Gran Turismo 7: Latest news and discussion thread

• Thread starter sems4arsenal
  • 39,188 comments
Kaz also said that each car takes 270 days to complete by a single staff member, and denied considering a release of Gran Turismo on PC.

View attachment 1217820
I guess the gist of it is getting through, but just to add a non-machine translated English version:

Some media outlets are reporting that you're researching and even developing a PC version of GT7. Is that true?

–– That is not correct. I said that, "(as a developer,) we stay open to all possible options*". So, the probability for a PC version may not actually be zero, but if you want to know what we're actually doing [regarding a PC version], the answer is nothing. There's nothing to talk about.

*(To be more precise, he's got a nifty double negative going on here. Could also translate it as "there are no options we wouldn't be open to think about.")

Gotta love getting invitations from tickets 2 days in a row. For cars that you've owned since launch. One of the GT7 moments of all time.

a visual representation of all the cars added into the game since launch

This image goes hard.

a visual representation of all the cars added into the game since launch

32 cars, not bad.

Hopefully those numbers go up next year.
Seems they moved Daiki Kasho's work area to another place since you guys (GTP) last visited in 2019:

11_nj1b.jpg
Maybe someone stole something from him during that visit :lol::scared:

Last edited:
The article says there was some kind of language barrier during the gtplanet interview.
These remarks from IGN Japan are irresponsible and disrespectful of Kazunori's translator. GTPlanet is already being slandered on Twitter due to this reckless commentary.

I am publishing the original audio from the interview to make the discussion clear.

As @Famine already noted, my article never stated Polyphony Digital was developing or researching a title for the PC. The Japanese media in attendance completely misrepresented our article while framing these questions to Yamauchi-san.

These remarks from IGN Japan are irresponsible and disrespectful of Kazunori's translator. GTPlanet is already being slandered on Twitter due to this reckless commentary.

I am publishing the original audio from the interview to make the discussion clear.

As @Famine already noted, my article never stated Polyphony Digital was developing or researching a title for the PC. The Japanese media in attendance completely misrepresented our article while framing these questions to Yamauchi-san.

IGN is the same everywhere I guess lol

Neither you nor the translator made any mistake there. Wonder why Yamauchi would backtrack so strongly in the Dengeki interview. Guess he was speaking strictly from a technical perspective in your interview but didn't even consider making that expressively clear. Bit weird for a guy with so much media experience.
Anyways, good move on your side to publish this part of the audio.

Last edited:
I finally got a PS5 and oh my god the difference between the PS4 and PS5 versions are just jawdropping. I thought I was being pranked when I started a custom race and the track loaded in less than a second, graphically it's also such a huge jump over the PS4 version, just great stuff overall.
When I'm too lazy to pop in the PS5 Disc I'll just play the PS4 version thanks to the entitlement thingy.

(Use DeepL translation)
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
What other areas of new cars besides "Vision Gran Turismo" would you like to focus on in the future?

Kaz: I wouldn't say it's a focus, but the types of cars are changing quite a bit. Of course, there is the increase in the number of minivans. Nowadays, most car enthusiasts drive SUVs. In the past, car enthusiasts drove sports cars. The kind of people who used to drive sports cars back then, people who are barely interested in driving cars, are now often driving SUV types. I think we need to cover those types of cars as well.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Kaz's answer to a Japanese media interview hints at a car that could be the focus in future GT?

SUVs are becoming commonplace in today's racing games, not only in GT. (Whether we like it or not).
If SUVs were to be added to GT, what kind of models would be added?

Last edited:
I guess the gist of it is getting through, but just to add a non-machine translated English version:

Some media outlets are reporting that you're researching and even developing a PC version of GT7. Is that true?

–– That is not correct. I said that, "(as a developer,) we stay open to all possible options*". So, the probability for a PC version may not actually be zero, but if you want to know what we're actually doing [regarding a PC version], the answer is nothing. There's nothing to talk about.

*(To be more precise, he's got a nifty double negative going on here. Could also translate it as "there are no options we wouldn't be open to think about.")

Idk. To me, all this PC stuff reads like;

“We’re 100% working on it, but we’re under strict orders from Sony not to talk about it, so we don’t cannibalize potential PS5 sales… especially as production and availability are just starting to ramp up”

EDIT:

Besides, it’s not very hard to reverse engineer the thought process behind Kaz’s word salad.

If Polyphony was more akin to Kunos - to where the only thing that matters is number of titles sold, there would be no need for semantics when facing this question. They’d either be doing it, or they wouldn’t. But being that PD answers to Sony, there’s many more moving parts.

JMHO

Last edited:
Can they just scan specific Tokyo area to make Tokyo R246?
They already got it seen from the track making slides plus datamine , i hope to see at least that city track
Honestly they could import those city tracks from GT6 and upgrade those , you don't even need to create new assets

Last edited:
SUVs are becoming commonplace in today's racing games, not only in GT. (Whether we like it or not).
If SUVs were to be added to GT, what kind of models would be added?
Cadillac Escalade V, G63 AMG, Explorer ST, Any Hellcat SUV from Dodge, also Bronco Raptor while we're at it.

Ray tracing likely adds complexity. Don't forget that cars that were formerly Standard vehicles in the PS3 era needed to be rebuilt from scratch.

I remember hearing certain outsourced cars would take three months to complete, while nine months is the time frame for individual artists from Polyphony doing all the work in-house.

The fact we got 30 cars in nine months would make me assume there are 30 people on the car modeling team, with each working on one car alone (assuming Polyphony aren't outsourcing anyone at this period).

It could also be assumed that the currently-known cars that are leaked in the datamine have been built for some time and are going under quality control before being released.

Hopefully 2023 will see a much larger volume of cars per update. Something like GT Sport's early days where up to 15 cars were featured in one update, given the world is slowly normalizing.
They're building 60 cars per year currently. This seems to be all in-house, although some work maybe done outside.

――Could you tell us if there is a target number of vehicles included in the GT7?

Yamauchi: I can't say anything (laughs). When the "GT" series was at its peak, the number of models included exceeded 1,000. However, at that time, there were some that looked almost the same but differed in grade, so I think that the value of the 1,000 units at that time and the 400 units now are quite different, including the accuracy of the model.

At that time, the interior was only recorded for some cars. Currently, we are developing at a pace of about 5 units per month and about 60 units a year, but I don't think that is such a bad pace.

And not only the car model, but also the interior, the physics of each, the engine sound, etc., are clearly over-spec even with the current PS5. So I don't think we need to remake it again in the future, and I think this will be a cultural legacy. And the car model will be gradually covered.

Last edited:
And not only the car model, but also the interior, the physics of each, the engine sound, etc., are clearly over-spec even with the current PS5. So I don't think we need to remake it again in the future, and I think this will be a cultural legacy. And the car model will be gradually covered.

Again? :lol:

You say again, but we're two games into 3D models built to this standard. Even the PS5 isn't powerful enough to display full LOD photomode models in-game. That's not to say there isn't room for improvements. But the days of full re-modelling seem to be over. The next major graphical leap will be improvements to lighting and more efficient ways to reproduce environments.
I see, so they're only releasing 3 out of the 5 cars they produce per month.
We don't really know how many cars where held back before launch. There could be a mix of classics that are on the backburner, with more current cars coming to the game sooner.

Back