Gran Turismo 7: Latest news and discussion thread

• Thread starter sems4arsenal
  • 38,956 comments
Then the option should exist. Heck, I'm not even happy about getting a bunch of credits for the anniversary edition. If that were an option I'd turn that off as well.
I think there will be an option to not download dlc with cars and credits for the preorder version

One thing I've realized lately, is that it seems like there'll be at least a little overlap between the GT Cafe collections and the various campaign events, with the French Hot Hatches motif being one such example. I could see there being similar motifs where there's both a collection and an event, especially if these events from previous games return:

Race of the Red "R" Emblem
Nissan Skyline GT-R (KPGC10)
Nissan Skyline GT-R (R32)
Nissan Skyline GT-R (R33)
Nissan Skyline GT-R (R34)

Type R Meeting
Honda NSX Type R '92
Honda Integra Type R '98
Honda Civic Type R '98

Evolution Meeting
Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution IV
Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution V
Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution VI
Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution X Final Edition

Supra Legend
Toyota Supra (A70)
Toyota Supra (A80)
Toyota GR Supra (A90)

Z Heritage
Nissan Fairlady Z (Z33)
Nissan Fairlady Z (Z34)
Nissan Fairlady Z 300ZX

Silvia Sisters
Nissan Silvia K's
Nissan Silvia Q's
Nissan Silvia Spec-R Aero

Stars of Pleiades

Subaru Impreza STi 22B '98
Subaru Impreza WRX STi Type R '99
Subaru WRX STI Type S '14

However, with all this in mind, I'm not sure if there'll be collections that will feature cars all from the same automaker, or if most (if not all) of them will try to feature as wide of a variety of manufacturers as possible. I do know the Kei Car collection has two Honda models as well as the Daihatsu Copen, but even then, that's not the same as something like a "Type R" collection, which would entirely feature Honda models.

I could see the collections having solid synergy with the campaign events, where if you buy a car to compete in a given campaign event, you've already begun to work towards completing a given collection. Maybe you could even have a random prize car that fits into the event's motif, and would also work towards the collection.
Which is why I'd want for the events to have varying levels, like games such as GT2 or GT3. Like the low level Supra Legend event have the race with the car stock, the mid level Supra Legend event having a race with moderately tuned cars (like GT1's GT Cup with 452hp Supra), and the high level Supra Legend event can have max-tuned Supras or also even add the Supra GT500 into the mix.

Okay, the full reveal of the rear 3/4. :D

GT&PFull.png

Last edited:
ZEE
Dimmassa19, Do you not have higher resolution version of this picture art by any chance, the Porsche is still puzzling me. It defo not the Vision 918 RS.

I need to know what is it man! lol. :drool:
I searched, but so far I couldn't find it. :(

ZEE
Dimmassa19, Do you not have higher resolution version of this picture art by any chance, the Porsche is still puzzling me. It defo not the Vision 918 RS.

I need to know what is it man! lol. :drool:
Zee - My take on this is that we are looking at the future street-friendly version of the Porsche Mission R. Porsche came straight out during the reveal and said there will be a future street car derived from the Porsche Mission R. Considering all of the rumors are that the next Cayman will be all-electric, I am fairly confident the car is a concept rendering of the upcoming Cayman with all the flair that concept cars tend to have (big fender flares, big wheels, etc.). Given the double-bumps on the back of this concept - it is very likely to be in fact the next-gen Boxster. I will not be surprised if this first appears in GT7 as a "Porsche Vision GT" a couple of years before the production Boxster/Cayman is revealed. This is not unlike how the BMW Vision Gran Turismo in 2014 was a precursor to the production 2016 BMW M2 with a lot of similarities.

e6f2197_porsche-mission-r-concept-iaa-munich-2021_625x300_07_September_21.jpg

Last edited:
well said @hankolerd, but do you think PD are holding it back with Porsche's support, for a large reveal closer to game launch? As we have yet to see any indication that it could be a boxster/cayman reveal as the current gen cayman model is getting on a bit.

I only problem I have with the mission R has the light bar has the porsche symbol inside not underneath like on the vehicle in the GT7 artwork render. GT always has a trend of cars on the cover that are unobtainable in reality lol.

Last edited:
You're right about the repackaging part but that's not what I was referring to. I was referring to how games like CoD and others that seem to be annual releases almost seem to have no history at all, and the players move on from one to the next and completely forget about what came before it. While on the surface the license tests are technically just the same thing over and over again, I view that as a rite of passage and the game developers making a conscious effort to connect new games to the classics. An important factor to demonstrate is that while GT almost fell into the multiplayer trap, the developers decided to bring it back to its roots, rather than just repackage the same multiplayer-focused game every year.
You bring up a very important point. GT has a traceable lineage that many games do not have. A lot of developers have either forgotten or abandoned their roots, failing to create games that resonate in the long term.

You're right about the repackaging part but that's not what I was referring to. I was referring to how games like CoD and others that seem to be annual releases almost seem to have no history at all, and the players move on from one to the next and completely forget about what came before it. While on the surface the license tests are technically just the same thing over and over again, I view that as a rite of passage and the game developers making a conscious effort to connect new games to the classics. An important factor to demonstrate is that while GT almost fell into the multiplayer trap, the developers decided to bring it back to its roots, rather than just repackage the same multiplayer-focused game every year.

I might just be biased because this is the series I've chosen to follow and study. I've got that old-head culture because I've experienced all the others so maybe I don't get what other series are bringing to the table.
That keeping at least some form of licence test is important to the identity of the series is a fair argument to make. They are iconic.

But is it possible to have licence tests that better serve their function of teaching players and allowing them to hone their skills, as well as making them something more appealing to more experienced players for whom the nostalgia alone is not enough? I'm not sure anyone wants boring content included simply for the sake of nostalgia, that's just a fancy way of making the game worse. It's possible to include nostalgic content without also perpetuating all the flaws. The best nostalgic content is that which takes the best parts of what you remember and fixes up the worst parts.

Think about something like Resident Evil 2. The clunky controls and awkward camera were incredibly important to the identity of the game and the atmosphere that it wanted to create. But the developers didn't just copy the 1998 implementation, they put effort into designing new methods to keep these elements in a way that would be engaging and fun for players in 2019.

I don't think it's too much to expect Polyphony to do the same. They are professional developers, this is their job. Rehashing old content to make a quick buck is a terrible business plan.

That keeping at least some form of licence test is important to the identity of the series is a fair argument to make. They are iconic.

But is it possible to have licence tests that better serve their function of teaching players and allowing them to hone their skills, as well as making them something more appealing to more experienced players for whom the nostalgia alone is not enough? I'm not sure anyone wants boring content included simply for the sake of nostalgia, that's just a fancy way of making the game worse. It's possible to include nostalgic content without also perpetuating all the flaws. The best nostalgic content is that which takes the best parts of what you remember and fixes up the worst parts.

Think about something like Resident Evil 2. The clunky controls and awkward camera were incredibly important to the identity of the game and the atmosphere that it wanted to create. But the developers didn't just copy the 1998 implementation, they put effort into designing new methods to keep these elements in a way that would be engaging and fun for players in 2019.

I don't think it's too much to expect Polyphony to do the same. They are professional developers, this is their job. Rehashing old content to make a quick buck is a terrible business plan.
How could PD spice up the process of teaching basic driving techniques? The principles will always be static, and therefore I struggle to see how PD can teach them again without repetition.

How could PD spice up the process of teaching basic driving techniques? The principles will always be static, and therefore I struggle to see how PD can teach them again without repetition.
So there's only one way to teach basic driving techniques? Huh.

I guess there's only one way to teach math as well (since mathematical principles are static kind of by definition), that's why that's famously been taught exactly the same way for hundreds of years. And working absolutely fine for people too!

So there's only one way to teach basic driving techniques? Huh.

I guess there's only one way to teach math as well (since mathematical principles are static kind of by definition), that's why that's famously been taught exactly the same way for hundreds of years. And working absolutely fine for people too!
Why do you respond to my question with a question? That doesn’t help me understand how PD could actually innovate the educational aspect of the game.

I don't know if I'm wrong in saying this, but from what I know many do only use that certain way to teach math, and probably one of the reasons some would find classrooms boring.

Myself and @o000o mentioned some ideas in another thread. I think you could sum it up basically by not dragging out the same style tests from B and A, and instead teaching practical skills like racecraft, overtaking, clean racing, etc. The B and possibly even A tests would be useful for learning the core mechanics of the game but that's about it. The rest could be actually fun racing challenges.

Myself and @o000o mentioned some ideas in another thread. I think you could sum it up basically by not dragging out the same style tests from B and A, and instead teaching practical skills like racecraft, overtaking, clean racing, etc. The B and possibly even A tests would be useful for learning the core mechanics of the game but that's about it. The rest could be actually fun racing challenges.
Fair point. Though, I’m afraid this ground will be covered with Mission Challenge, which appears to return for GT7.

Why do you respond to my question with a question? That doesn’t help me understand how PD could actually innovate the educational aspect of the game.
You've been on the forums since 2010, so presumably you're at least 11 years old. If you literally cannot think of any other possible ways to teach driving techniques other than what is available in Gran Turismo, then me telling you some isn't going to help. If you're actually so closed-minded that you believe that there is only one way to teach driving and that Polyphony found it in 1997, then anything I say as a response is just going to be something that you can dismiss out of hand.

So I skipped to the interesting part and pointed out the flaw in your thinking. That took the form of a rhetorical question, to better frame how nonsensical the idea that anything would have only one way of teaching it was.
I don't know if I'm wrong in saying this, but from what I know many do only use that certain way to teach math, and probably one of the reasons some would find classrooms boring.
Exactly. It doesn't work for math, and actually it doesn't work for anything. There are many ways to teach any subject, and even among those many ways different people will have personal preferences for what they find works best. It's beyond belief that any one method for teaching a subject is absolutely optimal and beyond improvement, let alone that it was created for driving in a 1997 video game.

Nostalgia is one thing, but people using nostalgia as a weapon against any improvement is bonkers. Wanting to keep licence tests in some form is understandable. Wanting licence tests exactly as they existed in 1997 because that's somehow the best and only way to teach driving is demonstrably silly.

Gran Turismo is also for kids. Stop that egocentricity where only you exist, the tests work because they teach basic concepts that are universal, a kid and old people can learn how to brake or whatever.

Last edited:
Gran Turismo is also for kids. Stop that egocentricity where only you exist, the tests work because they teach basic concepts that are universal, a kid and old people can learn how to brake or whatever.
Right, it's so egocentric of me to suggest that more than one way of teaching exists and that other people might find a different way more helpful. My bad, I'll see myself out.

:rolleyes:

Point out where someone said otherwise.

Fair point. Though, I’m afraid this ground will be covered with Mission Challenge, which appears to return for GT7.
I'd say Mission Challenge is more of a final exam test, you have to be already really good at the game to complete it (at least the GT4 one), while the Licenses are the education/training for that (you can pass at Bronze, albeit getting Gold is still hard).

Exactly. It doesn't work for math, and actually it doesn't work for anything. There are many ways to teach any subject, and even among those many ways different people will have personal preferences for what they find works best. It's beyond belief that any one method for teaching a subject is absolutely optimal and beyond improvement, let alone that it was created for driving in a 1997 video game.

Nostalgia is one thing, but people using nostalgia as a weapon against any improvement is bonkers. Wanting to keep licence tests in some form is understandable. Wanting licence tests exactly as they existed in 1997 because that's somehow the best and only way to teach driving is demonstrably silly.
Unfortunately for the subject teaching (again, dunno if I'm wrong) there'd be many cases where if someone (young ones particularly) makes a suggestion for different methods (against a certain method that is deemed as the best, usually what seniors do), they'd be silenced and they're expected to adapt to it, no buts.

I actually would disapprove of nostalgia bias (double standard where "Any film/song/videogame/etc. made after a certain year is bad. Anything made beforehand is good. Regardless of actual quality"), mostly I will try to give reasons other than nostalgia (like being similar to previous games) to add up a past content (and I actually hate games removing contents in newer ones, not bad ones ofc, which can happen in several other series). Like for example, I want the tuning back not because GT1-GT6 have it, but because GT should keep some educational factor there. The counteract to nostalgia of blindly thinking that "any past stuff is bad and only good because of nostalgia filters" is equally as bad however.

Back