Gran Turismo Sport Cross Over To A Real Simulator To Satisfy The Wheel Market

• Thread starter Junkman55
  • 597 comments
Status
Not open for further replies.
Well I was in top splits for for the first few months.
I was in top splits for a long time too, those WT guys are just on another level, they are crazy fast. I got up to almost 60k and would still regularly finish 30-45s behind them at races end.

Last edited:
What do you suppose would happen if you tried to use a pad for the GT World Tour Competition? As far as I am aware the GT Tour is organized by Polyphony/Sony, the very people who made GTS and they require you to race with a wheel.
Bit of a late reply this one but... it was actually Thrustmaster who stipulated wheels must be used at the live events. The first two events (Nurburgring and Red Bull Hangar-7) everybody used wheels anyway but at the Asia/Oceania event two players opted for DS4s and Thrustmaster, as manufacturer of the official wheel and a sponsor, were not, to put it mildly, best pleased about it. Wheels have been mandatory for the live events ever since.

Source: First hand from one of the Sony/PD tech guys responsible for the PS4's at the 2018 Americas finals in Vegas (when it was held in a nightclub.)

Last edited:
52K isn't top split now though, so what was the game plan here? You'll be slumming it with the rest of us.
The game plan was to have good competitive races with a moderate amount of time spent, maybe just a few hours for one event including the race itself. They became 'crazy' fast because many were putting in unsociable amounts of time....dummy races, dummy accounts etc etc, doing Manufacturers' and Nationals as well.

As I've explained, I had no interest in learning tricks to be competitive and that's what was eventually required.
I was in top splits for a long time too, those WT guys are just on another level, they are crazy fast. I got up to almost 60k and would still regularly finish 30-45s behind them at races end.
Ignoring silly amounts of time required for practice and race prep, I would have been interested to see how I'd have faired if conditions had of gone the other way towards being "more real" instead of unreal.

Last edited:
Bit of a late reply this one but... it was actually Thrustmaster who stipulated wheels must be used at the live events. The first two events (Nurburgring and Red Bull Hangar-7) everybody used wheels anyway but at the Asia/Oceania event two players opted for DS4s and Thrustmaster, as manufacturer of the official wheel and a sponsor, were not, to put it mildly, best pleased about it. Wheels have been mandatory for the live events ever since.

Source: First hand from one of the Sony/PD tech guys responsible for the PS4's at the 2018 Americas finals in Vegas (when it was held in a nightclub.)
The reason for requiring wheels to participate in a major online racing event is to take the controller advantage out of the race it’s that simple.

Last edited:
The reason for requiring wheels to participate in a major online racing advent is to take the controller advantage out of the race it’s that simple.
Wheels have a big advantage over controllers, I'm not sure how to say this nicely but I'll get to the point. To be playing on a wheel and finish behind any controller user means you're 🤬 at the game.

Last edited:
The reason for requiring wheels to participate in a major online racing advent is to take the controller advantage out of the race it’s that simple.
No it's sponsorship. As mentioned before. Like gloves, wheels, headsets.

My guess is you've never watched a World Tour or a major online event, yet you act like you're an expert on the subject.

Sad thread. Should be closed due to the OP not even remotely interested in discussion or learning.

I've just literally told you the reason why controllers are not (now) allowed at the live events. Nothing to do with "advantage", even though tyre wear on controllers is horrendous. The manufacturer of the official wheel, whom is also a sponsor of the events, had an absolute ****-fit when they saw two people not using the wheel. It was marketing.

Its not as though I was there and got to meet Kaz, and Jimmy, and have friendly chats with the lovely Sony/PD tech staff whom I no doubt annoyed all day by being nosey but graciously didn't tell me to bugger off 🤣🤣

1628432014618.png
1628432056270.png

The game plan was to have good competitive races with a moderate amount of time spent, maybe just a few hours for one event including the race itself. They became 'crazy' fast because many were putting in unsociable amounts of time....dummy races, dummy accounts etc etc, doing Manufacturers' and Nationals as well.

As I've explained, I had no interest in learning tricks to be competitive and that's what was eventually required.

Ignoring silly amounts of time required for practice and race prep, I would have been interested to see how I'd have faired if conditions had of gone the other way towards being "more real" instead of unreal.
I also put in the silly amounts of time chasing them, I have over around 4k hours on GTS. It wasn’t for lack of effort, they are just THAT good.

Sometimes I run with my expensive gear and it goes well, but then I move closer to another car and my speed just disappears. When I ask those people in the chat they all say they use DS4 so I think the game has a secret feature that slows down when wheel users get close to pad users. If they don't, pad users will go crazy and not buy the game.

Sometimes I run with my expensive gear and it goes well, but then I move closer to another car and my speed just disappears. When I ask those people in the chat they all say they use DS4 so I think the game has a secret feature that slows down when wheel users get close to pad users. If they don't, pad users will go crazy and not buy the game.
I think what your experiencing is called dirty air.

You're literally the only person I've ever seen making this claim. Either you're experiencing "dirty air" or you're too close to the car in front to really take advantage of the slipstream effect on a straight. A third option is you're driving something without much top end, like the Gr.3 WRX (which can sometimes get left behind, even in a slipstream, if its behind a top-end car thats behind another top-end car... think Gr.3 McLaren F1 pulling a Gr.3 GTR along, they will pull away from a WRX as if its wheels feel off!).

Oh, fourth option: a combination of all three.

Wheels have a big advantage over controllers, I'm not sure how to say this nicely but I'll get to the point. To be playing on a wheel and finish behind any controller user means you're 🤬 at the game.
It doesn’t matter which controller has the advantage in online racing , if there is any advantage of one over the other that is the problem. That is the only reason why there is only one controller use in major online event.

Last edited:
It doesn’t matter witch controller has the advantage in online racing , if there is any advantage of one over the other that is the problem. That is the only reason why there is only one controller use in major online advents .
Marketing/Ad Revenue/Sales. Nothing Else.

If this is serious:
Game Show Genius GIF by ABC Network

If high quality sarcasm:
chicago fire GIF by NBC

It doesn’t matter witch controller has the advantage in online racing , if there is any advantage of one over the other that is the problem. That is the only reason why there is only one controller use in major online event.
I fully agree with you. They banned players from using the shifters because of the unfair advantage, they should take that a step further and ban the steering wheels, if you think about it it's the only logical solution. If we are all playing on the standard controller which came with the console it will be a fair playing field for all and get rid of the 'pay-to-win' system once and for all 👍.

I also put in the silly amounts of time chasing them, I have over around 4k hours on GTS. It wasn’t for lack of effort, they are just THAT good.
Yeah I mean on occasion I have faced Fraga and others and EVEN ON MY BEST COMBO, being for me in the zone, doing my absolute best, on wheel, on big screen, I will be 1-1.5 seconds PER LAP slower and more on combos that aren’t my absolute favorite.
It’s the same in any sport-you can have 2 people who dedicate their life and effort and time equally but another may work less and perform better.
We are all human and not all humans have equal capability in all areas.

The absolute best thing about online gaming is not knowing what others are using to control the in game car imo.
The more the merrier!

1628442152271.png

Last edited:
I fully agree with you. They banned players from using the shifters because of the unfair advantage, they should take that a step further and ban the steering wheels, if you think about it it's the only logical solution. If we are all playing on the standard controller which came with the console it will be a fair playing field for all and get rid of the 'pay-to-win' system once and for all 👍.
The advantage of one controller over the other is Reaction Response Time getting the same inputs in a race. The Transmission would come under BOP for that car and race if we are talking about a need for a shifter.

The advantage of one controller over the other is Reaction Response Time getting the same inputs in a race. The Transmission would come under BOP for that car and race if we are talking about a need for a shifter.
You're showing your lack of knowledge again. What @GOTMAXPOWER was referring to in regards to the unfair advantage with the shifter was a very well known exploit where people were using both a shifter and the paddles to gain time on those who used a paddles or DS4. @Pigems explains it well in the quote below.
The biggest advantage didn’t come from using the H shifter alone apparently, there were/are tricks/glitches in the way people were using it that made it even faster than it should have been. People could switch back and forth between shifter and paddles constantly for the quickest shift. From what I’ve read people using these tricks would downshift with the paddles because it was faster and eliminates missed gears, but upshift 1-2 and 2-3 with the shifter because it’s faster than the paddles shift, but shifts 3-4, 4-5 and 5-6 would again use paddles because the game simulates those shifts fairly quickly in most cars and it removes the chances of a missed gear.

But this it where the real trick happens, most cars have one shift that is the slower than the rest, in a lot of cases it’s 1-2 or 2-3, for this example let’s say the cars slowest shift is 2-3. Here how it works, your in 6th gear and coming to a hairpin, so what you could do was downshift with paddles to 4th, then downshift to 3rd with the stick, then use the paddles again to down shift to 2nd from there for the corner leaving the stick in 3rd, then when exiting the corner instead of using the paddle or stick(because this is the cars slowest shift) to upshift you just hit the clutch and because the stick is in 3rd already the cars skips instantly into 3rd, eliminating the slowest shift, then use paddles again the rest of the way to 6th.

Or from the standing start, again we’ll use shift 2-3 as the cars slowest shift. Before the start you put the stick in 3rd, then downshift to 1st with the paddles, race starts and you take off in 1st, use paddles to shift to 2nd, then when it time for the slowest shift to 3rd you again just hit the clutch and the car jumps to 3rd near instantly and you shoot ahead of others using paddles/DS4’s.

PD should have nerfed these glitches, not the clutch/shifter.
For a visual reference there's this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back