Gran Turismo 7: Latest news and discussion thread

• Thread starter sems4arsenal
  • 39,296 comments
It's promising that the number of tracks layouts is now over 100, because the over 90 figure was a little too close to GT Sports for my liking. New tracks are important for a racing game.
Do you think they will rework the tracks we already have in gts? I'm guessing they'll look the same in gt7...

That also disproves those who kept saying that GT7 had been in development in the background during GTS development, and that was just a spin off/prologue. Nope.
Unless it's a different interview to what I read, the question was asking when they started development in earnest, not when did they start at all. So it's still highly probably development work did start before GT Sport released albeit on a lesser scale but then PD switched to a heavy focus on GT7 right after.

@Mariangello I'd hazard a guess they'll be the same layouts but maybe with better textures and trackside detail (on the PS5 version at least).

Last edited:
Unless it's a different interview to what I read, the question was asking when they started development in earnest, not when did they start at all. So it's still highly probably development work did start before GT Sport released albeit on a lesser scale but then PD switched to a heavy focus on GT7 right after.
It did say 'in earnest' but the interviewer also directly puts to Kaz that it was in development in the background, he had the chance to say yes and elaborate, but didn't.

I always got the impression that work on this next numbered title has been going on in the background for quite a while.

Kazunori Yamauchi:
It would be right after GT Sport was finished, around the end of 2017

I mean I'm sure they did work on some things before then, but the idea that GT7 has been in active development since 2013/4 and GTS was just an off-shoot because they weren't finished is clearly wrong. That was definitely something multiple people here have suggested.

Not really. GTS is the base of GT7.
And GT6 was the base of GTS, and so on and so forth - That doesn't really mean that we should add the development time of the previous game to the current one. The game didn't start development until after the last one was finished. .

Do you think they will rework the tracks we already have in gts? I'm guessing they'll look the same in gt7...
The track graphical assets look exactly like GTSport in the trailers, but now with dynamic time and weather. I don't expect a complete rebuild of track assets until a PS5-only GT comes out, and even then with PD's lack of reliance on outsourcing I'm wondering how much they will still end up porting over from GTsport/GT7 so that GT8 doesn't lack content...

Last edited:
Different generation. Different games in every way. You know that.
The point is that GT7 has followed the traditional development route as every previous game, they finished the last one and started on the next one.

They didn't, as some here have suggested, start GT7 development, branch it off into GTS because it was taking too long, and then continue with both. That's all I was getting at.

Different generation. Different games in every way. You know that.
GT5 and GT6 weren't limited. GTS was. GTS and GT7 are both coming to PS4. GT7 will be better graphically on PS5 but everyfeature it has it'll also be on PS4.
None of that really has to do with development schedules, though. It was the foundation of the ones that came after. I feel we're talking about two different things here.

Last edited:
None of that really has to do with development schedules, though. It was the foundation of the ones that came after. I feel we're talking about two different things here.
Yes we are talking about different things. If we're talking about foundation: GT5 Prologue was the skeleton of GT5, just like GTS is the skeleton of GT7.
Follow the numbers and you'll find the truth. They could have called GTS->GT7, but they didn't.
So far so good?

Last edited:
They didn't, as some here have suggested, start GT7 development, branch it off into GTS because it was taking too long, and then continue with both. That's all I was getting at.
But they did start developement of a new GT on a new console, branch off because it was taking too long, release a limited game, and then release another main title afterward. Strikingly similar to GT5.

The track graphical assets look exactly like GTSport in the trailers, but now with dynamic time and weather. I don't expect a complete rebuild of track assets until a PS5-only GT comes out, and even then with PD's lack of reliance on outsourcing I'm wondering how much they will still end up porting over from GTsport/GT7 so that GT8 doesn't lack content...
sport1lkuo.jpg

gt7w3kft.jpg

Geometry and asset details are still pretty much the exact same. GT7 image is super-sampled with photomode while the GTSport pic is an in-game screengrab on base PS4 at 1080p. GT7 image just has more pleasant lighting condition, in which case GTSport can look just as nice too if you get the sun gleaming off the pavement.

gt7w3kft.jpg

image-gran-turismo-sport-33857-3427-0027.jpg

Yes we are talking about different things. If we're talking about foundation: GT5 Prologue was the skeleton of GT5, just like GTS is the skeleton of GT7.
Follow the numbers and you'll find the truth. They could have called GTS->GT7, but they didn't.
So far so good?
No I'm afraid I'm not following, I'm not exactly sure what point you're trying to make. Whatever said, I'm talking about the fact that GTS was not developed in conjunction with GT7. It was one, and then the other, consecutively.

Geometry and asset details are still pretty much the exact same. GT7 image is super-sampled with photomode while the GTSport pic is an in-game screengrab on base PS4 at 1080p. GT7 image just has more pleasant lighting condition, in which case GTSport can look just as nice too if you get the sun gleaming off the pavement.
GT7 image, is PS5 version, probably with photo mode. GT Sport image has taken with photo mode but, on PS4.

I see difference, immediately. And all tracks will not be identical than Nurb.... Fortunately !

GT7 image, is PS5 version, probably with photo mode. GT Sport image has taken with photo mode but, on PS4.

I see difference, immediately. And all tracks will not be identical than Nurb.... Fortunately !
Whistlesnap took that in-game screengrab with his modded PS4 and free camera tool. He didn't use photomode, hence no GT watermark in the lower left screen of his image, thus no increased texture filtering detail that comes with super-sampling from photomode render.

For example, notice the GT watermark in GTSport photomode pics.

Gran-Turismo-SPORT-20180423005122-6077-default-large.jpeg

Last edited:

I mean atleast use the Pro version in 4K in photomode, the photo you posted wasn't even rendered you can see the low af and no supersampling.
This is what you need to compare to
vQl0l2f.jpg

i mean the only upgrade i see is more grass blades and some rubber on the ground, every other thing is exactly the same. And the sun postion is a little different. And keep in mind those are both photomode wich get enhanced vs in game graphics.

It did say 'in earnest' but the interviewer also directly puts to Kaz that it was in development in the background, he had the chance to say yes and elaborate, but didn't.

I mean I'm sure they did work on some things before then, but the idea that GT7 has been in active development since 2013/4 and GTS was just an off-shoot because they weren't finished is clearly wrong. That was definitely something multiple people here have suggested.
I don't doubt development only truly got going after GT Sport released. But there would probably have been planning and some rolling of the ball in certain areas prior. It may not be significant development compared to when it's all hands on deck, but it's still important work. It'll likely have gone from mostly conception and planning to full on development and programming once GT Sport released.

Ultimately all we have are Kaz's words in response to that question. That he didn't elaborate and the question specifically said "in earnest" doesnt eliminate one probability or the other. We can't read much into it either way IMO beyond giving our own educated guesses.

All that aside, I think we're agreeing anyway. Some work may well have taken place, but likely it wasn't significant.

Last edited:
So let me get something straight. According to Wikipedia, there are 327 cars in GT Sport, right? If we don't count cars revealed in the most recent trailers - both including those that are new to GT and those that simply weren't in GTS - then we should have at least 113 more cars at GT7's launch, right? Y'know, given that figure of "over 420" cars. That could allow for some seriously interesting inclusions. According to the IGCD page for GT7, I counted 29 cars that will be in GT7 that aren't in GTS. So that still leaves nearly 84 cars that we've yet to see. As others have also mentioned, this is also before we consider DLC. Indeed, unless GT7 breaks a trend that's been going on for over a literal decade and three installments, there WILL be DLC. It also will likely be free for the overwhelming majority of it, as I doubt PD would go back to the GT5 days of paid car/track DLC, especially with Sport Mode returning in GT7. If there's any paid content, I think (or at least hope) it'll be much more in the vein of the Lewis Hamilton Experience in GTS.
So it’s official. Dynamic time and weather only on select tracks. I suspect mostly on the ones shown in the trailer.
I mean, I don't really mind. I think for some tracks, you'll still get dynamic time, and perhaps somewhat dynamic weather, but not any rain. For example, I don't expect rain to be a factor at a course like Willow Springs or Laguna Seca, but I would expect it at a course like the Nurburgring, Le Mans, or Monaco. Honestly, I think developing dynamic time/weather for every last track would take a ton of time on PD's end, especially when you hear about how ambitious they are about simulating the various aspects of rainy weather.

Last edited:
So let me get something straight. According to Wikipedia, there are 327 cars in GT Sport, right?
Don't know, haven't checked Wikipedia. But there's 338.
According to the IGCD page for GT7, I counted 29 cars that will be in GT7 that aren't in GTS.
We count 32 so far.
So that still leaves nearly 84 cars that we've yet to see.
Well, 420-(327+29) = 64, so no. And as we're actually at 338+32, it's closer to 50. So also no.

Something I'm also a bit concerned about is that I was reading the EuroGamer interview, and I read this quote from Kaz: "You're absolutely right in saying that GT7 will be something that will progress based on the progression of the PS5 platform." So I'm worried that the PS4 version won't get DLC, being exclusive to the PS5 version, especially with how hard it is to get a PS5 right now.

Last edited:
Back