Gran Turismo 7 Rumored as PlayStation 5 Launch Title

It's the same engine with better lighting, better texture, better reflection, etc.
I really don’t get peoples point... Like who cares if it looks like GTS.. GTS is already the best looking racing game on a console... I can only see GT7 looking more polished in which some users already posted comparison videos that prove the point.

I really don’t get peoples point... Like who cares if it looks like GTS.. GTS is already the best looking racing game on a console... I can only see GT7 looking more polished in which some users already posted comparison videos that prove the point.
In fact, they chose the worst car(and maybe the worst camera) to show off ray tracing. I wonder how it looks with some reflective materials in the interior.

The point is PD will be releasing GT7 for PS5. Yes, GTS is already the best looking racing game, on PS4. This is their justification for people to buy a PS5 for, what, 600€/$?

I know that PD can do much better than this, and I’m sure GT7 will look much better than what they showed with this GTS gameplay, with Trial Mountain and ray-traced reflections.
It's the same engine with better lighting, better texture, better reflection, etc.
Looked like the same game to me from what I saw so far.

It didn't have a 2020 Holiday listing at the end of the trailer like Spider Man had. This is definitely a 2021+ game, and I'm glad. Hope Polyphony take their time to optimize and polish it up after seeing how close that gameplay footage looked to PS4 GTsport.
Spider-Man isn’t a launch game so why is that relevant? At least 3-4 of those Sony 1st Party games will be launch titles. None of which have yet been dated. That will come alongside PS5’s launch date.

The point is PD will be releasing GT7 for PS5. Yes, GTS is already the best looking racing game, on PS4. This is their justification for people to buy a PS5 for, what, 600€/$?

I know that PD can do much better than this, and I’m sure GT7 will look much better than what they showed with this GTS gameplay, with Trial Mountain and ray-traced reflections.

Looked like the same game to me from what I saw so far.
Back-to-back there is a significant difference in the realism of GT7 vs GTS. Alongside 4K/60, possible dynamic lighting/weather, and a fully fledged single-player campaign. That’s a pretty compelling reason to buy a PS5 (alongside other games).

In any marketing campaign you tease and hint at features and selling points. The first hit was the return of Trial Mountain and the single-player campaign. We’ll have to see what’s to come. As there’s no doubt GT7 will have a massive marketing campaign. Playing a much more prominent role in PS5’s launch.

Last edited:
Spider-Man isn’t a launch game so why is that relevant? At least 3-4 of those Sony 1st Party games will be launch titles. None of which have yet been dated. That will come alongside PS5’s launch date.

Back-to-back there is a significant difference in the realism of GT7 vs GTS. Alongside 4K/60, possible dynamic lighting/weather, and a fully fledged single-player campaign. That’s a pretty compelling reason to buy a PS5 (alongside other games).

In any marketing campaign you tease and hint at features and selling points. The first hit was the return of Trial Mountain and the single-player campaign. We’ll have to see what’s to come. As there’s no doubt GT7 will have a massive marketing campaign. Playing a much more prominent role in PS5’s launch.
My point exactly thank you for explaining...

Yeah about that gif with moving clouds that you made, you can clearly see that shadows are still. They don’t move and it doesn’t make sense to make assumptions about dynamic ToD, based on that. Dynamic weather? Maybe.

It didn't have a 2020 Holiday listing at the end of the trailer like Spider Man had. This is definitely a 2021+ game, and I'm glad. Hope Polyphony take their time to optimize and polish it up after seeing how close that gameplay footage looked to PS4 GTsport.
If they were to create everything from scratch again, we would have a new "GT Sport" in terms of content. As I understand it, they kept the same graphics engine (with improvements, of course) to deliver a robust GT7 the way fans wanted it. So they can deliver the game close to the PS5 launch.

Last edited:

You can't have your cake and eat it too. They have created an incredibly solid foundation to build this game off of by building GTS to what it is, knowing it was going to be the base for the next title to get us by. If we didn't have GTS, and this game looked like this, how would you feel about it? There should not be a significant leap in production from GTS to GT7, especially in a shortened development span from GTS.

In addition to that with something to think about, as GTS was basically a Prologue, the time between GT4 to GT5 was 6 years, and from GT6 to GT7 will be 7 years this fall. So it's probably more likely to be this holiday, pending any delays.

Last edited:

Yeeeeaaah, I think people are severely underestimating GT7's graphics here. The big one is the track lighting. It stands out way more than GTS's dim track lighting, and is also on par with Forza Horizon 4's lighting.

Like, I was just playing through GTS last night, and I kept on noticing that the lighting on various tracks, when the sun is high up in the sky, is rather dim in comparison to both GT7 and FH4, as that video will show. Even in HDR, it's still dim, only the cars themselves stand out. =/

Spiderman actually is a launch game, releasing Holiday 2020, that is shown at the end of the trailer. Sony confirmed PS5 is releasing Holiday 2020. GT7 had no "2020" date along with other games, which hints at a 2021+ launch window release, and would make sense considering Sony will want to spread out their first party releases. This just means PD will have more time to polish up the game. That's not a bad thing.

Back-to-back there is a significant difference in the realism of GT7 vs GTS.

If you have to compare back-to-back, then it is not significant. The difference is actually minuscule comparing back-to-back. It's the same PS4 assets and quality being re-used, with spinning 2D trees that exhibit shadow LOD pop-in. Track texture detail, rocks, vegetation, NPCs are the same quality as GTSport despite the massive power difference between generations. This is just the result of PD trying to do everything in-house and not getting outsourcing help for the environment assets. It was the same issue seen with GT5 having to reuse PS2 assets, and the reason for GTSport having mixed looking tracks where stuff like Alsace look PS3 era while Nurburgring looked great despite the low track count after 4 years of development.

gt704.jpg

7c6GranTurismoSPORT2020.png

gt7tree2gvk28.png

Meanwhile, Playground Games is the same size as Polyphony, is able to create a large variety of fully 3D vegetation that sway in the wind, and smartly used imposter 2D LOD models for the far off vegetation that eventually switch to the 3D counterpart to save on resources, all the while having voxel GI with dynamic lighting and weather, 4 different seasons each drastically changing the environment assets, and runs at a locked 60fps on One X. Polyphony will eventually get left behind again, either in quantity, or consistent quality.

Forza Horizon 4 current-gen. This isn't even photomode, it's from the drone you can fly around the whole environment in real-time.
DoXG2ppVAAA212E

Eae18flXgAEqOPm

This deserves unlimited likes because it’s the straight up truth. And I also agree with the second part to that as well.

This deserves unlimited likes because it’s the straight up truth. And I also agree with the second part to that as well.
You clearly haven't seen the screenshots above

Spiderman actually is a launch game, releasing Holiday 2020, that is shown at the end of the trailer. Sony confirmed PS5 is releasing Holiday 2020. GT7 had no "2020" date along with other games, which hints at a 2021+ launch window release, and would make sense considering Sony will want to spread out their first party releases. This just means PD will have more time to polish up the game. That's not a bad thing.

If you have to compare back-to-back, then it is not significant. The difference is actually minuscule comparing back-to-back. It's the same PS4 assets and quality being re-used, with spinning 2D trees that exhibit shadow LOD pop-in. Track texture detail, rocks, vegetation, NPCs are the same quality as GTSport despite the massive power difference between generations. This is just the result of PD trying to do everything in-house and not getting outsourcing help for the environment assets. It was the same issue seen with GT5 having to reuse PS2 assets, and the reason for GTSport having mixed looking tracks where stuff like Alsace look PS3 era while Nurburgring looked great despite the low track count after 4 years of development.

gt704.jpg

gt7tree2gvk28.png

Meanwhile, Playground Games is the same size as Polyphony, is able to create a large variety of fully 3D vegetation that sway in the wind, and smartly used imposter 2D LOD models for the far off vegetation that eventually switch to the 3D counterpart to save on resources, all the while having voxel GI with dynamic lighting and weather, 4 different seasons each drastically changing the environment assets, and runs at a locked 60fps on One X. Polyphony will eventually get left behind again, either in quantity, or consistent quality.

Forza Horizon 4 current-gen. This isn't even photomode, it's from the drone you can fly around the whole environment in real-time.
DoXG2ppVAAA212E

Eae18flXgAEqOPm
I really hope someone at PD will see this post

Last edited by a moderator:
I really hope someone at PD will see this post
The problem is... can PD read this? :sly: They're Japanese, though they probably can get translators to translate what you all have written. Probably that's the reason why PD is so detached from fans, and only gets to know after Kaz starts Gran Touring the world.

The problem is... can PD read this? :sly: They're Japanese, though they probably can get translators to translate what you all have written. Probably that's the reason why PD is so detached from fans, and only gets to know after Kaz starts Gran Touring the world.
I thought thats what translator-san was for.:lol:

Can't they just get someone who can translate the feedbacks from the comunity and pass them to the team?

gt704.jpg

gt7tree2gvk28.png

DoXG2ppVAAA212E

Eae18flXgAEqOPm
The early build of GTSport also used assets from GT6 even the car sounds. It's too early to judge at this point, imo. I'd probably wait to see the final product before judging it.

Stop pretending it doesn’t look like GTS...
i hate to admit it... but it looks alot more like GTS than it doesn't. GT Sport with Raytracing is not enough of a next gen upgrade. PD honestly seem to have all the limitations of using a HDD... embarrassingly so considering theres major pop up of textures.. and the textures are very much assets from GT GT Sport. Color me disappointed.
I hope they update their engine, GT 7 was honestly the least impressive game on show.. maybe it was my expectations.. but honestly, I've never been disappointed by GT graphics from 1-Sport.. but this isn't looking good at all. Especially after playing Sport in 4K.. it doesn't look better by much.

Last edited:

gt704.jpg

gt7tree2gvk28.png

DoXG2ppVAAA212E

Eae18flXgAEqOPm
What happened to Poly? Tracks used to look awesome. From city tracks to race tracks, they were all so beautiful. Trial Mountain in GT3 was simply amazing with its gorgeous lighting and tunnel trees.
And I agree with you, I think Playground Games is the most talented studio today for car games. I can't believe my old xb1 can render a game that beautiful.

I don't understand whats up with PD... the writing is on the wall.. but their priorities dont line up with common sense. I don't know what to think anymore. I honestly expected (realistically) GT Sports photo model type graphics (al least), yet... we don't even have that.

gt704.jpg

gt7tree2gvk28.png

DoXG2ppVAAA212E

Eae18flXgAEqOPm
Spider-Man is very specifically labelled Holiday 2020 because it is coming after launch. But before Christmas. The launch titles haven’t been dated yet. A number of which were in the PS5 showcase.

Back-to-back comparisons are relevant. I never played any PS3 era GT and thought it looked poor. That was until you compare it to GTS. Likewise, I’ve always thought GTS and it’s lighting was exemplary. That was until you put it up against GT7 where it looks flat and lifeless.

Track, grass and rock texture quality in GT7 is not the same as GTS across the board. Of course there is some replication, with the same low quality, screenshot posted over and over again. But as pointed out in numerous threads. If you go through the trailer, even with YouTube compression, there is plenty of high resolution texture work you would not see in GTS. The Trial Mountain grass section with the track name is a great example. Very high resolution texture work. Looks photorealistic.

GTS is already very close to true photorealism with it cars and tracks. Particularly in motion and in replays. The last missing element is the lighting. Both Ray Tracing and dynamic lighting/weather. Texture work, effects, particles and what have you are part of the final polishing phase.

I don't understand whats up with PD... the writing is on the wall.. but their priorities dont line up with common sense. I don't know what to think anymore. I honestly expected (realistically) GT Sports photo model type graphics (al least), yet... we don't even have that.
Photomode model graphics is entirely down to LoD. From the trailer I didn’t see much, if any, of the LoD changing on the fly. This alone will be a significant improvement. Driving games are plagued with cars switching to low quality models the moment they get a few meters ahead of you.

Last edited:
Spider-Man is very specifically labelled Holiday 2020 because it is coming after launch. But before Christmas. The launch titles haven’t been dated yet. A number of which were in the PS5 showcase.

Back-to-back comparisons are relevant. I never played any PS3 era GT and thought it looked poor. That was until you compare it to GTS. Likewise, I’ve always thought GTS and it’s lighting was exemplary. That was until you put it up against GT7 where it looks flat and lifeless.

Track, grass and rock texture quality in GT7 is not the same as GTS across the board. Of course there is some replication, with the same low quality, screenshot posted over and over again. But as pointed out in numerous threads. If you go through the trailer, even with YouTube compression, there is plenty of high resolution texture work you would not see in GTS. The Trial Mountain grass section with the track name is a great example. Very high resolution texture work. Looks photorealistic.

GTS is already very close to true photorealism with it cars and tracks. Particularly in motion and in replays. The last missing element is the lighting. Both Ray Tracing and dynamic lighting/weather. Texture work, effects, particles and what have you are part of the final polishing phase.

Photomode model graphics is entirely down to LoD. From the trailer I didn’t see much, if any, of the LoD changing on the fly. This alone will be a significant improvement. Driving games are plagued with cars switching to low quality models the moment they get a few meters ahead of you.
I didn't feel the reflections were bouncing off the cars as accurately as the photo models, over and above that .. the tracks had various LOD "problems" .. which I find weird given what was demo'd in the UE5 demo.

Back