Gran Turismo Sport Director on Career Mode changes

• Thread starter urmie
  • 69 comments
Well, there you have it.

http://wccftech.com/gran-turismo-sport-career-mode/

"Twenty years ago, when we did the first Gran Turismo, people knew what happens when you change an air filter or increased compression ratios do to your car. But the new users don’t have that knowledge anymore because they’re not as interested in the cars, so we’ve simplified [some areas of the game] so you can do the exact same thing you were doing in the past, but it’s more user-friendly for people just getting into cars."

Last edited:
Sadly that's true. Most of the "players" will buy every years iterations of the popular FPS's. As for my non GTP friends list only one person besides me has PC2 and 3 bought GT sport.

When you look at it that way, the reason for career mode being axed makes sense. The rise of social media has the younger generation more keen on spending money on technology with smart features or experiences to share on social networking sites just to portray a false representation of how interesting their lives are for likes and ultimately, acceptance from others. The desire for instant gratification makes the prospect of playing hundreds or races to acquire the most desirable vehicles look like more of a chore than a challenge for "new users". I'd say it is a blend of cars not being interesting enough to warrant hours of gameplay and the diminishing appeal of progression in which you start from the bottom.

With that said, I'm still disappointed at the direction the series has taken, but there are many other games on the market which feature offline progression and suit my tastes better so I'm not gonna dwell on it.

Sadly that's true. Most of the "players" will buy every years iterations of the popular FPS's. As for my non GTP friends list only one person besides me has PC2 and 3 bought GT sport.
Not sure what, literally, any of that has to do with the knowledge of cars.

Not sure what, literally, any of that has to do with the knowledge of cars.
That people are not interested in them in general not even in games. People I know buy NFS just for an easy platinum trophy.

Well, there you have it. Thanks 'new users'.

"Twenty years ago, when we did the first Gran Turismo, people knew what happens when you change an air filter or increased compression ratios do to your car. But the new users don’t have that knowledge anymore because they’re not as interested in the cars, so we’ve simplified [some areas of the game] so you can do the exact same thing you were doing in the past, but it’s more user-friendly for people just getting into cars."
Terrible terrible awful bloody choice. If a game for real car fans and now they are pandering to the NFS generation. Why not simply give two methods of tuning?

That people are not interested in them in general not even in games. People I know buy NFS just for an easy platinum trophy.
My brother knows a lot about cars, has built many in the garage with his own hands yet he owns a console and doesn't have one racing game or car game. There is really no correlation there for it to be compared like that.

My brother knows a lot about cars, has built many in the garage with his own hands yet he owns a console and doesn't have one racing game or car game. There is really no correlation there for it to be compared like that.
My brother know a lot about cars and has a lot of racing games too. There is a correlation. Argument as good as yours.

My brother know a lot about cars and has a lot of racing games too. There is a correlation. Argument as good as yours.
Except that's not what your point was, at all. Throwing that out there doesn't automatically validate it. You tried to connect dots as if people who buy every years iteration of an FPS don't know about cars. Which isn't the case, at all.

My brother also very much liked the look of NFS over games like GTS and Forza because of the customization aspect of it. Him liking NFS doesn't make him automatically know less. He gets his adrenaline fix from doing things like this in real life, and doesn't really find the games necessary for him. That's why you can't just lump these into groups like that.

Seems to be at odds with the current trend with the popularity in sim racing titles where there's a bit more hands on with the tuning, as opposed to pick up and run.

Well, there you have it. Thanks 'new users'.

it's just an excuse used to defend against questions about tuning/GT-Mode and stuff like that. Don't read anything else into it. Next game something will be said that directly contradicts what he says now.

Except that's not what your point was, at all. Throwing that out there doesn't automatically validate it. You tried to connect dots as if people who buy every years iteration of an FPS don't know about cars. Which isn't the case, at all.

My brother also very much liked the look of NFS over games like GTS and Forza because of the customization aspect of it. Him liking NFS doesn't make him automatically know less. He gets his adrenaline fix from doing things like this in real life, and doesn't really find the games necessary for him. That's why you can't just lump these into groups like that.
I try to explain it otherwise because I see you like to nitpick and use every occasion to run your post count higher.
The most people under 30 years old that I know don't know anything more about the cars they drive than where to put the fuel in it and even technicians I work with don't know what kind of oil their car is running on. If you ask older people about their car the knowledge rises rapidly.
In connection to that its visible that people's interest shifted and I understand the changes trying to catch a wider market.

This shows how disconnected Kaz is from the fanbase. If this is the mentality they have making this game just stop making GT and go back to Omega boost or something.

A part what he said is very true but it s not a reason to drop it because of the knowledge nowadays
GT can be a tool to teach them, sort of museum, they put it on purpose, so why not with mechanic

I try to explain it otherwise because I see you like to nitpick and use every occasion to run your post count higher.
You tried to use something you didn't say at all, to try to say that its valid. That wasn't your point, and even if it was, it's not really countering anything. In the same vein, much like this article is saying, just because people buy car games doesn't automatically mean they know more about cars too, that's why your retort didn't really do anything.

My post count is already high, and regardless of which, it's not a contest so that's an odd thing to point out. Unless you just actually view this forum like that, as a contest?

The most people under 30 years old that I know don't know anything more about the cars they drive than where to put the fuel in it and even technicians I work with don't know what kind of oil their car is running on.
And what does that do for the point you were trying to make? The one where you insinuated that those who buy FPS's every year don't know about cars, since that was the point of the article, and that is what you replied?.

Like I said, my brother doesn't care for actually playing or owning car games. He doesn't buy them but he watches me play them. He knows a crap ton about cars. Where as me, I buy literally every racing game I can get my hands on that functions as intended, doesn't matter if it's sim or arcade, and the most I can do is a basic oil change. So going off your logic, would that mean I know more about cars, since he doesn't buy car games, and chooses to buy shooters?

Except Kaz didn't say that at all and the headline of the article is not only misleading but completely false. Pretty click-bait article title, website is probably struggling for more attention/hits.

Whether you disagree with Kaz or not, if you read his quote he said is he considers Mission Challenge the same as the old GT career mode and they streamlined it into a new user interface.

“In a narrow sense, the part that was the GT Mode in the past is now called Mission Challenge,” he said. “It’s single player, there are various different types of races, from the very short to the very long, with different regulations, and you can tune up the cars that you purchased to participate in those races.”

“When people are talking about there’s no campaign mode, or no GT Mode anymore, that’s not quite true,” Yamauchi told us. “It’s just a change to the UI (user interface). All the things that you were able to do in the past in those modes are in the game.”

Instead of the familiar menu system, laid out like a map of the world with a home area that features your garage, as in previous Gran Turismo games, GT Sport features a horizontal menu with dropdrown sub-menus, much like the ones found on many websites and echoing the XMB (Xross Media Bar) found on the Playstation’s home menu.

This new approach will be alien to GT fans, but was necessary, according to Yamauchi. “Right now we have a very well organised menu and top menu, but if we’d placed all the features you see in the menus into a map format, I think they [players] would have felt it to be the exact same thing we had in the past,”​

And in regards to "players not that into cars anymore," he thinks new players aren't as interested in cars so they made the tuning settings more user friendly. He didn't make any correlation between axing a career mode and people not being into cars; in fact he never even mentioned removing the career mode.

"Twenty years ago, when we did the first Gran Turismo, people knew what happens when you change an air filter; people knew what increased compression ratios do to your car. But the new users don’t have that knowledge anymore because they’re not as interested in the cars, so we’ve simplified that area [of the game] so you can do the exact same thing you were doing in the past, but it’s more user-friendly for people just getting into cars.”​

Except Kaz didn't say that at all and the headline of the article is not only misleading but completely false. Pretty click-bait article title, website is probably struggling for more attention/hits.

Whether you disagree with Kaz or not, if you read his quote he said is he considers Mission Challenge the same as the old GT career mode and they streamlined it into a new user interface.

“In a narrow sense, the part that was the GT Mode in the past is now called Mission Challenge,” he said. “It’s single player, there are various different types of races, from the very short to the very long, with different regulations, and you can tune up the cars that you purchased to participate in those races.”

“When people are talking about there’s no campaign mode, or no GT Mode anymore, that’s not quite true,” Yamauchi told us. “It’s just a change to the UI (user interface). All the things that you were able to do in the past in those modes are in the game.”

Instead of the familiar menu system, laid out like a map of the world with a home area that features your garage, as in previous Gran Turismo games, GT Sport features a horizontal menu with dropdrown sub-menus, much like the ones found on many websites and echoing the XMB (Xross Media Bar) found on the Playstation’s home menu.

This new approach will be alien to GT fans, but was necessary, according to Yamauchi. “Right now we have a very well organised menu and top menu, but if we’d placed all the features you see in the menus into a map format, I think they [players] would have felt it to be the exact same thing we had in the past,”​

And in regards to "players not that into cars anymore," he thinks new players aren't as interested in cars so they made the tuning settings more user friendly. He didn't make any correlation between axing a career mode and people not being into cars; in fact he never even mentioned removing the career mode.

"Twenty years ago, when we did the first Gran Turismo, people knew what happens when you change an air filter; people knew what increased compression ratios do to your car. But the new users don’t have that knowledge anymore because they’re not as interested in the cars, so we’ve simplified that area [of the game] so you can do the exact same thing you were doing in the past, but it’s more user-friendly for people just getting into cars.”​
The usual news clickbait ... that letamaio the specialized press (lol) and the internet in general ....

From what I’ve been witnessing today in public lobby racing, people need to spend more time learning the tracks and how to drive properly.

Understatement of 2017.
I received an absolute bashing my first hour in public lobbies.
I quietly backed out and only race with friends now.

The article makes sense and doesn't make sense.

I know nothing about tuning cars and have played every iteration of the game, I loved the ability to adjust compression rates, gear ratios etc to get the most out of a car on tracks. Would be stoked to keep doing that.

The amount of cars IMO was too many at 1200, but 160 Is too few, they are missing so many of the cars that made GT great. Sure take away the 15 NSX's and leave 1, but why take away 90% of cars???

Yes the career mode is still there. Driver School is essentially Licences (Although lacking enough of them), Mission challenges are pretty much one of rare events, Circuit experience is to just a practice area. The race meet tournaments etc are now solely online vs other people rather than AI and to me that is a bad choice. Not everyone is good enough, has adequate internet or wants to race against random people who can at any stage just shunt you off the road.

It's kind of true, people flocking to buy sportscars that often anymore, motorsport TV ratings are down and more and more mainstream global media outlets flatly ignore motorsport as a whole, also, while we ourselves won't understand it or refuse to believe it, but not as many people care about the next Ferrari or Lamborghini as much as they did 10 years ago.

Omg, my first post here, and It’s going to be a rant.

What an idiot! I can’t believe they would have that sort of thinking. The original Gran Turismo’s taught me what things did on cars and then I went out and did those things to my own real car! They don’t understand that you have to create the very field that you wish to see, it is just the same in sales. You can either cater to a field that already exists, or you can CREATE the very field you wish to sell in! Yeesh!

Users also don’t know how a PlayStation works, guess we better go back to playing with yo-yos...

A game about Esports that focuses on teaching you how to become a professional racing driver, so that you may one day become the real deal.

.....Doesn't teach you how to tune a car, the irony.
While it is simplified, if you want to treat your players as pros that compete for FIA licenced championship, don't treat them like children and take away real life aspects of upgrading a car, it's also part of Motorsport, the driver usually specifies what is wrong with the car and what to upgrade etc.

That being said, I love the game, I can't help but see the potential being lost in making it a better game though.

Agreed! The people that don’t bother to understand the tuning aspect are slumps that will never learn it in the first place. They are the types that buy the game, play for a day and move on to the next “call of duty” FPS.

So much for catering to the knowledge based loyal following...

If he has that kind of mentality, what's the point of the game?
A virtual driving test.

I tell you, with the daily mileage thing, players should put "L/red P/green P" stickers on the bumpers. Just like getting a full licence in Australia.

Good point. For years I played a game that was able to do both. It was called Gran Turismo:ouch:

Totally agree with this.

Back when I had the time (GT1-4) i'd spend hours on a single car, lapping, tweaking, doing brake tests, acceleration tests to see which mods gave better times.
But now, and the years I played GT6, There was something satisfying about using a Loan car, with no tuning for quick-matches and seasonals
Or just cruising around somewhere like Sierra in an unlimited lap arcade race, for an hour at a reduced pace. Short shifting, braking early, in a 100% stock vehicle (but add a sports exhaust so it sounds like a better vacuum cleaner)

Even as you look at the younger professional racers today, they don;t know how to change a set of spark plugs
they've never tested modified air intake piping sizes on their car on a dyno or drag strip to see which makes better power.
They're given a car to drive. they tell the engineer how it feels, and the team make changes.

Controlled categories like GT3, GT4 gain popularity as you can buy a prepared race-car from the factory, jump in it and drive it.

So while it's sad to lose that in-depth customisation in some respects,
That's becoming the way of the world.

But I'll defend "GT Sport" that is has not "forgotten" or "left out" the Car Building/ modification from the game.
It was never in the brief.
It was never written on the box.

"GT Sport" has 100% Delivered on a game full of proper "GT" Cars, doing "Motorsport"

Back