Gran Turismo Movie Thread

• Thread starter ro_har_
  • 1,255 comments
This is the discussion thread for an article on GTPlanet:

New Gran Turismo Movie Trailer Screened at CinemaCon 2023

The first trailer for the upcoming Gran Turismo feature film was screened to a limited audience at Sony Pictures’ CinemaCon 2023 presentation in Las Vegas. Two of the film’s most well-known stars, Orlando Bloom and David Harbour, also made a special appearance to reveal the new footage...

Last edited:
This is the discussion thread for an article on GTPlanet:

New Gran Turismo Movie Trailer Screened at CinemaCon 2023

The first trailer for the upcoming Gran Turismo feature film was screened to a limited audience at Sony Pictures’ CinemaCon 2023 presentation in Las Vegas. Two of the film’s most well-known stars, Orlando Bloom and David Harbour, also made a special appearance to reveal the new footage...
@Jordan,
Is the movie widespread or platform release?

Last edited:
Its difficult to make a bad flick with such talented actors. I'm sure it will be good due to the talent, but production would really have to go out of their way to balls it up at this point.

Last edited:
... aaaand I'm out. I do love GT, but I couldn't really care any less about the gamer to racer aspect. I'd rather watch a non-dramatised documentary about Jann's career, with GT academy only being a small part of the story, and then sit and watch 2 hours of best motoring clips to get my GT fix.

First trailer

looks so bad I couldn’t make it past 30 seconds.

Can’t wait for them to try and tie this in with the yearly GT World Series final event that is scheduled 3 months after the film releases with the surprise that the winner gets to drive a real race car on a real track for 1 lap to make it all come to life! one might think it might even be a planed tie in🙄

…please don’t be so corney PD/Sony, just give all that money that would be spent to the winner

Might be a bit too late to be doing a Speed Racer + Fast & Furious = Freejack shudders :lol: Who knows? I took a gamble and spent my money to see the first FF movie. Gran Turismo could be entertaining.

Anyway, glad to have actually read about and see(on tv) the real Jann.

I do not understand why Sony refuses to use the actual Gran Turismo logo on a movie that their Film division is bankrolling, even though it's clearly going to be all over the goddamned place in the movie. I know it's minor, but it irks the absolute bejesus out of me.

Otherwise, it's pretty mid imo. Doesn't look like the worst trailer I've ever seen for a movie, but I'm definitely not expecting greatness.

Every single "gameplay" detail I can gather:

The original announcement trailer, for some reason....

Screenshot (335).png
Screenshot (339).png

PSX 2021 Trailer.

Screenshot (333).png
Screenshot (334).png

User interface circa the November 2022 update.

Screenshot (332).png

They didn't even bother to use ACTUAL GAMEPLAY FOOTAGE, instead they reused the 2021 PSX trailer footage.

Note "Cabernet" and how he's not even turning the wheel.

Screenshot (331).png

The most convincing UI ever made.

Screenshot (336).png

Savegame belongs to someone Hungarian under the PSN name "TECHNIKRS4".

Screenshot (337).png

"Gameplay", with a watermark AND a camera angle that is REPLAY exclusive.

Screenshot (338).png

992 GT3 Cup 3D model, which at the moment appears in....

checks igcd.net

ACC AND IRACING?!?

What a way to bend the rules of Gran Turismo.

Screenshot (340).png
Screenshot (341).png

Then what's with the Hungarian flag?
Given all the other incongruous namings in the images, I'm guessing they just changed the display name (but not the PSNID) for an existing account for some quick shots, and the account happened to be Hungarian because they spent four weeks in Hungary filming.

Last edited:

View attachment 1252886View attachment 1252895

PSX 2021 Trailer.

View attachment 1252882View attachment 1252884

View attachment 1252881

They didn't even bother to use ACTUAL GAMEPLAY FOOTAGE, instead they reused the 2021 PSX trailer footage.

View attachment 1252878

View attachment 1252890

View attachment 1252891

View attachment 1252893

checks igcd.net

ACC AND IRACING?!?

View attachment 1252897View attachment 1252899
Some more details
---

Running exercises on the Nurburgring(?)

Screen Shot 2023-05-02 at 11.01.58 AM.png

Huracan GT3 included as the "villain" car, but didn't enter service until 2016 season. Well after Jann's time in GTA and also the final year GTA operated, not the start.

Screen Shot 2023-05-02 at 11.02.42 AM.png

Also in the conflict shot you can see it missing the diffuser so likely not a GT3-spec used for filming if this wasn't entirely CGI.

Screen Shot 2023-05-02 at 11.05.15 AM.png

Corvette C8.R included in the RBR shots (2020 debut)

Screen Shot 2023-05-02 at 11.03.22 AM.png

The prototype crash+flip scene likely inspired by the 2012 crash between Toyota #8 and Ferrari #81 where Anthony Davidson suffered fractured vertabrae.

Screen Shot 2023-05-02 at 11.06.54 AM.png

The prototypes included in filming are Ligier. The LMP3 is featured in some shots...

1683041057701.png

and the prototype featured in rolling shots is the non-homologated JS PX track-toy.

Screen Shot 2023-05-02 at 11.08.14 AM.png

Screen Shot 2023-05-02 at 11.07.50 AM.png

And finally, very minor nitpick but they start on wets with a dry track :boggled:

1683041157046.png

Last edited:

View attachment 1252886View attachment 1252895

PSX 2021 Trailer.

View attachment 1252882View attachment 1252884

View attachment 1252881

View attachment 1252878

View attachment 1252890

View attachment 1252891

View attachment 1252893

checks igcd.net

ACC AND IRACING?!?

View attachment 1252897View attachment 1252899
Then again this brings us back to "Mise-en-scène".

Some more details
---

Running exercises on the Nurburgring?

View attachment 1252910

Huracan GT3 included as the "villain" car, but didn't enter service until 2016 season. Well after Jann's time in GTA and also the final year GTA operated, not the start.

View attachment 1252911

Also in the conflict shot you can see it missing the diffuser so likely not a GT3-spec used for filming if this wasn't entirely CGI.

View attachment 1252913

Corvette C8.R included in the RBR shots (2020 debut)

View attachment 1252914

The prototype crash+flip scene likely inspired by the 2012 crash between Toyota #8 and Ferrari #81 where Anthony Davidson suffered fractured vertabrae.

View attachment 1252915

The prototypes included in filming are Ligier. The LMP3 is featured in some shots...

View attachment 1252917

and the prototype featured in rolling shots is the non-homologated JS PX track-toy.

View attachment 1252918

View attachment 1252916

And finally, very minor nitpick but they start on wets with a dry track :boggled:

View attachment 1252919
I think the setting is modern day as if GT Academy was happening now

Hey Dave! 👋

Was it a GT3 spec for filming?
Unfortunately I am unable to share any details about the movie until the higher-ups give me permission. But I can say I have been involved since GT Planet published the announcement of Neill Blomkamp directing it. When I saw that post I cold-emailed him and he brought me onboard to help.

I was on set from day one but I haven't seen the edits.

Unfortunately I am unable to share any details about the movie until the higher-ups give me permission. But I can say I have been involved since GT Planet published the announcement of Neill Blomkamp directing it. When I saw that post I cold-emailed him and he brought me onboard to help.

I was on set from day one but I haven't seen the edits.
Exciting stuff!! You'll have to add "stunt driver" to the CV now.

Back