Gran Turismo Sport: General Discussion

• Thread starter Formidable
  • 47,123 comments
So no dynamic weather it seems, a bit disappointing.
I thought the premise last gen that GT had terrible framerate and PD needs to improve it. Now we going to refuse framerate improvement?

*I'm just messing with you*

I think it is,but for certain tracks as some said. More details maybe revealed today after all.

I expected SRF and other assists to not be included in the game, being a simulator and all. Guess I was wrong: it's the default setting, at least from what was shown on the stream.

If GT Sport 1.00 comes with SRF as an option, then it officially won't be a simulator. As you said, it's just magic grip introduced with the express intention of being against the laws of physics.

I don't think they were on, these guys know inside out how they can drive from GT6 (exception ABS 1), and they noticed it still 'works' and pays off to drive the same. The early reports of "physics aren't much different from GT6" are seemingly for real.

Honestly as a whole I think GT6 physics are very good, I can only hope PD purposely made it easier by applying GT6-tires to not make this event look completely bad. We still saw way too much hitting walls, moving grass and generally inpatient driving, (gotta keep in mind the cameras everywhere is a bit new and distracting plus not having practiced car track combos enough).

GT Sport will still need a general TC (traction cheat?) for people with controllers, that is the thing, the people driving with a wheel will have such an advantage when physics become fine tuned and constanly bite back due to impossible to correct/hold/control an analog stick at that precision (plus missing FFB). There's going to be some concessions made for everyone on a controller, me included for times I'm not at home with a wheel.

I think I'd rather have them do it right on all tracks than only at a few. Still, if it's something the competition (e.g. PCARS) managed to do and with more cars on track this is still quite the disappointment. Dynamic weather is epic when done right.

Pcars has pretty noticeable framerate problems when it begins to rain. Quality wasn't that great either, the rain effects aren't particles but a bunch of large 2D billboards. Kaz said they're aiming for quality so hopefuly it'll look good to us.

Wow a racing 458 that doesn't sound like a Civic

This does look way better (yes, you can tell even while being off-screen footage) than the game in "spectator mode" that's for sure.

Perhaps the game demands more power in replay/spectator mode (happens in every racing game) since there is a lot of info and it runs at 60FPS, that's why it looks so blurry with poor anti-aliasing and low LOD for the shadows.
In GT5 and GT6 the game does look better in replays but it runs at 30FPS, only inside of the car the replay goes up to 60FPS again if I'm not mistaken.

In this case the game does look better while racing than in "spectator mode", that's guaranteed by this footage and what was seen yesterday. Heck look at the grass textures, in spectator there was no grass at all, just the base green taxture.

I'm regaining confidence bit by bit...still not digging the sounds though.

I don't think they were on, these guys know inside out how they can drive from GT6 (exception ABS 1), and they noticed it still 'works' and pays off to drive the same. The early reports of "physics aren't much different from GT6" are seemingly for real.

Honestly as a whole I think GT6 physics are very good, I can only hope PD purposely made it easier by applying GT6-tires to not make this event look completely bad. We still saw way too much hitting walls, moving grass and generally inpatient driving, (gotta keep in mind the cameras everywhere is a bit new and distracting plus not having practiced car track combos enough).

GT Sport will still need a general TC (traction cheat?) for people with controllers, that is the thing, the people driving with a wheel will have such an advantage when physics become fine tuned and constanly bite back due to impossible to correct/hold/control an analog stick at that precision (plus missing FFB). There's going to be some concessions made for everyone on a controller, me included for times I'm not at home with a wheel.

I too saw the magic grip think going on. I assumed it was SRF.

I mean, if SRF was turned off and still there was that totally unrealistic grip we all saw, then there's something seriously wrong with the physics model. Maybe they used Racing tires in non-racing vehicles?

The only competitor I saw taking advantage of the GT6-like physics was the first place, the Japanese guy. GT6 = just throwing the car hard in corners and the back of the car slides and always autocorrects itself. All GT Academy replays show this drifting-like strategy, making GT6 at the top level be more like Mario Kart than realistic driving.

He's so polite, right?

Funny story: When @Jordan, @Terronium-12 and I met up in 2013, Jordan introduced us to Kaz. We got some pictures, and I asked him to sign my GT1 instruction manual. We were at a garage in Manhattan, surrounded by some delicious-looking cars. Kaz took the Sharpie and the booklet, looked around for a surface to sign it on... and casually plunked it on the roof of a Ford GT40, easily worth a few million. :lol:
:lol: I wouldn't expect anything less, he's so cool. And this game is excellent too... When you guys play this you will love it I promise.

Most of these arguments would play out so damn differently if they were face to face.
No they wouldn't. Even if they do, it is likely the ones that are only being critical of the people that have a disagreement with the game, that would be the one's that would fall into whatever you're implying. You fail to realize that just because a long drawn out discussion is going on, it's not that the ones doing it are punching their keyboards in rage. If you think people can't have a discussion while disagreeing with each other in person, it says more about you than anyone else, really.

Morning all, nothing changes it seems.

So I remade yesterday's GTS trailer with Moon Over The Castle instead of that annoying music/baby shouting.

I shall be putting up my own soon :)

I find this appropriate for quite a few people:

goal.jpg

Time to bring this back out:

Iron Skin.png

Just as I suspected, the 458 is using the road car simple, though it appears to be missing some of that rasp.

Recorded yesterdays behind the scenes from their snapchat incase anyone missed it.

Now there is Apollo Four Fourty playing in the background. Someone really is stuck on the GT2 Soundtrack.

He's so polite, right?

Funny story: When @Jordan, @Terronium-12 and I met up in 2013, Jordan introduced us to Kaz. We got some pictures, and I asked him to sign my GT1 instruction manual. We were at a garage in Manhattan, surrounded by some delicious-looking cars. Kaz took the Sharpie and the booklet, looked around for a surface to sign it on... and casually plunked it on the roof of a Ford GT40, easily worth a few million. :lol:
Genuinely one of the coolest stories I've ever read :lol:

Am I the only one who thinks scapes photos look... weird? I mean, you can see that cars look somewhat different than the backgrounds. Cars kinda look like they are floating, like they aren't actually on the ground.

This aside, well... I can't say I'm much impressed with the event, the 'Ring race was a trainwreck in particular :lol: Interestingly, the flag system was only working in the first few mintues of the race, never to be seen again despite the countless crashes and spinout.

Graphics-wise I didn't see much difference from GT6, but it's probably because the stream was only running 720p and VERY unstable 60 fps.

Sounds... I hate to point this out, but I feel not much has changed. The race-modified R8 sound sample is just an altered sound of the V10 R8 from GT6.

At any case, I only hope all this is the fault of it being a half-complete build 👍

Maybe they used Racing Soft tires (awful for competing as well)?

Totally.

The only competitor I saw taking advantage of the GT6-like physics was the first place, the Japanese guy. GT6 = just throwing the car hard in corners and the back of the car slides and always autocorrects itself. All GT Academy replays show this, making GT6 at the top level be more like Mario Kart than realistic driving.

Mario Kart is very harsh. Auto-correct-ish is more honest and respectful. ;)

I still have to check out what AC feels like, I go completely by my RL driving experience (no actual track time) from many different cars I've driven at high speed on the limit in all conditions over many years (15+). And also by simply watching motorsport...

Graphics-wise I didn't see much difference from GT6, but it's probably because the stream was only running 720p and VERY unstable 60 fps.

Not quite. There are a few examples where there's a virtual divide (hah!) and others where it genuinely, at least in this build, doesn't look like anything more than a very polished GT6 runtime.

Sounds... I hate to point this out, but I feel not much has changed. The race-modified R8 sound sample is just an altered sound of the V10 R8 from GT6.

There are improvements. Nothing hallmark-worthy just yet, but there are very noticeable changes.

Most of these arguments would play out so damn differently if they were face to face.

How so?

It seeems weather is in but isn't dynamic. We can pick weather condition before start of race. I'm using google translate so if any Japanese fluent members can translate better and include more interesting bits in the article, would be great.

http://dengekionline.com/elem/000/001/277/1277887/

- Whether the weather changes that were in the previous work also supports the work now?

For the weather changes, it is expected to be to choose the weather before the race. Although I was able to as the weather changes during the race so far in the series, to be honest, or take a degree of freedom, it is one of the balance take the quality. Which elements or their own is important, consider the place called, was so does not change the weather.

That is friggin' hilarious.

Today, the canteen will be serving crow for lunch to all the people who gave FM6 🤬 for having static weather.

It turns out that eighth gen cannot do 1080/60 with dynamic weather and still have acceptable visual quality. Still, it's nice to see them taking a quality first approach.

He also says he wants to do VR and get it in for launch, but isn't sure how well it will come out. He needs to think about it some more.

I wouldn't get too attached to any of the "guaranteed" features that people might expect that we haven't seen yet.

Totally.

Mario Kart is very harsh. Auto-correct-ish is more honest and respectful. ;)

I still have to check out what AC feels like, I go completely by my RL driving experience (no actual track time) from many different cars I've driven at high speed on the limit in all conditions over many years (15+). And also by simply watching motorsport...

Sounds harsh, but watch this

That's sliding like Mario Kart, just without jumping. The Japanese guy drove like this at the GT Sport event and it worked for him wonders, especially in the Tokyo track.

Last edited:
No, let's talk about the amazing Scapes feature because it's the one thing that has been revealed so far that is (as far as I can tell) head and shoulders above anything in any other games. Other games have photomodes, but nothing with such an expansive set of locations and that seems to place the cars so well in the scene. It's very impressive.
We could also talk about GT Live mode. The very concept of it is something that's completely unheard of in literally any other game.

Back