Gran Turismo 7 Revealed for PlayStation 5

• Thread starter GTPNewsWire
  • 1,404 comments
Looks so tasty...
You mean the map menu? Because it looks so 2009.

This would probably alienate players, as players like open world for its freedom, but I think Gran Turismo's open world should encourage safe driving like what people usually supposed to do on road like obeying rules such as traffic light, speed limit, road lane, etc.
This is actually the exact reason why I can't see GT ever being open world. GT focuses on being a proper skilled and safe driver already, it's not like NFS where it encourages you to break the law. A GT game wouldn't work as open world because the fun of Open world is breaking the law and destroying property. GT doesn't encourage any of that and a game where you have to obey the traffic laws just isn't fun and wouldn't work.

Last edited:
This would probably alienate players, as players like open world for its freedom, but I think Gran Turismo's open world should encourage safe driving like what people usually supposed to do on road like obeying rules such as traffic light, speed limit, road lane, etc.
I could imagine it including challenges that requires stuff like that, but not as an entire game. There would be no point in having all those cars if you couldn't use them.

I recall a series of challeneges in Test Drive Unlimited where you had unlimited time but you lost money as you damaged the car, so there was considerably more risk the faster you went. You could go really slow and guarentee you didn't lose any prize money or go fast and risk earing less cash.

It was an interesting type of challenge, but not everything needs to be a race to the finish as fast as you can. There are a lot of interesting things you can do in an open world and some challenges that require considered driving done the right way and the right frequency could be ok.

Last edited:

This is actually the exact reason why I can't see GT ever being open world. GT focuses on being a proper skilled and safe driver already, it's not like NFS where it encourages you to break the law. A GT game wouldn't work as open world because the fun of Open world is breaking the law and destroying property. GT doesn't encourage any of that and a game where you have to obey the traffic laws just isn't fun and wouldn't work.

I could imagine it including challenges that requires stuff like that, but not as an entire game. There would be no point in having all those cars if you couldn't use them.

I recall a series of challeneges in Test Drive Unlimited where you had unlimited time but you lost money as you damaged the car, so there was considerably more risk the faster you went. You could go really slow and guarentee you didn't lose any prize money or go fast and risk earing less cash.

It was an interesting type of challenge, but not everything needs to be a race to the finish as fast as you can. There are a lot of interesting things you can do in an open world and some challenges that require considered driving done the right way and the right frequency could be ok.
For using all the cars the game have, I also thought about utilizing the everyday cars as traffics, as they will be more common on streets, and GT has loads of them (in the games that has huge car count). And honestly yeah, I'd more think of the open world as a bonus/extension for GT, to play up the driving part for "the real driving simulator", and following the map, can drive to GT Auto, Tuning Shop, etc.

Some of them were really difficult:lol:

This is actually the exact reason why I can't see GT ever being open world. GT focuses on being a proper skilled and
The map: The possibilities, man.

As for open world, it could work. The same way GT was racing without destroying property like the first NFS circuit(not really open world) games.

Yes. The possibilities, man.

GT open world would work. Not everyone drives in games to destroy property. If GTWorld takes to simulating street driving, it's similar to other games like truck driver that allow players to drive in life like traffic.

But that ain't gonna sell. Hardcore real life simulation games are never going to have mass market appeal.

Just imagine Kaz up on a stage promoting his game with speed limits, road rules and no outlandish, illegal driving at all. They would think he's been smoking something.

It's a GT Spinoff though. All types of Kei cars. Customisation. Missions. Online Cruising. Lobbies.

I have no idea how Kaz would promote a rules of the road version. I have ideas of how I'd see such a game. With Kaz' mind, it could be anything.
Him using some features we had in past games:
- Upload your real life route, in some type of track creator
There could be some GT League type events like Mille Miglia and the Isle of Mann on public roads.

Time trials on using the shortest route to a destination, during wet conditions. I don't know what Kaz could dream up.

I understand such a game by PD might never ever happen. I won't lose sleep about it, but can't really say such a game by PD, wouldn't sell to casual players.

It's a GT Spinoff though. All types of Kei cars. Customisation. Missions. Online Cruising. Lobbies.

I have no idea how Kaz would promote a rules of the road version. I have ideas of how I'd see such a game. With Kaz' mind, it could be anything.
Him using some features we had in past games:
- Upload your real life route, in some type of track creator
There could be some GT League type events like Mille Miglia and the Isle of Mann on public roads.

Time trials on using the shortest route to a destination, during wet conditions. I don't know what Kaz could dream up.

I understand such a game by PD might never ever happen. I won't lose sleep about it, but can't really say such a game by PD, wouldn't sell to casual players.
I don't know if it's a good thing, but I want it to be integrated on the main GT instead of being separate, as a bonus at least to try driving (obviously challenges like time trials can be added). Utilizing the abundance of everyday cars in the game (I mean, Forza Horizon didn't have all the cars in the game). At least it's not something ruled out by Kaz or PD: https://www.dualshockers.com/could-gran-turismo-7-on-ps4-be-open-world-like-forza-horizon-2/

PD have the data of how players played cops & speeders. We have the Hellcat Safety car, with highway patrol lights. A Toyota Crown that looks like a police car, given the right livery. I had created a livery for my Gr.4 M4, that resembled the Afrox BMW 3-series(I even added rear doors) race car. Someone could do the same for the M4 Safety car.

It's an add-on or Arcade Mode or side bar, whatever people want to call it, that's possible for PD to impliment. It's something that casual players, the ones that participate in those type lobbies, would embrace.

PD have the data of how players played cops & speeders. We have the Hellcat Safety car, with highway patrol lights. A Toyota Crown that looks like a police car, given the right livery. I had created a livery for my Gr.4 M4, that resembled the Afrox BMW 3-series(I even added rear doors) race car. Someone could do the same for the M4 Safety car.

It's an add-on or Arcade Mode or side bar, whatever people want to call it, that's possible for PD to impliment. It's something that casual players, the ones that participate in those type lobbies, would embrace.
Never experienced this part, but it seems that as players have done open world roleplay, do they drive in actual rules established there or if they don't, accept the punishments coming from the "polices" there? If they do that and roleplaying being something players like to do (a reason players want everyday cars), it seems contradictory to those that claim rule free roam as boring...

And for free roam to be implemented, I think actually polices like that (I know they had M4 Safety car, etc.) is the last thing that I would think for GT's, not even some other wild free roam games have polices, unlike NFS. Driving recklessly is bad, violating polices are even worse.

Never experienced this part, but it seems that as players have done open world roleplay, do they drive in actual rules established there or if they don't, accept the punishments coming from the "polices" there? If they do that and roleplaying being something players like to do (a reason players want everyday cars), it seems contradictory to those that claim rule free roam as boring...

And for free roam to be implemented, I think actually polices like that (I know they had M4 Safety car, etc.) is the last thing that I would think for GT's, not even some other wild free roam games have polices, unlike NFS. Driving recklessly is bad, violating polices are even worse.
Yes, those lobbies do ave rules. SOme rules are stated in the name of the room: "Cruising, xxmph speed limit or kick". Titles like that. Two-way traffic, etc. Courtesy is you get pulled over, wait a short time and continue driving around.

You've also got Show & Shine rooms to showoff liveries. The potential is there, with some the scape locations that have parking lots. If players could access the roads behind many of the ciruits and get into those parking lots, that'd be a win for players.

The long track in GT6, that had a long bridge, that was a circuit many used to meet and cruise for YouTube videos.

Last edited:
An open world Gran Turismo game would be so awesome!
Especially with GT SPORT'S physics engine. The physics in most if not all open world racing games are so unrealistic and annoying in my opinion.
Kazunori has said in the past that he wanted to add an open world mode in GT5 but for one reason or another PD couldn't do it with the PS3. An open world Gran Turismo game will probably never happen but it seems weird that they have put a lot of effort to create this map
Screenshot_20201024-112654~3.png

Last edited:
Yes, those lobbies do ave rules. SOme rules are stated in the name of the room: "Cruising, xxmph speed limit or kick".

These are the lobbies I look for, esp on road circuits. I miss Circuito de la Sierra from GT6, 17 miles of rolling golden hills, and staying on your side at the speed limit could be a challenge. It was really popular for this sort of thing.

As you say, it could easily be added in as a side mode and have a custom race setup for max speed, number of cops, driving on right/left side of the road etc

Casual players don't even want to do serious online racing with rules which is far more exciting than driving around slowly in a legal manner. It's just not going to appeal, the Forza Horizon games are popular and fun because they allow you to hoon it around a vaguely realistic world and go wild like you couldn't in the real world, driving cars you can't afford in the real world.

I mean I'm not denying some people do enjoy simulating real world safe driving but there is no evidence it would ever become mainstream popular.

Casual players don't even want to do serious online racing with rules which is far more exciting than driving around slowly in a legal manner. It's just not going to appeal, the Forza Horizon games are popular and fun because they allow you to hoon it around a vaguely realistic world and go wild like you couldn't in the real world, driving cars you can't afford in the real world.

I mean I'm not denying some people do enjoy simulating real world safe driving but there is no evidence it would ever become mainstream popular.
You are wrong. There are so many "realistic driving" lobbies in the game that are full every day (mostly at the Tokyo expressway and sardegnia or whatever it's called). There are always more cruising lobbies in the game than drag racing or even drifting lobbies. These are my favorite types of lobbies and I have spent so many hours driving realistically or playing as a cop

Last edited:
You are wrong. There are so many "realistic driving" lobbies in the game that are full every day (mostly at the Tokyo expressway and sardegnia or whatever it's called). There are always more cruising lobbies in the game than drag racing or even drifting lobbies. These are my favorite types of lobbies and I have spent so many hours driving realistically or playing as a cop

How many is so many? 50,000? Because that's how many there would need to be at least for it to even be close to being something popular in the mainstream for a game selling 10 million copies.

As I say, I'm not denying they exist and people enjoy it, you do you. But something that appeals to millions of people? I just don't see it.

Last edited:
How many is so many? 50,000? Because that's how many there would need to be at least for it to even be close to being something popular in the mainstream for a game selling 10 million copies.

As I say, I'm not denying they exist and people enjoy it, you do you. But something that appeals to millions of people? I just don't see it.
Yes I get it. I also think it wouldn't work as a separate game. It would be nice if it was just a mode in GT7. To me it seems like PD kind of cares about these lobbies because otherwise why would they add 3 safety cars in a single update? It's not like as if they are used anywhere else for other purposes

Last edited:

Thing is, how many of those are there in comparison to your usual racing rooms that are either GR.3, GR.2 or GR.1? From what I usually see, these race rooms (Especially GR.3) are still the most frequent rooms I see and seem to increase when there's a real world race at a certain track (Like Spa 24 this weekend) or when the FIA races feature that category that week.

People are into the cruising lobbies indeed and no one is saying they aren't, the point being made here is that just because there are many on GTS doesn't necessarily translate to a far wider audience outside of it.

Last edited:
Thing is, how many of those are there in comparison to your usual racing rooms that are either GR.3, GR.2 or GR.1? From what I usually see, these race rooms (Especially GR.3) are still the most frequent rooms I see and seem to increase when there's a real world race at a certain track (Like Spa 24 this weekend) or when the FIA races feature that category that week.

People are into the cruising lobbies indeed and no one is saying they aren't, the point being made here is that just because there are many on GTS doesn't necessarily translate to a far wider audience outside of it.
Likely because GTS doesn't have wide range of everyday cars such as GT5 or GT6. Those type of lobbies were far more common in those games iirc.

I hope this game will end up having a good and satisfying progression system. Too many racing games nowadays just shove super-cars down your throat because they are afraid of your attention span.

For all that is worth I hope I have to start the game in a used Daihatsu and have to actually plan and manage money before getting good cars. Best part of the old Gran Turismo Mode's IMO.

I feel like these people are a very specific age bracket. I play the "drive safely on real world roads" game every day to and from work. I don't need a Playstation and Gran Turismo to do it.

I feel like these people are a very specific age bracket. I play the "drive safely on real world roads" game every day to and from work. I don't need a Playstation and Gran Turismo to do it.

Indeed, in the same way I imagine those farming/train simulator type games aren't wildly popular with farmers/train drivers.

I hope this game will end up having a good and satisfying progression system. Too many racing games nowadays just shove super-cars down your throat because they are afraid of your attention span.

For all that is worth I hope I have to start the game in a used Daihatsu and have to actually plan and manage money before getting good cars. Best part of the old Gran Turismo Mode's IMO.
This

As long as the grind isn't too bad. If I'm mostly through the game, it's nice to be able to buy the expensive cars without too much time required. I think the really expensive cars should require at most 2 hours of playtime, and most "regular" supercars should easily be attainable in less than an hour.

Combine that with a way to earn money that doesn't feel too grindy (e.g. being able to set up your own events with a decent payout)

YES.

I played NFS Heat and I wasn't even so far in and I unlocked an i8 and a testarossa, few levels later, a 911

It annoyed me SOO much, but PD is PD so they won't go "HeRe Ya Go KiDs, A nIcE fErRaRi At LeVeL 5!!"

As long as the grind isn't too bad. If I'm mostly through the game, it's nice to be able to buy the expensive cars without too much time required. I think the really expensive cars should require at most 2 hours of playtime, and most "regular" supercars should easily be attainable in less than an hour.

Combine that with a way to earn money that doesn't feel too grindy (e.g. being able to set up your own events with a decent payout)

I see your point, most people do not have the time or patience to be grinding in videogames. The problem I feel is that when very expensive cars are easily attainable, they become kind of too cheap. Getting a new car doesn't feel as good, it's just another car to your already extremely long garage list. IDK, when everything's so close in my reach in a game I just lose interest.

I think a solution is to have an excellent built-in arcade mode in the game instead of the after-thought it generally is. It really is not that difficult as it sounds. Unlock cars, make your own events, conditions, have challenges and etc.. It caters to busy people and people that casually enjoy racing games. Arcade Mode should be linked with Multiplayer instead of Simulation also.

...And make Gran Turismo Mode more "CaRPG" and grindy, with choosing a car and planning your route to the pre-set events more of a big deal.

I see your point, most people do not have the time or patience to be grinding in videogames. The problem I feel is that when very expensive cars are easily attainable, they become kind of too cheap. Getting a new car doesn't feel as good, it's just another car to your already extremely long garage list. IDK, when everything's so close in my reach in a game I just lose interest.

I think a solution is to have an excellent built-in arcade mode in the game instead of the after-thought it generally is. It really is not that difficult as it sounds. Unlock cars, make your own events, conditions, have challenges and etc.. It caters to busy people and people that casually enjoy racing games. Arcade Mode should be linked with Multiplayer instead of Simulation also.

...And make Gran Turismo Mode more "CaRPG" and grindy, with choosing a car and planning your route to the pre-set events more of a big deal.
Grinding is poor game design. When you reach the latter stages of the career, which is what the challenge should be, the more expensive cars should be relatively attainable to that stage of the game.

No one is saying you should be able to afford the best cars within the first 2 hours of playing. By the time you've already sunk the hours in to getting to the point in the career where the races use those cars, they shouldn't require the chore of a grind to obtain.

There should be plenty of events and races, and if the game were designed perfectly, winning everything once would unlock and allow you to afford every car.

Last edited:

Latest Posts

Back