Gran Turismo 7 Releasing in "First Half of 2021"

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's GT7, no GT Sport 2.

There will be a return to the source with advantages of GT Sport.
I know it's GT7 and no GT Sport 2 but in term of content, game mode, partnership, and all the building communication process around the Alpha, Beta i'm expecting more

I believe this game will be delayed by a year and released in 2022. PD are known for delays. I doubt that they have made significant progress since the trailer was shown. The game is looking like a slightly modified GT Sport right now, and it would just be ridiculous if they decided to release it in its current state and gradually add cars and tracks for the next few years. Better to release a game with enough content to suit players rather than the barebones GT Sport release. While I prefer racecars over road cars, it seems like they made a mistake with the way that GT Sport was marketed. As out of nowhere they decided to add many road cars to appeal to the rest of the GT audience. The rushed addition of GT League was likely a reaction to some of the criticism they received. GT7 should considerably improve over its predecessor and appeal to all GT fans.

GT3 came out in April 2001 in Japan. The "first half of 2021" (and Japan's fiscal year, neatly enough) lines up nicely with that.

My bet is that GT7 is targeting that for the 20th anniversary. Whether or not it slips is another question, but I reckon the initial date will be some point in April.

GT3 came out in April 2001 in Japan. The "first half of 2021" (and Japan's fiscal year, neatly enough) lines up nicely with that.

My bet is that GT7 is targeting that for the 20th anniversary. Whether or not it slips is another question, but I reckon the initial date will be some point in April.
I don't really see why they would link GT7 to GT3 in that way. How would they promote it, "20 years after the first GT game on PS2, although that one was meant to be a launch title". Doesn't really mean much to anyone.

They're not going to have much in common, at least assuming GT7 won't be thin on content like GT3 was.

I don't really see why they would link GT7 to GT3 in that way. How would they promote it, "20 years after the first GT game on PS2, although that one was meant to be a launch title". Doesn't really mean much to anyone.

They're not going to have much in common, at least assuming GT7 won't be thin on content like GT3 was.
You're right that it doesn't mean an awful lot, but I just get the feeling that it might be something they'll do because "it's just nice". If GT7 is progressing nicely and their projections happen to line up with GT3's anniversary and the fiscal year then why not?

Also GT3 being the best selling GT title probably makes it "THE Gran Turismo" to more than a few folks, so again why not? They don't even necessarily have to promote it, just one of those things that people will notice. At the end of the day it's only a friendly bet/theory of mine :P

ak4z5or.jpg
8D5rNl2.jpg

I've just made this test with blender and cycles, using raytracing. What is reflected depends of the camera position, even the grass that is near the car will not reflect into the door panel in a low camera position. (only a little in the lowest part)

The black part in the last capture is the sun shadow in this case.

You make it sound so easy! :lol: Good work man!

Jerome

FAKE NEWS!!!
Confirmed for 2022 not 2021 you gotta be joking yourself Give me a break
You are of course entirely entitled to your opinion about the reality of the game's launch date, but calling GTPlanet "fake news" is neither accurate nor welcome.

The facts of this matter are that official Sony material has now twice stated that GT7 is scheduled/anticipated for the first half of 2021. We have presented this information. This is not something that is untrue and known to be untrue but are presenting as if it is true, thus it is not "fake news".

Last edited:
Fake News is becoming my least favorite word, it's right next to Viral.

Jerome
The J word(all variations of juxtapose) and cohesive are mine. Last time I heard those words, was '89-'92 as architects crititcted my drawings. :lol:

Anyway, I'm looking forward to hooking up this down payment pricing for a real car, into my 4k tv. Exciting stuff.

To make things clear, PlayStation doesn't have access to the movie editor program built-in on Gran Turismo SPORT (And probably the seventh entry), that's from PD, and that means that only they could've done that part of the trailer, but there's something that got me... quite nervous to look at.
View attachment 970560
Where have the ray-trace reflections gone?
I mean, do you look at the rearview mirror when, from the side in the door, that white silos is reflected?:D
By the way, what does that circle on the rear-view mirror show? on such a quick slide, seeing something in detail is a microscope feat.:lol:

The 'more often' doesn't change the inaccuracies of the two sections I corrected. It's really not hard to understand. Regardless of the frequency of the finish occurring, it's a result of wrapping not paint, nor does that change the utterly inaccurate statement you made in your first sentence about how paint is applied to race cars (it's still a three-part process).

What I suggest you do is cut out the passive-aggressive nonsense, accept the factually sourced corrections and move on. As I said above "If you don't want to get corrected, then don't make inaccurate factual claims".

If you want to be pedantic in correcting people you might want to get your ducks in a row first.

It depends a lot on the manufacturer & the colour as to what the process is. Solid colours are either a single layer (direct gloss) or clear over base (basecoat colour then clear) Metallics & Micas are 2 stage (basecoat then clear) 3 Layer pearls are 3 stage (Basecoat, Pearl overlay then clear) Pearl Plus are 4 layer (basecoat, pearl overlay, tinted clear, clear) Then you have your specialized stuff, candys, harlequins etc.

It changes over time as well. Back in the 80's & earlier direct gloss metallics were common & COB solids were almost unheard of. The above is where we are now.

Also I cant imagine too many real race cars are rocking their OEM paint for that long, the process used to refinish a car can vary greatly depending on a lot of factors.

I didnt get this info off the interwebs either, I've been a vehicle painter since 1987 & owned a body shop since 2001.

You are correct in saying wraps are usually less reflective than paint. Paint, regardless of the process can also be affected by the skill of the applicator, given the life expectancy of the paint on your average race car they are usually refinished to a lower standard. Once they are older & hit the collector market then it swings back the other way in most cases. We restored Mark Skaifes Skyline about 10 years ago, the owner of it specified he wanted single layer direct gloss used on the car to save weight (I **** you not) It was a pia being 3 colours as it had to be done in 3 separate booth cycles instead of one using a COB method.

If you want to be pedantic in correcting people you might want to get your ducks in a row first.

It depends a lot on the manufacturer & the colour as to what the process is. Solid colours are either a single layer (direct gloss) or clear over base (basecoat colour then clear) Metallics & Micas are 2 stage (basecoat then clear) 3 Layer pearls are 3 stage (Basecoat, Pearl overlay then clear) Pearl Plus are 4 layer (basecoat, pearl overlay, tinted clear, clear) Then you have your specialized stuff, candys, harlequins etc.

It changes over time as well. Back in the 80's & earlier direct gloss metallics were common & COB solids were almost unheard of. The above is where we are now.

Also I cant imagine too many real race cars are rocking their OEM paint for that long, the process used to refinish a car can vary greatly depending on a lot of factors.

I didnt get this info off the interwebs either, I've been a vehicle painter since 1987 & owned a body shop since 2001.

You are correct in saying wraps are usually less reflective than paint. Paint, regardless of the process can also be affected by the skill of the applicator, given the life expectancy of the paint on your average race car they are usually refinished to a lower standard. Once they are older & hit the collector market then it swings back the other way in most cases. We restored Mark Skaifes Skyline about 10 years ago, the owner of it specified he wanted single layer direct gloss used on the car to save weight (I **** you not) It was a pia being 3 colours as it had to be done in 3 separate booth cycles instead of one using a COB method.
I wasn’t being pedantic, the only point I was making is that the processes used on road and race cars are the same, and that it’s not done ‘different’ or special process used for race cars.

I would also agree that the quality will vary between team and level a car is raced at, the OEMs I’ve worked for were racing in the BTCC, GT3 and F1, and the quality of the first two were lower (on par with road cars finishes) than the later, which far exceeds the vast majority of road and race cars.

I'm not so sure that changes much about what the argument was about in the first place.

I wasn’t being pedantic, the only point I was making is that the processes used on road and race cars are the same, and that it’s not done ‘different’ or special process used for race cars.

I would also agree that the quality will vary between team and level a car is raced at, the OEMs I’ve worked for were racing in the BTCC, GT3 and F1, and the quality of the first two were lower (on par with road cars finishes) than the later, which far exceeds the vast majority of road and race cars.

I probably should have read the whole thread before responding, your explanations were more clear in subsequent posts.

I'm not so sure that changes much about what the argument was about in the first place.

It doesn't, it was more the irony of being "factually correct"

I was just pointing out that not everything is a "3 stage process"

The point about OEM finishes being the same on road & race cars stands.

It doesn't, it was more the irony of being "factually correct"

I was just pointing out that not everything is a "3 stage process"

The point about OEM finishes being the same on road & race cars stands.
I tried to keep in simple in the initial reply, and tried to explain more in the following ones (which do then cover more than three stage processes).

I tried to keep in simple in the initial reply, and tried to explain more in the following ones (which do then cover more than three stage processes).

Yeah, after I posted I continued reading.

I just felt a bit sorry for old mate getting hammered. When I saw the factually correct line & then the generalisation on the process I couldn't help myself. Ha ha.

This thread is becoming more tedious than watching (plasticky) paint dry :sly:

Personally, first half release of 2021 or not, I'm not planning to look at a PS5 till around the end of next year. I have lots planned for next summer (basically everything that was postponed from this summer!), subject to vaccine(s), so wouldnt have enough play time for any release after Easter 2020 anyway.

Of course, I may still fold and buy the super duper PS5 GT7 special edition when it releases, as my self control can be a bit shaky when it comes to consoles :lol:

This thread is becoming more tedious than watching (plasticky) paint dry :sly:

Personally, first half release of 2021 or not, I'm not planning to look at a PS5 till around the end of next year. I have lots planned for next summer (basically everything that was postponed from this summer!), subject to vaccine(s), so wouldnt have enough play time for any release after Easter 2020 anyway.

Of course, I may still fold and buy the super duper PS5 GT7 special edition when it releases, as my self control can be a bit shaky when it comes to consoles :lol:
I know the feeling, 2021 could be a busy year for a lot of people. But I'll probably do exactley the same, I'm not fussed with either of the new consoles at the moment but once GT7 comes out I'll probably go any buy one along with GT7 pretty quick.

I mean, do you look at the rearview mirror when, from the side in the door, that white silos is reflected?:D
By the way, what does that circle on the rear-view mirror show? on such a quick slide, seeing something in detail is a microscope feat.:lol:
Well, if you use common sense that circle should point out on what would be the positioning of the rear view mirror being reflected by the car, don't know what was your purpose of quoting my text since much later someone corrected my point saying that the wrap can't have reflections since it's matte, but oh well, gtPlanet member being a gtPlanet member after all :indiff:

Once again, not the point I was correcting.

You made three statements in the following post:

"Racing cars haven't the same coated kind of painting than stock-expensive car. Racing cars paint seem like a "plastic" finish more often in real life."

Sentence 1, Statement 1.

That racing cars do not have the "the same coated kind of painting than stock-expensive car." - This is incorrect, they use exactly the same process.

Now in the next sentence, you actually make two statements, and I have separated them out

Sentence 2, Statement 1.
Racing cars paint seem like a "plastic" finish - This is incorrect, as it's not due to a paint finish, but to the use of wraps, and no solid paints do not give a plastic look at all (and even if it did then it would not apply to just race cars, as road cars also use solid paint finishes)..

Sentence 2, Statement 2.

"a "plastic" finish more often in real life." - This I have not disputed at all, however, I would question the exact frequency that it occurs, but yes some race cars can have a plastic look to them.
I don't know why you get sucked into these pointless arguments... He's just trolling you man. You don't have to go to nth degree to prove that you are right.

GT3 is the definitive Gran Turismo for many people and GT7 is aiming to evoke the same spirit and passion that made the game soo great almost 20 years ago. "You loved GT3, and with GT7, you can relive the nostalgia in a whole new way!"

We restored Mark Skaifes Skyline about 10 years ago
WHICH ONE?

Last edited:
On the subject of support for PSVR in Gran Turismo... (and please tell me if I'm wrong, I'd like to be!)

It would seem that GT7 will NOT support the existing PSVR in release 1. Why? Because it seems that the only PSVR support on PS5 in general is for PSVR/PS4 games in backward compatibility mode. Is this your understanding?

Here's what the GTP GT7 Guide speculates - "it’s probable that GT7 will also have some VR compatibility". Hmmm.

(The emphasis is mine) - Source - https://www.gtplanet.net/guides/gran-turismo-7/#VR_Support

I'm thinking the limited scope of the support for VR in GT Sport and the graphical limitations combined to limit enthusiasm for PSVR1, so it may have been dropped. If so, I'm sad about that.

Despite these limitations, for me, the immersion in PSVR mode is astounding. So astounding that (again, for me) a broadening of the scope of existing PSVR support in GT7 would have been quite sufficient reason on its own to buy PS5 + GT7. If participants in a GT7 private lobby could choose to use ,or not use, PSVR quite freely, I'd be in heaven.

Looks like I'll be sitting on the sidelines unless the sheer power of the PS5 is transformative for my existing PSVR visual experience.

Comments?

On the subject of support for PSVR in Gran Turismo... (and please tell me if I'm wrong, I'd like to be!)

It would seem that GT7 will NOT support the existing PSVR in release 1. Why? Because it seems that the only PSVR support on PS5 in general is for PSVR/PS4 games in backward compatibility mode. Is this your understanding?

Here's what the GTP GT7 Guide speculates - "it’s probable that GT7 will also have some VR compatibility". Hmmm.

(The emphasis is mine) - Source - https://www.gtplanet.net/guides/gran-turismo-7/#VR_Support

I'm thinking the limited scope of the support for VR in GT Sport and the graphical limitations combined to limit enthusiasm for PSVR1, so it may have been dropped. If so, I'm sad about that.

Despite these limitations, for me, the immersion in PSVR mode is astounding. So astounding that (again, for me) a broadening of the scope of existing PSVR support in GT7 would have been quite sufficient reason on its own to buy PS5 + GT7. If participants in a GT7 private lobby could choose to use ,or not use, PSVR quite freely, I'd be in heaven.

Looks like I'll be sitting on the sidelines unless the sheer power of the PS5 is transformative for my existing PSVR visual experience.

Comments?

Purely speculation, but given that the current PSVR does not work with the PS5 camera as well as, like you said, only PS4 and VR games work with the PSVR, I wouldn't be too surprised if the announce a next gen PSVR.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back