Gran Turismo 7 - Season Pass implementation

• Thread starter Razamataz
  • 92 comments

Should Gran Turismo embrace a season pass model?

• Yes

Votes: 12 5.9%
  • No

Votes: 192 94.1%

• Total voters
United Kingdom
London
azzabry86
A recent trend in video games is the rise of the season pass, seeing many traditional franchises opt for a “games as a service” model. Think Destiny or Forza Horizon 4.

Over the course of GT Sport’s life the title received numerous monthly updates, that in a way sort of resembled the season pass model. However IMO this was were merely the developer adding in majority remastered content from the PS3 era that ideally should have been present from the start. I’m talking about GT League, tracks and the vast number of road cars that contrasted with their competition counterparts as per the original esports focus of Sport mode . I imagine time was a massive issue in developing next generation assets for the PS4, hence the threadbare car and track roster at the beginning of GT Sport’s initial release. Concentrating on vehicle rosters for groups 1, 3 and 4 for Sport mode made for a convenient excuse that sidestepped this issue.

I think a season pass would force PD to up there game with the community and see a notable improvement in the quality and quantity of future DLC. Perhaps a two tiered model that would see paid subscribers receiving premium content quicker (think Destiny 2) versus grinding for it. For example the 20 million cars could be claimed immediately if you’ve paid for the season pass versus a grind or challenging event for those that didn’t.

Personally I’d like to see GT7 embrace this new dynamic. What are the community’s thoughts and how best could this feature be implemented?

Gran Turismo 7 - Season Pass
giphy.gif

Season passes are enough of a demon spawn when it's (wannabe-)AAA third-party publishers whose CEOs have already insulated all their seven summer homes in the Cayman Islands with dollah billz and have now decided that the best way they can look their shareholders in the eyes and say "yes, our profits are up again this year" while with the back of their hand sending a statement to any news outlets desperate enough for clicks that "no, our games aren't political, that very deliberate use of BLM symbolism being used for an underground terrorist organisation was an honest mistake and also we don't have a company history of covering for rapists" is by firing the people they put through literal hell to make the games that enable their coke and hookers addiction to begin with.

It's concerning enough that so relatively many first-party games have already jumped on the multiple-special-editions bandwagon. It seems in-game monetisation is a more slippery slope than gay marriage has ever been.

Let's also not pretend that PS Plus is anything but Sony's very own season pass. So there.

Last edited:
I wouldn't be surprised if there is a season pass. The so-called "AAA" industry is already enough of a 🤬 heap.

Also Kaz has a history of going back on alleged 'promises' e.g. saying GTS wouldn't have MTs yet further down the line they put MTs in the game.

Season passes are enough of a demon spawn when it's (wannabe-)AAA third-party publishers whose CEOs have already insulated all their seven summer homes in the Cayman Islands with dollah billz and have now decided that the best way they can look their shareholders in the eyes and say "yes, our profits are up again this year" while with the back of their hand sending a statement to any news outlets desperate enough for clicks that "no, our games aren't political, that very deliberate use of BLM symbolism being used for an underground terrorist organisation was an honest mistake and also we don't have a company history of covering for rapists" is by firing the people they put through literal hell to make the games that enable their coke and hookers addiction to begin with.

It's concerning enough that so relatively many first-party games have already jumped on the multiple-special-editions bandwagon. It seems in-game monetisation is a more slippery slope than gay marriage has ever been.

Let's also not pretend that PS Plus is anything but Sony's very own season pass. So there.

...WHAT

How do you bring up the BLM movement in a thread that’s talking about adding a season pass to a racing game like what’s the correlation here

The so-called "AAA" industry is already enough of a 🤬 heap.

Then don’t buy them. Job done!

This ain't it, chief.

That was VERY specific. You okay there, buddy?

How do you bring up the BLM movement in a thread that’s talking about adding a season pass to a racing game like what’s the correlation here

This ain't it, chief.

If reminding people of some of the highlights of AAA-video-game-industry :censored:ery that's been going on for years but people have willingly pushed aside because "iT's jUsT gAmEs" in a thread asking if a very prominent (and time-honored) example of AAA-:censored:ery should find its way into first-party games is wrong, then I'm fine with being every bit the hyper-sarcastic-and-slightly-alarmist cliché this brings out in me.

That was VERY specific. You okay there, buddy?

Arguably better than ever.

Pre-GTS I would've said "yes, but barely", in hopes that we'd get content out faster. Time = money, right? But with GTS, their system of releasing new content was pretty dope and reliable. So I can't see paying more when I know what I could get again for free.

Jerome

I wouldn't be surprised if there is a season pass. The so-called "AAA" industry is already enough of a 🤬 heap.

Also Kaz has a history of going back on alleged 'promises' e.g. saying GTS wouldn't have MTs yet further down the line they put MTs in the game.
Yeah but the MTs aren't exactly shoved in your face with GTS. You can even toggle them off in the options. The current model of MTs is actually good because those that don't want it can turn it off and those that do want it still have the option. You aren't forced to use MTs to get the best out of the game experience.

A season pass would change all that and make so if you want the best experience you'd have no choice but to fork over extra money for it. I'm against a season pass model and would prefer the current MT model be retained.

Last edited:
Yeah but the MTs aren't exactly shoved in your face with GTS. You can even toggle them off in the options. The current model of MTs is actually good because those that don't want it can turn it off and those that do want it still have the option. You aren't forced to use MTs to get the best out of the game experience.

A season pass would change all that and make so if you want the best experience you'd have no choice but to fork over extra money for it. I'm against a season pass model and would prefer the current MT model be retained.
Just because the MTs were implemented better than most other games shouldn't be an excuse for a free pass.

Lax attitudes like this whole "oH bUt ItS oPtIoNaL" malarkey are the reason why monetization in mainstream games is so out of control, especially since many titles on next gen are gonna cost upwards of $70.

Maybe instead of being based and redpilled you should take a chillpill

I say no, season passes and special/deluxe editions have fast become the norm, but that doesn't mean that aren't exploitative and if people voted with thier walets they would soon become a thing of the past.

I don't mind paying for decent post launch content, but I dislike what often happens where content is held back or purposefully delayed purely to be included as paid DLC/part of a season pass.

There's no need for a game to come out and have new content a few weeks later, if the game is good and has been designed well enough there is simply no need for it. Free DLC to provide contant that didn't quite make the game going gold is fine, but charging for content you held back is not.

Of course not all paid DLC is content that was held back, but games are certainly not cheap and the season pass/deluxe editions promote exploitation IMO. That's not to say all post launch content should be free, but it can be reasonably priced and shouldn't need a season pass or include contant that comes out a matter of weeks post launch.

Last edited:
Not that I'm for it, but if GT7 is going to to be around for the entire life cycle of PS5, why not? There's no need for GT8 during PS5. Such a game would look the same on the same system.

What PD could work on for a second game on the same system, can easily be added to GT7. We'd probably see a large car&track count, before the next system is brought out.

Most of GT Sport’s DLC should have been in the game from day 1. Due to time constraints and PD’s meticulous quality standards it wasn’t. That’s why I think we were never charged for it. Granted there was some new stuff but let’s face it the car roster was still pretty dated.

Looking forward, GT7 had a huge amount of assets to work with considering the state GT Sport is in right now.

Granted I’d rather have DLC for free (who wouldn’t?), but if it means we get genuinely more newer content not to mention refreshing the campaign every now and then, well I’m all for it.

Just remember how woeful the DLC program was back in the PS3 days, I’m just concerned that could happen again.

Or would you rather pay £70 (or equivalent) for a new GT title a few years down the line? The big question is... should GT be run as a games a service?

Sorry but if I'm buying a full-priced, mostly singleplayer game then I don't wanna pay for extra cars and tracks. If GT7 would be an online focused live service game, then I would say idc this topic, also still wouldn't buy season passes. Its just awful to see how other franchises are doing it.

There was no season pass for Sport so why would they even consider one for 7?

Monetary transactions were not popular in 6 and I for one have never used the store to buy a car in Sport, I learnt my lesson from Rockstar Grand Theft Auto V.

I will never pay for Season Pass or DLC content unless it's a starter item included in the actual game I buy.

EDIT: 43 No votes to 2 Yes in the poll shows how popular a season pass would be...

Last edited:
I really really hope that PD sticks to the GT Sport format, with regular free updates. But I'm not kidding anyone, if they release paid DLC I'll buy :nervous:

Honestly im ok with some payed dlc here and there (example an Initial D themed dlc with some touges and cars from the series), we can't expect from them giving half of the game for free like they've done with GTS

Last edited:
Back