Gran Turismo 7 Was Revealed One Year Ago Today

Revolutionary, as far as a Gran Turismo game? I don't know.

What we got in the trailer and what was in game were completely different. I don't think a door ever opened on a car when I crashed. That would have been revolutionary for Gran Turismo.

For some reason, in GTS, manufacturers are okay with headlight and taillight breakages. Wheel rash(pretty cool though), loss of paint, scrapes and scratches.

One game(GT5), but it's Gran Turismo. I guess since Kaz will never get data from an Enzo smashing into a wall at 150mph, we'll have to look for extensive damage elsewhere.
Doors would definitely open on the premium rally cars in GT5 so would the hood. As shown in the night racing trailer, also IIRC from the last time I played GT5 which was last year some parts of the dodge challengers tail light fixture could slightly hang out if damaged

Doors would definitely open on the premium rally cars in GT5 so would the hood. As shown in the night racing trailer, also IIRC from the last time I played GT5 which was last year some parts of the dodge challengers tail light fixture could slightly hang out if damaged
GT5 car damage (At least visually) was sadly the most extensive one yet on the series, but there were some neat details like when the car was damaged, you could see its bumper somewhat hang on premium cars.

Yeah I don't know how GT7 will push the series forward to be honest. But I'm not sure if it has to.

What I find so incredible about the whole Forza Horizon thing is that this is an open world game. And Gran Turismo 7 will be a closed world game.

Yet the graphics of Forza Horizon 5 are better than what Gran Turismo 7 has shown so far.

Normally one would assume the opposite, as closed world environments can be optimised much more, since a huge world doesn't have to be displayed at once.

At least there is a little hope that Gross Gen can deliver good results.

Unfortunately, I have my doubts about Polyphony Digital.

Here is an interesting analyse from Digital Foundry:

Last edited:
We really need to stop referencing that old GT7 trailer for pretty much anything now. It's over a year old, and it will be likely 3 years old by the time GT7 likely releases. It's not going to representative of the final game any more than the first GTS trailers were, or any trailer years before release is. Mind you sometimes that goes the opposite way with downgrades, but the general point remains.

Wait for a GT7 trailer 6 months before its release, then compare.

Last edited:
What I find so incredible about the whole Forza Horizon thing is that this is an open world game. And Gran Turismo 7 will be a closed world game.

Yet the graphics of Forza Horizon 5 are better than what Gran Turismo 7 has shown so far.

Normally one would assume the opposite, as closed world environments can be optimized much more, since a huge world doesn't have to be displayed at once.

Here is an interesting analysis from Digital Foundry:

As someone who loves both GT and Horizon, I have to note that Forza puts a lot of focus on their environments and making the open world beautiful, while neglecting to put proper detail in their car interiors compared to PD. This is from the new C8 Corvette on FH4, on "Dynamic Ultra" graphic settings. Modeling and textures almost look like its from the PS3/360 era. I hope that Playground games have decided to change this, but I doubt it considering their marketing seems to be centered around how pretty the biomes look.

upload_2021-6-19_6-4-5.png

Last edited:
We really need to stop referencing that old GT7 trailer for pretty much anything now. It's over a year old, and it will be likely 3 years old by the time GT7 likely releases. It's not going to representative of the final game any more than the first GTS trailers were, or any trailer years before release is. Mind you sometimes that goes the opposite way with downgrades, but the general point remains. Wait for a GT7 trailer 6 months before its release, then compare.
Yes usually that's right, but we know PD. And to be honest, i don't expect a big increase. Maybe the Pop Ups will fixed, that's it. Sorry that i'm so pessimistic, but the past told me this.

Normally one would assume the opposite, as closed world environments can be optimised much more, since a huge world doesn't have to be displayed at once.

Here is an interesting analysis from Digital Foundry:

Open world hasn't much to do with graphics quality, many open word games have staggering gaphics such as Horizon Forbidden West,RDR2, Horizon Zero Dawn etc. The determining factor to have good graphics are the 30fps and Forza Horizon has the privilege to run at that frame rate and no raytracing (that eats up a lot of resouces) at his max settings and has less complex physics than GT. You can see how Foza Horizon 4 on xbox one has much better graphics than Forza Motorsport 7 thanks to 30fps cap

Last edited:
Yes usually that's right, but we know PD. And to be honest, i don't expect a big increase. Maybe the Pop Ups will fixed, that's it. Sorry that i'm so pessimistic, but the past told me this.

GTS in 2016.

Nothing is guaranteed to change of course but just generally speaking, in video game development, games change a heck of a lot in 3 years. The simple fact of the matter is the game obviously was not even close to finished at the time that trailer was made.

GTS in 2016.

Nothing is guaranteed to change of course but just generally speaking, in video game development, games change a heck of a lot in 3 years. The simple fact of the matter is the game obviously was not even close to finished at the time that trailer was made.

Ok let's hope :bowdown:

Open world hasn't much to do with graphics quality, many open word games have staggering gaphics such as Horizon Forbidden West,RDR2, Horizon Zero Dawn etc. The determining factor to have good graphics are the 30fps and Forza Horizon has the privilege to run at that frame rate and no raytracing (that eats up a lot of resouces) at his max settings and has less complex physics than GT. You can see how Foza Horizon 4 on xbox one has much better graphics than Forza Motorsport 7 thanks to 30fps cap
Physics as well though. On my gaming PC Forza Motorsport 7 runs at the required 60 FPS of my 60hz display, validated by a benchmark. When I ran Horizon 4 through the benchmark it showed that I could have run it at 240 FPS if I'd had a display capable of it.

Yeah, I just read it runs at 4k 30fps on Seriex X, and ray-traced reflections is only in Vista look mode. Would explain how they got so much detail in anyway.

But I believe PD will still struggle with making consistent high quality assets without outsource help based on what we saw in GT5/6/Sport.
At least they're working on it. I don't know if tracks are outsourced and I hope Poly is aware that its (original) tracks are not that great in terms of details...

Momoyuki Murayama - Photogrammetry Scan Artist - Polyphony Digital | LinkedIn

Interesting,

Hoping Photogramatory will make terrain look more natural and detailed rather than being flat and dull for over 10 years now.

Seriously hoping to see a big improvement for Trial Mountain!
Forza 8 trailer last year looked too good, almost like CGI. Now, after the FH5 reveal I can believe it.
Trial Mountain needs more than a big improvement. IMO so far in terms of visuals (not the car obviously), it looks last gen compared to Forza or any other next gen game like Ratchet and Clank or Horizon 2.

Forza 8 trailer last year looked too good, almost like CGI. Now, after the FH5 reveal I can believe it.
Trial Mountain needs more than a big improvement. IMO so far in terms of visuals (not the car obviously), it looks last gen compared to Forza or any other next gen game like Ratchet and Clank or Horizon 2.
PD can also make gorgeous looking in engine trailer if they want to but ever since GTSport they've been using real time gameplay and replays for their trailers, which I think is more honest. The GT7 reveal trailer is not a good representative of what we're going to get in the final product. What they've shown was probably the most stable build they had during that time, despite that it's still filled with audio and visual glitches, poor texturing, and pop ins. The PS5 is more than capable of eliminating most of those issues.

Last edited:
As someone who loves both GT and Horizon, I have to note that Forza puts a lot of focus on their environments and making the open world beautiful, while neglecting to put proper detail in their car interiors compared to PD. This is from the new C8 Corvette on FH4, on "Dynamic Ultra" graphic settings. Modeling and textures almost look like its from the PS3/360 era. I hope that Playground games have decided to change this, but I doubt it considering their marketing seems to be centered around how pretty the biomes look.

View attachment 1018277
As much as the interiors can look nice, I don't really see them. Exteriors when I am driving, and cars and exteriors when wacthing replays. Given that it is sometimes very difficult to see all the detail they have put into the interiors from the views that are accessible, as list of priorities, interior detail will be way down a list for me. Yvmv of course. 🙂

Back