Gran Turismo 7: Latest news and discussion thread

• Thread starter sems4arsenal
  • 39,188 comments
I'm a fan who hopes they don't change too much, since GTS is my favourite racing game at the moment. That's my only worry, but that worry is small since they seem to be very conservative with the fundamental stuff.
Well then I think GT7 is going to great for you which I’m happy for you.

This game is what it’s going to be no matter how you think they should keep it the same or make changes.

Since the focus of GT7 is its returning single player campaign the focus should have been on drastically improving AI but that won’t happen looking at history.

It is what it is and you’ll find fun in the game on some level.

I think its kinda funny that people still haven't woken up to the fact that GT Sport was just "GT7 Prologue: The eSport experiment."

I figured that out myself the first time I tried GT Sport, and I'm a happier man for realizing it when I did. Look at me now: I came to grips with that fact 5 years ago, and I can't freakin' wait till GT7 comes out. I wasn't even surprised when I saw the HUD was the same and the visuals were just a polished version of what we had on GT Sport. I'm just happy we will have a real singleplayer campaign, the tuning shop, and hopefully the old detailed lobby settings from GT5 and GT6.

The only issue I had, is that Polyphony and Kazunori tried to pretend GT Sport wasn't just a disguised prologue title, right up until GT7 was confirmed to be infact happening. That's when everyone (outside Polyphony Digital) found out GT Sport wasn't taking GT7's place after all... but I've gotten over it.

Kazunori said this in 2016:

Kazunori: “For me, Gran Turismo Sport is Gran Turismo 7. Gran Turismo Sport is something that marks the beginning of a new generation or era. When you consider Gran Turismo 1-6 as the first era, GT Sport marks a new generation moving forward.”

Based on these remarks, GT Sport should not be viewed as a spin-off, but a natural step forward in the modern age of gaming — where online functionality is valued just as highly as a core single-player experience. Add in the surge in popularity of eSports/competitive gaming and it becomes clear why PD wants in on the action. The title will remain ‘Gran Turismo Sport’ but the spirit of GT7 (whatever it may be) is definitely evident.

Last edited:
There have been at least 3 long form lap gameplay trailers. One for Trial Mountain, one for Deep Forest and one for Daytona. Do they really need a trailer for every track in the game before people are satisfied? Watching a video doesn't tell us much about how good the game feels to play. We will have to wait for March for that.
If you think a single lap is "long form gameplay", you are mistaken. We don't need a trailer for every track, and we don't need to know how good the game feels to play. What would be nice is some sense of the larger structure of the game. Show us a whole race. Show us a series or championship. Show us challenges or licences. Show us the online systems.

Think about all the things that you'd see just watching over someone's shoulder as they played the game for twenty minutes.
Do we really need way more info though, or do you just want it? I mean, the details will all be there when the game is released anyway, or when it’s reviewed right before release rather.
Technically nobody needs anything. It's an entertainment product.

On the other hand, if Polyphony/Sony want to sell units at launch (where they get the highest prices) then there's a subset of customers who they need to provide more information to in order to enable that. There are four sorts of people.

1. Will buy the game sight unseen.
2. Will buy the game based on good pre-release advertising.
3. Will buy the game based on good post-release reviews and word of mouth.
4. Won't buy the game.

Groups 1, 3 and 4 aren't who marketing is aimed at. But Group 2 would seem pretty large for most games considering how much money is typically spent on marketing. Those are the people who need more information to make a purchase, people like @Samus.
I know what he said, I just think it’s dumb.
It's hard to see how he's wrong based on the information we have. Maybe you wouldn't describe it like that, but I'd suggest that GT7 looks like a smaller change from GTS than GT5 1.01 to GT5 Spec II.

I think its kinda funny that people still haven't woken up to the fact that GT Sport was just "GT7 Prologue: The eSport experiment."
This.
GTSport is an okay game. I really don't like the esports genre and I really want the old school GT game back. GTSport just feels like an experiment, and that's it. How can I put it... The cars in the game really don't feel like my car when I buy them. They just feel like... they're there... All the quirks and features that were mentioned in GT7 promotional stuff is exactly what I've been wanting. If it's a mixture of old school GT games with GT Sport flavoring, then it's already a top tier game for me.

My expectations for GT7 were high right up until they confirmed it as a cross gen game.
Said this already last year, but its not a good sign that every GT game released in the past decade has had some major compromise attached to it holding it back.

2013: PS3 only game, right after the PS4 just launched.

2017: GT Sport (GT7 Prologue, but not really.)

2022: GT7 crossgen.

screw GT7... Whens GT8 coming out?!? lol

And he has topped up,

What type of presentation and when to expect the content for public

Are we sure that it’s a closed event ? As it falls on a Thursday it’s usually around the same time of a state of play. Is there a way if it is a closed event to get in ??

Are we sure that it’s a closed event ? As it falls on a Thursday it’s usually around the same time of a state of play. Is there a way if it is a closed event to get in ??
Those events are for invited media only who will then get a specific date and time when they are allowed to release their information.
Just look at the Horizon: Forbidden West videos and articles that all came online at the exact same time yesterday, they had a closed media event, got time to prepare their content and released it all at the same time.

Last edited:
Said this already last year, but its not a good sign that every GT game released in the past decade has had some major compromise attached to it holding it back.

2013: PS3 only game, right after the PS4 just launched.

2017: GT Sport (GT7 Prologue, but not really.)

2022: GT7 crossgen.

screw GT7... Whens GT8 coming out?!? lol
I'd count GT5 as compromised with it's large roster of last gen cars and shaky frame rate.

I'm not sure I'd count GTS as compromised. It was exactly what it was intended to be - not a traditional Gran Turismo game. What it should have been was a spin off, like Forza Horizon was for Forza Motorsport. Kaz's marketing BS about "this could have been called GT7" aside, that's exactly what the naming and the structure of the game at release would suggest. It was taking the assets and game engine and taking it in a fairly radically new direction. That's not a compromise and it's not holding anything back, it's just a completely different game.

I think Polyphony's mistake is this idea that they can only have one game at a time. Major studios in modern times are all about leveraging engines and assets to create as much value as possible. A "Sport" franchise should be able to exist alongside a mainline franchise, and with the efficiency gained from cross development the required success from either one is much lower.

I love people commenting on here like they haven't already pre-ordered it 😆

Speaking of which, is there any substance to these delay rumours?

It's hard to see how he's wrong based on the information we have. Maybe you wouldn't describe it like that, but I'd suggest that GT7 looks like a smaller change from GTS than GT5 1.01 to GT5 Spec II.
I fail to se how. What do you guys expect anyway? And what sort of change are you talking about? Change in visuals, in features, in physics or overall?

There’s hardly a career mode at all in GTS, and the tuning/customization is very limited compared to what we’ve seen in GT7. GTS doesn’t have dynamic time and weather on a single track, while GT7 apparently does. Then there’s a lot of cars and tracks in GT7 that are not in GTS. Used car dealership, GT Auto and GT Café, no matter how pointless they might be, are not in GTS either.

I sympathize with a lot of complaints and skepticisms that people have about the game and the lack of news. But to say that GT7 is GTS is just… well, dumb.

I fail to se how. What do you guys expect anyway? And what sort of change are you talking about? Change in visuals, in features, in physics or overall?

There’s hardly a career mode at all in GTS, and the tuning/customization is very limited compared to what we’ve seen in GT7. GTS doesn’t have dynamic time and weather on a single track, while GT7 apparently does. Then there’s a lot of cars and tracks in GT7 that are not in GTS. Used car dealership, GT Auto and GT Café, no matter how pointless they might be, are not in GTS either.

I sympathize with a lot of complaints and skepticisms that people have about the game and the lack of news. But to say that GT7 is GTS is just… well, dumb.
You can say theres hardly a career mode in GT Sport but is it objectively any worse than Gran Turismo 5? PD literally doubled the event list there by using Control-C and Control-V.

It's just starting to catch up with PD because the GT career mode hasnt improved since 2004

Last edited:
You can say theres hardly a career mode in GT Sport but is it objectively any worse than Gran Turismo 5? PD literally doubled the event list there by using Control-C and Control-V.

It's just starting to catch up with PD because the GT career mode hasnt improved since 2004
Fair enough. So GT7 is GT4, which is arguably the best game in the series. Great!

I'd count GT5 as compromised with it's large roster of last gen cars and shaky frame rate.

I'm not sure I'd count GTS as compromised. It was exactly what it was intended to be - not a traditional Gran Turismo game. What it should have been was a spin off, like Forza Horizon was for Forza Motorsport. Kaz's marketing BS about "this could have been called GT7" aside, that's exactly what the naming and the structure of the game at release would suggest. It was taking the assets and game engine and taking it in a fairly radically new direction. That's not a compromise and it's not holding anything back, it's just a completely different game.

I think Polyphony's mistake is this idea that they can only have one game at a time. Major studios in modern times are all about leveraging engines and assets to create as much value as possible. A "Sport" franchise should be able to exist alongside a mainline franchise, and with the efficiency gained from cross development the required success from either one is much lower.
Agreed about GT Sport being a spinoff, I could see something like this existing alongside the mainline GT games instead of being treated as part of the series. In which, I think that's what ACC is supposed to be for Kunos while they work on Assetto Corsa 2, though I could be wrong on that.

The big problem with that is Polyphony Digital is really slow when it comes to game releases, which could lead to annoying players waiting years for another GT and it's a spinoff. I guess that could be fixed with another studio coming along to work on Sport while PD handles GT. Like how it works with the Forza games, if only Polyphony would actually go for it instead of being stuck in their ways.

O

I agree about having GTS as that ongoing spinoff(swear I’ve seen that line before… like someone was reading my mind).

Other than the low player count for Sport Mode, judging by this website, some players just don’t want to touch AI play. Updating that game forever would probably make sense(Of course updating in tandem with each generation of console and maybe even pc).

which could lead to annoying players
Yeah, we got those already. ;)

Fair enough. So GT7 is GT4, which is arguably the best game in the series. Great!
The problem is that GT4 was good for 2004. It turns out that game design has progressed over the last 17 years, and that the same game with fancy graphics wouldn't necessarily be considered very good.

GT7 should absolutely include some of the good aspects of GT4, but there's a lot of issues with that game that simply aren't particularly good in a new AAA title in 2022.

Look at Doom 2016. Doom 1993 was good in it's day, but it wasn't enough to simply copy the game with improved graphics. id sensibly identified the aspects that made the game fun and compelling, and then used modern tools and techniques to present a game that felt distinctly Doom-like but without the historical baggage that might have held it back.

Polyphony needs to do that with Gran Turismo. There's the soul of a good modern game in GT4, but it needs to be refined and presented in a modern way so that it can appeal to a wide audience.

If you just remake GT4 with more shinies then all you appeal to is grumpy old men who remember back in the good old days when these entitled young kids didn't have everything handed to them on a plate and we had to grind Costa Amalfi like real men and walk 30 miles in the snow barefoot to just look at a memory card and STOP SKATEBOARDING ON THE SIDEWALK. For the people who want GT4 in 4K, that's already possible.

But to say that GT7 is GTS is just… well, dumb.
If it walks like a duck, quacks like a duck...then it's a duck.

If it is literally based around GTS, was more or less created as a way to bring fans who were rightfully pissed off at how online focused GTS was, and most of its car list and track list is based around GTS...then it's more then likely a Spec 2.0 update masquerading as a full price sequel. And that's really all that GT7 has been shown as, and with a month left to go before release with no delay in sight, why bother by this point?

If you just remake GT4 with more shinies then all you appeal to is grumpy old men who remember back in the good old days when these entitled young kids didn't have everything handed to them on a plate and we had to grind Costa Amalfi like real men and walk 30 miles in the snow barefoot to just look at a memory card and STOP SKATEBOARDING ON THE SIDEWALK. For the people who want GT4 in 4K, that's already possible.
This is basically the crux of every argument about the 'past, present, and future' PR speak if we truly take it at face value instead of just dismissing it as that. The fact of the matter is that GT4 is almost old enough to buy liquor and cigarettes in most provinces in Canada. The fact that its gameplay loop still the fulcrum design of most of GT's single player content since then has left GT as a franchise in a weird sort of stasis where there isn't really any sort of meaningful pushing forward of gameplay loops where most other racing games, especially within its competition, have experimented and tried different things. At what point does Polyphony cut the cord and try something new? If I wanted to play GT4, I'd play it on my PS2. If I wanted an uprezzed 4K version of the game, by this point PCSX2 is available and able to be done since the actual feasibility of a remade or remastered game in GT4's scope and scale is nil because of the licenses involved.

That's all that this really is. It's spinning in circles all because Polyphony is too scared (or more accurately, too ignorant to see how the racing game genre has shifted outside of it's insulated and insular bubble) to try anything new, and they realize that effectively selling the same game for 17 years, and playing on people's nostalgia is enough to sucker a fair few people into buying in, every time. I'm certainly not interested in that anymore, especially when other options are available both on PC and on console. Even then, Polyphony seem ignorant to ever doing anything actually new that isn't just forcing something onto the player base because it fulfilled a wish that Kaz had in a keynote speech two generations of consoles ago.

I'd certainly like Polyphony to change things, and hell, maybe GT7 is good and actually manages to make me not feel like some jaded asshole. But from what I am seeing now, with one month to go? I see basically no real, meaningful changes to the mold that GT desperately needs, and until those changes are made then the series is in that weird stasis where it's a seller, but the actual player base of the game is small because most people who actually play racing games more or less see right through the game in the first few hours.

That reminds me Imari:

Get off my lawn, you whippersnapper, and take that scooter with you! :lol:

Last edited:
If it walks like a duck, quacks like a duck...then it's a duck.

If it is literally based around GTS, was more or less created as a way to bring fans who were rightfully pissed off at how online focused GTS was, and most of its car list and track list is based around GTS...then it's more then likely a Spec 2.0 update masquerading as a full price sequel. And that's really all that GT7 has been shown as, and with a month left to go before release with no delay in sight, why bother by this point?

This is basically the crux of every argument about the 'past, present, and future' PR speak if we truly take it at face value instead of just dismissing it as that. The fact of the matter is that GT4 is almost old enough to buy liquor and cigarettes in most provinces in Canada. The fact that its gameplay loop still the fulcrum design of most of GT's single player content since then has left GT as a franchise in a weird sort of stasis where there isn't really any sort of meaningful pushing forward of gameplay loops where most other racing games, especially within its competition, have experimented and tried different things. At what point does Polyphony cut the cord and try something new? If I wanted to play GT4, I'd play it on my PS2. If I wanted an uprezzed 4K version of the game, by this point PCSX2 is available and able to be done since the actual feasibility of a remade or remastered game in GT4's scope and scale is nil because of the licenses involved.

That's all that this really is. It's spinning in circles all because Polyphony is too scared (or more accurately, too ignorant to see how the racing game genre has shifted outside of it's insulated and insular bubble) to try anything new, and they realize that effectively selling the same game for 17 years, and playing on people's nostalgia is enough to sucker a fair few people into buying in, every time. I'm certainly not interested in that anymore, especially when other options are available both on PC and on console. Even then, Polyphony seem ignorant to ever doing anything actually new that isn't just forcing something onto the player base because it fulfilled a wish that Kaz had in a keynote speech two generations of consoles ago.

I'd certainly like Polyphony to change things, and hell, maybe GT7 is good and actually manages to make me not feel like some jaded asshole. But from what I am seeing now, with one month to go? I see basically no real, meaningful changes to the mold that GT desperately needs, and until those changes are made then the series is in that weird stasis where it's a seller, but the actual player base of the game is small because most people who actually play racing games more or less see right through the game in the first few hours.
Holy crud this man is on point. You’ve articulated this perfectly. We thank Kaz for starting the race for most of us but it’s seriously time to hand over or share the reigns with someone else and allow it to grow rather than retain the same format for decades to the point where it’s playerbase become jaded buttholes

On a technical level, every GT game has been an improvement on the one proceeding it. But I think you know that that isnt enough by itself.

If GT7 was technically worse than an 18 year old game then they would be laughed at.

Think of it this way

The PS1 was revolutionary when it was launched in 1994.

Your example is like if Sony launched the PS2 in 2012 and saying everyone should rejoice because its technically superior to the PS1. But it wouldnt amount to much because its completely inferior to what the competition is producing at the time

That is GTs problem as far as offline goes - aspects of the game that were already starting to get stale in 2004 (but very well masked by the sheer amount of content in GT4) haven't really been revolutionised or even significantly evolved.

Slight improvements aren't enough.

Last edited:
That reminds me Imari:

Get off my lawn, you whippersnapper!:lol:
maintains direct eye contact while dragging buttocks across grass

It's interesting, because I feel like if Polyphony and Kaz had a game that they truly thought was a slam dunk they'd be talking about it a lot more. They weren't this shy about GTS - they believed that it was the future of their franchise and they told everyone exactly how great they thought it was.

I have to wonder if this is one of those games where they know that there isn't much to brag about, and that exposing the details will only cause people to go "is that it?" Was going back to a "traditional" Gran Turismo purely a management decision and not something that Polyphony truly believes in? It's hard to tell with Kaz, he definitely has a marketing persona that he puts on to talk about Gran Turismo and it's been in full force for this advertising cycle.

We've seen over the last decade or so that it's usually (but not always) not a particularly good sign when developers are reticent to talk directly about features or show real unfiltered gameplay. I hope I'm wrong and this is just SIE playing silly marketing tricks with two games that aren't really directly competing in any meaningful way, but the longer the lack of specific information goes on the worse a sign it is. Good games don't need to hide their light under a bushel, and they don't need to hide from other good games in a completely different genre.

I hope I'm wrong and this is just SIE playing silly marketing tricks with two games that aren't really directly competing in any meaningful way, but the longer the lack of specific information goes on the worse a sign it is. Good games don't need to hide their light under a bushel, and they don't need to hide from other good games in a completely different genre.
You aren’t wrong @Imari

GT7 will be PD’s most profitable game thus far as the investment for improvement from GTS to GT7 has been minimal.

After I heard GT7 was cross-generation I went out and bought an X Series X for Forza Motorsport.

Having a watch of “the seven”, it was weird for Kaz to mention high car count, when GT7 car count isn’t even close to the past 1000 car lists of the franchise. However, starting over(but this is supposed to be the next chapter) and making this like the previous chapter, for the benefit of new players/potential future car enthusiasts, almost comes off as a training video for new employees.

The problem is that GT4 was good for 2004. It turns out that game design has progressed over the last 17 years, and that the same game with fancy graphics wouldn't necessarily be considered very good.

GT7 should absolutely include some of the good aspects of GT4, but there's a lot of issues with that game that simply aren't particularly good in a new AAA title in 2022.

Look at Doom 2016. Doom 1993 was good in it's day, but it wasn't enough to simply copy the game with improved graphics. id sensibly identified the aspects that made the game fun and compelling, and then used modern tools and techniques to present a game that felt distinctly Doom-like but without the historical baggage that might have held it back.

Polyphony needs to do that with Gran Turismo. There's the soul of a good modern game in GT4, but it needs to be refined and presented in a modern way so that it can appeal to a wide audience.
A game from 2004 without the 2004 issues. I love GT4 when it comes to presentation, event variety, car list, track list and career mode but that's about it. Graphics, sounds, physics, car customisation, AI, damage (or rather lack thereof) and collisions don't stack up to modern standards. Most of these things still need a considerable amount of work to even bring it up to par with the competition. The old excuses won't fly anymore in the face of Assetto Corsa and Forza Horizon.

It's interesting, because I feel like if Polyphony and Kaz had a game that they truly thought was a slam dunk they'd be talking about it a lot more. They weren't this shy about GTS - they believed that it was the future of their franchise and they told everyone exactly how great they thought it was.
Again, likely because the insularity of Polyphony as a studio didn't tell them what was eventually told to them in droves right off the hop - that online racing as a complete, whole concept for a game is not what people want as the only thing in the game. Too bad Polyphony took that to mean 'back to the nostalgia!' like they have done with GT7.

I have to wonder if this is one of those games where they know that there isn't much to brag about, and that exposing the details will only cause people to go "is that it?"
If that's the case, then at least Kaz has learned not to simply shoot whatever thoughts he has from the hip to be written down by outlets who are more or less forced to put pen to paper to said thoughts because he has no desire to ever outline actual gameplay systems, and when challenged to obvious lies by omission in recent history, he simply just starts the process again. Small victories.

I hope I'm wrong and this is just SIE playing silly marketing tricks with two games that aren't really directly competing in any meaningful way, but the longer the lack of specific information goes on the worse a sign it is. Good games don't need to hide their light under a bushel, and they don't need to hide from other good games in a completely different genre.
It's hard to say, really. Though lets be real...going by recent history within gaming, the fact that there's been little information to begin with isn't exactly boding well for a game that's out in a month's time.

Having a watch of “the seven”, it was weird for Kaz to mention high car count, when GT7 car count isn’t even close to the past 1000 car lists of the franchise.
Chasing the dragon of a thousand cars put the series in a major death spiral and gave birth to Standard cars in the rush to make that number a reality. Frankly, it should be an edict for Polyphony to never reach that point again if they value the general health of the series.

starting over
But really, 'starting over' is a misnomer, especially on the car front. We're still dealing with 30 different Miatas and Skylines that Polyphony have no desire to model the differences for, except now it's vehicles that are only separated by a model year, and are more or less the same, and race cars especially that are only on the car list because it makes the car list bigger to have them separate even if they are effectively different paintjobs that could be offered in the Dealership for people to use as a stock paint.

You tell me how useful it is to have two M6 GT3's that have no differences between them, other then to pad out car lists?

A game from 2004 without the 2004 issues. I love GT4 when it comes to presentation, event variety, car list, track list and career mode but that's about it. Graphics, sounds, physics, car customisation, AI, damage (or rather lack thereof) and collisions don't stack up to modern standards. Most of these things still need a considerable amount of work to even bring it up to par with the competition. The old excuses won't fly anymore in the face of Assetto Corsa and Forza Horizon.
I really think both GT and FM need to get past the "here's a list of events, go nuts" style of career. I'll put up with a lot of bollocks from a game if it's got engaging gameplay and progression. Having some diversity and freedom is good and admirable, but not if it comes at the expense of making the game into a checklist of work to be done. Fundamentally that description could be true of most games, there's a bunch of stuff you have to do and that's it. But there are ways to try and disguise it and make it feel like the gameplay is something that you do because you're building to something greater.

Most game genres have learned that world building and narrative, either explicit or implicit, can add a lot of flavour to otherwise bland gameplay. Admittedly it's a hard thing for racing games, but there are games out there that are trying.

Back