Gran Turismo Sport: General Discussion

• Thread starter Formidable
  • 47,123 comments
There's a reason why GT6 SSR7 looks like this
gGQb.jpg

and tracks with dynamic weather look like this.
iGQb.jpeg

They can get higher quality with baking in wet shaders instead of using extra resources trying to make it appear dynamically further affecting framerate. Dynamic weather in GT6 didn't look that great anyway, environment detail remained the same. Asphalt stayed completely dry which was weird.
One fatal flaw on your post: SSR 7 is one of the track with dynamic weather.

The wet shaders are actually bonded to the track model themselves. SSR 7 and Eifel course maker tracks are the one with it. The others however has to compromise to fit into last gen tech.

Ok, having watched all the videos, read all the news and posts in this thread (100+ pages in 2 days...wow :lol:), and came back down to Earth after all the hype, allow me to make a few impressions...

GOOD

UI - looks fresh, simple and intuitive, just like all past GTs and cleaned up for the minimalist new generation. No complaints here whatsoever.

Photomode/Scapes - absolutely stunning. You literally cannot tell if it's a game or real life. With this technique PD doesn't need to waste time modelling whole locations anymore, because you can just take a picture of a real location, add the in-game model and it is virtually indistinguishable. 1000+ locations is absolutely amazing. The only negatives that I can think of is you can't really "walk around" in the locations. Also, this makes it easy to get good photos, but harder to be creative with angle/placement.

Livery Editor - another bombshell by PD. Really didn't expect this coming. Looks fairly extensive too and not half arsed like the customization options in GT5/6. My only concern is you can only put a subset of liveries on a subset of cars (kinda like the limited selection of wheels in GT5), and everyone's car will end up looking fairly similar anyways. We'll see how it goes.

Museum - another feature I love to see returning from GT5. This may not be high up on people's priority, but things like this is what makes GT stand out from other car games. Appreciation for everything and anything automotive/motorsport.

Quality Consistency - although we kinda know already, it's good to see there will be no standards, and all the cars and tracks have been rebuilt. The lack of consistency is what killed the PS3 generation GTs in my opinion, so it's good to see they have a completely fresh start this time around. Remember the wonder when GT5P was first released? I feel the same way this time around.

NEUTRAL

Graphics - honestly, I'm neither happy nor disappointed. In some situations it looks good (that Nurburgring gif, photomode), and in others it doesn't really look that much of an improvement from GT6. It doesn't really scream next gen like Driveclub does. 3D trees look good, but we still have cardboards in some places. Grass still looks flat. Asphalt textures look really good though (especially Tokyo Expressway).

Cars - racing versions of road cars look great, however I would much rather they spend time modelling the real life race versions, if available (C7R instead of C7 Gr.3 for example). If not so much concerned about the car count, but looking at the list so far it looks padded (3 MX5 versions, really?) and there's a lot of VGTs. That doesn't leave a lot of room for new cars.

Performance Balancing - I see a Corvette and a Mito in Group N. Wut? Either they are going to nerf the Corvette severely or give the Mito some ridiculous boost, or both. From my experience with BOP in GT6 Quick Match, the performance balancing will make all the cars feel pretty much the same as everything else, and you lose that individuality in each car's character. Good for racing, but very bad if you want any kind of realism.

Tracks - Tokyo Expressway is awesome :D Been waiting a long time for a proper Wangan style track (SSR7 isn't really exciting unless you're pushing for top speed). The problem is they should have modelled the actual C1 layout. As it is, it's far too short for proper cruising and it's not challenging enough. The short oval is interesting, but again they should have modelled an actual track (Bristol or Martinsville anyone?). Also it's a bit odd for them to add this track when there's no NASCAR. Track count is pegged at 19. I counted all the real life tracks from GT6 and it's at 17 (minus Goodwood and the doubled up Suzuka). Add Tokyo + Oval and you have 19. Then we have the rally track +/- Seattle. Looks like fans of original GT tracks are out of luck this time :( Also no dynamic weather? With all that PS4 power you'd think all tracks will have dynamic time and weather, no question :grumpy:

Physics - from gameplay videos it still looks same old GT physics. High slip angles are faster, cars bounce over kerbs without repercussions, overdamped suspension...However after reading @Scaff comments I'm inclined to give this the benefit of doubt for now. Judging physics without actually holding a wheel in your hands is hit and miss I find. I'm still not expecting this to be better than AC though (or PCARS for that matter).

BAD

Sounds - sigh...still no significant improvement. Even if they bring it up to the level of late VGTs it's still a far cry from other racing games in the market. I have given up hope in this department a long time ago. Next.

Collisions - still same old GT bumper cars. Even if damage is disabled, I doubt the final version will be anything groundbreaking. Totally takes away from the realism.

HUD - a change that doesn't need to happen IMO. Surprised to see so many people liking this actually. It looks modern, but that's about the only good part. I absolutely hate using a line for speedo/tach as it makes it hard to read. Also there are 2 lines for tach (the round one on the right and the strip on top middle)? Missing throttle/brake position. Don't like the map as well (I always drive with it off). Also it's too big and too high up on the screen, which covers up the road ahead. Not liking this one bit.

Always Online - no explanation needed here. I know it's primarily an e-sport game, but there's still an offline career mode and we don't need online for that. I really hope this is just a misinformation.

Matchmaking/Netcode - from playing GT6 Quick Match, GT's matching system is absolutely atrocious. Takes too long, clunky, multiple loading screens and fails far too often. If we end up getting matched based on player stats that will make the process even longer and convoluted. You might end up not having anyone to match with :crazy: Learn from Codemasters PD. Also the netcode I hope is a lot more stable and fluid. No more jumping/accelerating/invisible cars please.

Pre-order/Limited/Collectors Editions - if this is a spin off, there's no need for all these extra stuff. Save it for the full GT7. The fact that PD does put out special editions tells me they want to treat this as a full game, but so far I'm not seeing a full GT experience in GTS. More like GT6.5 Lite: Online Edition.

OVERALL

Besides scapes and livery editor, I am not really seeing anything groundbreaking for PD. I mean a car racing game is always going to be limited in creativity, but watching all these announcements and trailers (reusing the same song again? They don't even try do they) doesn't give me the "wow" factor like the jump from PS1 to PS2, or PS2 to PS3. Even if PD managed to sort out all the neutral/bad stuff above, that just means they have caught up with other games. I miss the good old innovative PD that pushes the genre forward back in PS1/2 days. Kaz says GTS is only 50% done. Well they have a ton of work to do in just 6 months.

Am I still going to buy GTS? Probably yes.

Is it going to be fun? Maybe, for a few months or so.

Is it going to be my primary racing sim? A resounding no.
I'm holding on hope that GT7 would fix those issues. Not gonna get GTS probably because e-sports and online focused is not my thing.

I've posted this on the Impression thread already but people here may also be interested.

My Impressions:

First of all I have to thank @Jordan and the other forum staff for arranging the GTP tickets for this fantastic event. gtplanet has been my primary source of procrastination for the last 6/7 years and it is great to see how successfully it has grown. Oh, and cheers for the magnet!

Now for GT Sport:

Played various combinations, I'll list all the ones I can remember below;

MX-5 at Brands Indy (controller)
Golf GTI at the 'Ring
Renault Sport GT3 at Willow
F-Type GT3 at Willow
MX-5 Gr N200 at Tokyo
Alpine VGT at Brands
MX-5 at the 'Ring (on CM tyres with all assists off - great fun!)

AI:

Used 50/50 Intermediate/Professional, the former were pretty easy to beat, rather like the GT6 AI. The latter however were significantly faster, and pretty hard to beat, you would easily end up well down the pack after one 'off' and struggle to make it back up the field. In terms of intelligence I noticed a few incidences of them making their own mistakes, plus they seemed to follow the racing line less religiously than I remember from previous games. I still had a few cases of blindly being punted off by a car that had not realised that I was there though.

Graphics:

The Cars were stunning, honestly the best models I have seen in any current gen racer. Yes a couple (SLS GT3) had some small tessellation issues around the arches in certain scenes but on the whole I was seriously impressed. I did not expect such a large leap in quality from PS3-4. As for tracks, Brands, Willow and Tokyo looked like fair improvement to GT6, although some lighting a scenery tweaking is needed for them to really look complete. The 'Ring was more of a mixture, there are some proper ruts in the grass now which looks great, but something about the rest of the grass didn't look quite 'right'. I also suffered some frame rate drops and flickering of the scenery which was quite noticeable.

Physics:

Seem like a fair improvement on what was already a good base. The cars seemed to move around more naturally in response to acceleration or cornering which was good to see. The collision physics were bad considering the type of game although Kaz did mention that they plan to implement a damage model in the Q+A. Driving the MX-5 with all assists off was excellent fun, I did not expect a 130bhp car to be as enjoyable as that was which is promising for the game as it means the lower powered cars can be properly enjoyed. The racing MX-5 behaved unusually on the Tokyo track, and I found myself sliding around like the people in the stream, could be a bug on just an unusual set up on the car. Braking and Steering assist are now an option (so you presumably literally have to mash the throttle in order to go round a track, trying to add appeal to a casual audience?).

Sounds:

Experienced a few knackered pairs of headphones so can't be 100% certain with my points. On the whole they seemed like a fair improvement. Best comparison I can do is for the Golf GTI, since my old man has an 'R' of the same generation and I would say the sound is very close to how the real car sounds when its cabin resonator/speaker thing is switched off. The MX-5 sounded reasonably sporty, and the difference in volume from bumper/cockpit view and chase cam seemed more apparent than in previous games. The F-Type sounded very good too. The tyre squeal is a bit overpowering although it is not as bad in practice than it is in the videos shown on here.

Finally, whilst I was somewhat cynical at first, now I have seen and tried out the game I firmly believe that the whole 'E-Sports' idea behind the game could be a really successful one. Competed in one of the network races on the main stage with a variety of people, and it was a very fun experience, even if I did get pushed wide on the last corner of Willow and lose 5 places...

Don't want to make this post too long so I'll leave it there, if anyone wants to know anything else then please ask! :)
Thanks for the detailed impressions. I have a question though. Do you play any sims on pc or console and, if so, can you compare them to your first impression of GT Sport? Do you use a wheel at home and, if so, which one?

Regarding sounds, one review I found quite interesting was this one:

http://www.evo.co.uk/news/17760/gran-turismo-sport-preview-the-most-exciting-racing-game-of-2016

Probably they were lucky with the cars they tried , but at the end of the day these are the kind of people that work on a daily basis with a lot of the vehicles the games tries to replicate.
Not sure how much faith I'd put in a review that says this:lol::

That slightly digital tyre squeal has also gone. It does need more volume though ....

Yeah the GT Sport Ferrari doesn't sound as mean and grunty as the one in real life. You can tell they're going in the right direction though.
If I step out my side door and walk straight ahead I'm headed in the right direction if I'm going to the North Pole. I'm 5000 kms away but yeah, I'm headed in the right direction.:lol:

OK. Here I go (and this is just about the physics - the rest can wait a few days as I've just got back after a good 2 1/2 hour drive).

I drove the following to get a good range of impressions:

• MX-5
  • MX-5 Race Prep'd
  • VW Golf GTi
  • Lotus Evora
  • Renault RS.01
  • Aston Martin GT3
  • Pug 908
I stuck to Brands Hatch GP and the 'ring track wise as I know both well and in total got around 1.5 hours of seat time with around 10 to 15 laps of the Brands Hatch GP circuit in each. Of course zero driver aids for any of these.

First and most important, its a significant step forward from GT6 in all areas, the tyre model is far more progressive with break away better modeled. Suspension and weight transfer again improved and most noticeable of all the aero model has come along in a big way. When the aero's working you can get the power down and brake hard and feel the extra aero load providing more grip, just as when the aero load reduces as speed drops you then have to start being more careful.

Aero was the easiest to feel, as I moved from cars which should lift at speed (the MX-5) through the RS.01, the GT3 Aston to the 908 they all felt far more planted through the corners.

The MX5 around the 'ring was great fun, with the car moving around in a very convincing away and very adjustable.

Torque steer is all present and correct, and caught quite a few out at the start of a number of races I saw when waiting for pods to free up.

I was speaking to @SlipZtrEm via PM last night and both of us expressed concerns regarding the weird movement from the streams, this seems to be an issue with the code being used in the spectator mode, as its certainly has nothing to do with the actual handling of the cars and is not present at all in the replays from single player races or time trials.

Overall I'm impressed with what I experienced.

:bowdown::crazy: Thank you for the good news on the physics, at least some of my fears are now gone.

Did you also happen to try ABS ? Does it still work like in GT5/6 ? If it does still like GT5/6, I may have to keep driving with no ABS again :D

Any sign of tire pressure in the game ?

If you have tried PC sims like LFS, you can feel the tire acts like rubber, they deformed when loaded through corners, and you feel it like real tires, unlike GT5/6 with tires that felt like bricks, how does the tire feel in GTS ? Similar to LFS ? LFS has that unique feel, especially when spinning out to a dead stop, easily noticeable how tires react like rubber with air.

How does the drivetrain simulated in GTS based on what you have felt ? Is the game still perfectly auto clutch for you, and when down shifting under braking, can the driveline shock be felt when rough handled ? Did you try the clutch ? Does the engine now revs like real one, with life like throttle response ?

I'm sorry if I asks too much, but those are some of the things that still worries me :ouch::scared:

One last question, when you drove the MX-5, have you felt at any time, the car hit the bump stop ?

Last edited:
It would've been great if they had thrown some FWD cup cars in there so we could see if they've improved. Those are the cars that are the most ignored physics wise in GT games.

Edit: *It would have been great if there was a gameplay video of a FWD car*

Really? I'd say the difference is pretty notable in most of them, with the 2nd picture being the only one that's particularly close.
Nah, it literally just the first two or 3. And its all in the lighting I reckon.

Just wanted to say, one of the reasons that I'm really looking forward to this game is just how happy Kaz looks. I mean, he's smiled and laughed (and danced!) and this event more than he has in the last few combined! That really gives me confidence. The man knows what he's doing, and he must be damn proud of GT Sport, especially to show it off this early.

I watched BlackPanthaa's video on the event, and in it, you can hear Kaz talk English! He says "Good afternoon everyone", in quite a clear accent. I love it when Kaz speaks English. He seems to understand it well, but he rarely speaks it. Maybe he's not too confident on his pronunciations. I can't blame him, really. He's not a native speaker, obviously. I really like the menus/UI, the presentation looks fantastic, and in a video I saw of a GT-R going round Brands Hatch I believe it was, I heard the GT4 pause sound when the person playing paused GT Sport. I thought that was a cool throwback.

Also, I saw that someone made a version of the GT Sport trailer with different music, and I really liked it, so I gave it a go. Not too sure where to post this, so if anyone wants it removed, I'll get on that right away. I added in the "Only on PlayStation" bit and the "Greatness Awaits" part at the end. Thought it was a nice touch, seeing as it's a Sony/PS4 exclusive.

Last edited:
An expensive set of headphones or a sound system will never fix the awful sound that cars has always had in GT. It will just make it louder, clearer and more obvious of how incorrect it is. It's not going to fix all the cars shifting like they have double clutch transmissions, it will not fix the lack of exhaust, the flatness of the sounds, and most certainly (and more importantly) it won't fix the hundreds of cars that have an engine sound nowhere near the type of engine they actually have (V8's sounding like V6's... you know; the typical PD sound idiocies).

As for the actual sound in the game, the surround effects are very good. Doppler and distance effect in GT6 was about the best I ever heard. No game has come close since. But what got it is if the cars themselves sound horrible?
I don't understand this response. What I'm mentioning is that PD can't make engine sounds to match the quality of some sound set ups. What's the point of a sound system with bad audio - etc.

He did in his Normal Cryptic answers as he does, But he said clearly that he sees Gran Turismo Sport as Gran Turismo 7, Translator-San said they have packed so much into GT Sport that when they look back at It they could easily go back to the Game and Re Brand It as Gran Turismo 7 If people would prefer. But he said the GT Sport Name stuck as the FIA Partnership was such a big feature within the Game and that looks to have taken precedence. This is very much a New Type of GT Experience.
This is interesting. In this generation, of course including "PS4K", GT Sport could evolve the whole console life cycle with dlc add-ons, free&paid. I could easily accept that and GT7 would be PS5 era PS5 launch title.. How does this sound?

I hope all the classic Gran Turismo race cars remain . I.E : McLaren F1 GTR a race Car '97 and the Minolta Toyota and the Sauber C9 . I would like to see a lot of tuners as well . I did see a Subaru in the trailer , however , so I'm happy .,

Back