Gran Turismo 7 to Host Olympic Esports Series 2023 Motor Sport Event

• Thread starter Famine
  • 66 comments
Starting on the 13th of April, Drivers will compete in fastest time trial on a custom course designed for the Olympic Esports Series. The track is exclusively available in Gran Turismo™️ 7 and will put driving skills to the test.

Interesting!

The 'custom track' may well just be Deep Forest with Olympic Sponsor Boards around the track (like they did with Tokyo Expressway last time)

It seems to me that Sony-PD, after losing the agreement with the FIA, signed with the IOC. I wonder how important these agreements with supranational regulatory sports organizations are for the GT franchise. At first, I don't see the point of this, if the objective is to attract more consumers.

I believe that the ideal would be for Sony-PD to close a massive and concrete agreement with sports leagues, such as GT World Challenge, GT Open, NASCAR, IndyCars, Super GT, WEC, DTM or IMSA. This is the case, for example, with Assetto Corsa, from Kunos, who manage to bring new and exclusive GT3 and GT2 cars, in addition to the European and American racetracks that serve the SRO leagues.

I think that this would have much more gains, because in theory it would provide PD with access to the rights to the circuits and the new GT3/GTE-GT2 and HyperCars cars.

It seems to me that the PD's objective in signing these fruitless agreements, of a purely aesthetic nature, with the FIA or the IOC, is to conquer popularly some elitist and sophisticated appeal, as if it were an ego exercise which, truth be it said, has no objective gain for the final consumer.

In the case, this is so true that we see in this trailer a one-make racing (Toyota LMh). I'm sure most prefer to compete with a variety of LMhs and LMDhs.

Last edited:
It seems to me that Sony-PD, after losing the agreement with the FIA, signed with the IOC.
That's... not only a massive, massive stretch, but something fundamentally contradicted by literally all of the information we have.

The IOC asked the governing bodies of the sports involved to select the platform (I've listed six of the nine in the article...). As the governing body of world motorsport, the FIA selected the platform for the "Motor Sport" discipline - and it selected GT7 (which is also in the article). It also selected GT Sport for the 2021 event.

I don't even know what "signed with the IOC" means.

I believe that the ideal would be for Sony-PD to close a massive and concrete agreement with sports leagues, such as GT World Challenge, GT Open, NASCAR, IndyCars, Super GT, WEC, DTM or IMSA. This is the case, for example, with Assetto Corsa, from Kunos, who manage to bring new and exclusive GT3 and GT2 cars, in addition to the European and American racetracks that serve the SRO leagues.

I think that this would have much more gains, because in theory it would provide PD with access to the rights to the circuits and the new GT3/GTE-GT2 and HyperCars cars.
The GT World Challenge is locked up with Assetto Corsa Competizione (not Assetto Corsa), so it's bizarre you'd cite this as even close to an option. NASCAR, WEC, and IndyCar are pretty well publicised as being exclusive to MG (along with BTCC), so they're out. IMSA is already rumoured to be tight with PD (given the several IMSA circuits that have been added since GT Sport), while DTM seems to be entirely intertwined with RaceRoom (which hosts its official esport, and a theoretical prize of a DTM drive - although this situation is complex given the termination of the DTM Trophy category).

That leaves Super GT, pretty much.

I'll likely enter if there's a potential credits prize akin to the current online time trials, where you don't necessarily have to have something crazy to get something - like a time within the top three overall. Otherwise, I don't really see the point unless you're already among the best of the best.

Last edited:
Looking forward to giving this a shot, why not! But need to practice with the Toyota Hybrid GR010! That Gr.1 racer is good but not particurly fast imo compared to VGT cars.

I wonder what track it may be, maybe a Modfied Spa or Le mans variant?
But will get some practicing in later on today. I'd be happy if it just a 20-30 lap high speed ring race lol. :D

Last edited:
I'm not going to enter the time trial but hold of and wait for a Gran Turismo event which suits me better. I'm thinking the hurdles sound fun.

Starting on the 13th of April, Drivers will compete in fastest time trial on a custom course designed for the Olympic Esports Series. The track is exclusively available in Gran Turismo™️ 7 and will put driving skills to the test.

Interesting!
They seemed to have changed the wording for this
IMG_20230320_183735.jpg

More format info is here: https://www.gran-turismo.com/gb/gt7/events/oes2023/overview/

Looks like you need to be in the top 10 in the online qualifier, with only 1 driver per country allowed. Then they'll add 10 drivers from countries -not- in the list of countries that can play online. The finals will be the top 11 of those (presumably the 10 online drivers plus one other...) plus one driver from Singapore, since they're the host.

Kind of a bummer that it's only the top 10 in the world that move on. It would be nice if they made these competitions a little more inclusive. Like wouldn't it be nice to have top players in each local region compete, then have a top-16 race in each nation, then move on to the final. It would give more good players hop of getting into a high-stakes race with the true aliens.

Kind of a bummer that it's only the top 10 in the world that move on. It would be nice if they made these competitions a little more inclusive. Like wouldn't it be nice to have top players in each local region compete, then have a top-16 race in each nation, then move on to the final. It would give more good players hop of getting into a high-stakes race with the true aliens.
With all due respect they used that format before and the level between the competition was vast. This way, they really do get the very best in the world to compete against each other which creates a more intense competition.

Since when is Australia & New Zealand part of Europe?

If you look carefully at schedule 1 the countries listed by zone, they place Australia & New Zealand in Europe...

Since when is Australia & New Zealand part of Europe?

If you look carefully at schedule 1 the countries listed by zone, they place Australia & New Zealand in Europe...
Sony Europe handles operations in Australia and New Zealand so I'm guessing they are using that as the basis.

Update since my last post, this Event is not easy! Will post videos and feedback later on today. The BOP is very annoying. :lol::sly:

Back