Gran Turismo makes me look bad

• Thread starter Herrybo79
  • 131 comments
I don't understand how anyone can at that video think that OP has anywhere near the level of overlap for those rules to apply, the contact occurred behind the rear wheel arch of the leading car - that's nowhere near enough overlap to have any rights to the corner, in fact there's basically no overlap at all until moment of impact. I've got some free time so decided to take some screenshots to show how black and white this incident is.

Here is the moment of impact, even with the slight angle 100% clear he isn't even close to being halfway alongside the defender, or got his front wheels ahead of the defenders rear wheels:

P7SsCdz.png

This view also paints a damning picture, if you can see the entire rear wheel of the defender at this point, you're dive bombing:

vJqK25T.png

I also want to point out why this move was always doomed to fail and why any expectation of space is folly. This screenshot was taken at the moment the defender begins to brake:

qPU9a9s.png

Look at the rear view mirror, what do you see? Not much, absolutely no indication that the attacker is about to dive up the inside, so no reason not to follow the normal racing line.

Now this screenshot is from the moment the defender begins to turn into the corner:

CGTCRTp.png

The attacker is now looming large but look where he is, still on the racing line on the outside and only just beginning to turn in himself. This makes it impossible for the defender to leave because right up until the point he begins turning into the corner there is nothing that suggests he needs to. No matter how much you think the door might be open you can't expect someone to leave you space when you don't make your move until after the turn begins. Professional drivers would struggle to predict a move like that, let alone a bunch of wannabes on an online racing sim.

One important principle professional drivers mention when overtaking is making sure the other guys knows you're there, if still you're behind him when he begins to turn into the corner you there is no way possible for him to know that you're about to dive up the inside. If you're going to make a move like that you need to face up to the fact that you're not a clean racer because the move is almost certain to result in a collision and ruin the race for the car you're attempting to pass.

Last edited:
My general rule is that if the following driver does not pull out of line by the time we are within around 150 or so meters of a braking zone then Im assuming hes not going to attempt the pass and I attempt the corner as I normally would. If he does pull out of line and is within a couple of car lengths I'll go wide in the corner and leave him room to attempt the pass. This is how I handle racing against strangers.

As for making passes myself, if Im not within a car length approaching the corner, I never ever try it because more often then not he will not see or expect me to be there, rightfully.

A quick story...I was in one of those indoor electric go kart tracks that go 30, 40mph. I was trying to go around a guy on the outside along a fast sweeping bend. He didnt see me. He hit me and shot my kart straight into the wall at a very high speed almost head on. Being a real racing noob I left my hands on the wheel which resulted in me hurting my wrist. I also discovered a golf ball size bruise on my back later that evening. The lesson I learned? Never, ever trust random drivers to understand racecraft or display situational awareness. Its just not going to happen.

Expecting someone to see you coming from 8 car lengths back into a tricky tight corner thats difficult to take by yourself let alone 2 wide is not the right mindset to have. Attempting the pass on an experienced driver that you trust would have been difficult. Attempting to pass in that turn at all is extremely risky. I think people need to understand that even if a track has 15 turns, usually only 2 or 3 are safe places to pass.
If your exit speed is greater than his you can catch him before the next corner anyway haha. A lot of kids on game, not real life, no monetary loss in games. why I wish there was damage, race over.

There's no debate here, you were not along side, made your maneuver after the turning point. All of this puts you at fault but the nail in the coffin is that you failed to avoid an easily avoidable second collision. Once the door had closed you should have been on the brakes. First collision: silly but understandable from a rookie perspective. Second collision: Completely avoidable but you took no measures to even prevent it. In some series this could even be a black flag offence.

The problem in GT Sport community is the no idea how to race and over take. This kind of contact happen in any SR division. Less in higher level but still happen.

Let me explain this better, the driver behind had no near the possibility to overtake him. If you are behind youhave to know that the driver in front of you can brake early or late. If you are behind you should know that sometimes you can't brake where you are used to. Sometimes some people tell me that can brake at 100 mt, I tell them, sure you can, but if you brake 15 mt early you can have a better exit speed. They seems to not understand this logic. In this situation the OP should have know that he didn't have the space to pass him, brake early to try to carry more speed trought the exit to make a clean pass before the end of the long sector with fast corners. If he was less aggressive he would have done a clean overtake after the straight.

The problem in GT Sport community is the no idea how to race and over take. This kind of contact happen in any SR division. Less in higher level but still happen.

Let me explain this better, the driver behind had no near the possibility to overtake him. If you are behind youhave to know that the driver in front of you can brake early or late. If you are behind you should know that sometimes you can't brake where you are used to. Sometimes some people tell me that can brake at 100 mt, I tell them, sure you can, but if you brake 15 mt early you can have a better exit speed. They seems to not understand this logic.

Spot on. Take Interlargos turn 1 as your example.
Clear track: 75m
First lap (Pole): 50m
First lap (midfield): 80m - 120m
Convoy (raceline) 120m
Convoy (inside line to outbrake): 80m

How you enter this corner has a huge influence on your race times and 100% of time you will out drag for an overtake approaching turn 4

Yeah that entrance into the corner was poorly executed, don't take the inside if the car in front of you has the line or this is what happens. If the Ferrari was turning wide then you would've been able to get by but he was taking his line into the corner the same time you were cutting in.

The other day I had this exact situation happen and I had the chance to overtake the car in front of me but decided to drop back and overtake the car later instead of take the chance in the corner.

Spot on. Take Interlargos turn 1 as your example.
Clear track: 75m
First lap (Pole): 50m
First lap (midfield): 80m - 120m
Convoy (raceline) 120m
Convoy (inside line to outbrake): 80m

How you enter this corner has a huge influence on your race times and 100% of time you will out drag for an overtake approaching turn 4

The problem in GT Sport is because most off the people are not use to the Online Race. The GT Series was heavily inffuelnce with the off line camping, where people used the IA cars as a wall to brake late and make the turn. Now this **** doesn't work. I play GT Sport for the sake of fun, because I play in a private league in AC and PJC2, where people know how to overtake and how in important is the speed you carry outside of a corner and the optimal apex.

In Interlagos, most off the people force the overtake on the inside on the first S braking at 40mt. They think that is smart, but they ignore that they have way way less speed on the exit for the long straight because they miss the apex.

After 1 Month playing i See myself here as a diveBomb, all good....
Good to see drivers learn from their mistakes, we all make them, if we would all try to learn from them driving online would be better.

Sad to see there are still some that think the Ferrari was at fault even when there is an entire thread of experienced drivers explaining why he is not. If u believe that then you are part of the problem. Hope some day these people will start to learn like OP.

Let me explain this better, the driver behind had no near the possibility to overtake him. If you are behind youhave to know that the driver in front of you can brake early or late. If you are behind you should know that sometimes you can't brake where you are used to. Sometimes some people tell me that can brake at 100 mt, I tell them, sure you can, but if you brake 15 mt early you can have a better exit speed. They seems to not understand this logic. In this situation the OP should have know that he didn't have the space to pass him, brake early to try to carry more speed trought the exit to make a clean pass before the end of the long sector with fast corners. If he was less aggressive he would have done a clean overtake after the straight.
Now take the ferrari out of the picture, {this happens in Moto GP all the time} dive bomber dips inside hard runs wide and ferrari overtakes back inside when no contact occurs.

Latest Posts

Back