Gran Turismo 7's 1.25 Update is Coming This Week, With Four New Cars

• Thread starter Famine
  • 811 comments
God of War is a different game being developed by a different studio whom don't have a history of lengthy delays.

Do you have proof or a source suggesting 15 people are working on it? PD employ around 300 people, Gran Turismo is the only title they develop, the likelihood of only 15/300 people working on the only game they develop, is zero. So yes, it's a deluded viewpoint.

It's half a year since the release of a game that clearly launched unfinished. Look at what history tells us about games that launch that way, they take time to fix, Cyberpunk is a prime example of this, wasnt fixed overnight, wasnt fixed in 6 months. We're also basing expectations on personal assumptions around something we have no idea about. We don't know how easy or difficult it is to do things development wise with this game.
To be fair, the problems Cyberpunk faced are of a very different calibre to what GT7 faces.

Most complaints that GT7 face can be fixed in a single patch in a couple weeks dev time. Increasing payouts offline and online and adding missions and events are not hard things to do. At all.

If they focused on improving things like that for a month and even if Kaz then said "There will be no new cars this update, but we are focusing on providing an improved singleplayer and online experience to our players" I can guarantee most people will be quite excited, because that is what the game truly needs. Not 2 years worth of improvements like Cyberpunk. 1 month of someone giving the game the care it needs, where it needs it.

To be fair, the problems Cyberpunk faced are of a very different calibre to what GT7 faces.

Most complaints that GT7 face can be fixed in a single patch in a couple weeks dev time. Increasing payouts offline and online and adding missions and events are not hard things to do. At all.

If they focused on improving things like that for a month and even if Kaz then said "There will be no new cars this update, but we are focusing on providing an improved singleplayer and online experience to our players" I can guarantee most people will be quite excited, because that is what the game truly needs. Not 2 years worth of improvements like Cyberpunk. 1 month of someone giving the game the care it needs, where it needs it.
Exactly. There are no huge, underlying fundamental flaws in GT7 that needs fixing. The core of the game works relatively flawlessly. There are bugs, of course, but nothing gamebreaking. Unless you like 2P Splitscreen.

Most of what needs fixing or changing with GT7 could be done in relatively no time at all, it's however quite clear they choose not to. That's a rather big difference to other games.

Exactly. There are no huge, underlying fundamental flaws in GT7 that needs fixing. The core of the game works relatively flawlessly. There are bugs, of course, but nothing gamebreaking. Unless you like 2P Splitscreen.

Most of what needs fixing or changing with GT7 could be done in relatively no time at all, it's however quite clear they choose not to. That's a rather big difference to other games.
But without evidence, can we back up the notion that they're choosing not to?

Absolutely. My point with Cyberpunk being that it took an enormous amount of effort to recalibrate to people's expectations. The level and type of problems are different but the end goal is the same. GT7 isn't broken, it's fundamentally flawed in its design. To give the majority of GTP users what they want, they effectively have to completely change the direction. I'm sure that will happen, they're slow and rooted in a simplistic set of ideologies, but they aren't stupid, and neither are Sony.

Kaz only posts silhouettes. Imagine a silhouette picture for this :dunce:

Last edited:
Several months after launch I don’t think the game has anywhere near the amount of events it should have, but I’d say the current variety would have been acceptable if this is what it had offered at release. There’s now something to do for most car types, but I’m still awaiting events that suit the vintage racing cars (and more one-make events of course).

Overall this was a mediocre update. The ‘73 Skyline GT-R, Merak SS and Historic events are pretty solid additions, but the general shortage of new stuff to do is always a negative counterweight to the good stuff. This turtle speed evolution of the game is getting more and more annoying, because it seems like deliberate restraint on PD’s part.

Last edited:
Since you dont have one either, you are welcome to the Club Of Deluded.
But you have nothing to back your theory up, I've backed mine up with at least semi credible reasoning based on what we know of the company.

But without evidence, can we back up the notion that they're choosing not to?

Absolutely. My point with Cyberpunk being that it took an enormous amount of effort to recalibrate to people's expectations. The level and type of problems are different but the end goal is the same. GT7 isn't broken, it's fundamentally flawed in its design. To give the majority of GTP users what they want, they effectively have to completely change the direction. I'm sure that will happen, they're slow and rooted in a simplistic set of ideologies, but they aren't stupid, and neither are Sony.
If Kaz promised no repetition in grind (but we still have only 4 worth to grind races), selling cars and 24 hour events and it didn't show up until now then what does it mean? For me it looks obvious that they chose not to do this stuff. I know that you will do some mental gymnastics about it.

https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/thre...e-coming-july-28.410715/page-31#post-13801096

My post with quotes and sources.

Well they haven't, so what is the alternative? That it really does take 7 months to change a few parameters?
It depends what parameters you want changing. Prize money yeah, they could, they aren't so perhaps that's a thing that's by design.
If Kaz promised no repetition in grind (but we still have only 4 worth to grind races), selling cars and 24 hour events and it didn't show up until now then what does it mean? For me it looks obvious that they chose not to do this stuff. I know that you will do some mental gymnastics about it.

https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/thre...e-coming-july-28.410715/page-31#post-13801096

My post with quotes and sources.
If they said they're going to do it then why would they choose not to having said they will. Again, this is what I'm saying about understanding. I'm sure a lot of people will look at it and think, just chuck a 24 hour race or 2 in, how hard can that be. Well it hasn't arrived yet so it's obviously not as simple and straightforward as people seem to think. No need for mental gymnastics to take into consideration all the factors around game development.

PD have a fundamental communication problem which makes everything worse. There's no time-line, no road map, no communication throughout updates. Everyone's annoyed that certain features or functions haven't arrived. But the blow would be softened if we actually had an understanding of what to expect and when, which would take a big edge off of the criticism levelled at them.

I'm sure a lot of people will look at it and think, just chuck a 24 hour race or 2 in, how hard can that be. Well it hasn't arrived yet so it's obviously not as simple and straightforward as people seem to think.
Or, they're just choosing not to. Like I said. Races are just parameters in a database or file, we can set them up ourselves with an in-game option. There is absolutely 0% chance the reason they've not added them yet is because of time/skill limitations. If it truly did take more than 7 months to add a couple of races then games would take 20 years to get made.

Plus, what about the races they have added? Why have none of them matched the payout of the best races? Because they chose not to, it's literally the only answer.

PD have a fundamental communication problem which makes everything worse. There's no time-line, no road map, no communication throughout updates. Everyone's annoyed that certain features or functions haven't arrived. But the blow would be softened if we actually had an understanding of what to expect and when, which would take a big edge off of the criticism levelled at them.
Well yes, no arguments there.

Last edited:
It depends what parameters you want changing. Prize money yeah, they could, they aren't so perhaps that's a thing that's by design.

If they said they're going to do it then why would they choose not to having said they will. Again, this is what I'm saying about understanding. I'm sure a lot of people will look at it and think, just chuck a 24 hour race or 2 in, how hard can that be. Well it hasn't arrived yet so it's obviously not as simple and straightforward as people seem to think. No need for mental gymnastics to take into consideration all the factors around game development.

If it's by design, then they've chosen for it to be that way and therefore are choosing not to change it.

There is absolutely no reason that they couldn't implement a fully fledged single player career mode. It takes a couple of hours to set up and properly balance a custom event in GT5. I added about half a dozen in one evening once when I was in my stride. This could have been done several times over by now for GT7, but they are drip feeding content, that's by design, that's them choosing to do it that way rather than to go and make the game a better game properly.

We know that the chase the rabbit starts are done by a single parameter in the events .xml file, they could set all races to grids, they can increase the AI dififculty (you simply set the value to each AI in the event).

As an example here's a custom event I created for GT5, this is some of the XML data that is used to determine how the event plays out:

1666357239277.png

The championship value, 0 determins the event is a selection of single races, 1 determines that it's an actual championship.

AI skill is self-explanetory.

Then the pool of cars the AI will be selected from.

If we go further down you have these values:

1666357344376.png

You can probably work out most of these for yourself, but we have the number of entries in the races, the players starting position, then further down start_typevalue=Rolling-1 is a rolling grid start like many real race series.

GT7 has options for all of this in it's game files, you don't even need to see the files to know that they are there because they are used, grid starts and rolling grid starts are used in custom races and in a small number of world circuit races.

PD are simply choosing not to give us the content we're asking for here.

It's not difficult, it's a choice.

Last edited:
I've backed mine up
Nope. You didnt.

But I guess it comes down to die-hard fans that will applaud, no matter what PD does on the one side. And people that feel frauded by laughable content, questionable quality and ***** patches, on the other side.

If they have a high headcount of people working on this game, the one paying them cant be satisfied by their output.

If it's by design, then they've chosen for it to be that way and therefore are choosing not to change it.

There is absolutely no reason that they couldn't implement a fully fledged single player career mode. It takes a couple of hours to set up and properly balance a custom event in GT5. I added about half a dozen in one evening once when I was in my stride. This could have been done several times over by now for GT7, but they are drip feeding content, that's by design, that's them choosing to do it that way rather than to go and make the game a better game properly.

We know that the chase the rabbit starts are done by a single parameter in the events .xml file, they could set all races to grids, they can increase the AI dififculty (you simply set the value to each AI in the event).

As an example here's a custom event I created for GT5, this is some of the XML data that is used to determine how the event plays out:

View attachment 1202542

The championship value, 0 determins the event is a selection of single races, 1 determines that it's an actual championship.

View attachment 1202543

You can probably work out most of these for yourself, but we have the number of entries in the races, the players starting position, then further down start_typevalue=Rolling-1 is a rolling grid start like many real race series.

GT7 has options for all of this in it's game files, you don't even need to see the files to know that they are there because they are used, grid starts and rolling grid starts are used in custom races and in a small number of world circuit races.

Plus of course PD won't be editing XML files by hand, they will have entry/edit forms with many levels of validation, making it even faster and error-proof.

Last edited:
They are. They were knocking out 70-80 cars per calendar year from 2010 to 2019, they're now more like 40-50 at best.

GT6 launched with 124 new cars, GT7 launched with 54. 80 something if you include the redone GT5/6 models.

This is also with the fact that back then they said cars took 6 months to make, now they're three months. Output should have nearly doubled if everything else remained a constant.

They're either much, much slower or holding cars back. It's one of the two.
My morning brain forgot to consider more factors. I also didn't know the 6 month process was halved. I had a rare-these-days defense of PD but that didn't work out lol

My morning brain forgot to consider more factors. I also didn't know the 6 month process was halved. I had a rare-these-days defense of PD but that didn't work out lol
Well to be fair that was a timeframe given by one of the outsourcing companies, for all we know PD are still taking twice as long to produce mostly the same results because they sit there making sure the text and icons on the headlights and wiper blades are 100% accurate.

Whatever the truth, the end result is sadly less cars.

Plus of course PD won't be editing XML files by hand, they will have entry/edit forms with many levels of validation, making it even faster and error-proof.
Exactley, whatever tools we have PD will have more purpose designed tools with validation steps in the way. Not hand edited XML's that can crash the game if you put in one typo.

^Yes.

I don't think this game NEEDS a lot to be complete and perfect. Really just add more events, make championship series real (i.e. you have to lock in and do them all one after the other), and give us more one hour races that actually pay out (not one and done like the human comedy). I'd also request 2-3 hour long races and the return of one car, the RUF Yellowbird!

Would it be nice to have more cars and more tracks? Sure, but IMO we have plenty of tracks to chose from and I think most people would agree. Are some of the track choices quite odd? Yes, and I wish we had more classic GT tracks than some of these dumb ones (boutique ovals, cough cough).

Nope. You didnt.

But I guess it comes down to die-hard fans that will applaud, no matter what PD does on the one side. And people that feel frauded by laughable content, questionable quality and ***** patches, on the other side.

If they have a high headcount of people working on this game, the one paying them cant be satisfied by their output.
But you've only quoted part of what I said, ive backed up my theory with figures and reason, you have not. So your argument is based off absolutely zero credibility or resource. If you're looking at what I'm saying as applauding PD on what they're doing then you simply aren't reading what I'm saying outside of your own agenda.

^Yes.

I don't think this game NEEDS a lot to be complete and perfect. Really just add more events, make championship series real (i.e. you have to lock in and do them all one after the other), and give us more one hour races that actually pay out (not one and done like the human comedy). I'd also request 2-3 hour long races and the return of one car, the RUF Yellowbird!

Would it be nice to have more cars and more tracks? Sure, but IMO we have plenty of tracks to chose from and I think most people would agree. Are some of the track choices quite odd? Yes, and I wish we had more classic GT tracks than some of these dumb ones (boutique ovals, cough cough).
Agree on cars to a degree, at least they should utilise the ones they've got better first, although new ones are always welcome. Disagree on tracks though, the game launched with zero brand new to the series tracks and still has only added one. The rest are what everyone had been racing in GTS for four years. That's simply unheard of for GT, or any racing game. New tracks can help massively to keep a racing game fresh.

Last edited:
That would be me, in this very angry and bitterly disappointed post buried among many other things.

Edit: I made a mistake with my previous claim, taking it back.
Either way, the AI cars in Tokyo Rain obviously operate with a different set up physics (if any), which is enough for me to consider them "cheating".

I finally managed to win the race for the first time with a maxed out, RX-7 swapped Cappucino on Wet and RH tires, and never raced there again to save what sanity I have left.

They finally added a "homologation" of tires for custom races. Even if you don't own the tires! This is a really great QoL addition. Much appreciated!

Agree on cars to a degree, at least they should utilise the ones they've got better first, although new ones are always welcome. Disagree on tracks though, the game launched with zero brand new to the series tracks and still has only added one. The rest are what everyone had been racing in GTS for four years. That's simply unheard of for GT, or any racing game. New tracks can help massively to keep a racing game fresh.
Or even let all cars run on all tracks, (in their respective pp classes).

Just an idea, but do you think they are holding back a lot of content to push GT7 again with rumoured PS5 Pro/Slim releases?

PS5 sales have been hampered by shortages, and the impetus of new versions of the consoles (possibly produced more cheaply), backed by new games and major updates to current games could be a big boost to sales. If they could get those new consoles in the shops too of course. ;) :lol:

It is a very risky strategy if that were the reason for the, imho, c*** support of GT7.

Of the new cars, I bought the GT-R Nismo GT3, Merak and Mazda Roadster NR-A. No way I am wasting that many credits on the 1973 Nissan Skyline GT-R. Of the ones I have bought, I've only used the GT-R Nismo GT3. :indiff: So buying them was just to have them, not that they seem immediately useful in any races or championships.

They, again imho, should be adding races or championships for every car they add, to at least make it initially useful at least.

From the new Menu's I did get a 6* drive shaft from the roulette! 😲 So not all bad. 🙄:lol:

Well written. And unfortunately very sad. Loads of events would be great but they choose to drip feed content this is bad... very bad.

what you mean and what was ad

What does this mean?

As per the developer notes it is understood that when you add cars from your garage and set a specific tire for the race as part of the regulations for that race, then all of the rival cars will have those tires set even if the rival cars are from your garage and you have not purchased such tires on such vehicles before.

Back