Gran Turismo 7: Latest news and discussion thread

• Thread starter sems4arsenal
  • 38,941 comments
As long as Playstation keep promoting ths footage. Two weeks ago :

This doesn’t really change the fact that we know the footage is old but alright

We all also know that games tend to look different during development and post-release (especially with GT games. I don’t think the Nurb looks like this in the full game;
180FDB90-00C6-4A86-B133-872087958AA9.jpeg

Yet for some reason we continue to imply this game will look the exact same when it launches next year compared to how it looked last year when it was announced.

Odd behaviour

Last edited:
The problem with GT is its hella inconsistent, like the trees some time they look good some times im like wait what? The difference from track to track is really shocking some times. I rather want them to re use the higher quality trees than put some different lower quality trees. But we still need to wait for the final version of the game to judge, like GTS got lots of improvements from beta to final. Here some examples of GTS
ALL GAMEPLAY
you have trees looking like this
e6WrY7E.jpeg

4FaFfUm.jpeg

and you have trees looking like this
3t3NheM.jpeg

DjjakT9.jpeg

I always thought it would be cool if the series could incorporate wind effects like heavy gusts how that could effect the way the car drives and such. Sort of like Ace Combat 7's turbulence gimmick. Could motivate PD to giving us some sexier trees too.

They're definitely behind in terms of environments.

The problem with GT is its hella inconsistent, like the trees some time they look good some times im like wait what? The difference from track to track is really shocking some times. I rather want them to re use the higher quality trees than put some different lower quality trees. But we still need to wait for the final version of the game to judge, like GTS got lots of improvements from beta to final. Here some examples of GTS
ALL GAMEPLAY
you have trees looking like this
e6WrY7E.jpeg

4FaFfUm.jpeg

and you have trees looking like this
3t3NheM.jpeg

DjjakT9.jpeg
It's crazy to think that someone from PD looked at it and said: "This is alright"

Last edited:
You haven't seen the trees from other games then. This is probably the best way they can do to keep the game running at 60fps.
I wouldn't say it's the best they can do, more so that it was an intentional choice. I'd much prefer a compromise when it comes to trees though, over anything else really.

You haven't seen the trees from other games then. This is probably the best way they can do to keep the game running at 60fps.
But it has nothing to do with best they can do or not, when literally in the same game on other tracks like the Ring and Brands Hatch with more trees the trees on there look much better than Laguna or Bathurst. Also the trees in other games look much much better than in GT, have you seen games like Assetto Corsa Competizione, Project Cars 2, Forza Horizon 4? Forza Motorsport 7 has the same problem full of ugly 2d trees. From what we have seen so far, it looks like they use the same trees but with imporved lod at longer distances. Hopefully they show a newer build with improved trees, it doesn't need to be the best looking trees ever just use the highest quality ones from GTS and make sure there are no low quality trees or bad lods.

Honestly, the craziest thing is the tree obsession in a racing game.
It's my first time saying a tree looks horridly awful on GTS, had to follow the trend I couldn't leave myself behind on that

If I had to guess the trees look better on the ring because despite its size it's mostly just a 'tunnel' track, all you can see is the track and the trees for the majority of the track, not really any other scenery. Which means kinder on the FPS.

Honestly you fans should be more insightful on the comparisons... GT Sport is a 60fps game on 8 year old hardware. Most 60 fps games on PS4 OG look like ****, and on PS4PRO they look much worse than their 30fps counterparts. Want proof? See how much better those 30fps games that were patched to run at 60fps on the PS5 look....

This gen is the first gen where we are seeing some amazing looking launch window games at 60fps... the consoles are powerful this time around.
To people comparing other games to GT, that's fine but you need to go apples vs apples, example: You can't compare Assetto Corsa Competizione, PCars 2 and FH4 (30FPS game) running on a bonkers PC to GT running exclusively on the PS4 and PS4PRO.

However you can take those same games (save forza horizon because it's a 30fps game) and compare their PS4 and Xbox One versions to GTS and you will see just how **** they had to make them look to run on the hardware, especially PCARS2 - that game looks so bad on PS4PRO (that translates to PS5 on BC), that I had to stop playing it. It has great AA problems, Reflection quality problems (like GT), Shadow quality problems (like GT), awful alpha effects (unlike GT).

Gran Turismo always looks fantastic and I have no doubt it will look amazing with the fantastic PS5. Amazing how most hardcore fans are nitpicky.

Playing GTSport on the PS5 at the game's max res (1800p Cb), and getting used to the new gen's games graphics, Gran Turismo is lacking on the following:
  • Consistent Grass textures: some look great and some look subpar and blurry.
  • Gameplay LoD: some tracks on GTS suffer from really visible LoD transitions, resulting in annoying pop-in. Plus, some cars are running on their low-poly versions when on gameplay (Toyota FT1 or Old Porsches).
  • Shadow Quality: The shadowing has been a problem since 5 Prologue, it's too inconsistent and buggy. Some tracks have amazing shadow quality and some look really odd with really thin lines and overall lack of definition.
  • Checkerboarded 4K: For a PS4PRO this looked amazing. The game runs on a lower resolution (somewhere like 1440p) and then is Checkerboarded into 1800P. On the PS5, they have better checkerboarding techniques and/or run at a higher native res. This made the game look great last gen but compared to new games, it can look worse. If you want to notice it real quick, see how the thin lines on the cars at Brand Central look.
  • Trees: Gt Sport has some good and some awful looking trees. Lots of tracks use that 2d-3d Tree technique which is a really old way of rendering trees, basically it follows the camera so you can't ever see the side of the trees. This really needs to be better (surprise! that first old trial mountain build already has much better trees!)

All those defects will be hopefully fixed on the new-gen.
  • Grass textures: they look bad on the first trailer, ok. The game is in dev until 2022, wait on them because GTS looked like absolute **** in 2016 and turned out just fine.
  • LoD: this is already looking much better, on the GT7 trailer there is still some shadowing LoD rough transitions but I expect stuff like that to be fixed easily.
  • Shadows: They look quite average on the trailer, as expected for a game in dev. Will look much better at release, we just need it to be consistent between tracks.
  • Res: The game is confirmed Native 4k atm, but that can change. I would hope for a 1600-1800p native res with a temporal upscaling technique similar to Insomniac Games'tech.
  • Trees: GT7's first trailer's trackside detail is already much better than GTS, only blind people will not notice how the rocks and the lightning on the outside of the track look really good, and the game is still in dev, so we just have to wait to judge.
  • Reflections: GT is about to have RayTracing(even the driver showing on the rear mirror?) so IMO that is covered.

Now apart from those bad things, I challenge you to find a better looking racing game. Lightning, Attention to Detail, Car Modelling sets GT apart from any other game. IMO, only game I can see looking much better than GT ATM is Assetto Corsa Competizione on Ultra at 4K, they have a similar lightning system and the game looks great with better reflections, shadows etc... Similarly we have FH4 AND 5 which look better than GT AND ACC, as those games are much more about the beautiful scenery while "racing" hypercars, however their physics are like Need for Speed, resources put into different things. Sorry for the WALL OF TEXT but this is how stuff is on the graphics front, GT is more than fine, with great headroom to focus on other more important things

Honestly you fans should be more insightful on the comparisons... GT Sport is a 60fps game on 8 year old hardware. Most 60 fps games on PS4 OG look like ****, and on PS4PRO they look much worse than their 30fps counterparts. Want proof? See how much better those 30fps games that were patched to run at 60fps on the PS5 look....

This gen is the first gen where we are seeing some amazing looking launch window games at 60fps... the consoles are powerful this time around.
To people comparing other games to GT, that's fine but you need to go apples vs apples, example: You can't compare Assetto Corsa Competizione, PCars 2 and FH4 (30FPS game) running on a bonkers PC to GT running exclusively on the PS4 and PS4PRO.

However you can take those same games (save forza horizon because it's a 30fps game) and compare their PS4 and Xbox One versions to GTS and you will see just how **** they had to make them look to run on the hardware, especially PCARS2 - that game looks so bad on PS4PRO (that translates to PS5 on BC), that I had to stop playing it. It has great AA problems, Reflection quality problems (like GT), Shadow quality problems (like GT), awful alpha effects (unlike GT).

Gran Turismo always looks fantastic and I have no doubt it will look amazing with the fantastic PS5. Amazing how most hardcore fans are nitpicky.

Playing GTSport on the PS5 at the game's max res (1800p Cb), and getting used to the new gen's games graphics, Gran Turismo is lacking on the following:
  • Consistent Grass textures: some look great and some look subpar and blurry.
  • Gameplay LoD: some tracks on GTS suffer from really visible LoD transitions, resulting in annoying pop-in. Plus, some cars are running on their low-poly versions when on gameplay (Toyota FT1 or Old Porsches).
  • Shadow Quality: The shadowing has been a problem since 5 Prologue, it's too inconsistent and buggy. Some tracks have amazing shadow quality and some look really odd with really thin lines and overall lack of definition.
  • Checkerboarded 4K: For a PS4PRO this looked amazing. The game runs on a lower resolution (somewhere like 1440p) and then is Checkerboarded into 1800P. On the PS5, they have better checkerboarding techniques and/or run at a higher native res. This made the game look great last gen but compared to new games, it can look worse. If you want to notice it real quick, see how the thin lines on the cars at Brand Central look.
  • Trees: Gt Sport has some good and some awful looking trees. Lots of tracks use that 2d-3d Tree technique which is a really old way of rendering trees, basically it follows the camera so you can't ever see the side of the trees. This really needs to be better (surprise! that first old trial mountain build already has much better trees!)

All those defects will be hopefully fixed on the new-gen.
  • Grass textures: they look bad on the first trailer, ok. The game is in dev until 2022, wait on them because GTS looked like absolute **** in 2016 and turned out just fine.
  • LoD: this is already looking much better, on the GT7 trailer there is still some shadowing LoD rough transitions but I expect stuff like that to be fixed easily.
  • Shadows: They look quite average on the trailer, as expected for a game in dev. Will look much better at release, we just need it to be consistent between tracks.
  • Res: The game is confirmed Native 4k atm, but that can change. I would hope for a 1600-1800p native res with a temporal upscaling technique similar to Insomniac Games'tech.
  • Trees: GT7's first trailer's trackside detail is already much better than GTS, only blind people will not notice how the rocks and the lightning on the outside of the track look really good, and the game is still in dev, so we just have to wait to judge.
  • Reflections: GT is about to have RayTracing(even the driver showing on the rear mirror?) so IMO that is covered.

Now apart from those bad things, I challenge you to find a better looking racing game. Lightning, Attention to Detail, Car Modelling sets GT apart from any other game. IMO, only game I can see looking much better than GT ATM is Assetto Corsa Competizione on Ultra at 4K, they have a similar lightning system and the game looks great with better reflections, shadows etc... Similarly we have FH4 AND 5 which look better than GT AND ACC, as those games are much more about the beautiful scenery while "racing" hypercars, however their physics are like Need for Speed, resources put into different things. Sorry for the WALL OF TEXT but this is how stuff is on the graphics front, GT is more than fine, with great headroom to focus on other more important things
You still don't understand what im tryna say, lets forget all the other games for a moment and just focus on GT itself. Lets start with the car models, they have one of the best car models on any system currently but in game they are literally PS3 quality (outside the interior view obv.) and on some models super low poly. The shadows where always bad in GT, blocky unfilterd. The reflections are like 20fps and the reflections are super low rez (wich should be fixed now with RT). Then you have the environments which is shocking on some tracks like literally blocky with ps2 textures (its 2m next to the track). Then you have the trees, which like i mentioned sometimes look good sometimes look bad. The lighting and the shaders are super impressive and the highlight in GT which is why it can look so good. But we need to criticize because the same problems keep coming back. When i saw the trailer it had almost the same problems as GTS. The PS5 is much much stronger than PS4, the cpu alone is like 4x times more powerfull. And the PS4 PRO is strong enough to fix most of those problems i mentioned like the shadows and car model lods. Plus if some track look good and some track looks horrible than its not only a power problem but more of a quality control problem. Oh and the other games have dynamic TOD and weather and even Forza Horizon 4 physics is advanced (tuned for more arcade obv.) as the baseline is FM7 physics so its not easier to run than GT's physics. If GT7 has dynamic tod and weather and it looks like it looks now with RT in game at 4K60 than im impressed and am more than happy.
But be honest do you think those belong on a PS4 PRO?
All from gameplay on PS4 PRO
IcJzR8U.jpg

slzV8w3.jpeg

iIXUOFI.jpeg

rAghkWc.jpeg

and some of those in game car models
jivpuI2.png

Those are worst case scenarios obv. But there are too many of them and its jarring for a game with this status. And i don't want to drag this too long and like you said sorry for the WALL OF TEXT. Im gonna stop with this and gonna focus on the good things because its GT, im gonna get it anyway and enjoy it regardless how it looks.

You still don't understand what im tryna say, lets forget all the other games for a moment and just focus on GT itself. Lets start with the car models, they have one of the best car models on any system currently but in game they are literally PS3 quality (outside the interior view obv.) and on some models super low poly. The shadows where always bad in GT, blocky unfilterd. The reflections are like 20fps and the reflections are super low rez (wich should be fixed now with RT). Then you have the environments which is shocking on some tracks like literally blocky with ps2 textures (its 2m next to the track). Then you have the trees, which like i mentioned sometimes look good sometimes look bad. The lighting and the shaders are super impressive and the highlight in GT which is why it can look so good. But we need to criticize because the same problems keep coming back. When i saw the trailer it had almost the same problems as GTS. The PS5 is much much stronger than PS4, the cpu alone is like 4x times more powerfull. And the PS4 PRO is strong enough to fix most of those problems i mentioned like the shadows and car model lods. Plus if some track look good and some track looks horrible than its not only a power problem but more of a quality control problem. Oh and the other games have dynamic TOD and weather and even Forza Horizon 4 physics is advanced (tuned for more arcade obv.) as the baseline is FM7 physics so its not easier to run than GT's physics. If GT7 has dynamic tod and weather and it looks like it looks now with RT in game at 4K60 than im impressed and am more than happy.
IcJzR8U.jpg

slzV8w3.jpeg

iIXUOFI.jpeg

rAghkWc.jpeg

jivpuI2.png

Those are worst case scenarios obv. But there are too many of them and its jarring for a game with this status. And i don't want to drag this too long and like you said sorry for the WALL OF TEXT. Im gonna stop with this and gonna focus on the good things because its GT, im gonna get it anyway and enjoy it regardless how it looks.
Looks like a tessellation bug to me or it wasn't properly working. GT6 has the same thing in 3rd person view.
Polygon count will adapt depending on how demanding the scenes are.
Idk, but honestly not a big deal to me when the game runs smoothly. Go back and play GT6 you would wish they downgraded some of the aspect of the game because it runs so bad and it's unplayable sometimes. They made a lot of compromise to run GTSport at 60fps while making it look good overall. And mind you this game was developed for competitive online racing in mind so performance is probably more important to them than having crazy visuals. I mean they can push the PS4 to its limit if they want to but I don't think the players would appreciate if there are screen tearing and input lag while racing in Sport Mode.

Last edited:
IcJzR8U.jpg

slzV8w3.jpeg

iIXUOFI.jpeg

rAghkWc.jpeg

jivpuI2.png

You lost me when you said some of the car models (I presume in GT Sport) were "literally PS3 quality".

No they are not. If you want to make a point, don't use words like "literally" right before you make a gross exaggeration.

You lost me when you said some of the car models (I presume in GT Sport) were "literally PS3 quality".

No they are not. If you want to make a point, don't use words like "literally" right before you make a gross exaggeration.
I'm not even sure if that's supposed to be a bad thing. The models PD created in GT6 still look amazing to this day. I won't mind if they use the PS3 premium models as standard cars in GT7 but that's not really a good idea because most people wouldn't like having PS3 assets on their new console.

gt6_1.jpg

gt_12.jpg

gt6.jpg

gt6_13.jpg

He said PS3 quality in game (which imo means during race) which is true and not exaggerated.
LOD is much lower than in replay angles / photo mode (and in menu and scapes LOD is even higher).

Back