Gran Turismo 7: Latest news and discussion thread

• Thread starter sems4arsenal
  • 39,151 comments
State of Play for a racing video game, that's not reasonable at all. Racing games don't move masses than other video games like Horizon

Last edited:
The main selling point for GT Sport is, "7 to 77" can participate.

Is it though? I mean, people younger than 7 and older that 77 were playing GT1, and probably video games in general before Gran Turismo even existed. It would be more of an issue if somehow their game was not playable by people of all ages, as fundamentally it's one button for go, one button for stop, and wiggle the stick for left and right. I can probably teach my cat to do that.

The "7 to 77" thing is meaningless marketing garbage. The main selling point for GTS is esports.

Last edited:
State of Play for a racing video game, that's not reasonable at all. Racing games don't move masses than other video games like Horizon

Gran Turismo is literally the third best selling racing game series of all time (2nd in terms of real car racing games) and most sell 10m+, usually being one of if not the best selling game on the respective consoles. It still pulls huge numbers, the trailer for GT7 currently has nearly 10m views, only one million less than Horizon.

I mean no, there still isn't going to be a state of play any time soon, more like this time next year. But there definitely could be. Gran Turismo is still a huge name that sells off it.

Is it though? I mean, people younger than 7 and older that 77 were playing GT1, and probably video games in general before Gran Turismo even existed. It would be more of an issue if somehow their game was not playable by people of all ages, as fundamentally it's one button for go, one button for stop, and wiggle the stick for left and right. I can probably teach my cat to do that.

The "7 to 77" thing is meaningless marketing garbage. The main selling point for GTS is esports.
I'm sure Kaz said the game is for everyone over eSports. eSports are a part of the game. Not its main selling point.
For people to participate in racing that never raced before(probably an interview in here somewhere).

The initial trailer mentioned 7 to 77. In the game trailer, before Spec 2.0, it reads driving is for everyone. That's the sell. We see majority didn't buy for nor play eSports.

T10 has grown exponentially. And they do deliver a lot of content. PD, owned by Sony Computer Entertainment and active since 1997, haven't delivered many features/cars compared to T10 (the infinite wishlists on gtplanet, for example, are a good indicator of what is missing...gt after gt, year after year after year). Always with the same excuse of "the future". Always fixated with esports. But not everyone cares about esports. Not everyone will be doing endurance races, not everyone will compete in official events and not everyone will be using a steering wheel. Pretty far from "everyone", actually.

Do you even read for what I posted in this one? I sense blind fanboyism here (baseless claim that they're always fixated with esports when GTS is the one GT game focused on esports, while GT7 is planned as past, present, and future of GT). T10 always had more employees than GT, like iirc in GT5 era, PD has 110, while T10 had 300+. My point is that because they can deliver more features/cars because they had significantly more employee compared to PD.

Do you even read for what I posted in this one? I sense blind fanboyism here (baseless claim that they're always fixated with esports when GTS is the one GT game focused on esports, while GT7 is planned as past, present, and future of GT). T10 always had more employees than GT, like iirc in GT5 era, PD has 110, while T10 had 300+. My point is that because they can deliver more features/cars because they had significantly more employee compared to PD.
You sense wrong. As I already said, and you can read in my previous comment, if I religiously plays both series it is logical that I will tend to like one over the other for my own reasons, especially when I give arguments. Wouldn't you?
Plus a fanboy wouldn't say out loud that FM5 was awful and FM7 an infuriating bug-fest for years, not to mention the outrage at release due to the limited credits given (can't remember exactly) for the ultimate edition owners. But at least T10 does listen to feedback, RESPONDS, and involves users in the improvement of the series....penalty system constantly evolving (improving, unlike "someone" else), ghosting for lapped cars, marshal program, reporting crashers, official wishlists and so on...
When I say PD is always fixated with esports of course I'm talking about GTS, because that's what we've been given for the past 3 years. Do you really think I was talking about previous titles? How?...
GT7 "planned as past, present, and future of GT" yes we've heard claims like these countless times in the past. And I was disappointed. Every single time (GT5, GT6, GTS).
Yes of course T10 has more employees. What stops SONY COMPUTER ENTERTAINMENT from giving PD more resources? PD has been active since 1997. The outsourcing they did, in my opinion, wasn't enough. For GTS and for what is going on for GT7. Look at the content, look at the lack of info, underwhelming first teaser (again, my opinion, before anyone starts bashing), and look at the delay. Games do get delayed, but this is not the first time PD does it. One would think that game developers learn from their mistakes...

PD made 2 bad moves
1) release GT6 on PS3 while everybody was waiting for a glorious PS4 title.
2) release GTS on PS4 with no other titles for that generation: considering the limited content and what the past titles offered, this was not a full game and not worth full price when it came out.

Last edited:
Indeed, the size of each respective studio and how much outsourcing they do is purely down to choice somewhere, and we know historically PD have chosen to stay relatively small and not outsource. T10 chose to do the complete opposite, they still have a relatively small core team but outsource massively for a large part of production.

So it's not exactly right to use it as a defence for slow progress or lack of content. That's their choice, we can only critique the results.

Last edited:
What are you talking about? Gran Turismo has sold more copies than any other PlayStation franchise https://www.google.com/amp/s/gamerant.com/sony-playstation-franchises-ranked-units-sold/amp/ PD has sold 9,5million GT SPORT copies https://www.gtplanet.net/gt-sports-9-5-million-players-20210201/ and the last time Guerrilla gave an update, they had sold 10 million copies of Horizon Zero Dawn. GT SPORT isn't even a normal Gran Turismo game.

Regardless of opinion the next time we see GT7 will most likely be in a state of play showcase stream.

It has become clear given Horizon Zero Dawn is getting a State of Play and we also had a state of play for Ratchet & Clank that this is how Sony intends to 'feed us' details about upcoming games from their publishers.

Methinks we are still awhile away from the one for GT7 but when it does come hopefully it gives us more to talk about!

Regardless of opinion the next time we see GT7 will most likely be in a state of play showcase stream.

It has become clear given Horizon Zero Dawn is getting a State of Play and we also had a state of play for Ratchet & Clank that this is how Sony intends to 'feed us' details about upcoming games from their publishers.

Methinks we are still awhile away from the one for GT7 but when it does come hopefully it gives us more to talk about!

Well I certainly can't see anyone suggesting another event like Copper Box, for sure. Who knows how much that cost them, and then the game ended up getting delayed and it was mostly for nothing.

Great news from Sony's investors call. Now we know for sure that GT7 won't be available for the PS4 which means that it won't get held back by this ancient console!
Screenshot_20210527-141159_YouTube.jpg

Last edited:
Great news from Sony's investors call. Now we know for sure that GT7 won't be available for the PS4 which means that it won't get held back by this ancient console!
To be fair, we've known for sure for a while, it's people in denial using false logic claims like "there is a chance because it can't be categorically disproven" that have clung on to there being a PS4 release and even of those people I think a few just wanted a PS4 release to save buying a PS5 rather than expecting one.

Last edited:
View attachment 1013431
I only see her „big games“ with an estimated launch of 2021.. That says for me nothing. And when GT7 appears, for example end of 2022, it will be another fiscal year.

Last edited:
I only see her „big games“ with an estimated launch of 2021.. That says for me nothing. And when GT7 appears, for example end of 2022, it will be another fiscal year.

That image on it's own is misleading! It's part of an official presentation Sony made and can be found here.

https://www.sony.com/en/SonyInfo/IR/library/presen/irday/pdf/2021/GNS_E.pdf

What that slide was 'confirming' is big titles in development for PS4 so the main 'big titles' that remain are Horizon and Far Cry 6 so if you read between the lines the fact that the GT7 logo is not there means it's definitely a Ps5 only title as it's shown in the PS5 Post Launch, the document is also discussing PS VR 2 so this is all about the future games plans not the fiscal year.

When it was launching holiday 2021 there was still a small but slim possibility of a PS4 version, like Horizon. As soon as it was pushed to 2022, there was no chance they would bother with a cross-platform launch two years into the generation, even with the chips shortage.

I'm sure Kaz said the game is for everyone over eSports. eSports are a part of the game. Not its main selling point.
For people to participate in racing that never raced before(probably an interview in here somewhere).

The initial trailer mentioned 7 to 77. In the game trailer, before Spec 2.0, it reads driving is for everyone. That's the sell. We see majority didn't buy for nor play eSports.

I guess it depends if you just believe what you're told by Polyphony or not. If you want to believe that "can be played by anyone" was an effective marketing technique, and that any number of people saw that who weren't going to buy the game but thought to themselves "thank Christ, I was worried that a four-thumbed window-licker like me wouldn't be able to play something as complex as a game where you hold down a button to drive in circles, Sony take my money" then I've got nothing to convince you otherwise.

And why would a Sony first party studio want to release a game on hardware that's nine years out of date in 2022? They'd be better off releasing on PC than PS4.

After watching that Horizon II demo today, I'm most curious to see what Polyphony will do with the PlayStation 5. The game SHOULD look way better than Driveclub brought to the table.

I guess it depends if you just believe what you're told by Polyphony or not. If you want to believe that "can be played by anyone" was an effective marketing technique, and that any number of people saw that who weren't going to buy the game but thought to themselves "thank Christ, I was worried that a four-thumbed window-licker like me wouldn't be able to play something as complex as a game where you hold down a button to drive in circles, Sony take my money" then I've got nothing to convince you otherwise.
I bought the game and most likely lick my fingers, after I've had some fried chicken.

There's no convincing anyone, you or me, of anything. It's what Kaz said. Whoever wants to believe him or the advertising on tv, the game box, wherever. He said GT Sport is geared to new players that never experienced a racing game. Not hard core Sim racers.

eSports is the focus, but not the main selling point. PD thought it would sell by burning everything down. It didn't work out that way.

And yes, thank goodness Kaz, PD and the rest of the crew, saw it didn't work and will bring back more offline play. Some time this decade anyway.

Did they even use that "7-77" tagline after the delay? I only even recall seeing it in the initial trailer and early web stuff.

The subsequent trailers and marketing material all focused on promoting competitive racing. Lest we forget, they claim Sport Mode is the future of motorsport for the next 100 years. Their YouTube page has also been dominated by eSports content since the game released, as is the website.

They were even promoting the idea of getting a real world racing license via Gran Turismo around launch, although that came to nothing in the end.

I really don't remember they making a big deal of it being inclusive for all after the initial promo blurbs.

I bought the game and most likely lick my fingers, after I've had some fried chicken.

There's no convincing anyone, you or me, of anything. It's what Kaz said. Whoever wants to believe him or the advertising on tv, the game box, wherever. He said GT Sport is geared to new players that never experienced a racing game. Not hard core Sim racers.

eSports is the focus, but not the main selling point. PD thought it would sell by burning everything down. It didn't work out that way.

And yes, thank goodness Kaz, PD and the rest of the crew, saw it didn't work and will bring back more offline play. Some time this decade anyway.

I'd love to know how you know what PD/Kaz think and that they took action on that.

I still don't understand the aloof, smarmy attitude to GT that some people around here have.

Driveclub is still very beautiful and still looks as good if not better than most racers today, it's a bar I'd like to PD pass. I'm sure they can.

I think one of the reasons Driveclub looked so good is because of the environmental detail and effects. I think Gran Turismo has far better car models though. So there’s a bit of give and take imo for which game looks better.

I think one of the reasons Driveclub looked so good is because of the environmental detail and effects. I think Gran Turismo has far better car models though. So there’s a bit of give and take imo for which game looks better.
And that's really where GT needs to improve on graphically. GTS' environments are so stagnant to me while the cars are perfect.

Last edited:
Back