Gran Turismo 7 Revealed for PlayStation 5

• Thread starter GTPNewsWire
  • 1,404 comments
I wouldn't read too much into these menus. Given all the typos and placeholder content I think it's pretty safe to say they're very early ideas and prone to change, just like the GTS early menus.

GT-Sport-1.jpg

Why does so many people praise this GT4-style main menu? I never liked how all the icons weren’t visible at once, but maybe it’s just me.

Nostalgia goggles. That's all it really is. From a UX perspective, it's really not very good. Just as it's never been very good to have a mouse like movement with a controller, but hey, that's PD.

The whole trailer was playing to nostalgia HARD.

I see a lot of people talking about GT Sport being inside GT7, but how? I don't remember this, unless they're just talking about the GT Sport Live thing....?

Still early days obviously, there are still a lot of unknowns and and a lot can change in development but I'm a bit underwhelmed by the trailer. Usually PD trailers always blow me away but not this one. Somehow everything feels too familiar, just prettied up a bit. It pretty much looks like GT7 will just be GT Sport with some new cars & tracks, and the map screen from GT4 replacing the traditional UI. The tuning looks pretty much the same, but with higher parts locked behind XP levels (annoying). The globe showing locations of each track is cool (reminds me of Test Drive 5) but not as cool as the dynamic backgrounds in GT3/4 arcade mode.

Things I like:
-Graphics :drool: (aka "The Real Button Admiring Simulator" :lol:)
-917K, 911 GT1 Road Ver and Carrera GT
-More vintage cars
-What looks like dynamic weather with cloud movement
-Main map screen (though I like GT5P/GTS style minimalist UI too)
-Scapes is still there
-Ditto with Sport Mode (crossplay with GTS possible?)
-Mileage points gone (though it still tracks your daily miles for some reason) - hopefully we can just buy MiEx items with good ol' credits now

Things I don't like:
-Not Trial Mountain (more on this in my other thread)
-Tuning parts unnecessarily divided into different classes
-Car sounds still the same
-GTS messy HUD still the same
-Driving physics still looks the same from onboard (yes I know no one has played the game, you can still learn a lot from onboards)
-Still nonsensical car choices in a race (old Le Mans vs GT1 vs GT3)
-The character guides on the bottom of the screen (cheesy and totally unnecessary, I hope this can be turned off)
-XP system (if I have enough credits, let me do anything I want PD)
-Having both PP and N class system (just have one or the other, 2 wrongs doesn't make a right)

Things I want to see +/- still unknown atm:
-Dynamic time of day
-What the higher level tuning options are
-Car settings screen (tyre pressure, boost & ECU tuning, more realistic default values, ballast & weight distribution info returning)
-Full telemetry like in GT6
-Better replay controls (slow mo) and full screen instead of letterboxed
-Body customization
-Better livery search
-Better sport mode stat tracking (so we don't have to rely on kudosprime)
-Better DR/SR/penalty/damage system
-Better in game economy (no more repeating a race hundreds of times just to buy 1 car)
-GT Cafe???

That's all that comes to mind at the moment. Somehow I feel we're still in the early phases of this game. I wouldn't expect this until late 2021 at the earliest. Plenty of time for improvements. Problem is, I want those new cars in GTS so bad right now :lol:
I think they already implied that dynamic time and weather are in the game. In the trailer they showed the clouds moving and the lightning slightly changed. Dynamic time should be a given for a PS5 game, the PS4 was kinda underpowered, but not having such important features in a PS5 game is inexcusable. The AI also seemed very slow and for a next gen console they can do a lot better. I mean F1 2019 runs on the PS4 and its AI is light years ahead of GTS.

I believe they changed the last chicane on Trial Mountain, because they let the best players race on it and they could not overtake each other, because their lap times are so close together.
So they Tilked the last chicane to a stop chicane in order the best players can overtake.
But the rest of the world will suffer the destroyed flow of this circuit.

Perosnally I never found the last chicane the best part of Trial Mountain, I much prefererd the first half of the track to the last, this change doesn't bother me right now. It may bother me if it does ruin the flow of the track, but I think people forget there are other slow corners in the circuit too.

Why does so many people praise this GT4-style main menu? I never liked how all the icons weren’t visible at once, but maybe it’s just me.
Well, GT4 is the only one where the map menu has the icons not all visible. But GT1-GT3 has all of them visible.
Nostalgia goggles. That's all it really is. From a UX perspective, it's really not very good. Just as it's never been very good to have a mouse like movement with a controller, but hey, that's PD.

Is it wrong to like these kinds of menu? If not with nostalgia reasons btw. Also even if it's about nostalgia, this game (and GT3/GT4) still misses something that can make the navigation easier that has been done before:
This is like the past version of GTS' Top Screen, albeit taking up much smaller space.

Apart from that, mouse like movement with a controller is always PD's sthick in any game (the pointer).

Does anyone have any thoughts on what the gifts could be? Do we think we may get upgrade parts for winning races now as well as cars, can we gift other players stuff?

Looking at the screen shot of the DB11 in the garage screen, I think it's for redeeming cars. But may also be GT5-esque gifting, or rewards. Maybe even parts?

At the very least the way they're positioned it doesn't look like you'll have the GT4 issue of figuring out which direction will get you to the icon you want. If it is to stay mostly as is of course.

Eh, it's what the people wanted I don't blame them for doing this. I wasn't really impressed with Trial Mountain but I've never really liked the track in the first place.

Fans: We want this!

PD: adds it

Fans: Why are you nostalgia pandering?
Even if someone (including myself) are not really a fan of the map menu design, you cant deny that quite alot of people (especially in this forum) likes for it to be back, alongside the tuning shop, used car dealership, etc.

Pinning all blame to PD for such design choices is just disingenuous. Sometimes us fans have to take some portion of it.

I cant really speak for other critisism, though. Then again, it's not final and this trailer is all info we got for GT7 atm.

Obviously not, but it’s pretty well known that the issue that an overwhelming amount of fans had with GTS was that it lacked any true career mode, and wished for it back in a future title
Right, I was one of them, it doesn't mean we wish for a literal copy paste of the same stuff from old games though.

Let's see what they deliver in the end though. Still early days.

Right, I was one of them, it doesn't mean we wish for a literal copy paste of the same stuff from old games though.

Let's see what they deliver in the end though. Still early days.

Oh, for sure. Games 100% still at least a year out, should be some big changes between then and whenever it releases.

...Hopefully

Even if someone (including myself) are not really a fan of the map menu design, you cant deny that quite alot of people (especially in this forum) likes for it to be back, alongside the tuning shop, used car dealership, etc.

Pinning all blame to PD for such design choices is just disingenuous. Sometimes us fans have to take some portion of it.

I cant really speak for other critisism, though. Then again, it's not final and this trailer is all info we got for GT7 atm.
Probably not for map menu, but tuning shop is a must for GT.
Obviously not, but it’s pretty well known that the issue that an overwhelming amount of fans had with GTS was that it lacked any true career mode, and wished for it back in a future title
And a good number of them also doesn't want career to be back and criticized those who wants to (by living too much in the past). But I always feel that there are no limits on what a game can contain, better have both tbh.

I don't think there's anything wrong with nostalgia though. Racing sims typically have the personality of a doorknob, and a lot of the ones from GT4's era probably haven't aged all that well in that respect. The layout might be confusing, but the artistic sense of GT4 holds up, for me at least. But I also like Nintendo games and they've always done that. Form over function!

Did you notice the "race" was ONE lap? I don't think PD have learned from a single mistake killing the reputation of this series since GT6.

The stuff they showed looks very much like this game is close to being finished for release.

It was probably just a custom arcade mode race, I imagine. One with mixed classes - something people have asked for, but are now moaning about now they see it.

I wouldn't read too much into these menus. Given all the typos and placeholder content I think it's pretty safe to say they're very early ideas and prone to change, just like the GTS early menus.

GT-Sport-1.jpg

I love this way of presenting championship, special events and online competitions, the way it was in GT6.

I miss that!

Of all the GT games, I hate the UI of GTSport, the way you move the cursor on the home page is a mess and it had a mind of its own! So frustrating I have clicked on the wrong menu countless times..

I see a lot of people talking about GT Sport being inside GT7, but how? I don't remember this, unless they're just talking about the GT Sport Live thing....?

The main focus of GTSport being the online FIA sanctioned races will be part of GT7 as a subsection.

Everything else in GTSport is the regular GT stuff with a lot of aspects missing that GT7 will address and correct by adding them per our requests and moans...

no, it only comes out on ps5

I know and we can all agree that GT7 is fully designed and optimized to be played on PS5.
No question about it.

I just can’t understand why some of you still can’t accept that there could be be a possibility for GT7 to be playable on PS4.

For example:

In the million lines of code of GT7, for each feature:

Time and Weather:
Feature fully activated for PS5.
[PS4 Time and Weather implementation] dumb down the processing, you will only graphically display some OR part of the time and weather feature up to the capability of the PS4[/PS4 Time and weather implantation]

Ray Tracing:
Feature fully activeD for PS5.
[PS4 implementation of Ray Tracing] Feature permanently OFF [/PS4 implementation of Ray Tracing]

UCD:
ON for PS5.
ON for PS4

Gifting:
ON for PS5.
ON for PS4.

Car wash:
ON for PS5.
ON for PS4.

GT7 Scapes:
ON PS5.
No ray tracing for PS4; photo will have a tiny logo of “GT7 on PS4” at the bottom right corner.

Etc...

This way, everyone is happy, everyone can still play GT7 whether they have a PS4 (until they decide to upgrade) or PS5 (for those fortunate who can upgrade on day one in order to fully enjoy the game as it was intended....

Poor people should not be penalized just because they are not able to afford or forking out $600 just for fun...
How is this fair and how is this in line with “games accessible from 7 to 77 years old”? especially during these difficult times we are going through right now...?

This is is not a Mature game where there is violence and therefore can be restricted by cost...

GT7 should be available for everyone to enjoy from the get go.

Period.

Last edited:
Ideally it will be the chill game with car wash, used car market etc including a competitive AI inside interesting career mode alongside custom race mode with all necessary options to make your own single events or even championships.

You can have Sunday Cup and all the jazz for "nostalgia point" but ...

Back