Gran Turismo FIA Online Championship World Final Preview: Glory Awaits

3hln6p.jpg

My opinion on the finals
Manufacturers Series
The cleanest out of the ones i have watched with the right amount of mess.1st race standard stuff the 2nd race was quite nice and then PD had to ruin all of this ... i mean why the 🤬 would they use a 🤬 japanese highway for the grand final ? It went all kinds of wrong (as expected) allowing Toyota to run away with it (We really need the newest cars next sesson).
Nations Cup
Again the cleanest so far but @TRL LIGHTNING smashed it! in part due to Miyazono and the others showing as much concistency as Pierre Gasly at Red Bull that aside i saw many blame the combo of the second race but i "blame" the drivers because they were all fine in the dry i will however blame the dirty air for race 1 .
Last but not least the commentary was fine but a bit repetitive and with all due respect to Tom Brooks he was a bit over enthusiastic if i played a drinking game when i took a shot everytime he said "Gran Turismo Championchips" ,"World final" etc i would've ended up in the hospital or with 4th stage of alcoholism , and for the love of Gran Turismo do not put Jamie Chadwick on commentary she seemed as intrested as me at school for the first two periods every morning she even said her favorite GR.3 car was the Super Formula on the Q&A .

Time for a debriefing, straight forward without much filters:

With the Jaguar teammates, we had a lot of hopes regarding this World Finals. Out of the 3 races, only 1 were really bad for us on paper: Dragon Trail Gardens II.

Anyway, after the Free Practice, we all comfirmed that I will do the Overall Qualifier, a first for me in Manufacturer Series. Unfortunately, it was a slipstream festival where you have to be given a tow. If you remember Monza F1 GP's Qualifying this year, it was the same if not worse. Anyway, I've managed to juuuuuust make the 6th Time, putting Jaguar for the first time into the Top 6 Shootout, where @HellzFire was behind the wheel. As he mentionned, even with an optimal time, we'd start 6th so no surprise here.

This time, I'm making the start of the race, on Dragon Trail Gardens II, another first time for me in Manufacturer Series. The two first corners went as good as it could be, jumping from P6 to P4. Only lost P4 to Chevrolet who was significantly faster than I was. Sadly, the lack of pace striked back, even with the best efforts of my teammates. We finish in P9, and during FP, we were only 11th fastest car out of 12. No surprises then.

Laguna Seca! A track where we should have climbed the rankings but we didn't. Pace was here but an unfortunate corkscrew made us lose around 10 seconds. I was driving when it happened and my teammates can definitively say I wasn't happy in the radio, no one else heard me that mad :boggled:. A race to forget definitively.

Soooo, the big one! Tokyo! This time I start the race, on hard compounds. I knew my pace was good there and made some positions (up to P4 from P9?). But since we had almost 0 chance to make it to the podium, our strat was to have some fun and see how it goes! We even went up to P2 :)

But in the end, P9 in the World Finals is our worst result but we can't blame ourselves much I believe. It is podium or nothing so even with P4, it doesn't change the outcome.

On a personal note, I really felt that I grew up between my first and second World Finals, which is appreciable!

On a side note, I can't wait for the day where the Pro-Am where L. Hamilton drove is uploaded :D

Everyone gets paid to run these world class events except for the drivers. Contrast that to F1 where the drivers are the highest paid members of the team. Sim racing is a funny low paying world.

Very strange that absentee Maestro Lewis Hamilton couldn't be bothered to show up for the final, yet Max Verstappen shows up and has nothing to do with the making of GT Sport.

Congrats to Hizal.
Looking at the way the World Tour is branded you can tell its main goal is to promote the game itself. Nothing wrong with that of course, but if it were like a more traditional esport you'd be seeing cash prizes and players in their own branded jerseys and liveries.

I guess you can consider it more like the Olympics than the Premier League.

re Lewis: Hamilton may have had other commitments; he did show up on an earlier day though.

Debriefing time.

Nations

Decent qualy 13th overall, had 3 options for the starting grid: 4th at race A, 5th race B, 6th race C (the only one i really trained)
Awful performance with a lot of mistakes in Semi-B, plus the fact that the format ripped off the strategy factor, which IMO, made it quite boring tbf.
For repechage i got car that i honestly felt it slow and dumb compared to the Focus that i tried on practice, but regardless, i commited a mistake at corkscrew, which made me lost 4 positions. Was a complete dissapointment overall.
Regarding the final races, it probably was the most boring Final ever since FIA GT Championships. Lack of strategies, lots of dirty air, massive distance in the starting grid (race 2). Something that probably everyone who watched is aware. All tho, @TRL LIGHTNING driving was impecable. Not only today, but the whole year, so very happy for him !

Manufacturers

Qualyfing was absolutly ridiculous. Based on slipstream, and on a track that exposed massive difference between car's performance.
As usual , Aston Martin started from the back. This time, dead last (Even tho @GumballCGT's lap time wasn't bad at all).
Good thing is that we planned strategies that ended up working perfectly, plus driving with of the 3 of us was pretty solid. We jumped pretty relaxed with no expectations, and we almost got a podium!! It was just an incredible last lap battle between @Tidgney 's Audi and Ayumu. Due the incident on the hairpin, the Alfa overtook us both, and so as the Chevy, which put us on a respectable 4th Overall. (If you would have told us that we would get a 4th place we woudn't believe it for a second).
It was kind of an easy win for Toyota, but the team was also OP. All 3 drivers did incredible, and they deserve the title.
Looking forward to comeback in both championships and meet all the crew again.

Thank you all for the support !

Debriefing time.

Nations

Decent qualy 13th overall, had 3 options for the starting grid: 4th at race A, 5th race B, 6th race C (the only one i really trained)
Awful performance with a lot of mistakes in Semi-B, plus the fact that the format ripped off the strategy factor, which IMO, made it quite boring tbf.
For repechage i got car that i honestly felt it slow and dumb compared to the Focus that i tried on practice, but regardless, i commited a mistake at corkscrew, which made me lost 4 positions. Was a complete dissapointment overall.
Regarding the final races, it probably was the most boring Final ever since FIA GT Championships. Lack of strategies, lots of dirty air, massive distance in the starting grid (race 2). Something that probably everyone who watched is aware. All tho, @TRL LIGHTNING driving was impecable. Not only today, but the whole year, so very happy for him !

Manufacturers

Qualyfing was absolutly ridiculous. Based on slipstream, and on a track that exposed massive difference between car's performance.
As usual , Aston Martin started from the back. This time, dead last (Even tho @GumballCGT's lap time wasn't bad at all).
Good thing is that we planned strategies that ended up working perfectly, plus driving with of the 3 of us was pretty solid. We jumped pretty relaxed with no expectations, and we almost got a podium!! It was just an incredible last lap battle between @Tidgney 's Audi and Ayumu. Due the incident on the hairpin, the Alfa overtook us both, and so as the Chevy, which put us on a respectable 4th Overall. (If you would have told us that we would get a 4th place we woudn't believe it for a second).
It was kind of an easy win for Toyota, but the team was also OP. All 3 drivers did incredible, and they deserve the title.
Looking forward to comeback in both championships and meet all the crew again.

Thank you all for the support !
Also, incredible performance by @Dodge Lamb in both championships! Very happy for you!

Just finished catching up watching all the races on YT. Simply amazing performance by Mik. Winning is one thing, but consistently running away from the field on tracks and cars which favour slipstreaming (which actually makes starting on pole disadvantageous) is simply on another level. Kept his cool throughout, raced cleanly (seriously people, learn from the Monza race how to defend on straights without blocking) and pushed hard at the right times. Well deserved title, no one else could do a better job than that really 👍 Also respect for prioritising your studies next year. Even though you can clearly have a good career in e-sports it's always smart to have backup.

Manufacturer was a consolation of sorts for Fraga. Toyota really lucked out with their tyre strategy in Tokyo and managed to build that gap which seals the title. Feel really sorry for Tidgney and his last lap spin. Would've been heroic for Audi to be on podium but we got Alfa instead so that's ok too :D Now who's gonna carry Mazda and Lambo next year? They're the only two brands not to be in any live event so far.

The only thing I couldn't figure out though is how they decided the starting order for the first Nations Final race? I recall Makozi got the fastest time in the qualifier (by 0.001 secs)?

Also, I was really looking forward to seeing Lewis in the Pro-Am race. C'mon PD, that's just false advertising when you say he's participating but it's not in the official stream :grumpy:

Last edited:
Just finished catching up watching all the races on YT. Simply amazing performance by Mik. Winning is one thing, but consistently running away from the field on tracks and cars which favour slipstreaming (which actually makes starting on pole disadvantageous) is simply on another level. Kept his cool throughout, raced cleanly (seriously people, learn from the Monza race how to defend on straights properly) and pushed hard at the right times. Well deserved title, no one else could do a better job than that really 👍 Also respect for prioritising your studies next year. Even though you can clearly have a good career in e-sports it's always smart to have backup.

Manufacturer was a consolation of sorts for Fraga. Toyota really lucked out with their tyre strategy in Tokyo and managed to build that gap which seals the title. Feel really sorry for Tidgney and his last lap spin. Would've been heroic for Audi to be on podium but we got Alfa instead so that's ok too :D Now who's gonna carry Mazda and Lambo next year? They're the only two brands not to be in any live event so far.

The only thing I couldn't figure out though is how they decided the starting order for the first Nations Final race? I recall Makozi got the fastest time in the qualifier (by 0.001 secs)?

Also, I was really looking forward to seeing Lewis in the Pro-Am race. C'mon PD, that's just false advertising when you say he's participating but it's not in the official stream :grumpy:

Thank you mate. If you mean by standing order for the Qualifying then they were having a look on the semi final results. Like SF A P1 starts his lap as the final one while the guy who finished P3 on the repechage was starting his lap first.

Thank you mate. If you mean by standing order for the Qualifying then they were having a look on the semi final results. Like SF A P1 starts his lap as the final one while the guy who finished P3 on the repechage was starting his lap first.

Ah so they have another qualifying session before the Monza Gr.2 race? That wasn't shown on the stream so I thought the order was based on either the first quali, semi final results or points. Which was confusing because how do you decide who gets pole among the winners of SF A/B/C for example :P

Ah so they have another qualifying session before the Monza Gr.2 race? That wasn't shown on the stream so I thought the order was based on either the first quali, semi final results or points. Which was confusing because how do you decide who gets pole among the winners of SF A/B/C for example :P

Yes we had another qualifying. It was also shown on the stream. I think it was within the first 30 minutes but you can check that by yourself ^^

Yes we had another qualifying. It was also shown on the stream. I think it was within the first 30 minutes but you can check that by yourself ^^

On checking yes it is shown at the start. I might've skipped that part when watching at first. Trying to watch 10+ hours worth of racing in one day is killer on your attention span :lol:

Once again, my races went badly thanks to being taken out by other people, this has become the normal unfortunately and I never really had a fair shot to race for the podium (specifically in nations) even though I should have had 2 very likely chances. I'd say Tokyo probably hurt the most, even though much more went wrong in Germany.

After reflecting on all of the world tours since Germany, I found that either myself or a manufacturer teammate (but mostly myself) were taken out in at least 13 separate incidents (and I only counted the big, race ruining ones). Yes, that thirteen is not a typo. So that's an AVERAGE of being taken out almost 3 times per event since Nurburgring, and that is bearing in mind the fact that there weren't really any incidents for me in NY, which I am infinitely thankful for.

I am making a video with a friend on the subject, but it might not be done for a few weeks because it is final exam time.

I've seen countless people circulating the #justiceforbrooks, and it is very nice to see that people are being supportive. I know a few people criticized me for whining and complaining, and that's ok. I don't think they have a ground to stand on regarding this matter until they are put in a similar extreme situation, so I just tune them out. Even Jimmy Broadbent said in his excellent commentary that if he were me, he would have probably disconnected the TGT and chucked it across the room after everything that happened, lol.

Losing chance after chance of trying to do something useful in your life makes hundreds of hours of practice in the FIA feel like a waste, so let's make it into something positive.

PLEASE let's have a WT in Canada next year!! It would mean so much and be a dream come true. In addition, I legitimately believe it would also make an exceptional venue for an event like this, especially in a fast growing and diverse city like Toronto, or maybe even Montreal
#WTCanada2020
Please help me spread the word!

P.S big congratulations to both @TRL LIGHTNING and @Dodge Lamb , two stand up people who I am very happy to see do well.

Last edited:
Once again, my races went badly thanks to being taken out by other people, this has become the normal unfortunately and I never really had a fair shot to race for the podium (specifically in nations) even though I should have had 2 very likely chances. I'd say Tokyo probably hurt the most, even though much more went wrong in Germany.

After reflecting on all of the world tours since Germany, I found that either myself or a manufacturer teammate (but mostly myself) were taken out in at least 13 separate incidents (and I only counted the big, race ruining ones). Yes, that thirteen is not a typo. So that's an AVERAGE of being taken out almost 3 times per event since Nurburgring, and that is bearing in mind the fact that there weren't really any incidents for me in NY, which I am infinitely thankful for.

I am making a video with a friend on the subject, but it might not be done for a few weeks because it is final exam time.

I've seen countless people circulating the #justiceforbrooks, and it is very nice to see that people are being supportive. I know a few people criticized me for whining and complaining, and that's ok. I don't think they have a ground to stand on regarding this matter until they are put in a similar extreme situation, so I just tune them out. Even Jimmy Broadbent said in his excellent commentary that if he were me, he would have probably disconnected the TGT and chucked it across the room after everything that happened, lol.

Losing chance after chance of trying to do something useful in your life makes hundreds of hours of practice in the FIA feel like a waste, so let's make it into something positive.

PLEASE let's have a WT in Canada next year!! It would mean so much and be a dream come true. In addition, I legitimately believe it would also make an exceptional venue for an event like this, especially in a fast growing and diverse city like Toronto.
#WTCanada2020 is
Please help me spread the word!

P.S big congratulations to both @TRL LIGHTNING and @Dodge Lamb , two stand up people who I am very happy to see do well.
We're going to change ****** in the GTP swear filter from "******" to "Brooksed".

Good job Mikail.
Now.... when will we see you fighting the big boys on iRacing?
I want to see you beating Sebastian Job, Greger Huttu, Josh K Rodgers... that's when you know you're really great because, GTSport is too fake and you know that.

Good job Mikail.
I want to see you beating Sebastian Job, Greger Huttu, Josh K Rodgers... that's when you know you're really great because, GTSport is too fake and you know that.

First of all thank you but would you consider the guys like Igor who's a F3 driver, GT sport World champion and mclaren shadow winner, coque, Cody and all the other guys bad too? Personally I would like to try out iracing too but I don't want to pay for a game consistently. And GT sport isn't fake. It's not the most realistic sim but it teaches you race craft, strategy and how to drive. Was driving the 370Z GT4 last year and the experience was very similar!

Last edited:
Good job Mikail.
Imo whatever feels fake or not to you, Gran Turismo managed to bring so many players into professional real racing world and attract those who are driving (I didn't know who David Perrel was until SuperGT put a video of racing with him), Igor Fraga was someone i never knew until i learned he races F3.
This has been going before GT Sport mind you, GT Academy is a good proof

Saw a nice Forbes write up on the Finals.

The finals of Gran Turismo World Tour in Monaco are turning into something much more than an international eSports tournament. Now in its second year, this new FIA-certified championship is creating its own unique global automotive culture that involves 56 drivers from 20 countries, the motorsports governing body—the FIA, major sponsors such as Michelin and TAG Heuer, world champion racing drivers and manufacturers such as Toyota and Lamborghini, just to mention a few. ....

https://www.forbes.com/sites/peterl...ld-status-to-unique-car-culture/#7700ace5719d

Good job Mikail.

The big boys should come to GT and fight there.. ?

And there is no doubt, unless you are ignorant, that being fast in GT-Sport can be translated to being fast in "real life" racing, we have plenty of examples of this. So no matter how realistic you think GT-Sport is, the fast drivers are very realistic fast.

Congrats to lightning definetly his best performance.
Event was great and the races are slowly getting cleaner.
Tom and Jimmy with the great commentary as always and Julia is always great.
Loving the racing drivers making cameos in these events would love to see jamie as a regular in world tours its great to have women drivers in esports championships,max verstappen was a surprise.
Always wanted that center cockpit replay angle for the events and it seems the cockpit camera that looks into the corners is back from the gt sport demo
Felt sorry for Fraga but it is what it is,great drivers also have bad days.
Kaz needs to compete in the pro am races we dont really know how good he is at his own games.

First of all thank you but would you consider the guys like Igor who's a F3 driver, GT sport World champion and mclaren shadow winner, coque, Cody and all the other guys bad too? Personally I would like to try out iracing too but I don't want to pay for a game consistently. And GT sport isn't fake. It's not the most realistic sim but it teaches you race craft, strategy and how to drive. Was driving the 370Z GT4 last year and the experience was very similar!
Hi Mikail, thanks for your response. It's not everyday you have a reply from a world champion :)
Now, I didn't say anyone's bad! By the contrary, I think you, Igor, Coque and everyone participating in such an event are very talented people and I think I made that clear. Now, yeah, GTSport is not the summit of racing simulation as you agreed so once again I post my wish to see such great talent being applied in the right place.
And another thing ... the calm and focusing you show in your driving is truly inspiring.
Cheers buddy.

Somewhat in the same vein, I do wonder if you have any interest in other sims? I see you also play Driveclub (and also has world record on some tracks - I saw your name on the leaderboard the other day). And we all know how much you also love the older GT games. Maybe now that you've "conquered" the world of GT, do you also want to try other sim esports? Maybe not iRacing if it's too expensive, but Assetto, rFactor, PCARS, Codemasters F1, Dirt Rally, etc. I have no doubt that you'll be as fast in other games too and wouldn't it be cool to be the first "Triple Crown" winner of sim racing instead of being just a champion in one game? :D

Somewhat in the same vein, I do wonder if you have any interest in other sims? I see you also play Driveclub (and also has world record on some tracks - I saw your name on the leaderboard the other day). And we all know how much you also love the older GT games. Maybe now that you've "conquered" the world of GT, do you also want to try other sim esports? Maybe not iRacing if it's too expensive, but Assetto, rFactor, PCARS, Codemasters F1, Dirt Rally, etc. I have no doubt that you'll be as fast in other games too and wouldn't it be cool to be the first "Triple Crown" winner of sim racing instead of being just a champion in one game? :D

There is one thing I already know. I will never quit playing and competing in GT. As for the other simracing games I obviously have an interest on it but mainly those 24H races xD

Back