Gran Turismo 7 Wins "Best Sports / Racing Game" at The Game Awards

• Thread starter Jordan
  • 73 comments
One time in cub scouts I won the award for best decorated car for a pinewood derby and my car was white with 2 blue stripes (like the Dodge Viper) with a 4 painted on the side (for the best player soon to go pro at the time for my favorite college team), not exactly anything special. The other finalists were the car in the starter kit painted red, and 2 cars that were obviously sloppy repaints of their car from last year (FIFA and NBA 2K every year). I pretty much just won the award by default because I was around for longer. I was happy I won the trophy and many people said I deserved it, but I was in scouts for a few years by then and knew deep down that any other year, I probably wouldn't even have been nominated.
20221209_051613.jpg

This is a picture from today of the trophy. I can't take a picture of the car today because I convinced my parents that since cars that were repainted still were nominated that it wasn't worth making a new, creative car every time. My parents agreed and I just repainted the car the rest of the times. I never got nominated for any awards again.
I really hope that having the worst ever Gran Turismo win this award doesn't make the developers content in their ways especially knowing that every time slight changes of some previous games have a chance to win. While yes, for now GT deserves the win over the copy and paste games, I haven't played the skateboarding game but from what I've seen of it the much lower budget and smaller development team put in enough effort to deserve the win. GT may have the overall better product because they have built up a reputation of the classic games being great and coasted on the Nostalgia but that doesn't mean they should consider this as an excuse to not make things better and try to innovate.

I hoped there would had been anything from Forza.

To show what we can await in 2023 and don't get the stage only the competitor.

Some 9 months after release I’m still playing GT7 daily (when work allows). It remains, by far, the best feeling driving experience, while the attention to detail, tuning options, dynamic weather, and so on, continues to give unique experiences.

At this point GT7 is my favourite Gran Turismo to date, surpassing GT4. I expect (at least) another 2 years of support, plus exciting additions like PSVR2 & PC.

The GT franchise is in a very good place right now. With much of the heavy technical lifting done in GTS and the early days of GT7. From this point on I want to see greater focus on content, game structure, AI and community features.

Last edited:
They aren't real awards.... it's just a vehicle for advertising. 🙄 Like how could it have not won?

Kaz is getting extra crispy tonight!

Last edited:
Been playing F1-2022 online and GT7 online, I find I have better control for side by side racing in GT7.
Graphics/Sound/Music/Car handling all feel better in GT7. It's just a more polished game.

I feel like some people here spend more time hating a game than enjoying their free time gaming.

They aren't real awards.... it's just a vehicle for advertising. 🙄 Like how could it have not won?

Kaz is getting extra crispy tonight!
The videogame industry takes the awards as seriously as the movie industry does the Oscars. Whether you agree with the results is a different matter.

There’ll be a few hundred GOTY awards in the coming month’s. We’ve already seen GT7 has been in the discussions. It will likely be in the top 3 for most racing/sports specific categories.

Last edited:
As much as we can complain about the state GT7 has been since launch and also about the "out of this world anti-consumer and gamer" decisions that PD makes...

As a sports/racing game, it indeed still dwarfs the competition in that category this year. EA has been from mediocre to straight up bad games year after year since god knows for how long.
And... No other "rival" was released this year.

So yes, GT7 totally deserves this award. It however has as much meaning as Toyota winning the 24hr of Le Mans from 2018-till now. Lackluster competition.

Last edited:
And the rest of this years Circus awards are for: the Tallest Dwarf, the Thinnest Fat Lady, the Unfunniest Clown, the Lowest Trapeze Artist, The Least Number of Items Juggled........ GT7 as a Racing Game.

What next? An Air Guitarist inducted into the music hall of fame ;-)

The videogame industry takes the awards as seriously as the movie industry does the Oscars. Whether you agree with the results is a different matter.

There’ll be a few hundred GOTY awards in the coming month’s. We’ve already seen GT7 has been in the discussions. It will likely be in the top 3 for most racing/sports specific categories.
Where did I disagree with the results?

No but presence wouldn't it be important to have someone from the company there just for presence if your game is a nominee and can win?
Plenty of awards are just picked up by a representative of the publisher instead of any developers, more often when they're from other regions (like Polyphony). For example the CEO of Nintendo of America received all the Nintendo ones, while Sony had the developers and actors of God of War pick up the ones that won

Been playing F1-2022 online and GT7 online, I find I have better control for side by side racing in GT7.
Graphics/Sound/Music/Car handling all feel better in GT7. It's just a more polished game.

I feel like some people here spend more time hating a game than enjoying their free time gaming.
exactly. There are those who criticize and that's it and those who play and have fun.

As much as we can complain about the state GT7 has been since launch and also about the "out of this world anti-consumer and gamer" decisions that PD makes...

As a sports/racing game, it indeed still dwarfs the competition in that category this year. EA has been from mediocre to straight up bad games year after year since god knows for how long.
And... No other "rival" was released this year.

So yes, GT7 totally deserves this award. It however has as much meaning as Toyota winning the 24hr of Le Mans from 2018-till now. Lackluster competition.
Shame Grid Legends didn't make the cut. The racing in that game is much more fun.

Meanwhile hotlapping and testing your tuned cars is probably the only fun thing in GT7. But I guess they put the Esports part in consideration.

Back