Gran Turismo 7 - Season Pass implementation

• Thread starter Razamataz
  • 92 comments

Should Gran Turismo embrace a season pass model?

• Yes

Votes: 12 5.9%
  • No

Votes: 192 94.1%

• Total voters
I remember seeing something on GTPlanet where Kaz said that in the future they would retain the update system of GT Sport where cars/content is added as and when it's ready, akin to a streaming service. If someone could link that, that would be great :)

Not surprised the idea of paid for additional content has proved OVERWHELMINGLY unpopular. My point was that faced with the prospect of getting little to no DLC, at least a season pass would encourage PD to deliver regular updates to the game and keep it fresh. Put it this way, two years into the life cycle of GT7 would you rather have zero additional content or at least something new, regularly, at a cost?

Look at GT Sport, I’d gladly pay $10 right now for a few new tracks and a dozen odd cars four years on from its launch. The point of paying for new content is to incentivize support. We’ve no right to expect developers to add free content, only in the exception when the game is obviously unfinished, as was the case with GT Sport. Can you imagine if PD charged for the DLC content we got with GT Sport, they’d have been slaughtered by the community for what was essentially mostly remastered assets.

As much as I’d like to see PD continue to give us free updates, let’s be honest we were spoiled with additional content for GT Sport. Content again might I add that should have been in the game from day 1.

I did mention Forza Horizon 4 as another example as well. What I like about Playground’s approach is that it’s always regular, often featuring new content and the chance to obtain unicorns without too much difficult. It’s also FREE! More a seasonal update than a season pass but nonetheless it’s great to see a 2 year old game still getting consistent updates.

There are many things I really don't like about Sport, but one of the few good things it has done for me is to solidify my faith in PD in how they handle DLC.

I agree with the argument that we "deserve" the free DLC because the base game is so barebones to the point where it felt incomplete. I think Sport was sold with the promise of a consistent stream of free content. But what little has been put up on sale, I really liked their implementation: Sport being a competition focused title and not an RPG, we were given an option to buy most cars with real money to skip the grind and get right down to the competition. I really appreciate how we can even turn off the option to pay with real money from appearing at all in the Options menu. The impression I get in the OP is that there should be a season pass where players can get exorbitantly expensive cars quick and easy, but I feel that that's more a problem with GT Sport's current economy that's more easily solved within the confines of adjusting in game payout rates than involving the sensitive and controversial DLC. Heck, I don't even know why we aren't allowed to buy the unicorn cars with real money; you'd think a system like this would be used mainly for these horrifically expensive cars.

In terms of car and track DLC, the quality of both have been astounding, and I daresay GT Sport has the most accurate models of any modern video game. They truly cut no corners, and the models are supposedly future proofed, cut in poly count for the PS4. Seeing this quality in the cars, and with the recent Spa and Glickenhaus licensing debacle, I almost feel guilty for receiving all this for free, even if the game in which most of these cars are used treats them like garbage.

That all said, I'm still going to vote "No" for paid DLC. PD has been historically proven to have horrible communication to their fanbase, and I feel that to sell DLC in a game, the devs or a representative needs to communicate with the player base to explain how it works, why it's there, and why we should pay for it. Invariably, the question of "why isn't this content free", and "has this been withheld to be paid DLC from the main game?" will arise. Can you imagine if PD sold us new DLC for Sport, like a 0-400m acceleration test from previous games? It'd be eye watering new content, yes, but it's a feature so basic you'd wonder why it wasn't in the game to begin with. PD just strikes me as that sort of oddball company, and I don't think it can handle the communication aspect of selling DLC well. And honestly, if I were the developer and tried to rectify the omission of an acceleration test, I wouldn't want to come under fire from the mostly unappreciative fanbase. I would want to make content for such a fanbase if subject to that kind of abuse (see: every GT7 thread that has devolved into an off topic toxic poop slinging storm).

While I do very much want to pay for new cars and tracks in Sport, I do appreciate that everyone who has the game is on an level playing field; a very basic requirement of a competition focused title. Can you imagine if Spa and/ or a Fugu Z popped up in an FIA race, but you can't practice for it if you didn't buy the car and/ or track? Or if a DLC exclusive car happens to be the meta car? Even if GT7 claims to be a more traditional title focused on Single Player, a level playing field makes it more of a traditional game to me. Personally, I can only see DLC working is in aftermarket parts, paints, or wheels in the livery editor.

Lastly, while I'm also very much for paying for new content to incentivise creating new content for the game post launch, we need to have a lot of faith in the developers. I'm apprehensive about paid DLC as a whole for video games, not just GT7. The one big example I will cite for this is GTA V: GTA Online generates so much revenue for Rockstar, and supposedly has such a bigger return in investment, they'd rather keep pumping out new content for GTA O rather than to make a GTA VI, when GTA V is seven years old at this point. There was even supposedly DLC for single player that wound up being scrapped and repurposed for Online. I don't want to see GT7 set a new trend where such practices start and are tolerated. And I don't trust any big company, or its fanbase for that matter, to not support such practices.

I just don't think either PD, or gamers as a whole, are prepared for paid DLC.

tl;dr: No. Hell no.

I think it'd upset the balance too much. The only alternative that I see is that the cars are too unique to be competitive in any way, or are otherwise barred from online, and I feel like that'd sort of defeat the point. I really like what GTS did - you can get everything without paying anything other than the game's price, but there are options to buy content with real money if you're especially impatient.

palp.jpg

No. If someone doesn't have the time because of obligations or is just too lazy to work towards the new update car, put it in the shop for $5. Bam, everybody's happy. The people who don't want to be bothered with MTX can just toggle them off completely, and the folks who want to continue supporting PD monetarily even post-purchase then have the option to do so. It's a win/win for all parties, whereas a Season Pass is just shady. I don't know about you, but I'd rather know exactly what I'm spending my money on rather than a promise of undefined content.

Plus isn't $70, even $80 in some countries, enough already for a videogame? That's not a number to sneeze at, considering the cost of literally everything else is rising substantially.

Last edited:
My point was that faced with the prospect of getting little to no DLC, at least a season pass would encourage PD to deliver regular updates to the game and keep it fresh.
You'd think that the idea of selling content to players for money would be enought to encourage PD to deliver regular updates, but apparently these days pre-order culture even makes it's way into microtransactions in the form of season passes.

They should just make content and put it up for sale. If it's good and good value, people will buy it. Enough of this foisting the risk off onto the consumer to pay for things before they've even seen what they're getting.

Time is money, being that I have a family and many other responsibilities now (full time job, two small businesses), I'd pay some cash so I don't have to waste my time grinding for 20mil. cars and dedicate my time elsewhere. That being said, if it doesn't happen, no bigs, I'll just grab some rubberbands and cough drops and grind for credits while I sleep.

Jerome

I just honestly hope for GT7, Polyphony would have a more aggressive long-term post-launch support strategy that is derived from the same system as GT Sport: where they all come in free updates, except why not ramp up the release of new cars and tracks (for which Polyphony are able to provide us)? I know it takes time to create cars and tracks for the game, but of course this will keep us going on in the long run for the next three to four years before a potential GT8.

I still remember a time where Kaz said that GT Sport would eventually have up to 500+ cars at the end of its lifetime; this goal was never met, and the projected target of "over 420+" cars for GT7 might have been in place just to get us looking forward to more.

After all, the earliest updates of GT Sport had more volume than an expansion in Forza (an expansion in Forza features new tracks and more cars than a single car pack).

Most of GT Sport’s DLC should have been in the game from day 1. Due to time constraints and PD’s meticulous quality standards it wasn’t. That’s why I think we were never charged for it. Granted there was some new stuff but let’s face it the car roster was still pretty dated.

Looking forward, GT7 had a huge amount of assets to work with considering the state GT Sport is in right now.

Granted I’d rather have DLC for free (who wouldn’t?), but if it means we get genuinely more newer content not to mention refreshing the campaign every now and then, well I’m all for it.

Just remember how woeful the DLC program was back in the PS3 days, I’m just concerned that could happen again.

Or would you rather pay £70 (or equivalent) for a new GT title a few years down the line? The big question is... should GT be run as a games a service?
I don't like how your brain works.

Would also depend what collaborations and partnerships come up next/near future. FIA Sport Mode stuff and Time Trials similar to the Olympics & Red Bull TTs, special content like the LHTT and events like the Livery editor competition, etc.

Might be a whole lot coming in 4-5 years. Especially when the PS5s become stocked on shelves.

GT7 2.0 might be pretty special. ;)

Last edited:
I don't like how your brain works.
What would you rather do? Pay money for new content or watch the game become stale and wait god knows how many years till GT8 comes out.

Folks are kidding themselves if they expect GT Sport levels of free DLC with GT7. Ain't happening this time around. Like I said, GT Sport was laughably thin on content when it was released and the developers knew it. The eSports angle was attractive enough to distract folks at launch that they were getting a threadbare Gran Turismo experience (hence why a lot of long term fans were dissapointed with the lack of a proper career mode). As a simulator sure it's fantastic, but as "a game" with a fully fledged campaign it was by far the worst entry in the series. The sustained DLC program was in place purely to rectify that wrong.

Believe you me I would love to be proved wrong on this. I'm basing my assumptions on the DLC history with GT5 and GT6.

What would you rather do? Pay money for new content or watch the game become stale and wait god knows how many years till GT8 comes out.

Folks are kidding themselves if they expect GT Sport levels of free DLC with GT7. Ain't happening this time around. Like I said, GT Sport was laughably thin on content when it was released and the developers knew it. The eSports angle was attractive enough to distract folks at launch that they were getting a threadbare Gran Turismo experience (hence why a lot of long term fans were dissapointed with the lack of a proper career mode). As a simulator sure it's fantastic, but as "a game" with a fully fledged campaign it was by far the worst entry in the series. The sustained DLC program was in place purely to rectify that wrong.

Believe you me I would love to be proved wrong on this. I'm basing my assumptions on the DLC history with GT5 and GT6.
Why are you basing assumptions on anything? Why not just keep quiet and hope for the best instead of literally begging PD to take your money?

I mean, you say you’d gladly pay for more tracks in GT Sport right now. That to me sounds crazy, and plain stupid to be honest. Why on earth would you pay for content in a 4 year old game that’ve already had tons of content added for free, when GT7 is just around the corner?

You have to be the most anti-consumer consumer I’ve ever encountered.

The preorders are up, and have been for a while, I'm happily paying the mad sum of $155 for the content in Gran Turismo 7 (in a shiny case) at launch, and for updates for the next 2+ years.

If there was going to be a season pass, we should've been informed a long time ago, and it would've been included with the Anniversary Edition.

I've bought season passes for a few games such as Driveclub and Project Cars to save some money on DLC. I never had a problem with it so I won't complain if GT7 gets one. I'm not saying that free content is bad and I'd like it to continue if possible, but I would happily pay for a season pass if I had to.

Why are you basing assumptions on anything? Why not just keep quiet and hope for the best instead of literally begging PD to take your money?
So what you're saying is I should keep quiet and never suggest the idea of paid DLC in case Polyphony reads this forum?
I mean, you say you’d gladly pay for more tracks in GT Sport right now. That to me sounds crazy, and plain stupid to be honest. Why on earth would you pay for content in a 4 year old game that’ve already had tons of content added for free, when GT7 is just around the corner?
I might have said I'd pay for new DLC for GT Sport back in November 2020 but not so much now. Might want to check the date pal.
You have to be the most anti-consumer consumer I’ve ever encountered.
My 12 years in retail would suggest otherwise. I just don't expect people to work for free and would rather incentivise the development of new content than have nothing at all.

Fact is, it's a pretty entitled opinion to expect a developer to deliver free amounts amounts of data as DLC. I'm a realist, not naive.
I've bought season passes for a few games such as Driveclub and Project Cars to save some money on DLC.
Season pass for Drive Club was incredible value for money and a perfect example of how to do one. Such an underrated game and a damn shame what happened to Evolution Studios.

The difference with Project Cars for me, replayability is high. Even if I didn't buy the Season Pass, so much can be done in the game, it's pretty much endless combos as a solo player.
A Season Pass is only as good as the tools provided for players.

You should probably look up the DLC history of GT5 and 6. There was heaps of it, and most of it was free. Now, whether you count content added to patch over bad design decisions, make up to players for initially bug ridden releases and just straight up add features that were advertised as available at release is debatable. Just like GT Sport, most of it should have been in the game day 1. But there was a lot of stuff there, and that's been consistent through the entire online patchable era for Gran Turismo.

Now if we're looking at history, what do you reckon the chances are that GT7 releases missing a bunch of stuff that then gets patched in over the next couple of years? If that happens again, it absolutely should be free.

As I’ve said before I think the whole Season Pass model is very clever, but anti-consumer. There are decent season passes out there, but how often do we see a month 1 pack with content that could easily have made launch? Forza is terrible for cutting cars from game to game and them re-selling them to you as DLC. Paying for content not released, packs where you don’t even know what will be included is not good.

I dont think all DLC should be free, but it should never be deliberately held back content or key game features. We got a tonne of free DLC with GT Sport, we could get that again, but I wouldn’t feel its unwarranted for cars and tracks to be charged for.

With GT Sport I think a lot of people ended up buying the game as a result of its free DLC, myself included, so there is that angle too. However with GT Sport being a smaller more niche game at launch, it’s maybe not the most reliable template.

So what you're saying is I should keep quiet and never suggest the idea of paid DLC in case Polyphony reads this forum?
I'm saying you don't ever suggest paid DLC anywhere, for any game, unless you're a greedy developer yourself. Suggest DLC all you want, but not paid.
I might have said I'd pay for new DLC for GT Sport back in November 2020 but not so much now. Might want to check the date pal.
Oops, sorry. But even so, I don't get why you were begging to pay for something they'd already given us for free in the past?
My 12 years in retail would suggest otherwise. I just don't expect people to work for free and would rather incentivise the development of new content than have nothing at all.

Fact is, it's a pretty entitled opinion to expect a developer to deliver free amounts amounts of data as DLC. I'm a realist, not naive.
Your 12 years in retail would suggest that you're nothing but a salesman and definitely anti-consumer.

Oh you're naive alright, but in a weird way. It's almost as if you're brainwashed into thinking the vast majority of gamers are happy to pay for additional content. Besides, what's so unrealistic about PD giving us free additional content in GT7? 'Free' is not the right word for it anyway. It's rather 'at no additional cost' because we're paying for the game, which should be plenty enough.

I don't think Polyphony are reckless enough to complete erode it's fanbase via going down the Season Pass/G.A.A.S monetisation route. Unless they want to completely destroy their active user numbers like Destiny 2 has.

Splitting the player base with paid dlc is a pretty crap idea tbh, tons of developers are moving away from doing that for a reason.

Imagine not being able to do a daily or fia race because you didn’t pay for the track? Or they could do the opposite like Turn 10 and not include the track in the rotation at all. Both are equally bad.

Last edited:
Not that I'm for it, but if GT7 is going to to be around for the entire life cycle of PS5, why not? There's no need for GT8 during PS5. Such a game would look the same on the same system.

What PD could work on for a second game on the same system, can easily be added to GT7. We'd probably see a large car&track count, before the next system is brought out.
Oh I hope and pray your comment will age well!!! also

I'm saying you don't ever suggest paid DLC anywhere, for any game, unless you're a greedy developer yourself. Suggest DLC all you want, but not paid.

Oops, sorry. But even so, I don't get why you were begging to pay for something they'd already given us for free in the past?

Your 12 years in retail would suggest that you're nothing but a salesman and definitely anti-consumer.

Oh you're naive alright, but in a weird way. It's almost as if you're brainwashed into thinking the vast majority of gamers are happy to pay for additional content. Besides, what's so unrealistic about PD giving us free additional content in GT7? 'Free' is not the right word for it anyway. It's rather 'at no additional cost' because we're paying for the game, which should be plenty enough.
Sorry why do you have a problem with people that work in sales?

I considered writing a proper reply to your frankly ridiculous comments, but when the insults start getting personal I think it’s time I left the conversation.

Last edited:
Why not? As long as the content is genuinely brand new, made after the release of the game, and cost money for the developer to make, why wouldn't you want them to be paid for it as they were the original game?

Paid DLC at a basic level is not evil. I'm perfectly happy with genuine, high quality, paid DLC to extend the life of some games. The problem is that so much paid DLC is not that.

Sorry why do you have a problem with people that work in sales?

I considered writing a proper reply to your frankly ridiculous comments, but when the insults start getting personal I think it’s time I left the conversation.
As long as they don’t try to sell me stuff I don’t need (which is rare) I don’t have a problem with them at all.

Insults? I’m just saying that you being in retail doesn’t automatically make you pro-consumer, which you implied. I’ve never met a pro-consumer salesman in my life. Their job is to do one thing and one thing only, sell.
Why not? As long as the content is genuinely brand new, made after the release of the game, and cost money for the developer to make, why wouldn't you want them to be paid for it as they were the original game?

Paid DLC at a basic level is not evil. I'm perfectly happy with genuine, high quality, paid DLC to extend the life of some games. The problem is that so much paid DLC is not that.
I’m not saying I’m against paid DLC, I never have. I just don’t get why some people are literally begging PD to take their money before having any idea whatsoever what their plan is. I’d much rather have them keep doing what they’ve done for GT Sport.

Most developers are greedy enough as it is, they don’t need our help in that department. Also, nobody is not getting paid. Do you think all the people who made the DLC cars/tracks for GT Sport did it ideally on their time off? No, I can promise you they did not.

GT Sport has sold close to 10 million copies. These guys aren’t what I’d call poor.

Last edited:

Latest Posts

Back