Gran Turismo 7 Revealed for PlayStation 5

• Thread starter GTPNewsWire
  • 1,404 comments
Ideally it will be the chill game with car wash, used car market etc including a competitive AI inside interesting career mode alongside custom race mode with all necessary options to make your own single events or even championships.

You can have Sunday Cup and all the jazz for "nostalgia point" but ...

how? can you provide an example of the spiced up GT7? I genuinely am curious and interested if it is in line with the GT philosophy...

Last edited:
how? can you provide an example of the spiced up GT7? I genuinely curious and interested if it is inline with the GT philosophy...

It's not my job, I'm not a game developer to come up with gameplay ideas. I think we can agree though that the previous formats ain't exactly thrilling.

F1 games have a good career mode. NFS Porsche had a good career mode. TOCA had a good career mode. I'm not saying to lift ideas from those games because the GT "feel" is very unique but they prove that Career can be more than just doing 3 laps in bland events.

It's not my job, I'm not a game developer to come up with gameplay ideas. I think we can agree though that the previous formats ain't exactly thrilling.

F1 games have a good career mode. NFS Porsche had a good career mode. TOCA had a good career mode. I'm not saying to lift ideas from those games because the GT "feel" is very unique but they prove that Career can be more than just doing 3 laps in bland events.

I am fine with how GT has always been... i can accept change as an evolution, but not a revolution... The GT formula is unique and i dont need it to be chasing others... GT should remain the leader or at least be slightly off beat from others games.

Last edited:
I am fine with how GT has always been... i can accept change as an evolution, but not a revolution... The GT formula is unique and i dont need it to be chasing others... GT should remain the leader or at least be slightly off beat from others games.
Those people with career ideas ask for purely motorsport-centric (car divisions etc.).... but GT is not entirely about motorsports. There are road cars and everyday cars, etc. The motorsport part should be restricted to the actual motorsport cars, but not for the other type of cars. And that way not all race is the same too.

I might be going against the flow of current discussion but I thought it was interesting that we are still stuck with a 16 car grid. Understandably the game is maybe a year or 2 out, but I think with all the power at tap it is high time to have an expanded grid of atleast 30 cars for endurance races.

no, it only comes out on ps5
Is this official?

Even so, I expect some overlap with PS4 GT Sport in multiplayer at least. Splitting the online competitions between PS4 and PS5 doesn't seem like a good idea. The fact that they're keeping the tracks from GTS is another pointer to this.

Even if they force the community to migrate to PS5, the console probably won't be affordable in many countries for some time.

I might be going against the flow of current discussion but I thought it was interesting that we are still stuck with a 16 car grid. Understandably the game is maybe a year or 2 out, but I think with all the power at tap it is high time to have an expanded grid of atleast 30 cars for endurance races.
...I honestly didn't think about that. There was in fact only 16 cars on the grid and I do find that odd myself now.
I mean, if they were going for a graphical leap, I would get it, but they don't seem like it. Visually, GT7 for now seems like GT Sport enhanced, so you would think using GT Sport level visuals on a more powerful console would give room for more cars in a grid.

Well, there is still time and PD has only showed a sample of what's to come. So, I'll hold off judgements until later trailers and gameplay footage appear.

I believe 16 is enough for lobbies though as parties are limited to 16. 20+ in Sport Mode is possible as it’s been done before. I used to compete in Top 24 finals.

If they were to let PS4 and PS5 players race together in FIA, expect no new Gr.3/4 cars then. Unless they also release them on GTS. We’ll see...

Is this official?

Even so, I expect some overlap with PS4 GT Sport in multiplayer at least. Splitting the online competitions between PS4 and PS5 doesn't seem like a good idea. The fact that they're keeping the tracks from GTS is another pointer to this.

Even if they force the community to migrate to PS5, the console probably won't be affordable in many countries for some time.

1. Sony have stated many, many times that they intend for the changeover between current gen and next gen to be as fast as possible - hence why so many first party studios have already showcased games on the system
  2. If the PS5 event was made to show off what the new console is capable of as a result of its power and very fast SSD, why would they then make GT7 crossgen and cancel out any kinds of advancements that could be made by solely developing on next gen
  3. Sony/PlayStation stated that all the games shown during the stream after the GTA V re-remaster (which had a PS4 watermark in the corner) were being showcased on PS5 hardware

We most likely won’t be stuck with 16. Consider that Sport Mode features 20, FIA races feature 24 and there’s a race in GTS’ missions with a 30 car grid

I recall someone mentioning that online lobbies in GTS were peer-to-peer whilst Sport Mode events were on dedicated servers. Not sure if that means anything as for race grids.

Consider that Sport Mode features 20, FIA races feature 24 and there’s a race in GTS’ missions with a 30 car grid

In fact I'm hoping we can get 30 car grids (maybe even more) as often as possible and not merely as a 1 off special event with ristrictive options.

That and because I'm desperate for some multi class action in this game!:boggled:

Is this official?

yes.

I'm glad to see GT going back to its roots, but I won't deny I'm quite disappointed the PS4 won't get a proper GT game. I don't expect the previous pattern of two GT games per console generation; that isn't really sustainable, but it feels to me like the PS4 only got 0.6 GT games. The main feeling GT7 elicits from me is "why didn't you make this?"

More than career mode, I think it's important the way the races will work in GT mode, or whatever what will be called in GT7.

I think that the races with the players starting from the end of the grid, forcing us to make optimistic moves, if not kamikaze, to finish the race in front, in just two laps, should no longer occur in GT. This is not racing.

First of all, qualifying must return. If you want to skip it ok. Just start at the end of the grid, but then, the choice is yours ... The sparse cars at start are the main cause for boring races. Grid starts or Rolling starts with parallel rows should adress this problem (I think this not happens in GT Sport due PS4's lacks processing power to maintain graphic quality and fps in this situation).

Second, we need fast AI that can read the race. It cannot tap the brakes middle corner, nor go to the pits on the last lap ... It's very hard to follow cars braking mid corner, or any other strange behaviours...

Some strategy should be good. Tire wear, fuel consumption and some level of mechanical damage must be part of racing itself. For example, even in short races, if you have the right load of fuel you can be faster.

Championships that really are championships. Not independent races, as in GT Sport. Maybe a mix of both.

What do you guys think?

More than career mode, I think it's important the way the races will work in GT mode, or whatever what will be called in GT7.

I think that the races with the players starting from the end of the grid, forcing us to make optimistic moves, if not kamikaze, to finish the race in front, in just two laps, should no longer occur in GT. This is not racing.

First of all, qualifying must return. If you want to skip it ok. Just start at the end of the grid, but then, the choice is yours ... The sparse cars at start are the main cause for boring races. Grid starts or Rolling starts with parallel rows should adress this problem (I think this not happens in GT Sport due PS4's lacks processing power to maintain graphic quality and fps in this situation).

Second, we need fast AI that can read the race. It cannot tap the brakes middle corner, nor go to the pits on the last lap ... It's very hard to follow cars braking mid corner, or any other strange behaviours...

Some strategy should be good. Tire wear, fuel consumption and some level of mechanical damage must be part of racing itself. For example, even in short races, if you have the right load of fuel you can be faster.

Championships that really are championships. Not independent races, as in GT Sport. Maybe a mix of both.

What do you guys think?
I'm all for the return of qualifying. I posted such in the wishlist thread. It'd mean so much for the option to do so.

PD have the data to program AI to be as fast as the fastest Sport Mode players, down to beginners. This will be the second game in the second phase of Gran Turismo. Now is the time for competitive AI.

Or because you know.... ...games tend to bring back content from previous titles?
All of them? GT Sport or the others didn't keep 100% of the tracks of the previous games like this one.

1. Sony have stated many, many times that they intend for the changeover between current gen and next gen to be as fast as possible - hence why so many first party studios have already showcased games on the system
  2. If the PS5 event was made to show off what the new console is capable of as a result of its power and very fast SSD, why would they then make GT7 crossgen and cancel out any kinds of advancements that could be made by solely developing on next gen
  3. Sony/PlayStation stated that all the games shown during the stream after the GTA V re-remaster (which had a PS4 watermark in the corner) were being showcased on PS5 hardware

We most likely won’t be stuck with 16. Consider that Sport Mode features 20, FIA races feature 24 and there’s a race in GTS’ missions with a 30 car grid
I will buy the PS5 anyway, so I don't care about GT7 for the PS4. But I don't think it's a simple transition for PD. Thinking about what makes more sense, business wise, and these are some facts to consider:

They have invested a lot in building a community around the Sport Mode of GTS. They were not flying people to Monaco for nothing. The user base of GTS is at its peak, or seems like it is. Never seen it so active. What are they gonna do with GTS if GT7 comes out soon, like in the first half of 2021? Shut down GTS suddenly or keep two Sport Mode in parallel, two live events for each game? Doesn't make sense.

It just makes sense that they can at least TRY to keep everyone competing online, while giving PS5 owners much better graphics. The fact that the races shown in the trailer of GT7 look exactly like GTS but in higher resolution is an indication of some sort of backwards compatibility for the Sport Mode at least.

You can say that they will force everyone to upgrade to PS5 and shut down GTS next year or keep it online with minimal support. Doesn't sound reasonable to me. A PS5 won't be affordable for a huge part of their user base. In Brazil for instance, you should multiply the console price by 3 at least and bear in mind that the minimum wage in the country today is at around US$ 250, just to give you an idea of how complicated it is when you have a global launch.

So while we don't have a confirmation from PD about their plans, I'm betting on GT7 for PS4 too or the Sport Mode of GT7 being compatible with PS4 GTS.

Adding a quote from their CEO: "Backwards compatibility, in a networked era, becomes something that is incredibly powerful," PlayStation boss Jim Ryan explained. "Because the gaming community is somewhat tribal in its nature, backwards compatibility gives us the opportunity to migrate that community from PlayStation 4 to next gen using the ability to play the PS4 games they have on their next generation console - groups of 10, 20, 50 gamers. So we see this, given the size of the community that we've been able to accumulate over all these years and hard work on PlayStation 4 as a really critical success factor for us. We think it's incredibly important."

They have invested a lot in building a community around the Sport Mode of GTS. They were not flying people to Monaco for nothing. The user base of GTS is at its peak, or seems like it is. Never seen it so active. What are they gonna do with GTS if GT7 comes out soon, like in the first half of 2021? Shut down GTS suddenly or keep two Sport Mode in parallel, two live events for each game? Doesn't make sense.
You're assuming that GT7 will continue in the vein of GT Sport. GT Sports whole purpose was competetive online competition, e-sports. GT7 may pick up that mantle, but other than GT Sport Live which is just where videos and media from GT Sport can be found, we've seen no suggestions that GT7 will be a big e-sports game. Yet.

It's entirely plausable that GT Sport will continue to host the e-sports and then at an approprate time the baton be passed to GT7. However, I don't think GT7 has to have a big e-sports involvement. Very few people actually compete in GT Sport competetively, so from a business perspective there's not a huge amount to be gained from gearing GT7 in that direction. They might choose that providing a more classic GT will be following the money.1

At the end of the day, as I'm sure you understand and aren't arguing against, we don't know at this time. We might see cross platform online competition but it's unlikely in my opinion. We've already seen hints the GT7 is using a different tyre model in the video, I'd wagers the physics are an evolution of GT Sports engine, but they won't be identical so lap times likely won't be either. The car and track selection is different too, so you would essentially be limiting GT7 to GT Sport in the online e-sports competitition and leavingt hose fewer people who are more intereted in the e-sports over the traditional single player experience with little reason to make the switch form GT Sport to GT7.

That's just my opinion and how I read the istution of course, and I repspect you may not see it the same way. We will have to wait and see and hopefully for both our sakes, GT7 delivers what we want.

I just can’t understand why some of you still can’t accept that there could be be a possibility for GT7 to be playable on PS4.
Gran Turismo had always been on one console, multi-platform never was an option to PD If you look back in his history. Besides, Sony has no intention to port PS5 games over PS4.

You raise quite a few good points Dave,

Please allow me to add/ask/correct/suggest and elaborate more:

You're assuming that GT7 will continue in the vein of GT Sport. GT Sports whole purpose was competetive online competition, e-sports. GT7 may pick up that mantle, but other than GT Sport Live which is just where videos and media from GT Sport can be found, we've seen no suggestions that GT7 will be a big e-sports game. Yet.

Everything that GT Sport is, GT7 will definitely pick everything up and add the traditional as well as the part we have yet to see...

GT7 = past, present (GTS), and future.

So yes, GTS and the competitiveness of it and the association with the FIA, will be an full integral part of GT7.

For those of us not interested, in the online part, which is the majority of the GTS players, given to those who can afford to make the jump, will spend most of their time in the "past and future" aspects of GT7, rather than the "present" (aka GTS within GT7).

It's entirely plausable that GT Sport will continue to host the e-sports and then at an approprate time the baton be passed to GT7.
Absolutely! Kaz and PD, as well as Sony and FIA want people to jump to the more powerful console as soon as possible (no doubt about it), so the push to have esport on GT7 will be there...

However, I don't think GT7 has to have a big e-sports involvement.
see right above. GT7 will have a big e-sports involvement, esport is one of the icons on the main menu of GT7.

Very few people actually compete in GT Sport competetively, ....
yes i agree but...

so from a business perspective there's not a huge amount to be gained from gearing GT7 in that direction. They might choose that providing a more classic GT will be following the money.
again yes i agree, BUT

I do not think that they will separate GTS and GT7 as you described, because:
1) Sony would want to push as many people onto the PS5 as soon as possible, therefore they will incorporate GTS into GT7 to give the early adopters the advantage of a more pleasing and satisfying experience...

Despite the current numbers (low number of people actually playing eSport compared to the number of people owning GTS), but the future is clearly in eSport and online racing competition.

PD has an edge over all other racing games by virtue of the association with FIA.
PD might not have F1, but the association with FIA cannot be taken lightly and is PRICELESS.
and for this reason, eSPORT will continue to be a very important aspect going forward, including with GT7.

HAVING SAID THAT, Kaz/PD and Sony ALSO have the "obligation" to allow people to continue playing GTS for at least the next 2 years (as they have done in the past) because, as much as they want people to upgrade to PS5, the reality of things is that only a few Millions (a dozen tops) can jump to the next Gen console...

Realistically, Kaz/PD/Sony cannot force people to upgrade to PS5 overnight... that is ethically not possible.

For this reason, I do not think that they will separate GTS and GT7 as you described, because:
2) If they severe all ties with GTS, then GT7 would become the only active GT game (whenever that is released), at which point there will be lots of moaning and crying !

Business-wise, it would be very unwise...

I do not think that they will separate GTS and GT7 as you described, because:
3) Technically, it would make little sense to have official competitions on two different consoles... Or two-tier competitions...
So i suspect that the GTS portion of GT7 will be exactly the same as the GTS on PS4, in the name of fairness.

Meaning that any update withing GT7 with respect to GTS (esport), will be reflected onto GTS on PS4.

For the next two years while Sony support the overlapping of players on PS4 and players on PS5, that situation will be as such.

What you will see in GTS on PS4 will be what you are seeing now, but for PS5 players, they will benefit from ray tracing and what not.

?

At the end of the day, as I'm sure you understand and aren't arguing against, we don't know at this time. We might see cross platform online competition but it's unlikely in my opinion.

well said. Our opinion differs. We are simply discussing the possibilities (or not) based on what we dont know...

We've already seen hints the GT7 is using a different tyre model in the video, I'd wagers the physics are an evolution of GT Sports engine, but they won't be identical so lap times likely won't be either.
As much as i want to GT7 to have a new updated tyre model or driving physics... i dont think so, because PD want to save time and just use what we already have from GTS, the same way as for car graphics and models.
For this reason, competition on cross platform can happen.

And if there is any tyre model or driving physics being updated in GT7, i wager it will be reflected onto GT Sport.

The car and track selection is different too, so you would essentially be limiting GT7 to GT Sport in the online e-sports competitition and leaving t hose fewer people who are more intereted in the e-sports over the traditional single player experience with little reason to make the switch form GT Sport to GT7.
Fair point being made.
Why wouldn't GT Sport benefit from a car list update ?
At least make the new car available only for the e-sport portion?

PS5 players will retain all their benefits from being early adopters.
PS4 players will be able to still play GTS against GT7

but while we discuss this particular scenario,
i still dont see why we PS4 wouldn't be able to also purchase a GT7 that is playable on the PS4 at a degraded mode, which would have everything in GTS, making the GTS stand alone game obsolete... at least with this scenario, we would have the full roster of the GT7...

The only downside would be that we dont have a gaming experience as polished as those with the PS5.

That's just my opinion and how I read the intuition of course, and I respect; you may not see it the same way. We will have to wait and see and hopefully for both our sakes, GT7 delivers what we want.
agreed, same here, i am just sharing my gut feeling.

Gran Turismo had always been on one console, multi-platform never was an option to PD If you look back in his history. Besides, Sony has no intention to port PS5 games over PS4.

Yes i am aware of the GT history... but things are different nowadays...

Despite the Sony executive saying they want a clean switch, but maybe the will do an exception for Gran Turismo... they are at a situation where a large division will be created, as i explained just above.

Neither of us know for sure, and so i cannot say that you are wrong, but my guess is as is: there will be some sort of cross or overlap to allow for an easier transition.

No other games on PS5 has this dilemna... except for GTA, but that's an oddball.

Last edited:

It's entirely plausable that GT Sport will continue to host the e-sports and then at an approprate time the baton be passed to GT7. However, I don't think GT7 has to have a big e-sports involvement. Very few people actually compete in GT Sport competetively, so from a business perspective there's not a huge amount to be gained from gearing GT7 in that direction. They might choose that providing a more classic GT will be following the money.1

At the end of the day, as I'm sure you understand and aren't arguing against, we don't know at this time. We might see cross platform online competition but it's unlikely in my opinion. We've already seen hints the GT7 is using a different tyre model in the video, I'd wagers the physics are an evolution of GT Sports engine, but they won't be identical so lap times likely won't be either. The car and track selection is different too, so you would essentially be limiting GT7 to GT Sport in the online e-sports competitition and leavingt hose fewer people who are more intereted in the e-sports over the traditional single player experience with little reason to make the switch form GT Sport to GT7.

That's just my opinion and how I read the istution of course, and I repspect you may not see it the same way. We will have to wait and see and hopefully for both our sakes, GT7 delivers what we want.
I don't have the data, but online competitive games seem to be much more popular than single-player games these days. They're building Gran Turismo as an online competitive "sport". It's expected that it will need time and it will grow with time, so I highly doubt they would give up on what they've built with GTS.

Your theory of GT7 as mainly a solo experience, co-existing with GTS, is possible, but in this case, what would be the multiplayer mode of GT7? As long as it's technically possible, the most reasonable option would be GT7 multiplayer and GTS Sport Mode being the same thing, with better graphics on PS5. They can always add an extra tack of car to GTS.

My impression is that GT7 will be a work in progress for years, starting with shared Sport mode with the PS4 game and once PS5 is more mature they will do a physics update and make it the only one.

I don't have the data, but online competitive games seem to be much more popular than single-player games these days. They're building Gran Turismo as an online competitive "sport". It's expected that it will need time and it will grow with time, so I highly doubt they would give up on what they've built with GTS.

Your theory of GT7 as mainly a solo experience, co-existing with GTS, is possible, but in this case, what would be the multiplayer mode of GT7? As long as it's technically possible, the most reasonable option would be GT7 multiplayer and GTS Sport Mode being the same thing, with better graphics on PS5. They can always add an extra tack of car to GTS.

My impression is that GT7 will be a work in progress for years, starting with shared Sport mode with the PS4 game and once PS5 is more mature they will do a physics update and make it the only one.

I am with you on this ;) Yes.

Gotta say I like what I'm seeing so far. That they focused on career mode gives me hope that will be a big part of the title, and the graphics are, typically of PD, absolutely amazing (GT6 being the disappointing outlier their otherwise stellar offerings). It will take a truly amazing title to bring me back to the Playstation and GT however, and it will also depend on so many other factors (how good are the VR options, since I'm pretty much 100% VR these days and can't imagine going backwards? Will the PS5 support my wheel/pedals/shifter? That kind of thing). Are the physics and FFB truly world-class again? But, were everything to fall into place, man it would be great to have a title as engaging as GT4 was. That would be just fantastic!

Last edited:
So (probably stock photograph) Sarah is a little weird, but I'm glad that of all Western names PD could have chosen, they didn't choose to name her Karen.

Imagine Karen in GT7, where instead of "helping" you, just berates you the entire time about how much your driving sucks and threatens to report that to your parents/spouse/work boss.

We are in the transition of generations, so we have some things to consider, the GT Sport was anticipated with a few months of beta testing, that means saying that with the GT 7 the same thing could happen, but for that, you need a considerable number of people have the new console in hand, so we could already rule out the possibility of the GT 7 being a launch game, in addition, the massive amount of PS4 sold is too big for PD to ignore, so we have a good chance of the GT 7 offering support for this console too, as it is an intergenerational game, maybe we will not see the full potential of the PD with the game and that would explain the same UI and minimal improvements over the previous one, as simple as that.

From my point of view, it would be a very smart move, by taking advantage of the tracks and cars from the previous game, it would be saving resources and consequently maximizing profits with the game.

Back