Gran Turismo 7 Will Be More Like Classic GT Titles, Says Kazunori Yamauchi

I am more of a SP guy, but damn... GT Sport sucks alone. AI feels like its decades old. Not even remotely challenging either. Having all the fun in online though. Just have to find fair players which are on the same skill level.
GT Sport is a dull affair offline and it's something that GT7 needs to fix. I no longer play GT games for the physics so it must deliver in this area or else I'll play Assetto Corsa Competizione.

It's that time again, when I've had enough of Sport Mode. Even though PD tacked on the GT League content, they have all these years of experience, to have made it more indepth. ACC and PC games have that "GTness" in spades.

The past Gran Turismo Turbo Car events, Super Touring events, Station Wagon and Saloon events. PD have a history of cool events. 911 GT3, Lamborghini and Ferrari GT League races have potential. The AI programming is all wrong. We'll see if PD can blow other game sout the water with the non-Sport Mode events.

It's that time again, when I've had enough of Sport Mode. Even though PD tacked on the GT League content, they have all these years of experience, to have made it more indepth. ACC and PC games have that "GTness" in spades.

The past Gran Turismo Turbo Car events, Super Touring events, Station Wagon and Saloon events. PD have a history of cool events. 911 GT3, Lamborghini and Ferrari GT League races have potential. The AI programming is all wrong. We'll see if PD can blow other game sout the water with the non-Sport Mode events.
What'd make it different for previous GT events to GT League ones? They too had the likes of Lamborghini and La Festa Italiano (Ferrari).

The station wagon and saloon events was seen in GT2, though unfortunately the game didn't register the proper car restriction for those iirc (they always did for drivetrain and lightweight events for example). Those kind of events require huge car count, and other than returning I'd want an evolution (the term fits yes even if GT2 and GT3, also a little in GT League did), also hope all variations of the cars needed are implemented; like you're able to race lower powered MR cars, mid powered MR cars and higher powered MR cars, and probably even not restrict the lineups like allowing both race cars, tuned cars, and supercars on higher powered MR one.

What'd make it different for previous GT events to GT League ones? They too had the likes of Lamborghini and La Festa Italiano (Ferrari).

The station wagon and saloon events was seen in GT2, though unfortunately the game didn't register the proper car restriction for those iirc (they always did for drivetrain and lightweight events for example). Those kind of events require huge car count, and other than returning I'd want an evolution (the term fits yes even if GT2 and GT3, also a little in GT League did), also hope all variations of the cars needed are implemented; like you're able to race lower powered MR cars, mid powered MR cars and higher powered MR cars, and probably even not restrict the lineups like allowing both race cars, tuned cars, and supercars on higher powered MR one.
Qualifying for one. PD wouldn't need a big roster of wagons either. They love doing the one car thing. We've had that V8 Supercar by itself through the franchise.
Taking players through various stages of racing, would be a welcome addition. As optional(enable/disable) Practice, Qualifying and race all in one Championship. And it wouldn't have to be only for custom race. Some players want a rapid fire five race series to get through and progress with the game. Others want the full gamut of a race weekend.

GTS is stop start with each race. As in, start a race, finish a race, with no automatic blend into the next event. Bringing back the transition of one race to the next, of any one series. That would help with game flow.

Moving to the different types of events, I think PD did East vs West or UK vs Japan vs USA. We'll see if PD don ring back the PP system. Might be a better way for them to handle grouping cars together. Because, if what we see in the GT7 trailer, with a 917K vs GR.3 cars, is what they've come up with, it's going to be more of the same from GT Sport.

Thing is GT Sport largely has the assets there, baring track count.

There's the 2008 JGTC cars they they didnt use, like at all.

There's the Gr.C cars again, that they didnt use.

They have everything there to deliver a top of the line classic Gran Turismo league experience, even multiclass but they didnt bother.

They certainly had the capabiltiy to delliver a 'generic' Nascar, V8 Supercar, US Indycar and German DTM and even FWD BTCC experience given they know how to come up with synthetic race cars like the Jaguar GT3 and the Mazda 6 GT3 and the F1500s but they didnt.

Qualifying for one. PD wouldn't need a big roster of wagons either. They love doing the one car thing. We've had that V8 Supercar by itself through the franchise.
Taking players through various stages of racing, would be a welcome addition. As optional(enable/disable) Practice, Qualifying and race all in one Championship. And it wouldn't have to be only for custom race. Some players want a rapid fire five race series to get through and progress with the game. Others want the full gamut of a race weekend.

GTS is stop start with each race. As in, start a race, finish a race, with no automatic blend into the next event. Bringing back the transition of one race to the next, of any one series. That would help with game flow.

Moving to the different types of events, I think PD did East vs West or UK vs Japan vs USA. We'll see if PD don ring back the PP system. Might be a better way for them to handle grouping cars together. Because, if what we see in the GT7 trailer, with a 917K vs GR.3 cars, is what they've come up with, it's going to be more of the same from GT Sport.
Yeah, as I said multiple times just to remind (and speaking of East vs West or UK vs Japan vs USA), GT1 is a game that is all about Championships, and there's Practice (Test Run), Qualifying, and Race in every single one of them (GT2 iirc only had Practice, while GT3 had Qualifying that lasts for several laps, probably can double as practice, but it can be repeated). Of course those games allow you to skip Practice/Qualifying if you want.

1630921906005.png

Though as I said in my other reply to you, I suspect PD removes Qualifying (as well as rolling start) as an attempt to make the race harder due to their lackluster AI, instead of improving the AI.

If it's at least a return to the AI difficulty of classic GT titles, we should be alright. Until 4, their pace was good! They were challenging to beat. 5, 6 and Sport? Very slow for the most part, very tough in karts and F1, but they can't handle road cars. They can modulate their throttle to maintain grip with robotic efficiency, just try and win a custom one make race at Northern Isle in a '70 Challenger... I don't know how they do it. Take them to Tokyo Expressway and they're scared of walls, multiple easy overtakes on every corner.
In my review of GT Sport I showed a 60s Mini race at Miyabi, despite the track width and easy car, I could overtake the whole field, stop, let them all pass me and overtake them all again in 10 minutes. On Professional difficulty. I'm a C class driver, not Kimi, and there's almost no challenge to be had on the highest difficulty. I can pop in GT2 now and have 10+ lap challenging battles in Arcade, hopefully we'll get the option to have AI with decent pace (not starting 200m apart) in GT7.

In early GT games the AI were competitive due to rubber banding. The AI cars were given performance boosts when you went ahead and slowed down when you were behind. It worked well to keep 6 car grids close together, but it’s better to just program better AI. Especially for races with larger grid sizes.

Last edited:
Hope we have the option to drive with tops on or removed and up or down. Would be cool to drive the F50 with the top off.

True, let the player use the functions the car have like roadster's tops. And also when highlighting cars from dealership or such for something like tops.

Man I want really want rally city Circuits again like Citta Da Aria, Opera Paris and Costa di Amalfi, in a Special Conditions mode.

A new Hong Kong circuit would look incredible in night, rain with Ray-tracing and HDR. The neon signs and colours.
Citta da Aria and Costa Di Amalfi could be touge style events.

Thanks for the reply. I have wondered for some time who this game is aimed at. PD is in the business of making money so like any corporation they must do their due diligence and create games that sell and make money. As you can see below from their corporate details as of dec 2011 they had sold 66 million units worldwide. From launch to June 2019, Gran Turismo Sport had sold an estimated eight million copies.[57]

If you were to multiple those sales out by the cost per unit it equals some seriously big money.

From wiki:
Polyphony Digital is an internal Japanese first-party video game development studio of Sony Interactive Entertainment, operated under SIE Worldwide Studios, which in turn is owned by multinational conglomerate Sony. Originally a development group within Sony Computer Entertainment known as Polys Entertainment,[2][3] after the success of Gran Turismo in Japan, they were granted greater autonomy and their name changed to Polyphony Digital. Polyphony currently has 5 studios in Japan, the Netherlands, and the United States

PD do not communicate very well at all and so you would have to guess what their royal purpose is. My perspective is that PD is profit orientated so they are majorly interested in creating something that sells to more and more people, which means trying to be appealing to the gamers worldwide if they can. From what I can see from what they have said they are more interested in how it looks and less interested in how it plays. That doesn't mean they don't make game dynamics better, they do but I think they concentrate on "looking" realistic. if they are looking at how it conforms to their japanese heritage then it might indicate that looks not substance is their royal purpose. You might disagree!

Anyway, what's confusing is they promote this game as the real racing simulator and have very good daily and FIA championship races and have aligned themselves with real world championship race drivers and with the sports controlling body. The racing competition seems to appeal to a small percentage of players compared to the total number of unit sales. I would describe this small percentage as keen racing enthusiasts. The confusion is that except for the appearance of being realistic the racing is a fantasy land of make believe. This game is nothing like real racing.

So I can't work out if it's all just marketing and puffery or whether they seriously think it a real race simulator.

*************************************************************************************************************************************************
Polyphony Digital Inc. is a subsidiary of Sony Computer Entertainment Inc., and is a software developer entity. Originally a development group within Sony Computer Entertainment, the creators of “Gran Turismo ” established Polyphony Digital Inc. in 1998.

Cumulative sales of PlayStation® software titles developed by Polyphony Digital Inc. have exceeded 65.89 million units worldwide (as of Dec 2011) across the “Gran Turismo” series.

General Information
Entity Name: Polyphony Digital Inc.
Established: April 2nd 1998
Yamatane Fukagawa Building No.1 2F
1-1-1 Echujima, Koto-ku
Tokyo
135-0044
[Fukuoka Atelier]
Fukuoka SRP Center Building 5F
2-1-22 Momochihama, Sawara-ku
Fukuoka City
814-0001
Capital: 10 Million Yen
Employees: Approx. 110
Business Description: Planning and development of game software, and operation of surrounding services
Representative: President Kazunori Yamauchi
Board Members: Kazunori Yamauchi Representative Director
Kazuo Hirai Director
Shuhei Yoshida Director
Kiyoshi Akutsu Auditor
GT has got to a point where PD can do what they want and people will still buy the game, maybe not to the numbers of previous games but enough to make a profit. We don't know what the AI is like yet there are reports that the 25th anniversary edition has sold out in some countries.

I look forward to a return to having more of an emphasis on JDM cars/culture like the original GT games. I want to try every year of R32-R35 and all the other JDM greats. fingers crossed.
I love the JDM cars too. Now we know that modifications are coming, an idea would be for PD to give us for example the base skyline R33. If we want to turn it into a GTR then add these parts. A V spec II, add these parts or remove this much weight. No need for them to create 5 different R33 versions (even though I would still buy them all).

Thing is GT Sport largely has the assets there, baring track count.

There's the 2008 JGTC cars they they didnt use, like at all.

There's the Gr.C cars again, that they didnt use.

They have everything there to deliver a top of the line classic Gran Turismo league experience, even multiclass but they didnt bother.

They certainly had the capabiltiy to delliver a 'generic' Nascar, V8 Supercar, US Indycar and German DTM and even FWD BTCC experience given they know how to come up with synthetic race cars like the Jaguar GT3 and the Mazda 6 GT3 and the F1500s but they didnt.
Done with the GT series for now. I agree with you, but not only in GTS but most of the GT games. They did not even come close to utilizing most of the vehicles to their full potential, meaning - easily dozens of more GT offline race events could be made.

I would suggest that they give ability to change settings on most event. Say ya want to run a short race (5 laps), medium (10 laps), or long (20 laps). With different pay-outs. Ability to turn on track limits and other penalties, have tire and fuel usage options, and damage. I know in general why they do not though, because the A.I. is terrible and has had no real significant improvement since GT1. Sounds are garbage.
Let people change the event settings similar to arcade user created races.

Some day maybe some game company could blend the GT/Forza style with say Project Cars.
That would be a great game.

Would you say the campaign mode is like previous GT's like GT4/GT5. That's what usually keeps me busy you see?

I know you can't say much but would be nice to know how progress is going if that's okay? 😁 @TRL LIGHTNING

Having a look across all the ads for past games:

GT Sport”
very deceptive wording:
Strap in for a heart-racing single player mode which includes a series of classic cups and endurance races that have appeared in past GT titles. Do you have the skill to take pole position in fan favourites such as the Sunday Cup, Clubman Cup and FF Challenge?

Reads like qualifying returned in GT Sport.

This is interesting:

Toyota TS050 - Hybrid (Toyota Gazoo Racing)​

Toyota’s direct rival to the Porsche 919, this Prototype car boasts a hybrid powertrain combined with a turbocharged 2.4 litre direct injection V6 with a Motor Generator Unit (MGU). The TS050’s settings for its inclusion in GT Sport were chosen by Kamui Kobayashi, the driver who set the new course record at the real life Le Mans, using this car.

Changes from this video to the final product.

No pace car rolling starts. Only standing starts in Custom setting and some FIA races.

I hope GT7 is like a classic Gran Turismo game in the sense that it’s for one console only, in this case the PS5.

If they want to make a simplified version for PS4, fine, but please no cross gen online.

GT7 will be around for years, PS5 sales will catch up eventually, we don’t want to be limited by the PS4 for the entirety of GT7’s lifespan.

I hope GT7 is like a classic Gran Turismo game in the sense that it’s for one console only, in this case the PS5.

If they want to make a simplified version for PS4, fine, but please no cross gen online.

GT7 will be around for years, PS5 sales will catch up eventually, we don’t want to be limited by the PS4 for the entirety of GT7’s lifespan.
PD said it will be a cross play online, and that will be good because my other member of my family can race with me online on the PS4, while I am on my PS5.

Another feature are the head lights turning on/off. From the video, it implies the headlights would do this automatically, that didn’t happen, but we didn’t get the option for on and off, like in GT5/GT6.

Seems a bit of a pointless thing to hope for when we've known that won't be the case for some time. Like it or not, it's on PS4 and we're all going to have to deal with the consequences of that.

Indeed. It was already announced as a PS5 only game initially, even here there wasn't anything resembling an uproar. Everyone had already expected a PS5 only game, so it was no surprise. Sure, some were disappointed it wasn't PS4 but certainly no uproar.

Not really?

If anything PD/Sony received more backlash surrounding the PS4 version actually being a thing because the game itself was marketed as a PS5 exclusive from when it was first announced to early 2021
If it was still be a PS5 exclusive right now it would be an uproar, because the PS5 is hard to get.

What backlash did PD/Sony get because I did not see or here of anything, or was it just fake news ?.

Last edited:

I can't believe after a dozen games between them neither GT or Forza have featured historic tracks like PC. And in terms of events, they're miles behind the Forza games now, FM7 had amazing options for custom races and even Horizon now let's you create your own events and hand pick which cars feature. Personally I think letting players create their own events is the future, Horizon let's you name and share them, that would be amazing in a game like GT.

Beside the weak AI, the last straw for me was GT6 showing a video of a historic race at Le Mans, which wasn't in the career or couldn't be created in the arcade mode. But I really think they must of learned their lesson this time!

Correct me if I’m wrong but last time I played forza motorsport you couldn’t even view a list of private lobbies like you can in GTS. That’s where FM falls flat on it’s face imo, they got rid of that feature for 5 and it was arguably the dumbest decision they made so far.

Last edited:
I can't believe after a dozen games between them neither GT or Forza have featured historic tracks like PC. And in terms of events, they're miles behind the Forza games now, FM7 had amazing options for custom races and even Horizon now let's you create your own events and hand pick which cars feature. Personally I think letting players create their own events is the future, Horizon let's you name and share them, that would be amazing in a game like GT.

Beside the weak AI, the last straw for me was GT6 showing a video of a historic race at Le Mans, which wasn't in the career or couldn't be created in the arcade mode. But I really think they must of learned their lesson this time!
GTS has Custom Race in Arcade, but yeah, that can be evolved into full event creation like more settings like creating championship, saving the event setting and share it.

Back