Gran Turismo 7 Revealed for PlayStation 5

• Thread starter GTPNewsWire
  • 1,404 comments
I don't think ACC having the SRO license deal would prohibit other games having GT3 cars, of course GTS doesn't even call them that, which gets over the naming hurdle. They can approach manufacturers directly for license.

Imagine Karen in GT7, where instead of "helping" you, just berates you the entire time about how much your driving sucks and threatens to report that to your parents/spouse/work boss.

She'll call the cops whenever I start the game up accusing me of harassing her...

Assetto Corsa has the rights to the Blancpain series for 2018, 2019, and I’m guessing 2020? Not sure if they have the license for GT3 as a whole

I think Porsche actually owns the trademark for the term "GT3".

You may have wanted GT to return to it's roots. Others would prefer to see GT including some more modern game design elements.

Not that GT4 wasn't the perfect game and all that, but is it really not possible to improve on a 16 year old racing game? Is GT4 Spec II really what people want from a game? I mean, I'd probably play it, but I'm not sure I'd pay more than maybe 20 bucks for the pleasure. GT4 was good at the time, but it really doesn't actually hold up that well if you go back and play it now.
Obviously you can improve 16 year old racing game.... but some asks to ditch completely everything from old times indiscriminately, but I think keep the good ones but add the good modern parts (and for old parts, I would think for reasons other than nostalgia to keep it). And just asking, what "modern game design elements" would you want in the game? Other than online part where GT Sport is about.

Out of curiosity, what would you do to improve career mode over GT4? Besides some story driven adventure or AI improvements of course.
Take GT4's current content and variations, but add more depths to those that needed it (can be those that is done on next GT games or something hasn't been done in GT), like for example in Super GT events, add up their actual rules and regulations, probably even give some task to enter that type of event, done like Special Events on GT5, but is actually connected to the event (unlike GT5's where NASCAR Special Event is separate from actual NASCAR Cup).

Do you guys think 30-40 cars on track is a possibility, can the PS5 handle that many?

I would like to see that happen as it will make a BIG difference and a ton of smiling faces. But with PD logic, it might not happen even though one of the GTS missions had a 30 car grid.

Its quite simple, you can't please all the people all the time.

If GT7 had released on PS4 instead of GTS the complaint would have been "Its just GT4/5/6 with upgraded graphics".

As it is, GTS is more modern, it is centered around online and has the esports aspect and the association with the FIA.
Maybe they should have released it with a different name to stop the "waahh this isn't Gran Turismo" whinges that are still getting posted - but then I guess those people would just moan that they released a different game and not a GT..

Now, it appears that GT7 will bring both bits together and guess what, people are still going to moan that it should have this feature or work that way.

I just hope it comes (relatively soon) and becomes a defining part of the PS5 era.

Its quite simple, you can't please all the people all the time.

If GT7 had released on PS4 instead of GTS the complaint would have been "Its just GT4/5/6 with upgraded graphics".

As it is, GTS is more modern, it is centered around online and has the esports aspect and the association with the FIA.
Maybe they should have released it with a different name to stop the "waahh this isn't Gran Turismo" whinges that are still getting posted - but then I guess those people would just moan that they released a different game and not a GT..

Now, it appears that GT7 will bring both bits together and guess what, people are still going to moan that it should have this feature or work that way.

I just hope it comes (relatively soon) and becomes a defining part of the PS5 era.

Thank you for this, I agree.

And just asking, what "modern game design elements" would you want in the game? Other than online part where GT Sport is about.

A simple one might be a menu system that isn't based around a mouse cursor. Or well designed menus that are both intuitive and minimise unnecessary actions in general.

More complex ones might be a structured and engaging career mode, a well designed economy that appropriately rewards the player's time, and perhaps even some options for scaling difficulty (although that might be asking for a bit too much, in real life every player drives at the same pace and responds to the same level of challenge).

The one that I saw today that they definitely won't put in but I really think would add to the atmosphere would be functionality like Crew Chief. It's a combination spotter (hey, no more not knowing that someone's pulled alongside you!) and race engineer (hey, useful information on the race that makes you feel like a real race driver!) that's voice activated (hey, look Ma, no hands!).

I think done well it could definitely add personality and atmosphere to the game, as well as being useful (and arguably a massive upgrade from a radar for clean online play, keeping your eyes on the road matters).

In fact, I think simply having the game talk to you while you're driving has MASSIVE potential for also being able to share greater game information in a way that isn't cutscenes of Zombie Jeff Gordon. Update the player on their rivals, the team dynamics, the history of the track or event, talk about the car, anything you like. The way Forza Horizon uses voice over while you're driving/racing is great to keep the player engaged, and suits the fact that most people are both completely capable of driving and listening and that they're not really doing that much with their ears while they're racing usually. The style is very suited to Horizon's more relaxed atmosphere, but I think you could definitely tailor the technique to a more refined and professional style that would suit Gran Turismo more.

(Yes, I included this one just so that we can all remember the joys of the Benz Patent Motor Wagen and the Daimler Motor Carriage by watching a slow lorry. :P)

There's a remarkable amount of things about Gran Turismo that are hold-overs from late 90s/early 00s game design. At the time they were fine, but I really don't think that the game needs to still be holding onto all that stuff twenty years later just because "nostalgia". People get nostalgic because the old games were good at the time. Instead of making GT7 out of the same old stuff, I'd rather they make something new and amazing that people will be nostalgic when they remember it in 2040. Aim forwards, not backwards.

I think Porsche actually owns the trademark for the term "GT3".

They do, but only in certain categories, and these categories wouldn't prevent the use of the term in a motor racing series or category. They also have GT2, GT4, GT5, GT7, GT9, GT11 and they tried registering everything in between. They also have "Roadster" (amongst many, many others), but the scope is only for various specific accessories, like perfume for instance. They've also trademarked the term 'DNA'... though only in the scope of 'Lighting apparatus for vehicles'... IP searches can be amusing... https://euipo.europa.eu/eSearch/#details/owners/330493

I am fine with how GT has always been... i can accept change as an evolution, but not a revolution... The GT formula is unique and i dont need it to be chasing others... GT should remain the leader or at least be slightly off beat from others games.

Sorry for late reply. Oh I agree GT absolutely don't need to copy anyone. As I pointed out those are just examples of career modes that aren't just "drive 3 laps here" next event etc.

As it is now to me personally the formula is pretty boring and I'd rather use custom race mode - which I hope will be more robust in GT7.

I am fine with how GT has always been... i can accept change as an evolution, but not a revolution... The GT formula is unique and i dont need it to be chasing others... GT should remain the leader or at least be slightly off beat from others games.

GT doesn't necessarily need to chase others, it just needs to be more modern (Something I have mentioned before). Nostalgia is great and all, but it's not exactly moving the needle nor is it doing something different when it's just the same old thing only slightly prettier As much as people didn't like GT Sport, it was a completely different game and if Kaz is super serious about GT7 being a combination of the past and present, then there needs to be more then just a mode that's present.

View attachment 930256

Here’s something I found interesting,

GT Sport released in 2017 with GT3 cars.

Assetto Corsa has the rights to the Blancpain series for 2018, 2019, and I’m guessing 2020? Not sure if they have the license for GT3 as a whole.

With that said, in both trailers shown, the Dodge Viper GT3-R is THE only real life GT3 car shown in game.

Thoughts?

As mentioned, there is an R8 LMS and A Mercedes AMG GT3 along with a Mclaren 650S GT3. ACC only has the license to what is formally known as Blancpain Series, not the entire SRO GT3 formula (As Project Cars 3 already demonstrated and the Next Forza will demonstrate)

Gran Turismo has already shown its fans that it can be more than just a car game. since gt6, with a circuit maker that any other game envies, also in the last series, a design creator. which, in my opinion, has almost more people than those who play races. Also very important, the test track, 400, 1000 meters that is so important to tune the cars. I will refrain from talking about peak peaks because I think it will become part of Gran Turismo 7.
Don't forget a radial skidpad, Aguia. I hope we didn,t jinx it.

A simple one might be a menu system that isn't based around a mouse cursor. Or well designed menus that are both intuitive and minimise unnecessary actions in general.

More complex ones might be a structured and engaging career mode, a well designed economy that appropriately rewards the player's time, and perhaps even some options for scaling difficulty (although that might be asking for a bit too much, in real life every player drives at the same pace and responds to the same level of challenge).

The one that I saw today that they definitely won't put in but I really think would add to the atmosphere would be functionality like Crew Chief. It's a combination spotter (hey, no more not knowing that someone's pulled alongside you!) and race engineer (hey, useful information on the race that makes you feel like a real race driver!) that's voice activated (hey, look Ma, no hands!).

I think done well it could definitely add personality and atmosphere to the game, as well as being useful (and arguably a massive upgrade from a radar for clean online play, keeping your eyes on the road matters).

In fact, I think simply having the game talk to you while you're driving has MASSIVE potential for also being able to share greater game information in a way that isn't cutscenes of Zombie Jeff Gordon. Update the player on their rivals, the team dynamics, the history of the track or event, talk about the car, anything you like. The way Forza Horizon uses voice over while you're driving/racing is great to keep the player engaged, and suits the fact that most people are both completely capable of driving and listening and that they're not really doing that much with their ears while they're racing usually. The style is very suited to Horizon's more relaxed atmosphere, but I think you could definitely tailor the technique to a more refined and professional style that would suit Gran Turismo more.

(Yes, I included this one just so that we can all remember the joys of the Benz Patent Motor Wagen and the Daimler Motor Carriage by watching a slow lorry. :P)

There's a remarkable amount of things about Gran Turismo that are hold-overs from late 90s/early 00s game design. At the time they were fine, but I really don't think that the game needs to still be holding onto all that stuff twenty years later just because "nostalgia". People get nostalgic because the old games were good at the time. Instead of making GT7 out of the same old stuff, I'd rather they make something new and amazing that people will be nostalgic when they remember it in 2040. Aim forwards, not backwards.

Well yeah so it's more like copying what newer, recent game does... but I think that each developers have different foresight for each of their games and implement what they think are the best for their games... so I can't really say about how this one game's the only one is the best at something because each developer and people are different in that.

The problems in menu is also not necessarily the menu itself but also the loading times which is the console's problem if anything.

For CrewChief part.... I said that, not everything in GT is motorsport related. It can be implemented in the actual motorsport part, but I feel like those suggesting this neglect the road car part for GT. As for other talks... people are at outrage with the real person face on the tutorial boxes in GT7 recently.

Some people are praising the game while others are complaining about the game nostalgia pandering or just looking like GTS. In which, makes absolute sense.

If people are puzzled by why this is the case, it's simple. The Gran Turismo series is one of the oldest racing game franchises and thus has such a huge fanbase. With that fanbase, there were people that played it for different reasons; which is fine. With all of you, I'm seeing those different kind of fans. There's people that love those old styled menus of GT and how the career mode is setup (myself included, I don't believe in the notion that everything has to change) while others prefer for it to change like how other games change. This honestly reminds me of the Resident Evil fanbase where there's a split between people being fans of Capcom changing the formula while others prefer it to stay the same. Some people called the fixed camera of classic RE dated while others thought it added to the atmosphere and feel of the game.

The funny thing is if PD did change the game to a more modern styled UI, I bet there would be plenty of people complaining about that. Heck, if PD added a story and changed the career format, I can see some fans complain about that. I at least would, it's a change I reaaallly don't want.

Here we see the headlights working effectively. Something deficient in the GT Sport. (And note that it's daylight).

reflex.png

Last edited:
I’m gonna take a step back. I’ve spent way too much time speculating about sims and driving games.

I hate how the developers don’t release much about their games when they’re announced, and that honestly leads to me being uninterested in the game by the time it comes out.

All the hiding track lists, car lists, certain features up until launch can **** off.

Just tell me what you’re aiming for, what will be in the game and when it’s going to be released.

Maybe they’ll have less pissed off fans who just sit around and make essays about their wish list, only to find out non of it is in the game.

Some people are praising the game while others are complaining about the game nostalgia pandering or just looking like GTS. In which, makes absolute sense.

If people are puzzled by why this is the case, it's simple. The Gran Turismo series is one of the oldest racing game franchises and thus has such a huge fanbase. With that fanbase, there were people that played it for different reasons; which is fine. With all of you, I'm seeing those different kind of fans. There's people that love those old styled menus of GT and how the career mode is setup (myself included, I don't believe in the notion that everything has to change) while others prefer for it to change like how other games change. This honestly reminds me of the Resident Evil fanbase where there's a split between people being fans of Capcom changing the formula while others prefer it to stay the same. Some people called the fixed camera of classic RE dated while others thought it added to the atmosphere and feel of the game.

The funny thing is if PD did change the game to a more modern styled UI, I bet there would be plenty of people complaining about that. Heck, if PD added a story and changed the career format, I can see some fans complain about that. I at least would, it's a change I reaaallly don't want.
The thing I'm puzzled is not the case being that, but like how to satisfy everyone. I know that you cannot please everyone but I still wonder what has to be done for the best case scenario. They're trying for that though with "past, present, and future" thing, namely by the offline content from previous GT and online content for GT Sport. I've always wanted to see the map styled menu modernized, and I finally got it here. I feel like for easy navigation, they have to readd the shortcut menus GT1/GT2 employs. For Career (uh no, it's GT Mode), I've rest my case previously, GT4 level of broadness, but with added touches:

Personally I want the next GT to elaborate more on low - mid - high level of a car type like GT2 and GT3 does (MR challenge - there are low perfomance part, mid, and finally high part) for road car races (low performances are stock slow cars, high performances can be either max. tuned cars like GT1's Megaspeed, or even Racing Modification versions if it's coming back). Also make the motorsport part more real - Special Events like GT5's NASCAR School to determine if you're suitable to enter the event, giving the rules of that motorsport there, and also Endurance Championship (unlike the current GT's stand alone Fuji/Suzuka 1000 km).

Remember GT Sport was supposed to launch with 19 tracks, it had 14 IIRC

I think the car list might be decent because there outsourcing for a few years now.

What really matters for me is the tracks, they should have around 15 more than GT Sport, with alot of originals.

I don't want everything to come in updates again, kills the feeling.

And besides, it looks like PD hid some cars when they updated Gran Turismo Sport. I mean, Like when they released 7 cars: what if they actually had modelled 10 cars, and saved it for the next game?

You have whole Roster from GT6 which may be used and new cars.

Hoping Used Car dealership will have variations

The trailer showed two positive things and a very negative one.
Positive, the return to the original format of menus and.... TRIAL MOUNTAIN... YESSSS
Negative, you can tell clearly how freaking arcade it continues to be. Zero interest in making it more real.

Do you guys think 30-40 cars on track is a possibility, can the PS5 handle that many?

I would like to see that happen as it will make a BIG difference and a ton of smiling faces. But with PD logic, it might not happen even though one of the GTS missions had a 30 car grid.
I particularly hope not. In fact, this traditional hardening race methodology is tedious and negative. I think it exists only because of tradition. Technically, visually, I don't like it.

Well yeah so it's more like copying what newer, recent game does...

Sure. If someone else has a good idea, why would you not take it and use it? I think you'll find that a lot of the best games are the ones that took good ideas from other games and refined the crap out of them. Blizzard basically built an empire around taking other people's ideas and polishing them until they were magnificent.

...but I think that each developers have different foresight for each of their games and implement what they think are the best for their games... so I can't really say about how this one game's the only one is the best at something because each developer and people are different in that.

You asked for ideas, mate. Don't shoot me down just because you don't like them.

But stuff like some sort of scaling difficulty is not really something where it's a matter of opinion. It's an objective fact that the range of player skill is so wide that it's impossible to provide a single difficulty level that will adequately challenge them all. You have to have some sort of system in place, be that as simple as a difficulty slider or as complex as a system that adapts difficulties behind the scenes according to past results and predicted future performance.

If a developer thinks that having no provision for variable difficulties in their racing game is a legitimate improvement over no provision at all, that's not a nuanced opinion. That's just stupid, and apparently it's stupid that's managed to survive twenty three years so far despite the fact that everyone has been mildly frustrated with it since 1997.

The problems in menu is also not necessarily the menu itself but also the loading times which is the console's problem if anything.

If webpages can be designed to load basically instantly, then the menus can be snappy if the developer wants. It's a trade-off of how much eye candy of spinning high resolution 3D models they want to include.

I'm suggesting that perhaps usability warrants some consideration over pure attractiveness, something that's not exactly a revolutionary concept in UI design. Software should always be designed with the hardware it's intended to run on, after all. If someone makes a smartphone app that runs like crap because it requires the power of a $3000 desktop computer, that's not the phone's fault.

For CrewChief part.... I said that, not everything in GT is motorsport related. It can be implemented in the actual motorsport part, but I feel like those suggesting this neglect the road car part for GT.

I don't think having motorsport aspects means that you can't include the road car aspects. The fundamentals of the game is that you're racing on a race circuit, no matter whether it's a stock road car, a race car or something in-between. That implies some sort of motorsports infrastructure (what with you taking part in this sport-like activity in a motorcar), be it a whole racing team or a couple of mates with a tyre jack and a radio. Anything that is beneficial to you driving your box in a circle seems like fair game, and something like Crew Chief seemed to me to be interesting and quirky for a console game.

I didn't realise there were rules on how motorsport related ideas were allowed to be. I apologise for not being able to read your mind.

And just asking, what "modern game design elements" would you want in the game? Other than online part where GT Sport is about.

Next time you ask for my opinion, maybe you'll be kind enough to include all the rules. "What modern design elements would you want in the game, other than the online parts, anything copied from other games, anything that might require considering the hardware, or stuff related to motorsport?"

Sony is an $80 billion company. They know what they're doing (although sometimes you have to wonder). They and PD lost tens of millions of “old school” revenue to Forza. They haven't given a lot of us much reason to switch back, but I'm sure they're tired of watching that money go somewhere else. They know that a lot of us can afford and might buy a PS5 just for GT7, and they're right. There is a method to their nostalgic madness.

Now if I can just find the Gold Junkies logo Eclipsee made back in the day.

Last edited:
Now the headlights have a more realistic lighting with the light impacting the floor and the Mark IV in front, even in daylight.

that's HDR at its best for ya...
awesome implementation there.

The thing I'm puzzled is not the case being that, but like how to satisfy everyone. I know that you cannot please everyone but I still wonder what has to be done for the best case scenario. They're trying for that though with "past, present, and future" thing, namely by the offline content from previous GT and online content for GT Sport. I've always wanted to see the map styled menu modernized, and I finally got it here. I feel like for easy navigation, they have to readd the shortcut menus GT1/GT2 employs. For Career (uh no, it's GT Mode), I've rest my case previously, GT4 level of broadness, but with added touches:

I hope that one of the aspects that would satisfy the "Future" part is full customization of the layout UI/HUD etc...

I know i am way over my head here, but one can request right...
PD should give us a few options at least...

A few options can go a long way.

@Imari
If there is something i agree with you is : Copying the best ideas... Any great idea out there should be considered and be improved upon...

Back