Gran Turismo 7: Latest news and discussion thread

• Thread starter sems4arsenal
  • 38,931 comments
I wouldn't worry about textures in gt7 as gt sport already had very high res track textures.

Yes, the asphalt and curbs look great; it's the greenery that looks off a lot of the time. The biggest offender is the grass on the track, where it literally looks like grass.jpg is pasted everywhere with some ugly 2D blades that sometimes move and sometimes don't scattered about. And when there are plants that move when you fly by, they all move stiffly and in unison making them look very unnatural.

I know there are more important things to be worried about but in a game so focused on graphical fidelity, I'd expect a little better.

Do you guys think Kaz/PD will have a launch party/event for GT7, just like how they had one for GT6?

I wouldn't worry about textures in gt7 as gt sport already had very high res track textures.

Screenshot_20200616-014841_Samsung Internet.jpg

Yes, things like road and curbs do look good indeed, but grass and trees don't look as good.

Trees look good enough. It’s easy to forget they’re rotating 2D trees. Maybe they look suboptimal in photo mode but I don’t stare at the trees while racing at 300 kph.
This could be gtsport on ps4. It's the same assets and same tech when looking at trees and grass. At the end, I'm sure we are many to think this look pretty average for the moment. GT1 and GT3 was the most insane graphics when I saw them. Even GT5 prologue was special in terms of graphics.
I can't say that reveal was amazing and I look forward to Forza 8 announcement.

It's amazing how much that one bad cropped shot taken from a moving video is influencing people. It's not a static shot, we don't know who took it and it's not from the finished product.

It's just a capture someone has purposely taken who wanted to pick the worst shot they could find. I can do that with any game, FF7 Remake, Asetto Corsa Copetizione, I can find ugly shots in any of them if I cherry pick the right moment.

It would be more worrying if screenshots like this were turning up left right and centre, but they aren't.

Not to stir up things but GTS environments where always inconsistent (outside the roads), and there are moments where it looked worse than a PS3 game
49584337851_7775703d10_o.png

GeRlxFr.jpg

Its not always bad, it has some amazing environments also but its even more distracting when that happens because you go from something that looks amazing to something totaly different. Let me show you what i mean
5fN3YM8.jpg

then you turn the corner and this is what you see
R44l0kj.jpg

But i expect them to upgrade the environments, the first trailers are always just quick ports with small enhancements instead of the full upgrade we get from the full game. I just hope that they atleast give us the full car lod and photomode quality environments with even added detail, couple that with dynamic tod and 4K it would look good. BTW GTS is not the only sim with inconsistent environments, games like FM7 and PCars also has the same problem but in GT its even more common.

I've seen better textures in GT5 prologue than in that trailer. It's clearly unfinished/early build.
That's likely. Let's hope so.
It's amazing how much that one bad cropped shot taken from a moving video is influencing people. It's not a static shot, we don't know who took it and it's not from the finished product.

It's just a capture someone has purposely taken who wanted to pick the worst shot they could find. I can do that with any game, FF7 Remake, Asetto Corsa Copetizione, I can find ugly shots in any of them if I cherry pick the right moment.

It would be more worrying if screenshots like this were turning up left right and centre, but they aren't.
It's a screenshot I saw earlier and cropped it. It's not like I was looking to find it, I just happen to bump into it. It surprised me that a supposed PS5 still has this graphical aspect. But like it was said earlier, this might get better when it's finished.

I still can’t believe you guys are nitpicking the graphics like this especially in an early build. Yes, the PS5 is more powerful, but that doesn’t mean the game doesn’t have to look completely different than GTSport which is already an amazing looking game. You have to remember that Ray Tracing is incredibly taxing and combined with dynamic weather and time which will more than likely be in GT7, you’re not going to be able to have a huge leap in textures as well especially when the textures aren’t bad in the first place. You guys are expecting way too much.

Last edited:
It's a screenshot I saw earlier and cropped it. It's not like I was looking to find it, I just happen to bump into it. It surprised me that a supposed PS5 still has this graphical aspect. But like it was said earlier, this might get better when it's finished.
Yeah I know, I'm well aware of that pic it's done it's fair share of rounds.

But as far as I'm aware it's not an official screenshot, it's a grab some random interweb person has taken from the preview video we had. It's the only picture that looks bad doing the rounds, I can take a bad picture from any other game by grabbing it from a video (or even in game) if i choose the right moment.

I'm not uggesting you made that pic, but time after time people ignore all of the great screenshots in favour of that one and jump to the "GT7's graphics look bad" argument. It's an isolated scene, it's an early build of the game (we don't even have a release window yet) and it's a grab from a panning camera shot in a video.

It's way too early to tell definitively what textures will change in time, but ultimately if that thin sliver of grass down the straight after the tunnel doesn't look great I will live with that. The track looks great, as do the graphics in every other pic and in the actual video when you watch it in motion.

But as far as I'm aware it's not an official screenshot, it's a grab some random interweb person has taken from the preview video we had.
Does it matter? You can see it even without taking the screenshot. And I don't see anything wrong with it being pointed out.

I'm not uggesting you made that pic, but time after time people ignore all of the great screenshots in favour of that one and jump to the "GT7's graphics look bad" argument. It's an isolated scene, it's an early build of the game (we don't even have a release window yet) and it's a grab from a panning camera shot in a video.
I'm not saying that GT7 looks bad, I think it looks good. But in some parts it could definitely look better. I think it's something that shouldn't be present in a PS5 game.

It's way too early to tell definitively what textures will change in time, but ultimately if that thin sliver of grass down the straight after the tunnel doesn't look great I will live with that. The track looks great, as do the graphics in every other pic and in the actual video when you watch it in motion.
Indeed, it's too early to say for sure. But who knows. I'm hoping they'll notice it and change it over time. I could live with that as well, but it would be a pity if it stayed.

Are we still talking about how GT7 should be a revolutionary upgrade to GTS that was released not even 3 years ago? Or that anyone is surprised that this was supposed to be on PS4 and it's now on PS5?

I still can’t believe you guys are nitpicking the graphics like this especially in an early build. Yes, the PS5 is more powerful, but that doesn’t mean the game doesn’t have to look completely different than GTSport which so already an amazing looking game. You have to remember that Ray Tracing is incredibly taxing and combined with dynamic weather and time which will more than likely be in GT7, you’re not going to be able to have a huge leap in textures as well especially when the textures aren’t bad in the first place. You guys are expecting way too much.

Agreed. Unless you guys want to pay $1,000 for a Playstation, you're going to get what the technology is capable of at the price the market will bear. Forza Horizon's scenery doesn't blow anyone away, but the game is still a lot fun (until it isn't).

Agreed. Unless you guys want to pay $1,000 for a Playstation, you're going to get what the technology is capable of at the price the market will bear. Forza Horizon's scenery doesn't blow anyone away, but the game is still a lot fun (until it isn't).
With this "Forza Horizon's scenery doesn't blow anyone away" i don't agree, Forza Horizon 4 has the best environments in a racing game. It ieven tops other non racing games, the trees, foliage, seasons and level of detail is soo far ahead of ForzaM, GTS, Pcars, ACC,.. its not even comparable. They really flexed with the environments because of the freedome they had, they made some insane scenery and has alot of destructable tree and objects with there own physics. And you can go everywhere wich is even more impressive because closed circuit games you can hide unnecessary details in the background and outside the track, but in Forza Horizon you can go anywhere so its even more difficult to keep it consistent. Just have a look (all gameplay)
aoTUnDM.jpg

0S7usVO.jpg

ZdH6nX3.jpg

qXEVHFK.jpg

TL8cnRR.jpg

8RBZBmg.jpg

ARITErA.jpg

If GT7 foliage looks like this with 4K 60fps and ray traced reflections then i would be super impressed.

With this "Forza Horizon's scenery doesn't blow anyone away" i don't agree, Forza Horizon 4 has the best environments in a racing game. It ieven tops other non racing games, the trees, foliage, seasons and level of detail is soo far ahead of ForzaM, GTS, Pcars, ACC,.. its not even comparable. They really flexed with the environments because of the freedome they had, they made some insane scenery and has alot of destructable tree and objects with there own physics. And you can go everywhere wich is even more impressive because closed circuit games you can hide unnecessary details in the background and outside the track, but in Forza Horizon you can go anywhere so its even more difficult to keep it consistent. Just have a look (all gameplay)
aoTUnDM.jpg

0S7usVO.jpg

ZdH6nX3.jpg

qXEVHFK.jpg

TL8cnRR.jpg

8RBZBmg.jpg

ARITErA.jpg

If GT7 foliage looks like this with 4K 60fps and ray traced reflections then i would be super impressed.
This thread will just turn into Forza vs Gran Turismo at this point.

I still can’t believe you guys are nitpicking the graphics like this especially in an early build. Yes, the PS5 is more powerful, but that doesn’t mean the game doesn’t have to look completely different than GTSport which so already an amazing looking game. You have to remember that Ray Tracing is incredibly taxing and combined with dynamic weather and time which will more than likely be in GT7, you’re not going to be able to have a huge leap in textures as well especially when the textures aren’t bad in the first place. You guys are expecting way too much.
People get a lot of exercise jumping to conclusions my friend. They seem to forget how bad GT Sport looked in Alpha phase.

It’s easy enough to pick apart any trailer. Just as you can use the trailer to highlight high resolution texture work the likes of which we haven’t seen in GTS. Even with image degradation from compression and motion blur.

As ever, with 6-12 months of development ahead. We’ll see continuous refinement. That’s the benefit of having working builds up and running so early.

Attachments

• 2EE55A11-8E3E-42F1-B8A5-231295BACE19.png
    2EE55A11-8E3E-42F1-B8A5-231295BACE19.png
    104.6 KB · Views: 42
  • E8892A6A-3D1A-449E-9934-E99DA96F4B00.jpeg
    E8892A6A-3D1A-449E-9934-E99DA96F4B00.jpeg
    64 KB · Views: 43
  • 5E731E49-DB51-4DFB-8ECC-8607D70750CC.jpeg
    5E731E49-DB51-4DFB-8ECC-8607D70750CC.jpeg
    68.8 KB · Views: 42
  • 9816E9FD-0B91-4920-9838-6DC3AF4C0150.png
    9816E9FD-0B91-4920-9838-6DC3AF4C0150.png
    141.4 KB · Views: 40

cut

sure, then you enlarge le immagini them and your eyes bleed:lol:

However horizon is not inherent in these topics, avoid;)

I take it this source isn't coming, @AlanH49 ?
What’s to question? Studios don’t dictate release strategy and platforms.

This comes back to the incredulity of some PD could deliver a PS5 launch game.

Sony edged their bets on the PS3 market remaining buoyant. It didn’t. Leaving GT6 stranded and largely forgotten after 3yrs of development. Driveclub was intended to take up the slack and one of Sony’s most important studios and franchises was absent for years.

This time over Sony stopped announcing new AAA titles late 2017. Even with BC it would’ve been an own goal releasing GT7 on PS4. The trailer (PlayStation & Gran Turismo) has already surpassed 5m views. Up from GTS reveal trailer numbers of 1.6m.

Back