Gran Turismo Sport: General Discussion

• Thread starter Formidable
  • 47,123 comments
I really like the new user interface very nice.Whoever was responsible for it well done.

It was Kevin Middelbos, formerly of Evolution Studios. The interface he designed for Driveclub was also very smooth, crisp, and easy to use, so it's good to see he's carried that through to GT Sport, whilst also incorporating a bit of the traditional Polyphony/GT style.

Kaz then replied that he doesn't think that GT Sport isn't actually Gran Turismo 7 and If he was to look back to GT Sport in todays form they could easily rebrand It as Gran Turismo 7 he said. So this is very much the Next GT Game.
I think this is a good thing: focus on one title at a time. Start relatively small and expand it.

And no barriers to prevent you from driving away at the intersection? Nah, man, this is a scape.

No no I know that much, I meant the location looked familiar - I live within ~25 minutes of the city. That circular concrete structure is what caught my attention. The street lights, cross walks, and various other road markings look very similar here.

It wouldn't surprise me if Seattle makes up a few of the "1000+" scape locations, the waterfront and Pike Place are decently well-known and pretty areas even in a global sense.

Wait why the heck are we still using the same lotus Evora from GT5? The Evora S has been out since GT6 and the 400 has been out for a year.
Lotus, the company, whatever it is now is very strange, licensing has been weird for a while now, the game I used to work on had to pull the Elise and Evora out of the game entirely a few years ago.

Lotus, the company, whatever it is now is very strange, licensing has been weird for a while now, the game I used to work on had to pull the Elise and Evora out of the game entirely a few years ago.
So they somehow got a super premium model? Wat do Kaz

@Scaff may I ask what made the Evora so difficult? Did it have snap oversteer under 100kmh like many MR cars in GT6?
Ultra long gearing was one problem

Last edited by a moderator:
What a day yesterday was! I had a truly wonderful time meeting the gang behind GTPlanet. Along with some video presenting for the site, I ended up commentating on all nine races that took place - needless to say that my voice is somewhat worse for wear this morning!

I really must say a huge thank you to @Jordan and @AJ for their organisation and the opportunity for allowing GTP members to be a part of a truly unique experience. It was also so fantastic to meet so many GT enthusiasts all in one place, and their passion was so clearly evident.

Just to touch on the commentary side of things: I received very good feedback from the vast majority of people I spoke to, and even Kaz complimented me on stage during the Q&A! I can't say anything too early currently, but there could be some more work in the pipeline...

Thank you once again to all involved. It was an absolute pleasure to meet you, and I hope we can do it again soon.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

OK. Here I go (and this is just about the physics - the rest can wait a few days as I've just got back after a good 2 1/2 hour drive).

I drove the following to get a good range of impressions:

• MX-5
  • MX-5 Race Prep'd
  • VW Golf GTi
  • Lotus Evora
  • Renault RS.01
  • Aston Martin GT3
  • Pug 908
I stuck to Brands Hatch GP and the 'ring track wise as I know both well and in total got around 1.5 hours of seat time with around 10 to 15 laps of the Brands Hatch GP circuit in each. Of course zero driver aids for any of these.

First and most important, its a significant step forward from GT6 in all areas, the tyre model is far more progressive with break away better modeled. Suspension and weight transfer again improved and most noticeable of all the aero model has come along in a big way. When the aero's working you can get the power down and brake hard and feel the extra aero load providing more grip, just as when the aero load reduces as speed drops you then have to start being more careful.

Aero was the easiest to feel, as I moved from cars which should lift at speed (the MX-5) through the RS.01, the GT3 Aston to the 908 they all felt far more planted through the corners.

The MX5 around the 'ring was great fun, with the car moving around in a very convincing away and very adjustable.

Torque steer is all present and correct, and caught quite a few out at the start of a number of races I saw when waiting for pods to free up.

I was speaking to @SlipZtrEm via PM last night and both of us expressed concerns regarding the weird movement from the streams, this seems to be an issue with the code being used in the spectator mode, as its certainly has nothing to do with the actual handling of the cars and is not present at all in the replays from single player races or time trials.

Overall I'm impressed with what I experienced.

I felt quite the opposite, but I found the same with Dirt Rally. The closer a title is to reality the easier I tend to find it. I had no bigger learning curve today than I had with Dirt or PCars. In fact I deliberately spent time last night with a number of the cars I knew were in this build on PCars at Brands GP and not only were my lap times reasonably close between the two, but the overall behavior of GTS and PCars are not that far apart at all.

As of now so am I.

It had the factor I've missed from the last two titles, fun while driving.

The AI is better, but still far too passive (backs off rather than challenge you directly a lot of the time).

Sounds were a mixed bag. The race MX5's and Golf were OK, the GT3 Aston and RS-01 were great and the Evora was bloody horrible and nearly game me a headache.

Wow Scaff you gave me some good hopes! If it's reasonably cose to PCars physics-wise i may actually get it and be back to GT!

Personally, I'm going to wait until E3. They could release more information about the game at that point. I'm personally hoping they will show a dynamic time and weather system.

I love the quality over quantity direction that they are taking with GTSport, but it's clear that it still has a number of rough edges that need to be refined.

I would like to know more about that Spanish commentators claim that the game is only 50% complete. I find it hard to believe, but if this is the case, then PD are going to have their work cut out if the game is to be launched later this year.

Will I buy it? Most likely. It is Gran Turismo game after all. The name practically sells it for me. But in all seriousness, every Gran Turismo game has a charm which I admire.

For me personally, I also love the fact that PD are still committed to the rally scene by giving us a dirt course. I seriously thought that GT Sport would remove dirt racing completely. I also love how they aren't recycling old rally cars. They have actually taken the time to design some really interesting new additions. Needless to say, I can't wait to try out that Evo 10 rally car!

Naturally, I am slightly disappointed that this reveal hasn't answered all of our questions, but assuming that the builds we've seen truly are far from the final product, we should hopefully get more info as we get closer to release.

OK. Here I go (and this is just about the physics - the rest can wait a few days as I've just got back after a good 2 1/2 hour drive).

I drove the following to get a good range of impressions:

• MX-5
  • MX-5 Race Prep'd
  • VW Golf GTi
  • Lotus Evora
  • Renault RS.01
  • Aston Martin GT3
  • Pug 908
I stuck to Brands Hatch GP and the 'ring track wise as I know both well and in total got around 1.5 hours of seat time with around 10 to 15 laps of the Brands Hatch GP circuit in each. Of course zero driver aids for any of these.

First and most important, its a significant step forward from GT6 in all areas, the tyre model is far more progressive with break away better modeled. Suspension and weight transfer again improved and most noticeable of all the aero model has come along in a big way. When the aero's working you can get the power down and brake hard and feel the extra aero load providing more grip, just as when the aero load reduces as speed drops you then have to start being more careful.

Aero was the easiest to feel, as I moved from cars which should lift at speed (the MX-5) through the RS.01, the GT3 Aston to the 908 they all felt far more planted through the corners.

The MX5 around the 'ring was great fun, with the car moving around in a very convincing away and very adjustable.

Torque steer is all present and correct, and caught quite a few out at the start of a number of races I saw when waiting for pods to free up.

I was speaking to @SlipZtrEm via PM last night and both of us expressed concerns regarding the weird movement from the streams, this seems to be an issue with the code being used in the spectator mode, as its certainly has nothing to do with the actual handling of the cars and is not present at all in the replays from single player races or time trials.

Overall I'm impressed with what I experienced.
That is fantastic news. Honestly, all my concerns about other areas of the game just became less important after reading this. Finally seems GT caught up in the area that most concerns me. Even more gutted we aren't getting a beta now! Thanks so much for taking the time to post your impressions so late after a long drive. Look forward to reading some more of your thoughts.

Hopefully they can find a way to implement dynamic weather in while holding 60 fps.

I think it might be a quality issue rather than a frame rate issue. A static sky means that you can make it photo-realistic, while a dynamic sky means that you need to trade away some of the realism, because clouds are notoriously difficult to model and animate in a realistic manner.

Hopefully this means that rain can still come and go, only that the sky won't change from clear to overcast.

Tom
What a day yesterday was! I had a truly wonderful time meeting the gang behind GTPlanet. Along with some video presenting for the site, I ended up commentating on all nine races that took place - needless to say that my voice is somewhat worse for wear this morning!

I really must say a huge thank you to @Jordan and @AJ for their organisation and the opportunity for allowing GTP members to be a part of a truly unique experience. It was also so fantastic to meet so many GT enthusiasts all in one place, and their passion was so clearly evident.

Just to touch on the commentary side of things: I received very good feedback from the vast majority of people I spoke to, and even Kaz complimented me on stage during the Q&A! I can't say anything too early currently, but there could be some more work in the pipeline...

Thank you once again to all involved. It was an absolute pleasure to meet you, and I hope we can do it again soon.

View attachment 548329

View attachment 548330

View attachment 548328

Tom, just want to say it again mate, really great job yesterday on the commentary.

There was almost a 4-wide moment on the long Nurb stretch yesterday (perhaps in the US/Japan race) and it was really high drama, brilliant entertainment. I salute you!

If anyone has any videos of that race, or others, would be great to share here.

Also, on that front, what improvements do you think the spectator mode needs to help commentators/spectators out do you think? Seemed like at some points it cut away from some entertaining duels randomly.

(Also quite funny that the US v Japan race was won by an English guy!)

Tom
After hearing your commentary in the background of videos from the community day it's a shame you weren't shoulder tapped for the FIA Live Stream. A missed opportunity for all involved but great to hear some doors have been opened.

Congratulations on the compliments, they're thoroughly deserved 👍

Also, on that front, what improvements do you think the spectator mode needs to help commentators/spectators out do you think? Seemed like at some points it cut away from some entertaining duels randomly.
Personally I'd love a companion app or web service (similar to GT5's Remote Access) to be able to see live timing with splits etc…

photo06a.jpg

Last edited:
Personally I'd love to see a companion app or web service (similar to GT5's Remote Access) to be able to see live timing with splits etc…

photo06a.jpg

Yeah, good idea, they did mention the companion app in the presentation, as well as a web variant. Though not this specific functionality..

For the high profile races, employing a good director/commentator team would make these things so much more enjoyable to watch.

Let's hope our boy @Tom is involved in this somehow.

👍

FT-1... :drool:

On another note, does anyone here know the music that's playing around the 1:50 mark? It sounds a lot like the song from the Katsuobushi concept car (very funny) Subaru VGT unveiling video.

Watching this, and there seems to be a huge amount of inconsistancy in the grass texture. Sometimes it looks flat, but sometimes, like this:
upload_2016-5-21_19-37-24.png

It looks pretty darn good. (stream quality)
Maybe the graphics aren't finished then. Can't think of any other explanation.

What a amazing day. Really looking forward to seeing some footage from the oval race, as my son loves his gran turismo. He wants to see his old man(41) win a race. I'm sure he don't believe me. The commentary was brilliant. Really looking forward to this game. Might have to get back on ps3 with dfgt, got the bug for it again after yesterday.

Back