Gran Turismo 7 Online Racing

• Thread starter 05XR8
  • 17 comments
Australia
Australia
Thinking about PS5 load times and online racing. I battled my step-daughter in NBA2K(2020K, whatever) and a Wall-E looking robot character and watched her play this camping game with a character that looked like Hayden Panettiere. Anyway, the non-existant loading times felt natural.

How would this be for entering Sport Mode races? More time for Warm-Up? Actual qualifying before each race? Spectating from pit screen, like what's possible in a Lobby? Will players be able to choose time slots and be notified when their chosen race event is coming up or be automically entered in that race?

Jordan showed the loading time differences between PS4 & PS5. That is GT Sport. Will GT7 be on different servers to show off new features?

Well, the track-loading times will rely on our machines locally, you'd think, so they should be just-as-snappy.

As for lobby loads and whatnot, yeah, that'll be down to the servers and how efficiently PD manages to slim the assets down. It's above my pay grade, but logic tells me that ideally they should be employing local objects to the greatest extent possible and restricting the online stream to bare-bones race data and controller info.

Maybe they'll be able to fit even more than 3 two minute laps into a 20 minute time slot now.

Also have you ever gotten home from work after rushing thru traffic, 3 minutes before that last fia slot of the night, to boot your system up and fly through all the required button presses, but juuuuuuust missed it by seconds because of slow loading. lol
That has definately grinded my gears

Last edited:
At any rate, I can't say I'm a fan of qualifying once, and then having it apply to every subsequent race you enter. But I also get the appeal of that design decision. Perhaps instead, GT7's online play could have seasons, which begin with a DR reset for everyone, though SR would be transferred between seasons. And instead of judging someone's skill by their DR, you could view a player's podiums right on their "main" screen, complete with how many poles they have, as well as the best ranking they've obtained in a championship.

Said championships could go way beyond the FIAGTCs, and include interesting rulesets like that UI mock-up in GT Sport's beta, which featured a Mazda Roadster Cup. But on the other hand, I think PD only wants to include special championships and/or time trials when they offer real-world prizes, as we can see by the FIAGTCs or the GR Supra Cup. I can only hope PD/GT will get enough funding to host other, potentially more interesting championships, or at least would be willing to have more lower-stakes championships instead.

On another note, I would seldom allow every car from a featured class to be eligible for an event. In fact, the only time you'd be able to potentially see every car from a class on the field would be the Manufacturers Series, whereas the Nations Cup would feature a sub-set of cars from a featured class, rather than simply permitting every Gr.3/Gr.4/Gr.1/etc. car. I'm reminded of this one Daily Race in GT Sport where you could only use the Group C cars within Gr.1. In addition, I'd love to see either more manufacturers join the Manufacturers Series, and/or more groups in the Manufacturers Series - Gr.1 comes to mind, between DPi, the upcoming LM Hypercar and LMDh classes, and other prototypes like IMSA GTP, LMGTP, or LMP900. I could even see the N-Series joining the Manufacturers Series - especially as more cars are added, as I would also not permit "inter-class" N-Series machines, like we see in many N-Series races in GT Sport. Or, maybe I would, since the PP system is also returning, which may make things a bit more fair when it comes to balancing, both in regards to cars left as-stock, and those heavily modified by players.

Last edited:
Agreed on the PP system. I loved it 'cause it took into account P:W ratio as well as handling and therefore often surprised with how accurately it rated vehicles one might otherwise have thought wouldn't be competitive or simply way-too-fast.

Good system IMHO.

This answers another about PS5 users over PS4 users:

Past interview https://www.gtplanet.net/new-gran-t...more-revealed-in-kazunori-yamauchi-interview/
Of course, there is one big advantage to running the game on Sony’s newest console: “The loading time is so different between the PS4 and PS5 that it’s a completely different experience. That’s just something that’s unavoidable between the two,” explained Yamauchi. He confirmed that, in terms of features, the games will be exactly the same.

Feature parity is particularly important in terms of online competition, and when asked about PS4 and PS5 users racing online together, Yamauchi confirmed this would be possible. “The only thing is the PS5 will load up very quickly and the PS4 will take a little bit of time to load. So, if you have a group where there is a mix of PS5 and PS4 users, the PS5 users will enter the match immediately, and will be able to start making their free runs while the PS4 users take a little bit more time to load into the match,” Yamauchi explained.

Can’t wait to see how many laps PS5 users do at the short circuits, before us PS4 users enter the rooms.

Speaking on the tuning in the next online championship, for me, the best thing about that are having the ability to adjust gearing for the classic cars. There’s a bit of complaining about track width for slow cars, but the same holds true for not so slow classics.

Being stuck with cars that only top out at 100-120mph is not cool. If PD want to relegate USA muscle to 1320ft or 400m, that’s fine. However, in a racing game with events that allow certain cars, a race is pretty much over with a car that bangs on the limiter 10 seconds after entering a main straight.

Some races good do well just to allow minor adjustments. Especially with the classics. This allows cars that might be left in the garage, an opportunity for users to see how they perform without their stock disadvantage.

I don't see any reason why gear ratios shouldn't be adjustable in any race, dailies and even FIA. It shouldn't affect bop in any way.
The F40 is sublime with a sequential 6 speed and tight ratios...

Last edited:
Wonder if PD have created Meeting Places to govern players. Must be a set of rules, if these rooms are separate from player hosted lobbies. If they’re not hosted by any one player, how often would a race start after or during chatting?

Noticed something else. Our rankins transfer over. However, in this Sport Mode race, there is no door number. Really hope that’s gone. Not just for the ranking of the room, but for our liveries. It’s a Daily Race A and nothing on the sides of the cars.
F59A32F7-E8C3-4729-9092-C9C055E89E74.png

5CE56633-17B5-47E1-B66E-2EE7C912471C.png

1AAB0524-AAB7-46B1-912B-303286A29FD9.png

Last edited:
Noticed something else. Our rankins transfer over. However, in this Sport Mode race, there is no door number. Really hope that’s gone. Not just for the ranking of the room, but for our liveries. It’s a Daily Race A and nothing on the sides of the cars.
View attachment 1115139
View attachment 1115141

View attachment 1115140
I thought the door numbers where gone after viewing the State of Play video, but viewing the Daytona video again it did show them back (maybe older build of the game)
with offline racing they wouldn't seem to serve a purpose & the numbers don't seem to be assigned to anything

Daytona Video2.png

I like the numberboard. Makes me feel like I’m part of any racing event, grassroots etc. Being the only car with a number when racing offline breaks that immersion when you watch replays.

Also the meeting place feature, I hope it opens the whole pit- and parking area, like they totally should’ve included in GTS on the tourist layout of Nurb. Maybe even add the option to exit the car and walk/float around, and being able to use the photomode right then and there.

Last edited:
I don't see any reason why gear ratios shouldn't be adjustable in any race, dailies and even FIA. It shouldn't affect bop in any way.
The F40 is sublime with a sequential 6 speed and tight ratios...
Changing gear ratio will impact performance, could be a difference of a second per lap, it's pretty big

online racing
tried the meeting /online racing for the 1st time - is it the norm that you lose all the upgrades on the car you have chosen to use ?

edit
- also ive noticed that although my car looks & runs fluid as in the game, other cars look a bit juddery when they fly past.............whats going on here please ?

Last edited:
Back