Gran Turismo and the joy of music

• Thread starter Razamataz
  • 44 comments
United Kingdom
London
azzabry86
Howdy folks. One of the things I've continuously love about Gran Turismo is the soundtrack. I've a fairly eclectic taste myself but I can definitely thank this series for introducing me to a diverse range of talented artists. For me driving and music go hand in hand, especially IRL when you're cruising on your favourite road in the best possible conditions.

One genre in particular of note are the the electronic songs used in the series. Tracks by Jagwar Ma, Culture Shock, Oliver, Boys Noize, Underworld and Danger are all absolute tunes. Racing GT6's time attack challenge at Sierra (RIP, solely missed), whilst listening to Control by Oliver is a defining video game moment for me.

Curiously I think whoever's curated the menu music for GTS is a serious fan of the Hotel Costes compilations. Once upon a time I used shoot portraits for a living and this was always my go to source for background music. Colour me surprised during my initial play through of GTS. Cafe del Mar influences seem to present in the choice of Lenny Ibazzare too.

So how about anyone else? Any thoughts on the soundtrack in GTS? Any highlights from the series as a whole? These forum's often feature ideal track and car combos, so how about car, track and song combos?

Love the menu music, only like SOME of the racing BGM, and it's not enough to leave on without getting repetitive. The only racing BGM tunes which I genuinely like are Accelerate, Basilisk, STONEFIST and Tone Poem. That's why Spotify is my best friend in this situation.

Last edited:
Love the menu music, only like SOME of the racing BGM, that's why Spotify is my best friend in that situation.
Spotify PS4 integration was made for this game
It's an acquired taste. / For me I love almost all the songs of GT. GT5's song selection hit me hard with that sudden change in music genres, but it just worked itself out and now I love this jazz music just as much :D
Apple Music have a great Hotel Costes channel if you like that sort of thing. Failing that there's a bunch of compilations on Spotify too.

As a whole I have always like the music in Gran Turismo games but I tend to just go with the menu musics as I'm
not a fan of racing with music on as I prefer the car sounds myself.

Will have a listen to the songs at some point though.

For me my personal favourite soundtrack for Gran Turismo series as a whole was Gran Turismo (PS1) and Gran Turismo 4
on PS2.

Sadly i only enjoy the menu music in GT Sports. It's a weird selection for the race ones, very few that i like but i still keep the Transmission mode on.

It's a shame for me since i've been quite a big fan of the music selection from first to 6 but i guess that's where Spotify\music app came into play.

My favorite music in racing has to be in GT4. Lots of variety. GT5 gets the most relaxing menu music along with 4.

Last edited:
Daiki Kasho is my favourite artist of all time. Jon Underdown my favourite singer. "Edge Of The World (2012 version)" my favourite song. 'Nuff said.

My favourite new song in GTS is "Run You" by The Qemists.
I remember these guys from the SSX reboot a few years back. Incredible soundtrack, especially on the "Deadly Descent" stages.

Daiki Kasho is my favourite artist of all time. Jon Underdown my favourite singer. "Edge Of The World (2012 version)" my favourite song. 'Nuff said.

My favourite new song in GTS is "Run You" by The Qemists.

Daiki Kasho will always be good. "Run You" is a bit too heavy for a game like GT Sport imo. Normally I'd listen to that but combined with GT Sport's gameplay it's very polarising and dissonant.

Daiki Kasho will always be good. "Run You" is a bit too heavy for a game like GT Sport imo. Normally I'd listen to that but combined with GT Sport's gameplay it's very polarising and dissonant.
I get what you mean; I only heard it in a replay anyway. I race without music.

Spotify PS4 integration was made for this game

Apple Music have a great Hotel Costes channel if you like that sort of thing. Failing that there's a bunch of compilations on Spotify too.

USB music player was invented for this game.

I just listen to Super Eurobeat Presents (SEB) Initial D, and it's many volumes.

USB music player was invented for this game.

This is probably better than Spotify tbh. No using of precious connection speed that could be used by the game, especially where I live that connection speed is at a premium. Also it plays the original menu music, but cuts to your playlist when racing. The legal implications are what is stopping me from doing this though.

All the music used in GT games is very well chosen, & adds something special to the game (it's all very slick). I even like the Lounge Music, & the other day found myself searching out some Jazz/Lounge tracks on YouTube! :dopey: Whoever takes care of that side of things gets a 10/10 for a job well done imho.

👍

I actually find GT Sport's soundtrack to be one of the weakest in the series. That's not a slight against the music but more of the high bar all the other games have set. There are a long list of favorites I have and there isn't much in GT Sport's lineup that can compete against the likes of "From the East", GT4's menu music and "Day to Live."

However, Kato's "Lineage" easily ranks up high. For me, it's synonymous with FIA races. When it comes on, there a sense of anticipation for an event much larger than your typical race against a fierce group of competitors.

Aside from the ending credits song and the five end-of-race jingles for GT League/Sport Mode, I'm quite disappointed that Daiki Kasho didn't do any new songs for GTS. Perhaps it's because GTS wasn't meant to be a full title before they added GT League. *shrug*

I wonder if @Shirrako knows why he didn't do any new songs?

I find my groove to Woodkid when I'm 18 seconds down and there's only a lap and a half to go!
Run Boy Run, what an absolute belter of a song. Great use in the trailer too. I was initially very sceptical of GTS but that trailer for me was where the hype train really gathered some steam.

VBR
All the music used in GT games is very well chosen, & adds something special to the game (it's all very slick). I even like the Lounge Music, & the other day found myself searching out some Jazz/Lounge tracks on YouTube! :dopey: Whoever takes care of that side of things gets a 10/10 for a job well done imho.

👍
I remember GT6 switching me onto Bossanova for the first time. Can’t remember the song but it’s a real classy piece.

Love the soundtrack to this game! I even have the playlist on my apple music to get myself psyched up on the way home from work (sad I know haha).

My personal favourite by far is 4H30 - Danger!! A proper racing tune if you ask me!

I remember GT6 switching me onto Bossanova for the first time. Can’t remember the song but it’s a real classy piece.

Con Mi Sombra is amazing in GT Sport. Even two years ago, I would never see myself liking a Bossanova song.

On second look of this. Glad you did'nt say 'sound of music. I hate yodelling.

I absolutely LOVE the music in GT Sport. A lot of is so different to games past, yet it fits with GT Sport so well.

It’s so... imaginative, so... out there. Almost like moodroom music. I listen to it and it can make my imagination whirr. It’s also super chill, so nice when taking photos in Scapes.

There’s just something about it. The vibe it gives off is like the guys at PD were picking the songs deep into the night/early morning, in the office with the lights dimmed.

It also has a flow like state if you think of it that way - you’re focusing on a task and it just blends into the background perfectly. I don’t know, the music just makes inspiration strike at times and I can get lost in it, almost. Imagine scenarios that fit the music. You can do that with previous GT’s music too, and just about with any music but this soundtrack gives me the impression that it was geared towards being out there, really chill but also thought provoking, in a way.

Kudos to PD for finding these songs because not many of them are mainstream, but they’re bloody gems!

Side note: I wrote this at 12pm after not having slept yet so as usual in my sleepy states I tend to be a bit more like this and just write what I’m feeling at the time (even as I write). :D

Love the soundtrack to this game! I even have the playlist on my apple music to get myself psyched up on the way home from work (sad I know haha).

My personal favourite by far is 4H30 - Danger!! A proper racing tune if you ask me!

If you’re a fan of Danger I highly recommended his debut album. His contributions to the Furi soundtrack, not to mention a few others, are also worth a listen. The game’s pretty half decent as well, but it’s brutally hard. Makes the Red Bull challenge in GT5 look tame ha!

Back