed to 2022. So maybe they'll roll out new info/trailer putting the date out there and fulfill once a year content to use for another year. lol

Last edited:

GT7 won’t get its own State Of Play until we’re actually within the same year it’s meant to release. Doubt we’d get a deep dive now when the game might not come out until Q4 2022

To be fair T10 has significantly more employee numbers than PD (tiny for a first-brand company)
T10 has grown exponentially. And they do deliver a lot of content. PD, owned by Sony Computer Entertainment and active since 1997, haven't delivered many features/cars compared to T10 (the infinite wishlists on gtplanet, for example, are a good indicator of what is missing...gt after gt, year after year after year). Always with the same excuse of "the future". Always fixated with esports. But not everyone cares about esports. Not everyone will be doing endurance races, not everyone will compete in official events and not everyone will be using a steering wheel. Pretty far from "everyone", actually.

Also for the games being made more fun, Forza is less realistic than GT, practically a simcade (though GT is still in this category too, but it's the one that is closer to hardcore sims). Horizon is also an entirely different game as it's free roam/open world
It's all about opinions, you want a more realistic feel, you have GT. I want a more all-around fun game especially online, I'll stick with Forza Motorsport, even though I will fire up GT7 from time to time. Because traditions.
I am personally not interested in realism online if you're only letting me drive in the same 5-10 cars over and over and over again, especially with the bad triggers of the DS4, no real tuning, no setups to save in specific files, and no real promise to deliver (with GT7) at least the same amount of features/cars offered by Forza Motorsport on last gen.
The triggers on DS5? As of now we do not know if they will be any good with GT7.
I know about the xone controller with FM 5-6-7 and of course it makes you feel when you start losing traction, so you can make adjustments immediately. I am only hopeful for what will come. It can't get any worse, it will only get better.

Anyway, we claim GT to be more realistic, yet we don't have extensive tuning, no real time telemetry in practice mode to make adjustments without quitting a single session, no clutch button on the controller, no breakable barriers instead of invisible barriers in rally stages. Among other things.

Other things that grind my gears are the awful economy system that won't allow you to get 20mil cars even after months of racing and saving (I know I did, I have a busy life like many other players), and daily gifts (or should I call it infinite list of useless duplicates in my garage that I can't even resell)

Last edited:
T10 has grown exponentially. And they do deliver. PD, owned by Sony Computer Entertainment, haven't delivered many features/cars. Always with the same excuse of "the future". Always fixated with esports. But not everyone cares about esports.
Not everyone will be doing endurance races, not everyone will compete in official events and not everyone will be using a steering wheel. Pretty far from "everyone", actually.
I'm not sure where some of this is coming from :confused:.

I'd hardly call PD ''always fixated with esports'' when it's only been in one game, and while it is one of the selling points of that one game it isn't the whole game.... and why do people have to do endurance races, or official events, or be using a wheel :confused::confused:

It's all about opinions, you want a more realistic feel, you have GT. I want a more all-around fun game especially online, I'll stick with Forza Motorsport, even though I will fire up GT7 from time to time. Because traditions.
I am personally not interested in realism online if you're only letting me drive in the same 5-10 cars over and over and over again, especially with the bad triggers of the DS4, no real tuning, no setups to save in specific files, and no real promise to deliver (with GT7) at least the same amount of features/cars offered by Forza Motorsport on last gen.
The triggers on DS5? As of now we do not know if they will be any good with GT7.
I know about the xone controller with FM 5-6-7 and of course it makes you feel when you start losing traction, so you can make adjustments immediately. I am only hopeful for what will come. It can't get any worse, it will only get better.

Anyway, we claim GT to be more realistic, yet we don't have extensive tuning, no real time telemetry in practice mode to make adjustments without quitting a single session, and no clutch button on the controller. Among other things.
I agree about the older Xbox controller. I think it's great 👍, and as you mention, we'll have to wait and see about the DS5 and it's haptics for a GT7 comparison. Judging by what can be done in Asto's Playroom I think it could be pretty good... and far and away better than the DS4.

I'll be far more interested to see what both GT7 and FM8 have in terms of content/features rather than comparisons with either Sport or FM7. Both seem to be going through somewhat of a rebuilding stage (for GT it's another one in short succession) so it will be interesting to see what they come up with... and I'm hoping they both deliver.

You seem to have totally forgotten about open lobbies though, as this ''I am personally not interested in realism online if you're only letting me drive in the same 5-10 cars over and over and over again'' isn't the case at all. It also does have tuning and a place to save different set-ups. Not everyone does the esport side of things ;)

Last edited:
I'm not sure where some of this is coming from :confused:.

I'd hardly call PD ''always fixated with esports'' when it's only been in one game, and while it is one of the selling points of that one game it isn't the whole game.... and why do people have to do endurance races, or official events, or be using a wheel :confused::confused:
It's been 3 years and half. That is quite a lot. And esports is THE main selling point of GT Sport.

You seem to have totally forgotten about open lobbies though, as this ''I am personally not interested in realism online if you're only letting me drive in the same 5-10 cars over and over and over again'' isn't the case at all. It also does have tuning and a place to save different set-ups. Not everyone does the esport side of things ;)
- Open lobbies: you have to search, first. A long and boring procedure in GT since 5. And I always end up seeing almost empty lobbies (from 1 to 3 players, with just practice session and no actual racing) made by players. I was always put off by this. That's why when I go online, I only do weekly Race A or B. Because that's the definition of quick matches by PD. Only 1 race on the same track for one week, on one or a choice of 5 to 10 cars.
While Forza Motorsport has an effective and quick matching system. 1 button, you enter multiplayer -> 1 button, you select the type of race you want -> result: you are matched with other players in an already full lobby and use any car you want with any setup of your choice. Quick and effective.

-I specified extensive tuning for a reason. It is not extensive, compared to FM. It is very limited. (some of the main aspects missing are the engine swap, tyre pressure, tire width and wheels size that affect the physics on track). And the fact that in GT you have to exit the practice sessions to apply changes, starting over with cold tires and from the starting position of the track. And, as I said, also the fact that while you are driving in practice sessions in FM you can see on the screen all the telemetry about suspensions range, body roll etc in real time, that will help tuning (just pause the game and you can make any changes then resume the session). That is how it should be. Quick and effective.

-I specified no setups to save in specific files because GT has everything preset, you can have 3 different setups on the screen and you can't really save them the way you can in FM and share them on a platform made by the system. In GTS if you want to have someone else's tuning, you have to manually copy all the numbers into the system from a text file or a youtube video. In FM people can directly search for any user (unknown, a friend, a famous/trusted tuner...), download the file they want with the description and specs shown on screen (setup made for a specific track, short/mid/long track, for acceleration/cornering/top speed) and directly apply it to the car. All in a matter of seconds. Quick and effective.

When someone plays on both systems and on both games, it is natural to prefer one over the other.

I'd love to see all of that in GT7 but I highly doubt it will happen.

Last edited:
It's been 3 years and half. That is quite a lot. And esports is THE main selling point of GT Sport.
Gt has been going since 1997 and a total of one game has had esports ;).

- Open lobbies: you have to search, first. A long and boring procedure in GT since 5. And I always end up seeing almost empty lobbies (from 1 to 3 players, with just practice session and no actual racing) made by players. I was always put off by this. That's why when I go online, I only do weekly Race A or B. Because that's the definition of quick matches by PD. Only 1 race on the same track for one week, on one or a choice of 5 to 10 cars.
While Forza Motorsport has an effective and quick matching system. 1 button, you enter multiplayer -> 1 button, you select the type of race you want -> result: you are matched with other players in an already full lobby and use any car you want with any setup of your choice. Quick and effective.
I agree that GT's system is far from perfect, but what you said was ''if you're only letting me drive in the same 5-10 cars over and over and over again'' and as I mentioned that's not true. The best ones for me are PCars 3 and Wreckfest as far as quick, easy entry IMO
-I specified extensive tuning for a reason. It is not extensive, compared to FM. It is very limited. (some of the main aspects missing are the engine swap, tyre pressure, tire width and wheels size that affect the physics on track). And the fact that in GT you have to exit the practice sessions to apply changes, starting over with cold tires and from the starting position of the track. And, as I said, also the fact that while you are driving in practice sessions in FM you can see on the screen all the telemetry about suspensions range, body roll etc in real time, that will help tuning (just pause the game and you can make any changes then resume the session). That is how it should be. Quick and effective.
Most of what you've mentioned here is vehicle modification, not tuning (only the tyre pressure is tuning). And again, not what you said. As far as tuning while paused on track, that's far from realistic in my view and I'd much rather return to pit lane and come out with cold tyres just as you would at the track. Different strokes there, but the on screen telemetry is good though.
-I specified no setups to save in specific files because GT has everything preset, you can have 3 different setups on the screen and you can't really save them the way you can in FM and share them on a platform made by the system. In GTS if you want to have someone else's tuning, you have to manually copy all the numbers into the system from a text file or a youtube video. In FM people can directly search for a user (from the database....an unknown new user, a friend, a famous and trusted tuner...), download the file they want with the description and specs shown on screen and directly apply it to the car. All in a matter of seconds. Quick and effective.

When someone plays on both systems and on both games, it is natural to prefer one over the other.
I agree that people have different game preferences. I like bits and pieces out of a whole range of different games and I must admit sharing of tunes is something that doesn't appeal to me, but I can see how it would to people that just want everything easy. Using pre-sets pretty well has the same outcome in competition anyway, as most of the time everyone just ends up running the fastest guys tune.

If GT7 is for 2022, it's unlikely that we will have any news

June 2022 ? both those games release this year, hence the state of play. I do not think for one moment GT7 will get a state of play 6+ months before it is released.
Okay it may not be a state of play but they will most likely release another trailer. They put out 4 trailers for GT SPORT before the game came out

Last edited:
Back