Gran Turismo 7: Latest news and discussion thread

• Thread starter sems4arsenal
  • 38,931 comments
Which is usually because of licensing not being finalized. Look at what happened to Forza Horizon 5 for example and how a lot of Fiat brands just dissappeared despite them having been present and seen in previous gameplay footage.
Which is not exactly unheard of either. Both are very typical things in this industry, especially of late. Whatever the reason for not being finalized is irrelevant really, it can be a multitude of things, and doesn't change the fact that we more or less get more cars on launch then when the initial information releases. Even more so when the information is released half a year before release, or even longer.

Bruh we get it you're a racer...

But yes he mentions controlling high performance machines, we know he's a bit advocate for the World Tour and competitive racing, It's not going away

Look my concern is that the AI has sucked for years and there's really nothing that hes said that suggests it's going to change for GT7

Sport Mode is great but you only get a maximum of six different races a week, two thirds of these will be group 3 or group 4. If i want to pick some road car like an FC RX7 and have a good race, I am out of luck.

Last edited:
By far the best strat’ is not showing the list at all. I remember playing Gran Turismo 4 and still not knowing what cars were in it. Every new unlock was a surprise
It becomes quite difficult to promote if you don't show at least some cars. I don't envy the ad agency that has to come up with the line "More than some cars from famous brands like that one you know, including the incredible one everyone loves" during a TV spot in which everything is either out of focus or a blur (or both) and makes no distinguishable sound.

Assuming the track list is similarly unreferenced, all the shots would have to be straight down on an area of grass, so as not to spoil whether there's rally as well as surfaced courses.

That'd kinda piss off the brands as well, as they're expecting to be promoted as part of the game's promotion, making it a bit tricky for the next title. And that's probably part of the reason why all the cars are revealed ahead of launch now.

You can't just show the "best" 50 - customers get disappointed when they see 50 Porsche, Ferrari, and Lamborghini cars in the ads and then get 400 Nissans, Mitsubishis, and Toyotas, because they think the ads are representative rather than a best-of list. You can't just show a Porsche, a Ferrari, a Lamborghini, a Nissan, a Mitsubishi, and a Toyota, because the brands all want their cars promoting. More than that, they want their current cars promoting; fans might lust after classics, but the brands don't want those promoting because they can't sell you one of them.

So they can't really reveal some, and it's pretty much impossible to promote without revealing any. Which leaves us with all - or at least almost all...

Maybe it's just me trying too hard to be clever after having two beers, but I just wanted to say something. Contrary to what many people say, Gran Turismo games do have a story: yours. And much like the tabletop RPGs that both feature emergent gameplay and inspired the various RPG genres of videogames, it can unfold in quite literally countless ways. I suppose I just wanted to express my appreciation for that, especially in the context of the recent "Starting Line" trailer for GT7.

In this regard, I plan to mostly use Scapes to photograph my own creations. "My own creations" being the cars I outfit with all sorts of parts, especially visual ones like rear wings, wheels, canards, and bodykits, and then I will proceed to create a very basic livery for these cars that mainly feature the part manufacturers that I used, as well as brands used for my racing gear like Arai and Puma, and whoever the official timekeeper may be this time around. (Whether it's TAG-Heuer again or another watchmaker remains to be seen.) Only when my creation is complete will I take it into Scapes. And as for Scapes set at racetracks, I'd much rather do some hot-lapping (or even racing) at that course and then take some photos, if it's a course that's already in the game, like Le Mans, Fuji, or Monza, barring parts of the track that cannot be driven on, like the abandoned sections of Fuji.

On this topic, I'm hoping we get far more OEM colors available in the livery editor - maybe even all of them. I like painting a car in a color that's from the same brand, even if it wasn't available on that model in particular. For example, a Ferrari 288 GTO in Nero Daytona.

Last edited:
Which is usually because of licensing not being finalized. Look at what happened to Forza Horizon 5 for example and how a lot of Fiat brands just dissappeared despite them having been present and seen in previous gameplay footage.

Or a more local example: GT Sport and the Lotus debacle. The Evora was literally playable in the Closed Beta but Lotus just cancelled on the final GT Sport and never came back.
Speaking of Lotus... looks like it won't return in GT7. So sad... loved the Elise & Esprit. And even the german counterpart, the Speedster is absent with the whole of Opel/Vauxhall.

was Volvo bought by geely as well? because otherwise im not sure why Volvo wasn't in gt sport. another European brand I want in gt is Skoda but that is highly unlikely

We had SEAT in past GTs. Skoda is possible.
I feel like with subsidiary brands it's more up to the parent company whether they're in or not, and less a choice of PD (or other devs). So for example if VW want to promote Skoda models in the game they'll ask them to include them, otherwise they'll probably see most value in just promoting VWs in a video game, or other subsidiaries.

I could be 100% wrong though, but it seems logical to me that it's the parent companies decision, and that decision is ultimately going to be what helps them sell the most cars. Because business.

I feel like with subsidiary brands it's more up to the parent company whether they're in or not, and less a choice of PD (or other devs). So for example if VW want to promote Skoda models in the game they'll ask them to include them, otherwise they'll probably see most value in just promoting VWs in a video game, or other subsidiaries.

I could be 100% wrong though, but it seems logical to me that it's the parent companies decision, and that decision is ultimately going to be what helps them sell the most cars. Because business.
that could explain the absence of Rolls-Royce, Bentley etc.

I see possibilities in Motorsport as well. Skoda had a good presence in rally during the GT6 era. We don’t get to see certain cars for a while. I understand Skoda isn’t as global as the other members of the VW family, but there’s Bugatti. Not sure if being in GT is going to help sales. Not about you being wrong or right. I agree with you about who will make the call to include cars. We’ve learned some reasons, about why cars are not included/missing in GT, over the years(Lotus, Caterham, Volvo, SCG, etc.).

Even though nissimp posted highly unlikely, we just never know with PD. Like that lone SEAT. Why the heck was that included?

This was in the news a week ago, I find "trading of in-game items" particularly interesting.

October 15, 2021 – TRON, one of the largest blockchain-based operating systems in the world, is announcing an upcoming partnership with Sony Interactive Entertainment today.

Tron will provide the gaming company with its blockchain and expertise to enable in-game purchases, trading of in-game items and facilitate fast, cross-border payments on top of the Tron infrastructure.

https://news.bitcoin.com/tron-partn...ment-to-enhance-blockchain-gaming-experience/

Maybe it's just me trying too hard to be clever after having two beers, but I just wanted to say something. Contrary to what many people say, Gran Turismo games do have a story: yours. And much like the tabletop RPGs that both feature emergent gameplay and inspired the various RPG genres of videogames, it can unfold in quite literally countless ways. I suppose I just wanted to express my appreciation for that, especially in the context of the recent "Starting Line" trailer for GT7.
If you want to go this way though, tabletop RPGs (and pretty much all RPGs) provide some story and structure around the player. If you're playing D&D, you're not thrown into a random town at a random time and you just do whatever. You're there because the DM or scenario writer has something interesting put together, and it's your job as a player to go and interact with that. Your story has the chance to become interesting specifically because you're in an environment where there are interesting things to do.

Many, many moons ago, a lot of video game RPGs took this to mean that simple grinding to increase your character's power was enough for "good" gameplay. You kill rabbits on the plains, you kill coyotes in the desert, you kill bears in the forest, you get stronger, you go fight BBEG, job done. That's roughly where GT was in 1997, you do race, you get better car, you do more race until you do the final race. You win, good job.

RPGs have progressed, with the understanding that they're usually primarily a vehicle for story. Even the RPGs from the 90s that have held up have primarily done so because of the story elements. There are people who get deep into the mechanics of combat or whatever else and that's fine, but it's turned out that RPGs seem to work the best when they have a strong story as the backbone. That doesn't mean that you have to dictate absolutely what the player does, you can allow staggering amounts of freedom and have it work very well. But you do need to be giving the player situations in which there is the opportunity for them to make interesting decisions and feel like they're partaking in something that is greater than themselves. That's the role of the developer or DM, to provide the players the tools to enable them to tell their own story and a world in which to play it out.

This is where Gran Turismo has not done as well historically. A list of races is not something that is terribly engaging, just as a list of animals to go kill in an RPG isn't terribly engaging. It doesn't feel like a world that you're interacting with, it feels like a list of challenges to tick off.

But it doesn't take much.

You grew up in the plains a starving waif because the rabbit plague ate all your crops. As a teenager you choose to put together a party of your friends to kill rabbits and build rabbit fencing. Along the way you discover that the rabbits had been forced out of their natural habitat by the coyotes so you choose to go to investigate. The coyotes attack you and you have to defend yourself, but it turns out that the coyotes had been encouraged to attack the rabbits by some mysterious third power. You choose to direct the coyotes to open land where they're not in conflict with the rabbits, and this weird evil guy turns up to try and stop you. You fend him off but take a beating. You choose to go home, but then you hear that the coyotes were wiped out and that the rabbits are under attack too. You choose to go to find out if you're next, and have to fight your way through the evil sorcerors army of bears to find out that he's an evil guy that's evil because his mommy hit him with a spoon. You choose to fight him because you're strong enough after taking on the bear army, you win, you saved the day. Congratulations.

Same as before, but now because there's structure around killing rabbits and coyotes and bears it's far more engaging. Something was happening in the world, you made choices, stuff happened, you felt involved. And that's me not being a professional game designer or story teller and knocking out a basic thing in five minutes around the task of killing three types of animals. Look at real modern RPGs for how they take what is basically menial tasks and make them feel like engaging parts of a narrative. GT could put stuff in to make it's career mode more than just a list of races if they wanted to. They don't even have to change any of the actual races, they just need to put something in so that the player isn't having to do all the work of trying to intuit some zero-to-hero story out of thin air. Let the player create their own story, but give them something to work with.

@Harsk100 A very old stuff, but it seems that your suggestion to merge certain car aspects as options is implemented in GT7 at least in Livery, with the Super GT cars being named like this:
t7iplx9s2pm71.png

Don't get my hopes up...
dont-give-me-hope-meme-3-768x409.jpg

@Harsk100 A very old stuff, but it seems that your suggestion to merge certain car aspects as options is implemented in GT7 at least in Livery, with the Super GT cars being named like this:
t7iplx9s2pm71.png

dont-give-me-hope-meme-3-768x409.jpg
With cars being named like that (same issue with the BMW M6 GT3), it worries me that we won't get to have different livery variants as separate cars (Forza-style) and that I also worry that we won't get other licensed liveries as default liveries on its color selection in Arcade Mode and any of the three dealerships. These cars are technically not duplicates even if they're the same car as they represent another racing team and could have minor performance and/or aesthetic differences.

Forza, on the other hand, still has a livery editor, and still counts certain licensed livery variants of other race cars as separate cars.

Last edited:
With cars being named like that (same issue with the BMW M6 GT3), it worries me that we won't get to have different livery variants as separate cars (Forza-style) and that I also worry that we won't get other licensed liveries as default liveries on its color selection in Arcade Mode and any of the three dealerships. These cars are technically not duplicates even if they're the same car as they represent another racing team and could have minor performance and/or aesthetic differences.

Forza, on the other hand, still has a livery editor, and still counts certain licensed livery variants of other race cars as separate cars.
I'm hoping for the livery variants to be provided as the color selection of the race cars. GT-R Super GT (as it appeared on GTS), with the car being named "GT-R GT500 '08" with "Xanavi Nismo/Motul Autech/Yellowhat YMS Tomica/Calsonic Impul/Woodone Advan Clarion Livery" as color selections. Though for Castrol Tom's Supra, well I guess it won't have other livery as color selection (though I hope for that), as it's the only '97 GT500 Supra in GT so far. That's what I think is the best for implementing race, but not take up more place, though iirc it's harder to implement due to sponsorship, and I'd still prefer livery variants as separate cars rather than only one race car due to it having same performance and have Super GT races consist of only dozens of Xanavi Nismo GT-R '08.

If you want to go this way though, tabletop RPGs (and pretty much all RPGs) provide some story and structure around the player. If you're playing D&D, you're not thrown into a random town at a random time and you just do whatever. You're there because the DM or scenario writer has something interesting put together, and it's your job as a player to go and interact with that. Your story has the chance to become interesting specifically because you're in an environment where there are interesting things to do.

Many, many moons ago, a lot of video game RPGs took this to mean that simple grinding to increase your character's power was enough for "good" gameplay. You kill rabbits on the plains, you kill coyotes in the desert, you kill bears in the forest, you get stronger, you go fight BBEG, job done. That's roughly where GT was in 1997, you do race, you get better car, you do more race until you do the final race. You win, good job.

RPGs have progressed, with the understanding that they're usually primarily a vehicle for story. Even the RPGs from the 90s that have held up have primarily done so because of the story elements. There are people who get deep into the mechanics of combat or whatever else and that's fine, but it's turned out that RPGs seem to work the best when they have a strong story as the backbone. That doesn't mean that you have to dictate absolutely what the player does, you can allow staggering amounts of freedom and have it work very well. But you do need to be giving the player situations in which there is the opportunity for them to make interesting decisions and feel like they're partaking in something that is greater than themselves. That's the role of the developer or DM, to provide the players the tools to enable them to tell their own story and a world in which to play it out.

This is where Gran Turismo has not done as well historically. A list of races is not something that is terribly engaging, just as a list of animals to go kill in an RPG isn't terribly engaging. It doesn't feel like a world that you're interacting with, it feels like a list of challenges to tick off.

But it doesn't take much.

You grew up in the plains a starving waif because the rabbit plague ate all your crops. As a teenager you choose to put together a party of your friends to kill rabbits and build rabbit fencing. Along the way you discover that the rabbits had been forced out of their natural habitat by the coyotes so you choose to go to investigate. The coyotes attack you and you have to defend yourself, but it turns out that the coyotes had been encouraged to attack the rabbits by some mysterious third power. You choose to direct the coyotes to open land where they're not in conflict with the rabbits, and this weird evil guy turns up to try and stop you. You fend him off but take a beating. You choose to go home, but then you hear that the coyotes were wiped out and that the rabbits are under attack too. You choose to go to find out if you're next, and have to fight your way through the evil sorcerors army of bears to find out that he's an evil guy that's evil because his mommy hit him with a spoon. You choose to fight him because you're strong enough after taking on the bear army, you win, you saved the day. Congratulations.
Don't know if I did get about what you're saying but how about something such as GT Cafe where to you it'd feel like forcing collecting as a gameplay mode?

Otherwise it's a reasonable explanation about the evolution of RPG-style gameplay, but the conflict of adding a story where the gameplay is meant to be a vehicle for that is about the player's freedom to play the game their own way. Not GT or RPG-style, but even for F1 2021, Braking Point is separate from the other main career modes My Team or Driver Career. Though true it's developer's choice to add more substance to the gameplay but not restrcting the players.
Same as before, but now because there's structure around killing rabbits and coyotes and bears it's far more engaging. Something was happening in the world, you made choices, stuff happened, you felt involved. And that's me not being a professional game designer or story teller and knocking out a basic thing in five minutes around the task of killing three types of animals. Look at real modern RPGs for how they take what is basically menial tasks and make them feel like engaging parts of a narrative. GT could put stuff in to make it's career mode more than just a list of races if they wanted to. They don't even have to change any of the actual races, they just need to put something in so that the player isn't having to do all the work of trying to intuit some zero-to-hero story out of thin air. Let the player create their own story, but give them something to work with.
Gotta say that not having an occupation in a prestigious company or anything comparable doesn't necessarily make one inherently worse than those who do, or that they know nothing. I think that those kind of people, transformative fans, have what it takes albeit only in idea, but not necessarily about the computing skills to realize those, and those people are ordinary citizens without a reputation to name (or huge number of suggestions too) so they can get overlooked more by companies or such. Don't know if this relates, but I think an example is how most of game's adaptations like movies are done by companies with no passion regarding the media, making them a terrible adaptation, while transformative fans (can be those who make fanarts, or well-received fanfics, etc.) will probably handle it better due to their passion, but don't have the publicity or occupation for that. making them more overlooked.

In GT5 and GT6, those livery variations counted as separate cars (with effect on the final car count), including the base models. The justification was "there was no livery editor and they had (very) slight differences between eachother".

Now, we have a livery editor and those slight differences between cars are irrelevant for their purpose, so why would they waste resources on specific liveries for certain cars, when really talented players already do that? I'd rather see the effort (of modeling 3 or more liveries per car, now multiply that for 100 race cars), put into improving the livery editor.

Now, we have a livery editor and those slight differences between cars are irrelevant for their purpose, so why would they waste resources on specific liveries for certain cars, when really talented players already do that? I'd rather see the effort (of modeling 3 or more liveries per car, now multiply that for 100 race cars), put into improving the livery editor.
Because not all liveries made by player will be about Super GT (of course, it's good for players to have freedom about what liveries they'll create), and for the previous one, having only 1 Super GT car per brand would make the races for example, only consist of dozens of Xanavi Nismo GT-R '08s, which is obviously isn't true. A petty one, but using user livery which aren't all about Super GT can also make the races (for offline event for example) to not be authentic. If they can manage to create the name that uses GT500 and year, better use that for a chance to put liveries as color selection, rather than just for "this now can be edited in Livery Editor", where even the ones in GTS iirc was able to be edited too, with keeping the original livery name.

t7iplx9s2pm71.png
I honestly doubt that they'll let us choose a different pre made livery for the car considering that in the pre-order page for GT7, the car is listed as Toyota Supra GT500 '97 (CASTROL TOM'S).

Looks to me that they just didn't have space to put the (CASTROL TOM'S) name on the dealership and likely the same case with the Pennzoil Skyline (probably going to be listed as Nissan GT-R GT500 (PENNZOIL Nismo) '99 judging from how the Supra is named from the pre order page).
unknown.png

Last edited:
If I were a betting man, I think PD this time could possibly be giving some of these race cars alternate livery options like color options. Similar to Assetto Corsa and Project Cars. Though that's a big maybe as we haven't seen much menu gameplay of GT7 yet.

Back