Gran Turismo 7 Revealed for PlayStation 5

• Thread starter GTPNewsWire
  • 1,404 comments
So (probably stock photograph) Sarah is a little weird, but I'm glad that of all Western names PD could have chosen, they didn't choose to name her Karen.

Imagine Karen in GT7, where instead of "helping" you, just berates you the entire time about how much your driving sucks and threatens to report that to your parents/spouse/work boss.
Ironic that Karen is the name of a different Sony(movie) product, Spider-man's suit. :sly:

GT Sport was anticipated with a few months of beta testing

GT Sport's beta testing was mostly due to the eSport, online focus of the game. They were of course, collecting information from testers (as well as suggestions), but I feel like one of the primary focuses of the beta test was to test server load. It probably wouldn't have been a good idea for PD to release an online centric game without looking at server load and capacity first. That's how games go down on their first day out

in addition, the massive amount of PS4 sold is too big for PD to ignore, so we have a good chance of the GT 7 offering support for this console too

The PS1 is one of the best selling consoles of all time. When developing GT3, did PD take the success from last gen in mind and create a crossgen game?

They didn't - yet GT3 is still the best selling GT game on the best selling console of all time, and it released within a year from the PS2's launch.

would explain the same UI

Placeholder HUD. There are things that we know of that are featured in GT7 that aren't reflected in the GT Sport HUD, so why would they continue to use it?

From my point of view, it would be a very smart move, by taking advantage of the tracks and cars from the previous game, it would be saving resources and consequently maximizing profits with the game.

The last time PD developed a game on older hardware it ended up being the worst selling title in the series. Nobody is saying that Sport mode won't have a presence in GT7, but to have some kind of crossgen situation going on between the two games seems incredibly long winded, and would stunt the production of the game being developed on newer hardware (i.e. dynamic anything being unable to implement due to GTS not supporting it, tracks not gaining any kind of additional visual fidelity over their GT Sport interpretation due to the PS4 simply not being able to handle it)

After stating that the transition between this gen and next gen is going to be relatively quick, (evident in the stream - Sony are offering two variations of the PS5, and I assume the Digital Edition will be made cheaper as to be an easier way for more people to enter the PS5 ecosystem) I heavily doubt that Sony will make an exception just for PD. Sport mode isn't even played by the majority of people that own GTS, so why would they make that crossgen?

This is what I don't understand.

Fans A : We want this!

PD: adds it

Fans B : Why are you nostalgia pandering?

GT Sport's beta testing was mostly due to the eSport, online focus of the game. They were of course, collecting information from testers (as well as suggestions), but I feel like one of the primary focuses of the beta test was to test server load. It probably wouldn't have been a good idea for PD to release an online centric game without looking at server load and capacity first. That's how games go down on their first day out
Very good point !
So for the PS5/GT7 combo, we most likely will not have to go through that period.

The PS1 is one of the best selling consoles of all time. When developing GT3, did PD take the success from last gen in mind and create a crossgen game?

They didn't - yet GT3 is still the best selling GT game on the best selling console of all time, and it released within a year from the PS2's launch.
It is tempting to say that:
The situation of going from GT1/GT2/PS1 to GT3/PS2 is the same as GTS/PS4 to GT7/PS5, but i think we should be careful not to see from the same rosy glasses.

After the major success of GT1 and GT2, PD had nothing to lose, the went all in and were very confident in making a leap without having to worry about any history or hurting customers... there were no precedence set.

The situation now is different, you have a huge fan base and they know it.
They are listening to us and certainly they dont want to deceive us...
The task now is much harder, because a lot is at stake.

The question that PD should have an answer by now already is:
"What should PD do to avoid alienating the current GTS customers?"
"Is PD honestly expecting all of their GTS customer to jump onto the PS5 on day one?"
"Is PD simply going to turn the light off on GTS on GT7's release?"

So you think that PD will just pull the band aid rather quickly huh ?
After stating that the transition between this gen and next gen is going to be relatively quick, (evident in the stream - Sony are offering two variations of the PS5, and I assume the Digital Edition will be made cheaper as to be an easier way for more people to enter the PS5 ecosystem) I heavily doubt that Sony will make an exception just for PD. Sport mode isn't even played by the majority of people that own GTS, so why would they make that crossgen?
Obviously our opinions differ. I understand what you are saying, but i disagree.
Let's see what Kaz/PD/Sony decide to do...

If they have enough cashflow and margin to weather the risks taken, great for Kaz/PD/Sony...
without the balance sheet in front of us, it is very hard to see what make most sense.

Last edited:
Easy there... proof?

Real time raytracing in GT7 makes "easy" this item wich was "imposible" with precalculated raytracing in GTS.

Fans A : We want this!

PD: adds it

Fans B : Why are you nostalgia pandering?

Very good point !
So for the PS5/GT7 combo, we most likely will not have to go through that period.

It is tempting to say that:
The situation of going from GT1/GT2/PS1 to GT3/PS2 is the same as GTS/PS4 to GT7/PS5, but i think we should be careful not to see from the same rosy glasses.

After the major success of GT1 and GT2, PD had nothing to lose, the went all in and were very confident in making a leap without having to worry about any history or hurting customers... there were no precedence set.

The situation now is different, you have a huge fan base and they know it.
They are listening to us and certainly they dont want to deceive us...
The task now is much harder, because a lot is at stake.

The question that PD should have an answer by now already is:
"What should PD do to avoid alienating the current GTS customers?"
"Is PD honestly expecting all of their GTS customer to jump onto the PS5 on day one?"
"Is PD simply going to turn the light off on GTS on GT7's release?"

So you think that PD will just pull the band aid rather quickly huh ?

Obviously our opinions differ. I understand what you are saying, but i disagree.
Let's see what Kaz/PD/Sony decide to do...

If they have enough cashflow and margin to weather the risks taken, great for Kaz/PD/Sony...
without the balance sheet in front of us, it is very hard to see what make most sense.

I think it's not as hard to make all of us happy in the current point of PD mastering their job. PD can add more classic GT content, they can keep and expand sport mode, they can improve realistic simulation and at the same time keep and add assists for casual people. Options are made for that and daily races A are made for more casual people than C races or FIA races... all of us can be happy. It's not a zero sum system, we can add all we want.

And I want Caterham and Radical in GT7 !!!

Last edited:
Just a highlight for the new member of the series. :sly:

917.png

Well, we all know this "past-present-future" thing is real, even PlayStation's channel has mentioned that on its GT7 video description. Because of it, something really insane came to my mind today.

Imagine if we got a series of three trailers, each one focusing on each "time" to showcase better each feature (and make us even more hyped).

Gran Turismo 7 "PAST" Official Trailer
This trailer would be all about showing some shots of more classic original tracks reimagined, plus with a remastered soundtrack on the background. The cars would be mostly 90's JDMs.

Gran Turismo 7 "PRESENT" Official Trailer
This trailer would feature an overview for the online mode, representing the current-gen GT (Sport) on its strongest point. The cars would be mostly GT3 machines.

Gran Turismo 7 "FUTURE" Official Trailer
This trailer would only show GT7's amazing graphics with even more detail, giving an obvious emphasis on ray tracing. The cars would be mostly Vision GTs.

The only thing that is nostalgia pandering for now is the map menu right? And like I said before, the nostalgia misses one thing, the shortcut menus seen on GT1/GT2.

The whole trailer was nostalgia pandering. The menus themselves in design, the features they showed on them (Used cars, tuning/upgrades etc), then the only footage they showed was on the nostalgia track people wanted back.

Whether people enjoyed it or not, that's pretty clear what they they were going for.

Also, "GRAN TURISMO IS BACK!".

Edit: I guess if the trailer is being compared to GT4, what does that game game have that may be in GT7?

We see the main menu, tuning and a classic track.https://www.gran-turismo.com/us/products/gt4/
Key Features:

New physics engine adds a higher level of realism in car performance.

The game physics can now react within .03 seconds of its human counterpart.

More than 700 vehicles encompassing manufacturers from around the world ranging from vintage to modern models seen today.

Up to 100 international courses including rally, real-world city circuits, world-renowned racing tracks and more.

All vehicles are fully customizable from tire pressure, ride height to gear ratio.

Advanced opponent artificial intelligence allows for more human-like behavior.

Refined replay mode with broadcast-quality graphics.

Two race modes including:
Arcade Mode-- Players compete against each other or the artificial intelligence on select courses

Simulation-- Players start from the bottom and race to earn money, unlock cars and courses, buy and sell cars, upgrade parts while competing in various championships

i1Nx5NlbscrECRB.jpg

i1TVDBBNWY4s3b.jpg

GT Sport was similar to GT3 in content. Over 700 vehicles in GT4. We didn't reach a guesstimated/estimated 400-500, adding another 370 cars would be a huge task. PD would have had to make two cars everytime they made one car, during GT Sport. That's if all cars are being ported over to GT7.

100 international courses. That seems doable. Just adding half the tracks from GT4, would easily reach that number.

Tire pressure would be a return feature

Scapes are a big thing. SO, maybe adding to the broadcast style replays will be a next thing. Just about anyone can be a professional photographer in GT. How about a videographer/film maker in GT7? I can see in game music along replay editing, being something new to play with.

Last edited:

Placeholder HUD. There are things that we know of that are featured in GT7 that aren't reflected in the GT Sport HUD, so why would they continue to use it?

The last time PD developed a game on older hardware it ended up being the worst selling title in the series. Nobody is saying that Sport mode won't have a presence in GT7, but to have some kind of crossgen situation going on between the two games seems incredibly long winded, and would stunt the production of the game being developed on newer hardware (i.e. dynamic anything being unable to implement due to GTS not supporting it, tracks not gaining any kind of additional visual fidelity over their GT Sport interpretation due to the PS4 simply not being able to handle it)

4k UHD drives can be bought around £20 for Sony's bulk purchase it may be like £10, unsure it would make much of difference in price.

The whole trailer was nostalgia pandering. The menus themselves in design, the features they showed on them (Used cars, tuning/upgrades etc), then the only footage they showed was on the nostalgia track people wanted back.

Whether people enjoyed it or not, that's pretty clear what they they were going for.
Yeah, but about used cars, tuning, and upgrades, nostalgia or not, it's making the game more broad/complete. And for sim like GT, I think it's a must (the actual feeling of looking for and searching into cars you really want based on what's available, the feeling of actually installing and fitting parts into a car instead of mere numbers)

Yeah, but about used cars, tuning, and upgrades, nostalgia or not, it's making the game more broad/complete. And for sim like GT, I think it's a must (the actual feeling of looking for and searching into cars you really want based on what's available, the feeling of actually installing and fitting parts into a car instead of mere numbers)

Yeah for sure I'm not saying it is bad to bring that stuff back, far from it, just that it's what it was. They could've shown that stuff off in trailer 2,3,4 etc, or even in later gameplay deep dives, but they decided to fill this first one with all the nostalgia to draw people in. It seems to have worked as well looking at social media/Reddit/YT reactions. So fair enough.

Not sure how a slightly different detail to the Grille is a facelift. =Even in the GTS shot, it still there but in a different color.

I only realised that the extra on the grille was there when I was using the livery editor two days ago.
Gran Turismo®SPORT_20200614094652 copy.png

Tbh, I prefer the car without that extra grille.

Mmmmm things being said about GTS/GT7 crossplay...

It only depends on GT7 release date.

GT7 is a day one title = means that the engine is the same for GTS, for a 1 to 2 years GTS is going to have updates regarding physics in order to let cross gen races ONLY for FIA races. Remember that IF the engine is the same, whatever you improve for GT7 you can put it in GTS.

GT7 is 2 years away = new engine, new everything. 6 more months of GTS servers and that's all. Because by that time ps5 sales match what they could think is a proper quantity of players available.

This is what I don't understand. We wanted GT to return to it's roots so why do people complain?

You may have wanted GT to return to it's roots. Others would prefer to see GT including some more modern game design elements.

Not that GT4 wasn't the perfect game and all that, but is it really not possible to improve on a 16 year old racing game? Is GT4 Spec II really what people want from a game? I mean, I'd probably play it, but I'm not sure I'd pay more than maybe 20 bucks for the pleasure. GT4 was good at the time, but it really doesn't actually hold up that well if you go back and play it now.

Out of curiosity, what would you do to improve career mode over GT4? Besides some story driven adventure or AI improvements of course.

Out of curiosity, what would you do to improve career mode over GT4? Besides some story driven adventure or AI improvements of course.

IMO the key point in any career mode is the reward, The gifts and deblocking content.

Driver Level 50 for example is not very exciting to achieve but expensive historical cars and unlocking historical races are good ones I think.

I can imagine the 3x20 millions '66 cars as a gift when finishing the carrer mode, or great historical collections like that (even if you can buy it one by one with credits)

Unlocking missions could be a reward itself too.

Unlocking interior finishes for all cars like woods, carbon fibers, couloured leathers... Customisation interiors could be HUGE with raytracing even more spectacular !

Last edited:
You need some better motivation and reason for doing the races, and also adding structure helps rather than the "here is a list of events, pick whichever you want whenever you want, pick another, rinse repeat"

It also needs to have a clear identity and direction. What is GT Mode supposed to represent? It starts out like a bunch of amateur friends taking their daily drivers for a race around the track and ends with you doing serious professional races, even F1 style races in some of the games. GTS with the online stuff focused mostly on the professional racing angle, but then the patched in GT League went back to a mixture.

Some people evidently don't give a damn and will just do races and earn cars without thinking about it, which is fine, but some of us require a bit more.

It's why I didn't really get along with the new GRID game. Some fun racing to be had but it's a soulless list of events you're asked to do for no reason and no reward except unlocking the next one. That's not engaging enough for me.

As someone who has been a diehard fan from the very first game, I felt a little bit underwhelmed by the trailer. When I think back to the difference in graphics between GT2 (PS1) and GT3 (PS2), it was quite a leap. I look at GT7 compared to GTS and I'm feeling 'meh'. Yes, there will be ray-tracing and faster fps but apart from that, what's the real difference in graphics? This is the PS5 we're talking about - I expected a much greater leap in graphics - to the point where the tracks look real - I mean 'real'. Spectators still look wooden and cartoonish and everything I've seen so far shouts "GRAPHICS". If PD are thinking of creating a new original track, how about calling it 'Uncanny Valley'? It looks like an elaborate port from GTS to me. Yes, I know it's still in development and dynamic effects are likely, but I'm not now expecting to see the leap I was hoping for. But despite all that, of course I'll still get it - eventually.

On the subject of release date, I think GT7 will be day 1. The reason for this is three-fold - firstly, you only have to look at how GTS was first released: under-developed but a significant prototype for what was to come while giving PD a very solid test and learn platform to release value iteratively. It seems to me that GT7 is much further on the development path than GTS was at or near release (mainly because GTS now appears to have been GT7's beta) and therefore it makes sense to release early and learn from your vocal and highly critical users. GT7 will therefore be much more developed than GTS ever was at release. Secondly, software development these days uses agile methodology to release early with a prototype and learn from its users before investing in new features. That way, the product is shaped very much by its users and everyone wins. What matters to users is central to development. PD seems to have made full use of this methodology because what it also does is maintains interest in the product while only spending money on the stuff that matters - and critically for the balance sheet, in stages that is affordable. Thirdly, Sony needs a high profile racing game upon PS5 release to attract the widest possible range of gamers. GT7 fans can then take some comfort in expecting more than one GT release like we only got for PS4. And I don't believe GT7 will have cross-platform gameplay - that's a whole other article.

The one thing PD should do is engage directly with their audience and poll suggested improvements or actively encourage feedback that helps them with development - PD really need to open up more and not be the secret operation they so clearly are.

4k UHD drives can be bought around £20 for Sony's bulk purchase it may be like £10, unsure it would make much of difference in price.

The difference in price between the Xbox One S and the Xbox One S All Digital Edition was like £50. I’m expecting the difference in price between the two PS5 variants to be around the same

43953366-81BE-48C2-8A18-186AED983088.jpeg

Here’s something I found interesting,

GT Sport released in 2017 with GT3 cars.

Assetto Corsa has the rights to the Blancpain series for 2018, 2019, and I’m guessing 2020? Not sure if they have the license for GT3 as a whole.

With that said, in both trailers shown, the Dodge Viper GT3-R is THE only real life GT3 car shown in game.

Thoughts?

View attachment 930256

Here’s something I found interesting,

GT Sport released in 2017 with GT3 cars.

Assetto Corsa has the rights to the Blancpain series for 2018, 2019, and I’m guessing 2020? Not sure if they have the license for GT3 as a whole.

With that said, in both trailers shown, the Dodge Viper GT3-R is THE only real life GT3 car shown in game.

Thoughts?
I think the R8 and M6 are in the trailer.

Here's the AMG GT GT3
image_gran_turismo_7-42169-4502_0006.jpg

Back