Gran Turismo 7: Latest news and discussion thread

• Thread starter sems4arsenal
  • 38,950 comments

Going off that video, PD themselves definitely did say those things. It's also perfectly possible however, that Sony put pressure on them.

The same can be said for Gran Turismo 4 on the PS2 though. I should know, I was playing it earlier. There's always been a noticeable difference between tarmac, gravel, and other surfaces on the game. My point was that no game has yet managed to succesfully emulate the feeling of real driving on a controller - and not previous GT titles lacking difference in feel between surfaces.

Sounds amazing, if they can pull it off. I'll be keeping my fingers crossed. 👍

I mean the GT7 info being said is by Sony.
You have to understand that Dualsense is very different to Dualshock.

Dualshock had two sets of vibration: strong and low, and used a couple of motors to achieve vibration.
Dualsense is far more sophisticated. It has voice coil actuators, which are far more precise and most importantly programmable. Rather than having two modes these actuators can vibrate to any sinusodal waveform, giving a greater texture feel.

I'd treat this with cautious optimism. Back in the day Polyphony said we'd have damage in GT2...
A lot of people forget, damage was in GT2. I think you had to switch it on in a menu and I can't remember if it was only for races on th arcade mode disk. But the damage wasn't visual, it us affected the cars performance, made the car veer to the left or right you hit something to hard etc. Hardly what TOCA was doing at the time, but damage of a sort was actually in GT2.

Not to detract from your point, Kaz has said many things that have either never made it in or have appeared in a far differen't or more limited manner than implied (like GT2's damage).

I hope they give us updated models for all the SEMA and Pebble Beach winners, but also the Tokyo Auto Salon prize winners for the temporary period that PD did that, like the D1GP-spec BP Falken RX-7 FC. Speaking of which, I also wonder if there ought to be a Gr.D for D1GP cars, especially considering that drift seems like it's gonna stay if the D1GP BRZ in GT Sport indicates anything.

I get the feeling that Kaz was forced to make a traditional GT game for this generation. We all know that he likes to take his franchise and venture into new territory with it. So, I’m guessing this is either Shuhei or Hermen Hulst tugging his his strings.
He definitely caught flak for not having a GT ready for the release of PS4. Sony breathing down his neck is probably the reason why we got GT Sport. If I had a Choice. I wouldve gladly waited for GT6 to release on PS4 vs getting GT Sport.

This is essentially force feedback on a controller. How close it is to a wheel remains to be seen but its great for GT fans. Controller users can finally be smoother in their pedal movements and feel traction like wheel users.

Will be interesting to see how it feels. Though I strictly use the right stick for throttle/brake and I know I'm not alone in that. Was really hoping the haptic feedback would be applied to those as well somehow. With that being said, hopefully were not forced to use L2/R2 as the throttle and brake. That will really be a bummer. I just cant do it. It's not comfortable for me.

Last edited:
He definitely caught flak for not having a GT ready for the release of PS4. Sony breathing down his neck is probably the reason why we got GT Sport. If I had a Choice. I wouldve gladly waited for GT6 to release on PS4 vs getting GT Sport.
Kaz could’ve had a GT ready for PS4’s launch. It was Sony management who dictated GT6 should be on PS3. That was a time of great uncertainty for the console business. They didn’t foresee gamers abandoning last-gen overnight. That said, it would’ve taken a top-to-bottom overhaul, to get GT6 working on PS4. At that point you may as well rebuild everything and be in a better position for PS4 & PS5.

Sony knows GT is a cash cow if handled properly. Even more so for current management who are largely from Europe. Get GT7 out within 6 months of PS5’s launch and they’ll shift 10m-15m copies lifetime. Add a paid DLC program and that’s a big revenue generator.

Hmmmm... Maybe there will be a proper and exclusive presentation for GT 7?
Sony have stated there are going to be multiple presentations and PS Blog posts to come. Makes sense to space them out for the various titles. There’s a lot we don’t get know about PS5 itself. Launch date, price, UI, full BC details etc.

Last edited:
I'd treat this with cautious optimism. Back in the day Polyphony said we'd have damage in GT2, and car interiors in GT3. Although I've always felt this was PD over-estimating what they could achieve, as opposed to them flat-out lying, they could still do so again. After all their track record when it comes to sound, is far from perfect. And I've yet to come across any game that can properly simulate driving, through a controller. But you never know.
It's not even Polyphony saying that, for what it's worth. You'll have to take it up with Sony Europe.

That was a time of great uncertainty for the console business. They didn’t foresee gamers abandoning last-gen overnight.
This didn't actually happen, though. The PS3 was still supported for years after the PS4 came out, especially in Japan. Persona 5, a major title if there ever was one, was a PS3/PS4 release... and that was 2016! Even Twilight Princess or Breath of the Wild seem "reasonable" compared to that.

If anything, Polyphony did not want to repeat what happened with GT5 taking forever, and felt that switching consoles would impact that immensely. The PS4 uses very different hardware from the PS3, so this makes sense. The PS5 hardware is not really a simple upgrade of the PS4's, but it's still far more similar when it comes to actually working with it.

Last edited:
I get the feeling that Kaz was forced to make a traditional GT game for this generation. We all know that he likes to take his franchise and venture into new territory with it. So, I’m guessing this is either Shuhei or Hermen Hulst tugging his his strings.

Pretty sure he wasn't forced to by anyone at Sony. He wanted to do it because that's what the fans have been asking for all over the internet, including FIA players who bring with them the old GT games and show them to Kaz.

As a publisher Sony has been super open about letting their developers experiment, even spending huge budgets on new and unproven IPs.

Last edited:
This is very important because driving with DS4 and ABS Off is very hard due to lack of resistance.
It should help for sure, I wonder if we will get adaptive pedals too. PS5 is like dream level hardware becoming a reality so really looking forward to trying out the new controller, developers have so much room to improve things over the generation.

I think it being very hard with ABS off is more down to the physics. I just hope they can implement the tyre model with Michelin stuff in time for GT7 and improve the suspension system. Great to hear simulation mode being back. 👍. Hopefully there is a Polyphony talk like there has been for Guerrilla and Insomniac in the coming days so can have a better idea on where they think they are at. They emphasised career mode so far. Some of what they showed looked quite rough (Been sadly the case for Trial Mountain in the HD era) so surprising they managed to reveal it in that state. Maybe they are going to use it as an example of how much they can improve later on. Might get more gameplay in August.

The power of a number and focus on singleplayer. I saw a lot of people really happy with the GT4 home screen.

I really like GT Town, the new home screen

Nostalgia, modern .... I like little circles that represent cars. Whoever created it deserves a medal for me. It's perfect !

gran-turismo-7-ps5-screenshots-4k-26.jpg

I hope this game will have proper old and basic little shopping cars like the earlier GT games, that makes it better for me, using normal road cars...

The power of a number and focus on singleplayer. I saw a lot of people really happy with the GT4 home screen.

Whoever went to Kaz during one of the championships and told him that the old GTs were better for their singleplayer is a hero lol
That was the World Tour events when players brought out the old games. Kaz saw how good those actually are.

A thing about the Porsche post. I'm thinking we'll get the Porsche test track.

We don't know that. Sony/PD didn't provide any kind of release window in the trailer.

Honestly, I don't see this coming out any time before 2021

I should say, 'rumoured'. GT Sport was released 4 years after the PS4 was released, it shouldn't really be a surprise that four years without a game on a current console did damage to the GT series.

To be fair, I could imagine engagement of that sort being pretty strongly tied to the perceived quality of the previous release. If you didn't like the last game that someone made, you're not going to be falling over yourself looking for the next one.

GT6 wasn't considered to be a terribly great game -> People not that interested in GTS
GTS has a pretty solid reputation -> People interested in GT7

Add in the fact that it's a "real" Gran Turismo and not iRacing: Console Edition and I think that explains most of that discrepancy.

Also 4 more years of Twitter expanding its userbase and influence.

Kaz could’ve had a GT ready for PS4’s launch. It was Sony management who dictated GT6 should be on PS3.
GT6 being GT5 with different shadow rendering, some more cars and some multiplayer functions and quality of life improvements added to GT5 removed still released a bit after the PS4's launch.

Why would a GT6, with everything from GT5 thrown out and redone for new hardware, not suffer the same fate as GT3 (PS2 launch title for PAL regions, missed by 7 months unless you imported it after only 5 months), GT4:M (PSP launch title, missed by 5 years) and GT:HD (release date set for a month after PS3 launch, cancelled immediately following PS3 launch, game that replaced it didn't release for four more years)?

Last edited:
Back