Gran Turismo 7: Latest news and discussion thread

• Thread starter sems4arsenal
  • 38,920 comments
Stock setup my gr10 is at 616hp but you have to up the weight and use IM and wets tires only which mean on the dry you will get at best 6 to 7 laps, but the bright side is its still a faster and better cornering car then those pesky GT cars on any difficulty.

But that's just me since I love the gr10, some say the 787b is a better car for this event.

Here's hoping that a longer update cycle (as others mention, maybe not til Feb) might be indicative of a general Quality of Life update in addition to the PSVR 2 updates. It would be a disservice to non-VR players not to have some kind of meaningful updates to the game, and there's a LONG list besides another 3 cars.

Here's hoping that a longer update cycle (as others mention, maybe not til Feb) might be indicative of a general Quality of Life update in addition to the PSVR 2 updates. It would be a disservice to non-VR players not to have some kind of meaningful updates to the game, and there's a LONG list besides another 3 cars.
An update to force feedback would be welcomed to go with the VR update.

If they're working double time on the PSVR2 update to the point that they have nothing to release in Jan, it's unlikely that we'll get much in terms of content outside of VR...
Maybe, but I wouldn't have thought the vehicle and track artists would have much to contribute to a VR update. They're gonna be making cars and tracks just like always.

Maybe, but I wouldn't have thought the vehicle and track artists would have much to contribute to a VR update. They're gonna be making cars and tracks just like always.
Then why not release what they (presumably) have ready in a Jan update? It's what they did in Dec when they couldn't bundle in anything else besides a Scape.

Then why not release what they (presumably) have ready in a Jan update? It's what they did in Dec when they couldn't bundle in anything else besides a Scape.
Well, quite.

I don't have an answer for that. I'm just pointing out that they have people specifically employed to make content and those people almost certainly aren't getting pulled off that to work on VR. The content is still getting made, unless they've thrown in the towel completely and just sacked everyone (which seems sort of unlikely). But Polyphony is choosing not to release it.

There are any number of reasons this could be, and we'll probably never know because Polyphony does not communicate with their community except under threat of financial penalty.

To be fair, there's been some recent high profile layoffs across the industry...
Right. And they're high profile because we hear about them.

The chances of Polyphony having done a similar thing and nobody having said anything are not zero, but they're pretty low. Not just that, their Careers page is (as usual) full of open ads for just about every role at the company. Unusual, if you're trying to downsize like has been the case for the other major layoffs.

Not impossible, but to quote myself - "...sort of unlikely."

==========

As an aside and not related to this conversation, I noticed while I was there that on their Careers page there isn't any jobs that are obvious candidates for "the person that what writes the campaign missions and stuff". Which is sort of interesting.

On their Part Time work page they have this:

1674539956071.png

For those who can't read Japanese, the job description says pretty much exactly what you'd expect - provide support for producing racing events for the Gran Turismo series. If anyone is inclined to apply, be warned that they value this role at the princely sum of 1800 yen an hour. About US$14.

I shouldn't be surprised, but I am a little. I hoped that there was an explanation for the lack of structured career and events that wasn't "we went cheap on the people who were doing the work".

The chances of Polyphony having done a similar thing and nobody having said anything are not zero, but they're pretty low. Not just that, their Careers page is (as usual) full of open ads for just about every role at the company. Unusual, if you're trying to downsize like has been the case for the other major layoffs.

==========

As an aside and not related to this conversation, I noticed while I was there that on their Careers page there isn't any jobs that are obvious candidates for "the person that what writes the campaign missions and stuff". Which is sort of interesting.

View attachment 1225196
For those who can't read Japanese, the job description says pretty much exactly what you'd expect - provide support for producing racing events for the Gran Turismo series. If anyone is inclined to apply, be warned that they value this role at the princely sum of 1800 yen an hour. About US$14.

I shouldn't be surprised, but I am a little. I hoped that there was an explanation for the lack of structured career and events that wasn't "we went cheap on the people who were doing the work".
It's quite funny though how we have PD as a racing developer for 25 years, having GT4 as a great stample of making a good race career mode. Like even me, a basic gamer can understand how it's was well made by not throwing money at you and cars for winning one race, no instead it's geniuely felt really rewarding back in ps2 era.

I just don't get it how it's hard to make a career with proper progression, going from a freaking renault avantime to let's say an LMP car. Plus as seen in Nenkai twitter posts, PD has some events literally cut from recent GT7 title, but functioning properly and can be loaded as well. It's just seems to me that behind the scenes it's literally a dumpster fire happening

Last edited:

View attachment 1225196

It all makes sense now. PD's bringing the piddly race payouts to real life wages.

==========

View attachment 1225196

I think that the Careers section on their website is actually not being maintained and years out of date. The fact that nothing ever seems to be changing is a clear indication of that. This offerings page for an Application Programmer even shows a screenshot from Gran Turismo 6, a game from two generations ago. At the beginning of last year I was thinking about switching career paths and thought, "Heck, why not apply to PD as well?" Amsterdam is relatively close to where I live in Germany, so I applied for a position at their GT Explore Studio there. I only got an automated response from them, telling me that the evaluation process would take 2-3 weeks. The response also included an instruction to inquire at an @sony.com email address, should I not get a response in that time. When the three weeks were up, I did just that. And again: No response whatsoever (not even an automated one), which would be a really unprofessional thing to do, especially for a company of that size. I also remember doing a bit of research beforehand and reading a post by @MIE1992, where he said that he applied for the exact same position at their Los Angeles office. Perhaps he can explain if he's had a similar experience.

Seeing how PD is part of Playstation Studios, I believe their job offerings are actually being handled via Careers at SIE. They definitely list Amsterdam and LA as working locations. Of course I don't know this for sure but everything I've seen so far points to the fact that the Jobs section of their website is actually dead.

Last edited:
I think that the Careers section on their website is actually not being maintained and years out of date. The fact that nothing ever seems to be changing is a clear indication of that. This offerings page for an Application Programmer even shows a screenshot from Gran Turismo 6, a game from two generations ago. At the beginning of last year I was thinking about switching career paths and thought, "Heck, why not apply to PD as well?" Amsterdam is relatively close to where I live in Germany, so I applied for a position at their GT Explore Studio there. I only got an automated response from them, telling me that the evaluation process would take 2-3 weeks. The response also included an instruction to inquire at an @sony.com email address, should I not get a response in that time. When the three weeks were up, I did just that. And again: No response whatsoever (not even an automated one), which would be a really unprofessional thing to do, especially for a company of that size. I also remember doing a bit of research beforehand and reading a post by @MIE1992, where he said that he applied for the exact same position at their Los Angeles office. Perhaps he can explain if he's had a similar experience.

Seeing how PD is part of Playstation Studios, I believe their job offerings are actually being handled via Careers at SIE. They definitely list Amsterdam and LA as working locations. Of course I don't know this for sure but everything I've seen so far points to the fact that the Jobs section of their website is actually dead.
Sounds like a reasonable assessment, you're almost certainly right. Although it's not a great look for the developer of an always online game that they can't keep their own website up to date.
I swear I'd do it for free. :lol: Same with being PD's dedicated one-man communications team.
I'd do it for free, but I need pesky things like food and shelter.

Sounds like a reasonable assessment, you're almost certainly right. Although it's not a great look for the developer of an always online game that they can't keep their own website up to date.
Never mind the always online thing, they're sending potential talent down a month-long false trail and leaving it to them to figure out what they did wrong. For a business, that's a failure on a much more fundamental level. Especially when all they would have to do is put up a link to SIE Careers.

Last edited:
Unless we get a maintenance notice tomorrow, I’m beginning to suspect that new content will arrive next week and with silhouettes being teased this coming weekend. This would make it a February update but arriving so early that it makes little difference to the update pattern. Then VR could arriver later in the month without any new cars and events. Just speculating here.

Back