IMG_0748.gif

Flight sim = joystick>pad
Shooter = mouse/keyboard > pad
Wii Olympics = pad+adapters>pad+nothing
Guitar hero = Guitar>pad

BUT WAIT!!!!

Racing Game = pad>wheel

neil patrick harris mind blown GIF
I think it just so happens to be that it's relatively easy with the technology to get the basic driving position that is comparable to the real thing so you get the immersion. I'd say the immersion probably helps with the level of focus as well.

This basic setup probably emerged from those who were really into driving that found racing inaccessible and were so able to normalise it for everyone else. I used it to good effect for when it came to the real thing and it's a very effective way of making you a better driver in real life, so I don't understand why so many of you have this passion for cars and yet choose to compromise your level of immersion and the experience you get from it.

You're showing your lack of knowledge again. What @GOTMAXPOWER was referring to in regards to the unfair advantage with the shifter was a very well known exploit where people were using both a shifter and the paddles to gain time on those who used a paddles or DS4. @Pigems explains it well in the quote below.

For a visual reference there's this.

You show me a Youtube video that was made back in 2019 about shifter vs paddles are you for real. I am talking about Reaction Response Time between using one fingers on a DS4 and a leg and foot for braking with a wheel setup in a racing environment.

You show me a Youtube video that was made back in 2019 about shifter vs paddles are you for real. I am talking about Reaction Response Time between using one fingers on a DS4 and a leg and foot for braking with a wheel setup in a racing environment.
Because that's when it happened... and I was talking about this part of your reply:
The Transmission would come under BOP for that car and race if we are talking about a need for a shifter.
The point that was made to you about the shifter was:
They banned players from using the shifters because of the unfair advantage, they should take that a step further and ban the steering wheels, if you think about it it's the only logical solution. If we are all playing on the standard controller which came with the console it will be a fair playing field for all and get rid of the 'pay-to-win' system once and for all 👍.
You obviously didn't understand what this was referring to so that's why I showed you the clip along with the explanation.

The main point was sarcastic but you also missed that completely too!

Imagine thinking that pad > wheel because "my finger is faster than my foot"

4m74j4.jpg

I mean

1) is it though?
2) even if it is you just start the "process of reacting" early so you brake at your correct marker
3) even if we ignore the above it just ignores the extra dexterity/fluidity of a wheel/pedals, and the tyre wear benefits from that

Also, anyone saying if your so into cars why not just have a full wheel/rig, lots of people have families and kids and stuff and can't just go and spend that money or take up that space, I think that's pretty obvious stuff tbh.

Imagine thinking that pad > wheel because "my finger is faster than my foot"

View attachment 1073119

I mean

1) is it though?
2) even if it is you just start the "process of reacting" early so you brake at your correct marker
3) even if we ignore the above it just ignores the extra dexterity/fluidity of a wheel/pedals, and the tyre wear benefits from that

Also, anyone saying if your so into cars why not just have a full wheel/rig, lots of people have families and kids and stuff and can't just go and spend that money or take up that space, I think that's pretty obvious stuff tbh.
Damn I was just about to say the exact same thing but I post with my feet, you beat me to it.

Video from 2019 about the difference between paddles and shifter….

I didn’t buy a $200 shifter for the immersion, I can tell you that.

Last edited:
talking about Reaction Response Time between using one fingers on a DS4 and a leg and foot for braking with a wheel setup
What about all the players that play this game, they all have different coordination response times. So having the ability to use different parts of the body together smoothly and efficiently for example, changing from one foot position to another requires coordination and balance, and not everyone has the same coordination do they.

This is about as scientific as I have time for right now, but these guys manage to move all their limbs with perfect reaction response time.

I don't understand why so many of you have this passion for cars and yet choose to compromise your level of immersion and the experience you get from it
Despite the fact you're treading awfully close to an ableist attitude some of us love the game, and the competition and challenge of racing real people (not the frankly insulting AI) but some people have neither the space for a permanent wheel setup or inclination to keep faffing about setting up / breaking down a temporary solution, eating into often limited time, when all we want is to have a bit of fun and race.
Should we start separating younger players from older players since their reaction times regardless of equipment is generally faster than us old blokes?
Oh [invisible sky fairy] no. I'm no spring chicken any more, and while I may not be troubling the aliens, I can still quite regularly show the whippersnappers that there is life in an old dog yet. For me part of the beauty of racing pixels is that, without the physical demands of racing in the real world, sometimes age and experience can still triumph over youthful exuberance, especially for those of us that were brought up playing, and still play, video games.

The day I got forcibly stuffed into a virtual old peoples home is the day Sony no longer get my cash.

Input lag.
I had thought of that. BT v2.1 is 14 years old. PS5 is v5.1. That's a big gap.

But most comparison videos I've watched, even from the PS3, don't seem to show any latency issues. They say USB is faster in theory but it doesn't matter to the the majority of game software.

Despite the fact you're treading awfully close to an ableist attitude some of us love the game, and the competition and challenge of racing real people (not the frankly insulting AI) but some people have neither the space for a permanent wheel setup or inclination to keep faffing about setting up / breaking down a temporary solution, eating into often limited time, when all we want is to have a bit of fun and race.
And this is why I think it should be split in to two or three, because most want fun regardless of what they use to control it whilst quite a few (like me) want a simpler console version of iracing, which is easily achievable because the basic ingredients are there as it has been done in the past with properly run leagues. But they refuse to even experiment just to see what the numbers would be like.

And this is why I think it should be split in to two or three, because most want fun regardless of what they use to control it whilst quite a few (like me) want a simpler console version of iracing, which is easily achievable because the basic ingredients are there as it has been done in the past with properly run leagues. But they refuse to even experiment just to see what the numbers would be like.
I believe we have ACC for you to test that. Solid physics, lots of setups and tuning. Low numbers of drivers. Gives zero feedback on controllers so it is almost completely wheel users. Have fun

And their refusal to do so should convince you that they won't. So instead of advocating what only a very few wants to the detriment of many you could just see the writing on the wall and take your racing to somewhere where they will give you what you want. Like Assetto Corsa Competizione.
Console, almost only wheel gamers, setups and ratings.
Good luck, have fun.

The whole point of any skill based ranking system is to try and match players of equal skill no matter what, whether they're a child or an OAP, controller or wheel, fully able bodied or disabled. If someone is at the same pace as you, why would you not want to race them, solely because of some difference that you can't even see?

If you're talking about offering more sim based racing options for everyone to race in, like longer races with realistic speed tyre and fuel wear or something like that, then sure, they should give them a try and see how popular they are.

But there is absolutely no need to test out segregation based on anything other than overall skill.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back