Gran Turismo 7: Latest news and discussion thread

• Thread starter sems4arsenal
  • 39,188 comments
I honestly doubt that they'll let us choose a different pre made livery for the car considering that in the pre-order page for GT7, the car is listed as Toyota Supra GT500 '97 (CASTROL TOM'S).

Looks to me that they just didn't have space to put the (CASTROL TOM'S) name on the dealership and likely the same case with the Pennzoil Skyline (probably going to be listed as Nissan GT-R GT500 (PENNZOIL Nismo) '99 judging from how the Supra is named from the pre order page).
unknown.png
Well the car is in the game even for people who not preorder it right?

Well the car is in the game even for people who not preorder it right?
Likely so.

The only car I would see being a pre-order exclusive would have to be the RX VISION GT3 Stealth Model given the past nature of the Stealth Models being pre order exclusive back in GT5.

With cars being named like that (same issue with the BMW M6 GT3), it worries me that we won't get to have different livery variants as separate cars
Bruh.

We have a livery editor. We can create any version of the car we want. We only need one model of everything and after that the options are endless. Part of the reason old GT games had such large car counts were because of duplicate models with different liveries which we now realize was actually a waste of space.

Last edited by a moderator:
Because not all liveries made by player will be about Super GT (of course, it's good for players to have freedom about what liveries they'll create), and for the previous one, having only 1 Super GT car per brand would make the races for example, only consist of dozens of Xanavi Nismo GT-R '08s, which is obviously isn't true. A petty one, but using user livery which aren't all about Super GT can also make the races (for offline event for example) to not be authentic. If they can manage to create the name that uses GT500 and year, better use that for a chance to put liveries as color selection, rather than just for "this now can be edited in Livery Editor", where even the ones in GTS iirc was able to be edited too, with keeping the original livery name.
So, in online modes, you can't control what other players will use, so you will inevitably see random liveries anyway, so it will break players' immersion. In offline modes I'd agree, it would be limited to existing ones, but even this has a solution, PD could either use randomized liveries created by players (who shared them online of course) or select a few player-made liveries approved by PD (for example replicas of real ones), and allow the AI to use them. This same thing happens in Gr.1, Gr.3, Gr.4 and Gr.B, the only difference being that these classes have more unique in cars.

I just don't think it's a smart use of resources, specially if it takes them away from the modeling/livery creation for other new race cars. If they end up doing so, atleast I hope those new liveries don't count as new cars.

Bruh.

We have a livery editor. We can create any version of the car we want. We only need one model of everything and after that the options are endless. Part of the reason old GT games had such large car counts were because of duplicate models with different liveries which we now realize was actually a waste of space.
Kinda think that exaggerating the duplicates is a highly unfair assessment of GT's car list, ignoring the things outside duplicates. Without the duplicates GT6 would still have 1064 cars (or around that for potential mistakes). Not that it's good and I'm hoping for livery as colors, but numerous other racing games did separate race cars' liveries as well.
So, in online modes, you can't control what other players will use, so you will inevitably see random liveries anyway, so it will break players' immersion. In offline modes I'd agree, it would be limited to existing ones, but even this has a solution, PD could either use randomized liveries created by players (who shared them online of course) or select a few player-made liveries approved by PD (for example replicas of real ones), and allow the AI to use them. This same thing happens in Gr.1, Gr.3, Gr.4 and Gr.B, the only difference being that these classes have more unique in cars.

I just don't think it's a smart use of resources, specially if it takes them away from the modeling/livery creation for other new race cars. If they end up doing so, atleast I hope those new liveries don't count as new cars.
Yeah, talking about offline mainly (for randomized liveries). Though for online, for rooms, they can at least probably kick out those who didn't use Super GT livery if they want to create an authentic Super GT races. As usual, I hope for the liveries being provided by color selections with the naming in GT-R GT500 '99 (the name won't display the sponsors anymore either way!)... dunno if they'd take part in specifically approving certain player liveries.

I honestly doubt that they'll let us choose a different pre made livery for the car considering that in the pre-order page for GT7, the car is listed as Toyota Supra GT500 '97 (CASTROL TOM'S).

Looks to me that they just didn't have space to put the (CASTROL TOM'S) name on the dealership and likely the same case with the Pennzoil Skyline (probably going to be listed as Nissan GT-R GT500 (PENNZOIL Nismo) '99 judging from how the Supra is named from the pre order page).
unknown.png
Well no, it's not too long, the name can take up 2 lines, like the Porsche. The Castrol Tom's can just be a further information that the 1997 GT500 specifically refers to the Castrol Tom's livery one, not other livery or such. The bracket in car naming usually comes before the car's year as well, like "Toyota WedsSport Celica GT (JGTC) '03", the "(JGTC)" comes before '03.
1635106334823.png

Last edited:
(and a modern 911 Turbo S, though this is not the wishlist thread)

Yeah, talking about offline mainly (for randomized liveries). Though for online, for rooms, they can at least probably kick out those who didn't use Super GT livery if they want to create an authentic Super GT races. As usual, I hope for the liveries being provided by color selections with the naming in GT-R GT500 '99 (the name won't display the sponsors anymore either way!)... dunno if they'd take part in specifically approving certain player liveries.
PD probably thinks "why bother?", if it won't boost the car count, and is just another way to drain resources. The only real problem is the offline mode, but then again, they could use community made liveries (original or replicas) to fill up the grids. For online, it will always depend on the players, no matter how many liveries they put in game. Some liveries will simply be more popular than others.

I'd similarly hope the Continental GT3 would come to GT, and potentially a Gr.4 car as well, so that Bentley could join the Manufacturers Series.
I would very much like it if PD we're to actually add the Continental GT3 as well as a Gr.4 car, that's always on my wishlist. The normal car would also be a welcome edition too if Bentley is going to return.

We had SEAT in past GTs. Skoda is possible.
I could not care less about Skoda. But the new SEAT brand of Cupra? Yes.
If you want to go this way though, tabletop RPGs (and pretty much all RPGs) provide some story and structure around the player. If you're playing D&D, you're not thrown into a random town at a random time and you just do whatever. You're there because the DM or scenario writer has something interesting put together, and it's your job as a player to go and interact with that. Your story has the chance to become interesting specifically because you're in an environment where there are interesting things to do.

Many, many moons ago, a lot of video game RPGs took this to mean that simple grinding to increase your character's power was enough for "good" gameplay. You kill rabbits on the plains, you kill coyotes in the desert, you kill bears in the forest, you get stronger, you go fight BBEG, job done. That's roughly where GT was in 1997, you do race, you get better car, you do more race until you do the final race. You win, good job.

RPGs have progressed, with the understanding that they're usually primarily a vehicle for story. Even the RPGs from the 90s that have held up have primarily done so because of the story elements. There are people who get deep into the mechanics of combat or whatever else and that's fine, but it's turned out that RPGs seem to work the best when they have a strong story as the backbone. That doesn't mean that you have to dictate absolutely what the player does, you can allow staggering amounts of freedom and have it work very well. But you do need to be giving the player situations in which there is the opportunity for them to make interesting decisions and feel like they're partaking in something that is greater than themselves. That's the role of the developer or DM, to provide the players the tools to enable them to tell their own story and a world in which to play it out.

This is where Gran Turismo has not done as well historically. A list of races is not something that is terribly engaging, just as a list of animals to go kill in an RPG isn't terribly engaging. It doesn't feel like a world that you're interacting with, it feels like a list of challenges to tick off.

But it doesn't take much.

You grew up in the plains a starving waif because the rabbit plague ate all your crops. As a teenager you choose to put together a party of your friends to kill rabbits and build rabbit fencing. Along the way you discover that the rabbits had been forced out of their natural habitat by the coyotes so you choose to go to investigate. The coyotes attack you and you have to defend yourself, but it turns out that the coyotes had been encouraged to attack the rabbits by some mysterious third power. You choose to direct the coyotes to open land where they're not in conflict with the rabbits, and this weird evil guy turns up to try and stop you. You fend him off but take a beating. You choose to go home, but then you hear that the coyotes were wiped out and that the rabbits are under attack too. You choose to go to find out if you're next, and have to fight your way through the evil sorcerors army of bears to find out that he's an evil guy that's evil because his mommy hit him with a spoon. You choose to fight him because you're strong enough after taking on the bear army, you win, you saved the day. Congratulations.

Same as before, but now because there's structure around killing rabbits and coyotes and bears it's far more engaging. Something was happening in the world, you made choices, stuff happened, you felt involved. And that's me not being a professional game designer or story teller and knocking out a basic thing in five minutes around the task of killing three types of animals. Look at real modern RPGs for how they take what is basically menial tasks and make them feel like engaging parts of a narrative. GT could put stuff in to make it's career mode more than just a list of races if they wanted to. They don't even have to change any of the actual races, they just need to put something in so that the player isn't having to do all the work of trying to intuit some zero-to-hero story out of thin air. Let the player create their own story, but give them something to work with.
The original Race Driver: Grid did this really well in my opinion. You started in a garage and worked up to a fully-fledged race team. It didn't have a lot of RPG elements but at least you had a team to beat in Ravenwest.

I'd similarly hope the Continental GT3 would come to GT, and potentially a Gr.4 car as well, so that Bentley could join the Manufacturers Series.
PD need to get the Bugatti sorted as well. I'm sure there are players that would love to run the brand for a season.

Other than that, so many classic road cars turning up. We won't be at a loss for choices. I do wonder if we'll get the 1.3i Mini '98 or a classic 1275cc Cooper S. Again, PD choosing to offer a base model and a hottest up version, of a few new to the franchise cars. Need a few more speedy slow classics. ;)

Last edited:
Don't know if I did get about what you're saying but how about something such as GT Cafe where to you it'd feel like forcing collecting as a gameplay mode?
Everything doesn't have to be an RPG. I think most people would agree that the RPG style of gameplay is the heart of the single player modes in Gran Turismo, but it doesn't mean that everything in the game needs to be. Challenge modes, for example - completely valid and important type of gameplay that adds to the experience but doesn't fit into an RPG style because the whole point is that you're not given freedom to how you approach the problem or the tools that you can use. Collecting for GT Cafe can be the same, it doesn't have to be part of the RPG experience. The natural gameplay of buying and driving cars will get you part of the way there, but you're probably not going to make sets of cars by accident much.

From what I can see however they're still trying to make it so that players are encouraged to take part through providing rewards though. Hopefully it's not simply collecting for the sake of collecting like past games, hopefully it's collecting in order to learn more about car culture. If collecting the Kei car set unlocks a short FMV on the origins and importance of Kei cars in Japanese culture I will be very happy. Bonus points if Polyphony then gives us custom challenges to unlock further information/videos. A "delivery" race around Tokyo where you're on a timer but have to come to a complete halt at the side of the road at certain points. A narrow cone course al la the old GT4 coffee breaks to emphasise the small size of the cars. A parallel parking challenge! I'm sure any collection of cars has two or three unique attributes that could be used to build interesting challenges for the player.

Bruh.

Not necessarily. Forza also has a livery editor and does the exact same thing like I said: where they count licensed livery variants as separate cars, and no, they are not a waste of space, nor are they duplicate models even if they're based on the same car, as they represent another racing team, or was made on a different year of competition with minor performance and/or aesthetic differences.

I hope GT7 could really do the same thing as Forza, or at the very least, if this is a lesser evil (but still evil), make it like Project CARS 3 where on the color selection of the car in Arcade Mode and Brand Central, you have a variety of licensed real-life liveries (where more real-life liveries get added via game updates), and a separate section for downloaded and/or created liveries.

make it like Project CARS 3 where on the color selection of the car in Arcade Mode and Brand Central, you have a variety of licensed real-life liveries (where more real-life liveries get added via game updates), and a separate section for downloaded and/or created liveries.
It's basically what I and some others have been suggesting against the race cars being separated per livery....

Not necessarily. Forza also has a livery editor and does the exact same thing like I said: where they count licensed livery variants as separate cars, and no, they are not a waste of space, nor are they duplicate models even if they're based on the same car, as they represent another racing team, or was made on a different year of competition with minor performance and/or aesthetic differences.

I hope GT7 could really do the same thing as Forza, or at the very least, if this is a lesser evil (but still evil), make it like Project CARS 3 where on the color selection of the car in Arcade Mode and Brand Central, you have a variety of licensed real-life liveries (where more real-life liveries get added via game updates), and a separate section for downloaded and/or created liveries.
The one thing that I see with adding duplicate cars is say a Toyota Supra GT500 includes the Castrol Tom's label and a player creates their own livery.

The name of the car would still say '(Castrol Tom's)' when there is no decal featured after applying your own. In my mind that just looks weird to me, especially we now have a livery editor.

What PD MIGHT be doing is adding the base car with liveries of each highly requested racing team colours as a selection. Not forgetting that there is a likely chance of changing that cars race modifications specifically too.

Last edited:
"Space" is not a problem. The problem is, and will always be, resources. If they are individually modeling each variant of said race car (we don't know if they model each one from scratch or reuse an existing model, and apply the slight changes that exist between them), it's a ton of resources wasted on one model. If they just add the liveries, to an existing car, taking advantage of some free time the livery designers might have, sure, but still, no way near a priority.

Imagine wasting time modeling 3 or 4 variants of the same car, instead of putting in the effort to model for example DTM cars (which would also fit in Gr.2, like the aforementioned GT500 cars).

About the team being represented in the car's name, they could simply use the name of the livery (up to 2 or 3 words) in the actual name of the car during the races. The same way the Supra would appear as Castrol Tom's Supra GT500, another car with, let's say, Adidas Michelin GT-R GT500. Or, the other way around, placing between brackets the name of the livery, like GT-R GT500 (Adidas Michelin). This would work both offline and online.

In my opinion, the Livery Editor is still not enough for replicating the cars' alternative liveries.
Even a player is talented for creating a replica livery, it's really hard, almost impossible to replicate its color and texture of body surface correctly (only 3 options; solid, metallic or pearl is far from enough since there're actually uncountable types of surface texture).
Almost only PD is able to replicate them since they have good cameras and devices to capture them.

And the cars' interiors may also be different depending on the entrants.
There's no way to replicate the interior difference in the Livery Editor, so we need some works of PD then, if you want your wanted livery to be perfect.

They could/should add a few more textures to the color options, and that would be enough. It's a much better use of their resources, to improve the livery editor, rather than focusing on very few cars. Exposed carbon fiber should be one option too, as some players might enjoy that "test car" look.

As for the interiors, maybe we should have the option for some race cars, to change a few things in the interior. There's no need to model another car on purpose just for that, even if we can't do it with livery editor. It's just not worth it. The same way in a road car we won't get all options available for the interior, as that would be very time consuming (even though in GT5 and 6 atleast, we had some cars with different interior colours). At the end of the day, the most important thing is getting the car in the game. With the car in the game, players can now do whatever they want with it, even if it's a 95% accurate replica.

The one thing that I see with adding duplicate cars is say a Toyota Supra GT500 includes the Castrol Tom's label and a player creates their own livery.

The name of the car would still say '(Castrol Tom's)' when there is no decal featured after applying your own. In my mind that just looks weird to me, especially we now have a livery editor.

What PD MIGHT be doing is adding the base car with liveries of each highly requested racing team colours as a selection. Not forgetting that there is a likely chance of changing that cars race modifications specifically too.
In the screenshots we’ve seen so far, the Castrol Toms Supra is listed as just a Supra GT500.

So I’ve never posted in the Gran Turismo part of the forum since I mainly play Forza, but I just wanna say I’m so freaking excited for GT7 :D

I really enjoyed Gran Turismo Sport when I got my PS4 Pro a few years ago, and I can’t wait to experience my very first proper GT game on my new PS5 :D

Already have the steelbook anniversary version preordered, March of next year can’t come soon enough :D

Thankfully I’ll have FH5, BF2042 and JD2022 to keep me busy until GT7 comes out :lol:

On the topic of liveries, specifically regarding the concern of offline races with the A.I. having all the same livery. GT Sport's "GT League" mode actually featured custom liveries for the A.I. cars, using the sponsors in the livery editor. Some of these designs like the ones seen in the "Real Circuit Tours" event feature road cars with race car replica liveries (albeit with the fictional sponsors where appropriate to avoid copyright).
Sorry for camera quality but here's an example of what I mean.
20211025_210529.jpg
20211025_211252.jpg
PD have made custom A.I. liveries not just for certain road cars, but for racecars too including the Super Formula & GT500 cars. Note that these are just the ones shown here, and that there are more custom liveries when actually in a race so there aren't duplicates (except Super Formula, which features teams of 2 generally)
20211025_210749.jpg
20211025_210929.jpg
The new way PD seem to be naming racecars by removing their team name (e.g. M6 Walkenhorst now M6 Endurance Model) implies that they'll be doing a lot of this kind of stuff. If you want to see more examples of this in GT Sport then check out the "Main Rival Cars" lists within the info tabs of each GT League event.

I wouldn't be surprised if that Emil Frey liveried Lamborghini Huracán GT3 was a new A.I. livery too, with the green one we have in GT Sport still being the dealership version.

Last edited:

The Castrol Tom's can just be a further information that the 1997 GT500 specifically refers to the Castrol Tom's livery one, not other livery or such, now how it'd be written in the actual game. The bracket in actual car naming usually comes before the car's year, like "Toyota WedsSport Celica GT (JGTC) '03", the "(JGTC)" comes before '03.
"Space" is not a problem. The problem is, and will always be, resources. If they are individually modeling each variant of said race car (we don't know if they model each one from scratch or reuse an existing model, and apply the slight changes that exist between them), it's a ton of resources wasted on one model. If they just add the liveries, to an existing car, taking advantage of some free time the livery designers might have, sure, but still, no way near a priority.

Imagine wasting time modeling 3 or 4 variants of the same car, instead of putting in the effort to model for example DTM cars (which would also fit in Gr.2, like the aforementioned GT500 cars).
Wdyt about modelling like, road car's colors though? Would it be technically adding more variants of the same car albeit not separating the cars?
In my opinion, the Livery Editor is still not enough for replicating the cars' alternative liveries.
Even a player is talented for creating a replica livery, it's really hard, almost impossible to replicate its color and texture of body surface correctly (only 3 options; solid, metallic or pearl is far from enough since there're actually uncountable types of surface texture).
Almost only PD is able to replicate them since they have good cameras and devices to capture them.

And the cars' interiors may also be different depending on the entrants.
There's no way to replicate the interior difference in the Livery Editor, so we need some works of PD then, if you want your wanted livery to be perfect.
And from that, I'd want for the players to be given more option to adjust their cars, other than colors. Like top up or top down for convertibles, choosing different badge the car if able (like Eunos/MX-5/Miata/Roadster), LHD or RHD, choose color for the car's other parts separately such as interior, etc. The latter one can apply for the race cars interior here too. Or also let players adjust/modify interior in GT Auto.

At least for now, there are colors which'd change the cars interior depending on the color, like TVR Tuscan's colors, which can probably happen too if Super GT cars have livery as colors.

On the topic of liveries, specifically regarding the concern of offline races with the A.I. having all the same livery. GT Sport's "GT League" mode actually featured custom liveries for the A.I. cars, using the sponsors in the livery editor. Some of these designs like the ones seen in the "Real Circuit Tours" event feature road cars with race car replica liveries (albeit with the fictional sponsors where appropriate to avoid copyright).
Sorry for camera quality but here's an example of what I mean.
View attachment 1088925
View attachment 1088928
PD have made custom A.I. liveries not just for certain road cars, but for racecars too including the Super Formula & GT500 cars. Note that these are just the ones shown here, and that there are more custom liveries when actually in a race so there aren't duplicates (except Super Formula, which features teams of 2 generally)
View attachment 1088926
View attachment 1088927
The new way PD seem to be naming racecars by removing their team name (e.g. M6 Walkenhorst now M6 Endurance Model) implies that they'll be doing a lot of this kind of stuff. If you want to see more examples of this in GT Sport then check out the "Main Rival Cars" lists within the info tabs of each GT League event.

I wouldn't be surprised if that Emil Frey liveried Lamborghini Huracán GT3 was a new A.I. livery too, with the green one we have in GT Sport still being the dealership version.
Good to know... albeit yeah, there's still some 'fakeness' in fictional sponsors. Still would like to have those custom liveries provided as color selections.

Wdyt about modelling like, road car's colors though? Would it be technically adding more variants of the same car albeit not separating the cars?
Painting is fairly easy compared to a livery, as it's something that it's applied to the whole "paintable" surface. A livery, they have to carefully place each decal, if they want to replicate the real thing. You can see the difference when, in game, you have to apply one and the other, paint is as easy as clicking a button, individualy placing decals is not.

And from that, I'd want for the players to be given more option to adjust their cars, other than colors. Like top up or top down for convertibles, choosing different badge the car if able (like Eunos/MX-5/Miata/Roadster), LHD or RHD, choose color for the car's other parts separately such as interior, etc. The latter one can apply for the race cars interior here too. Or also let players adjust/modify interior in GT Auto.

At least for now, there are colors which'd change the cars interior depending on the color, like TVR Tuscan's colors, which can probably happen too if Super GT cars have livery as colors.
PD can't do all that by just snapping their fingers. Top up and down should be an option, mainly because it gives cars a completely different look (and there aren't that many convertibles in the game, which makes them unique). The badges, LHD/RHD and so on (does any other game do that?), are virtually useless in a game, those resources should be used to model meaningful content, be it cars, body kits, interior/exterior options, etc. As for the interior colour, fine if it's easy to do, like adding different exterior paints... if it requires a lot of work, then don't, add one or two options and move on to the next car.

If their intent is to add a single model of each JGTC/Super GT to leave it up to players to fill the field with livery editor(and I absolutely hope to all heavens that they include each individual year model as well) then I really wish they would at the very least add the different wheel options for the various teams to make them more legit.

M Power and Walkenhorst are not just different in livery... they did have different models for the fender vents and spotlights...

The LHD or RHD choice isn't exactly a good idea. There are subtle differences in the mechanicals, some partly due to the steering column.

There's a video from Car Throttle explaining the differences for a 6th-gen Mustang:

Edit: The steering column part is from the first difference (0:28).

Last edited:
Back