Gran Turismo 7: Latest news and discussion thread

• Thread starter sems4arsenal
  • 39,187 comments
I'm not even sure if that's supposed to be a bad thing. The models PD created in GT6 still look amazing to this day. I won't mind if they use the PS3 premium models as standard cars in GT7 but that's not really a good idea because most people wouldn't like having PS3 assets on their new console.

View attachment 1070727
View attachment 1070730
View attachment 1070731

View attachment 1070732
Yeah Kaz wasn't kidding about his car models lasting up to a decade, he was very much correct.

Last edited:
I think both of you need to put GT5/6 in your old ps3 and then come back here again.
I did... I also made video comparison on my YT channel containing GT5: Prologue, GT5, GT6 and GT: Sport. Anyway... I know what I'm talking about and btw. you have screenshots a couple of posts earlier showing one of the worst examples of low poly model in game in GT Sport.

Looks like a tessellation bug to me or it wasn't properly working. GT6 has the same thing in 3rd person view.
Polygon count will adapt depending on how demanding the scenes are.

Idk, but honestly not a big deal to me when the game runs smoothly. Go back and play GT6 you would wish they downgraded some of the aspect of the game because it runs so bad and it's unplayable sometimes. They made a lot of compromise to run GTSport at 60fps while making it look good overall. And mind you this game was developed for competitive online racing in mind so performance is probably more important to them than having crazy visuals. I mean they can push the PS4 to its limit if they want to but I don't think the players would appreciate if there are screen tearing and input lag while racing in Sport Mode.

Its no a bug, its on all the cars. I have a thread about it where you can see the difference between photomode and in game lod. And there is a performance mode for that. Why include a performance mode when you gonna make this much compromises, also its just 1 car on a empty track. So again nothing to do with power.

You lost me when you said some of the car models (I presume in GT Sport) were "literally PS3 quality".

No they are not. If you want to make a point, don't use words like "literally" right before you make a gross exaggeration.
I said in game, read it again. There photomode and scape car models are the best in any game, but in game ( gameplay) they are the worst. I will post some examples later and you will see what i mean and no its not lod bug.
I think both of you need to put GT5/6 in your old ps3 and then come back here again.
I think you need to play more GTS to see the lower lods i think.

So we're comparing in-race assets (which is what I originally read and understood). Here:

01.jpg

02.jpg

03.jpg

04.jpg

In every single one of these images there are clear improvements to the quality of the car model in GT Sport despite GT sport running at twice the FPS of either GT5 or GT6.

I can also confirm, having extensively played all 3 games recently my experience is the same, the car models in game are better in GT Sport than the equivilent in GT5/6.

Last edited:
So we're comparing in-race assets (which is what I originally read and understood). Here:

View attachment 1070778
View attachment 1070779
View attachment 1070780
View attachment 1070781

In every single one of these images there are clear improvements to the quality of the car model in GT Sport despite GT sport running at twice the FPS of either GT5 or GT6.

I can also confirm, having extensively played all 3 games recently my experience is the same, the car models in game are better in GT Sport than the equivilent in GT5/6.
Maybe their tech is just outdated and needs a major overhaul.

View attachment 1070778
View attachment 1070779
View attachment 1070780
View attachment 1070781

The difference you see in those video's are from lighting and shaders, you just prove my point the model (lod) itself looks almost identical outside the standard supra (which was a PS2 car quality in a PS3 game). And those are some low rez captures to see the difference properly.
Here have a look how much lower the quality of those cars are in game (watch them on a tv/screen instead of mobile you will notice it immediately)
in game
K4S3MZH.png

photomode
YWsKb0B.png

in game
j4fsIGG.png

photomode
nMWg6Vj.png

ingame
Dhlf8cu.jpg

photomode
KTo87CX.jpg

GT5 and 6 tried for 60fps too but rarely were able to hit it.
This is true but we have a performance mode for a reason and with 1 car on the track it shouldn't be a problem because it can look really ugly sometimes like the FT which is extreme.

The difference you see in those video's are from lighting and shaders, you just prove my point the model (lod) itself looks almost identical outside the standard supra (which was a PS2 car quality in a PS3 game). And those are some low rez captures to see the difference properly.
Here have a look how much lower the quality of those cars are in game (watch them on a tv/screen instead of mobile you will notice it immediately)
in game
K4S3MZH.png

photomode
YWsKb0B.png

in game
j4fsIGG.png

photomode
nMWg6Vj.png

ingame
Dhlf8cu.jpg

photomode
KTo87CX.jpg

This is true but we have a performance mode for a reason and with 1 car on the track it shouldn't be a problem because it can look really ugly sometimes like the FT which is extreme.
The average console gamers are few feet away from their monitor, unless you play GTSport like this
istockphoto-172179476-612x612.jpg

I highly doubt you'd notice those jagged edges, and less detailed LOD. A lot of sports games do that tbh, FIFA, PES, NBA 2k they lower the LOD during gameplay for a more consistent performance.

Last edited:
The average console gamers are few feet away from their monitor, unless you play GTSport like this View attachment 1071412
I highly doubt you'd notice those jagged edges, and less detailed LOD. A lot of sports games do that tbh, FIFA, PES, NBA 2k they lower the LOD during gameplay for a more consistent performance.
Lol, im sitting 1m from my 55 inch 4K OLED. I use it for my pc and playstation so im always sitting close. And believe me i notice it very easy without even looking for it. And again the game already has a performance mode for steady fps and believe me with 1 car on the track they can easily use a higher lod. I do mostly hot laps so it would be really appreciated if they would use a higher quality lod when possible.
YPxnEs5.jpg

47wIwcX.jpg

Even Forza motorsport 4 did it on the 360 (highest lod on track)
look at the interior in FM4 vs interior in GTS in gameplay
Forza Motorsport 4 on Xbox 360
54VD0rI.jpg

vs
GTS on PS4 PRO
NkmZnZZ.jpg

vs
GTS Photomode
RqGWUeo.jpg

Again do you think this is normal, you don't need to sit close or have a big screen to see this.

Those are worst case scenarios obv. But there are too many of them and its jarring for a game with this status. And i don't want to drag this too long and like you said sorry for the WALL OF TEXT. Im gonna stop with this and gonna focus on the good things because its GT, im gonna get it anyway and enjoy it regardless how it looks.
No please, continue 😂
I said in game, read it again. There photomode and scape car models are the best in any game, but in game ( gameplay) they are the worst. I will post some examples later and you will see what i mean and no its not lod bug.
Can always hotlap in cockpit mode if its that bothersome.

But it is interesting how different lods are for different cars. I would guess part of it is artist dependent with some leaning more conservative in polycount vs the auto generated ones.

During gameplay each camera mode runs a different lod interior/exterior, so cockpit view runs a super basic exterior and vice versa. Though the game can easily handle more details as a whole as Whistle Snap has shown the game with headroom / running 38 cars in the rain on the base ps4. Running the photo camera during gameplay loads both the higher quality interior/exterior and runs fine.

7GHDAa5.png

dbZ2Vz1.png

Who knows why they couldnt have the 3rd person cam run higher lods on the Pro when hotlapping at least. It is what it is. There are many things that are a mystery in GTS's development. But it all makes me intrigued how GT7 will turn out. Cant wait for more news!

No please, continue 😂

Can always hotlap in cockpit mode if its that bothersome.

But it is interesting how different lods are for different cars. I would guess part of it is artist dependent with some leaning more conservative in polycount vs the auto generated ones.

During gameplay each camera mode runs a different lod interior/exterior, so cockpit view runs a super basic exterior and vice versa. Though the game can easily handle more details as a whole as Whistle Snap has shown the game with headroom / running 38 cars in the rain on the base ps4. Running the photo camera during gameplay loads both the higher quality interior/exterior and runs fine.

7GHDAa5.png

dbZ2Vz1.png

Who knows why they couldnt have the 3rd person cam run higher lods on the Pro when hotlapping at least. It is what it is. There are many things that are a mystery in GTS's development. But it all makes me intrigued how GT7 will turn out. Cant wait for more news!
That higher quality exterior looks fantastic. Can't see any polygons, even the paint scrape textures look good. Hopefully it looks that great on GT7 without it getting shafted in-favor of ray-tracing and 120FPS modes.
The average console gamers are few feet away from their monitor, unless you play GTSport like this View attachment 1071412
My living room couch is roughly 3 meters away from my TV, and even I notice it. It's very inconsistent, but on cars like the MKIII Supra, it's very distracting in chase cam. That's what happens when the game runs at a high resolution, and the chase cam is super close to the rear of the car. You are going to notice all the details and inperfections, and if you can't... you probably need glasses or a better monitor.

If they had a graphical option on PS4 Pro/PS5 to decrease resolution to get better car LOD's, I would have used it all the time. No point playing in higher resolution if the game isn't going to look that great.

View attachment 1070778
View attachment 1070779
View attachment 1070780
View attachment 1070781

Clear improvements in the model? Because I can absolutely see the improvements in the lighting and materials, but I'd have to start zooming in to try and pinpoint anything that's a clear model improvement, at which point I'm not sure how clear it is. In motion while playing the game, I'm not sure I could pick the difference between a PS3 model and a PS4 model if they're both running in the GTS lighting system. This isn't to say that there aren't improvements in the model, just that they're below the point where they're easily perceptible - such as was the case going from PS1->PS2 or PS2->PS3.

This is the stage that we're at with computer games these days - we've mostly hit the point of diminishing returns with regards to poly count, which is why the graphics tech that is all the rage is to do with lighting and materials. Smart developers will (rightly) put spare graphics horsepower to work on lighting and materials rather than increasing poly counts. Hopefully Polyphony realises that there's better things to do with their time than making 100k poly bolts and screws.

Clear improvements in the model? Because I can absolutely see the improvements in the lighting and materials, but I'd have to start zooming in to try and pinpoint anything that's a clear model improvement, at which point I'm not sure how clear it is. In motion while playing the game, I'm not sure I could pick the difference between a PS3 model and a PS4 model if they're both running in the GTS lighting system. This isn't to say that there aren't improvements in the model, just that they're below the point where they're easily perceptible - such as was the case going from PS1->PS2 or PS2->PS3.

This is the stage that we're at with computer games these days - we've mostly hit the point of diminishing returns with regards to poly count, which is why the graphics tech that is all the rage is to do with lighting and materials. Smart developers will (rightly) put spare graphics horsepower to work on lighting and materials rather than increasing poly counts. Hopefully Polyphony realises that there's better things to do with their time than making 100k poly bolts and screws.
Aboslutely, they aren't huge improvements, but improvements are clearly there. On the Supra for example, look at the rear bumper in GT Sport compared to GT5/6, day and night difference in model quality.

It is a bit harder to spot on some of the other models because the lighting takes away some of the details in GT5/6 in those pics, but similar differences are present, around the wheel arches and bumpers most notably where you can clearly see the GT Sport models are made up of more polygons.

I do agree with your final point, we are definitely at a point of diminishing returns when it comes to polygon count, this is something I've said many times and the key improvements we will see form PS4-PS5 etc. will be the scale of the games levels, volume of content present, 4k at 60fps and the lighting and effects. We're certainly unlikely to see jumps as large as the ones we say when we went from the PS1 to PS2 or even PS2 to PS3 for that matter. The difference in model detail quality rather than texture and lighting quality between generation as has gotten smalled over time.

Last edited:
Aboslutely, they aren't huge improvements, but improvements are clearly there. On the Supra for example, look at the rear bumper in GT Sport compared to GT5/6, day and night difference in model quality.
Maybe you're looking at the original images rather than the 800x450 compressed jpg that GTP gives out. Yeah, the lighting blends a bit better on the Supra's bumper but is that the model? Is it the lighting and shadowing method? Is it tesselation? Is it just the time of day and ambient lighting being different? You're not getting a definitive answer out of a single static 800x450 image, there simply isn't enough information.

I think you know what you're looking for because you've seen it at higher resolution and in motion, where it's probably much clearer. From those single images saying anything as a certainty is pretty hard, and saying it's a night and day difference is just not truthful. In motion at full res maybe, if I go and watch videos I can see the differences. But you can't justify that statement based on only the images that you've presented. Standard models and Premium models on PS3 were night and day - it was impossible to confuse them unless they were very far away even in tiny thumbnails. This? Nah.

Take better pictures that actually show the differences or just use video. I'm not saying you're wrong, I'm just saying that the evidence that you're showing people to back up your argument is wildly unconvincing.

[...]
How to say it.... Supra model in GT5 / GT6 was taken straight from the GT3 / GT4 (from PlayStation 2) so it's obvious that you see improvements in GT Sport with brand new premium model.

Maybe you're looking at the original images rather than the 800x450 compressed jpg that GTP gives out. Yeah, the lighting blends a bit better on the Supra's bumper but is that the model? Is it the lighting and shadowing method? Is it tesselation? Is it just the time of day and ambient lighting being different? You're not getting a definitive answer out of a single static 800x450 image, there simply isn't enough information.

I think you know what you're looking for because you've seen it at higher resolution and in motion, where it's probably much clearer. From those single images saying anything as a certainty is pretty hard, and saying it's a night and day difference is just not truthful. In motion at full res maybe, if I go and watch videos I can see the differences. But you can't justify that statement based on only the images that you've presented. Standard models and Premium models on PS3 were night and day - it was impossible to confuse them unless they were very far away even in tiny thumbnails. This? Nah.

Take better pictures that actually show the differences or just use video. I'm not saying you're wrong, I'm just saying that the evidence that you're showing people to back up your argument is wildly unconvincing.
Valid points, however I'm going to park it here. It's important to remember the original claim is that the car models in race in GT Sport are the same ones as in race on the PS3 therefore the burden of proof does not lie with me, it lies with the original claim.

Lighting and shadows and tessellation and massive factors certainly, but I can see more sharp angles in the car models in GT5 and GT6 than in GT Sport in general.

There are a lot of things to consider, you have the showroom LOD's, photomode, standard and premium cars on PS3 so there are many ways a comparison can be unfair deliberately or not.

If this debate continues I may at some point be able to provide a better comparison, however half my house is packed into boxes right now so it won't be soon.

Last edited:
Are there any YT videos where I can see what GT7 will look like? I mean are there any good tutorial vids?

Why has this thread descended into a load of waffle about trees?

GT7 has much more pressing issues at hand to make me want to purchase the game at full price.
Little things like some decent AI to race against and varying weather conditions.

Gran Turismo has fallen way behind other racing games ever since the PS3 era and I don't think some higher quality trees is going to affect that.

Unfortunately (maybe not the right word), trees have been part of any GT discussion, in the 9 years since I joined. Serious business to those concerned. Can't just sweep it under the virtual rug.
There are threads about AI and weather conditions as well.

I'd like to cancel my PS+, due to a proper Arcade/GT League/Simulation Mode(if that doesn't involve Sport Mode type events). If the replayability is high, I won't feel the need to venture Sport Mode.

Lol, im sitting 1m from my 55 inch 4K OLED. I use it for my pc and playstation so im always sitting close. And believe me i notice it very easy without even looking for it. And again the game already has a performance mode for steady fps and believe me with 1 car on the track they can easily use a higher lod. I do mostly hot laps so it would be really appreciated if they would use a higher quality lod when possible.
YPxnEs5.jpg
You can barely see anything on-screen in that AE composition!

in game
K4S3MZH.png

photomode
YWsKb0B.png

in game
j4fsIGG.png

photomode
nMWg6Vj.png

ingame
Dhlf8cu.jpg

photomode
KTo87CX.jpg

Most of the cars have a perfect lod ingame, only a certain number of cars have lod problems ingame. They have to fix only those cars in GT7. The cars below are the proof that the PS4 il full capable to render very high lod even ingame

Ingame
1yzjy6.png

Photomode
2rxjim.jpg

Ingame
3ymj0i.png

Photomode
4d9k5j.jpg

Ingame
5eqj4d.png

Ingame
6ukk3w.png

Photomode
7j2klq.jpg

Ingame
82dj4m.png

Photomode
9b3kgu.jpg

Ingame
10rtk1p.png

Ingame
11nfjja.png

Photomode
12tdkb6.jpg

Ingame
1337j0s.png

Photomode
14ruk36.jpg

Ingame
1506j41.png

Ingame
16cskuf.png

Photomode
17e4jtq.jpg

Ingame
18csktd.png

Photomode
19ckkg5.jpg

Ingame
20h0jay.png

Ingame
218zkis.png

Photomode
22iuj7f.jpg

Ingame
231mjx6.png

Photomode
24aakxt.jpg

Ingame
25b9jpf.png

Ingame
26j7jr8.png

Photomode
27ezk27.jpg

Ingame
280kk1i.png

Photomode
29h3khq.jpg

Ingame
30arkoe.png

Last edited:
These are good but still clearly less detailed than the photo mode models. For PS5 they should use the GT Sport photo mode models in game and GT Sport menu/scapes models in photo mode.

Why has this thread descended into a load of waffle about trees?
Because this is what happens when GTP is waiting for information about a new game. Until Polyphony gives us something else to talk about, we're stuck with whatever they've already put out.

Also, trees in GT are a meme that is almost on the level of vacuum cleaner sounds even if neither of them are really that true any more.

Back