Gran Turismo Sport: General Discussion

• Thread starter Formidable
  • 47,123 comments
Reading the GT Sport website, strikes me how modern the UI is, and how refreshing a change that is. This, for example:

i183QQ9CG7dbr.jpg

The numbers could be clearer perhaps, but this is really good stuff, imho.

As for the actual campaign itself, may end up being a bit lightweight for those used to the normal GT affair, but I'm quite excited to see how they structure it.

When gtp first started to send people to events it was because the regular media was failing to test games properly or ask the right questions.

That is some very bold assumptions considering you had no part in any of that.

At what point did they corner yamauchi and ask tough questions about the sounds?

For what reason did they need to "Corner" him for answers? Didn't realize interrogation was doing proper Sim racing Jounalism.

The UI is being done by the same guy that did Driveclub's UI. I love how fast it is, although that's more to do with the amount of RAM available.

Yeah he seems like a talented chap. I also prefer this UI to Driveclub's...

On a separate note, I wonder if we get something similar to Forzavista or whatever it's called. With these upgraded car models, could be a real treat...

Yeah he seems like a talented chap. I also prefer this UI to Driveclub's...

On a separate note, I wonder if we get something similar to Forzavista or whatever it's called. With these upgraded car models, could be a real treat...

While I'm not sure about about a dedicated mode for exploring the cars, I have noticed a very obviously Forzavista-inspired aspect of the car selection menu. When left on a car for a while, small lines appear around the car, showing measurements for width, height, etc. It stood out to me because of how visually similar it was.

Sadly, I'm not riding the GTS hype train. I'm not impressed with what I've seen so far. Here goes my two cents:

[+/-] Graphics
It's hard to tell by watching youtube videos and photomode pictures, but the graphics do look better. But not THAT much better. It still have problems. The same annoying problem we had with GT5 and GT6 is still there: in the cockpit view the instruments panel still get pitch black when there are shadows. It is ridiculous, PD should know what a default ambient light is! Imagine you want to drive in cockpit view without the game's panels. It's a pain. It's unrealistic. I also don't like the information on top of the cars (name, position and speed). They look arcade-ish and unrealistic but since they can be turned off, no complains here. Still, PD could use the time to do more useful features (will expand this below)

[-] Gameplay / Driving
I can't tell how the driving feels if I hadn't experienced it. But I can say this: GET RID OF THE STUPID ASM AND ACTIVE STEERING AIDS! They are unrealistic and especially ASM gives an incredibly advantage to those who use it. The ESP and traction control are more than enough! At least I hope we get a good solo campaign (as opposed to GT5 and GT6) and nice driving license and challenges to get gold. The FIA championships must be better explained, since I don't get how they will work yet. So far they just sound like the quick matches, but we'll have to wait a see. One thing is for sure, I'd rather have an improved online experience. Rooms should have better settings control, like disallowing downtune, shuffle races or same car races (for any car, as opposed to a short list that GT6 had). So far, there is nothing in this department that looks any better.

[+/-] Tracks and Cars
Well, I do know that GTS is not a GT7 and is more like a prologue. And as a prologue, it has a lot of tracks and cars. But it is a significant reduction when compared to GT6. We have half of the tracks. And whats worse, they keep fantasy tracks, so many real circuits will be missing :( We have 10% of the cars. Okay, GT6 had 1200, remove similar/clone cars and fantasy cars and we are down to maybe 700 or so, then the 10% becomes more like 25%. However, PD still insisted in bringing over stupid fantasy and VGT cars, it's very disappointing, especially when they lost time doing them from scratch while they could be doing the cars we all really love. The exclusion of standard cars is acceptable as they would look out of place and bad. Having 100~200 full premium cars in GTS would not be bad at all, if they at least weren't fantasy cars. At the very least the garage limit will go away (I hope). There was nothing more frustrating than having bought all cars and still having to abandon an online room to go get the car from the stockyard (or buy a new one, since it was faster)...

[-] Damage
Still no damage? And yet, PD loses time with less useful features such as... (see below)

[+/-] Features
We have Livery Editor. We have many locations for Photo Mode. These features are always welcomed. But, maybe PD could have used the time and resources a little better. A damage system, more real-life tracks (as opposed to fantasy) and more real cars (instead of VGTs) would be much more appreciated. And don't get me wrong, I like to take photos and the livery can be fun. But the features are secondary. Everyone has been asking for and are happy about the Livery Editor, but I expect that most people will use it once or twice and never again. And those who will use it, many of them will be to put stupid designs and exploit it to do buggy/idiotic things. But oh well... The VR feature might be a good one, but we will have to wait and see.

[+/-] Costs
Many of us will have to spend a lot of money to play GTS. Besides the game (that I expect will not cost like a prologue, but a full game), some of us will have to get a PS4, get a new wheel, and maybe the VR glasses. Hurts the wallet a bit. At least PD dropped the idea of paid DLCs (judging from GT6), and that is something that should be highly praised. Let's hope they keep it that way.

When I drove it on Thursday, the assist options were OFF/BRAKE ASSIST/STEERING & BRAKE ASSIST. I chose OFF and @Jordan videoed the race on his phone. Is that what you're looking for?
No, its not what I am looking for. Why not turn asm off? Why not turn off abs and lock it up? Do a dount etc.
From my recollection it was actually because we were invited to events. We didn't just turn up at the through some sense of journalistic failings on behalf of others.

@Jordan and I both interviewed Kazunori at the event, on separate occasions - though I wouldn't exactly say either of us cornered him. Is that what you're looking for?

Again no. GTP interviews are always soft touches, you seem very afraid to bite the hand that feeds. Why not ask directly why GT games are consistently the worst sounding games? And when the reply comes in that the sound has been redone this time, follow it up by saying sure, but is still poor in comparison to most games, how can a studio with the resources of PD so consistently fail where smaller studios like Kunos succeed? etc.

Instead its more like; Mr yamauchi, has the sound improved in GTS? "yes its totally redone". That is excellent news very well done Mr Yamauchi.

Now I haven't actually read any of your interviews this time around, but I bet you asked nothing about how bad driving will be addresses online, nothing about how corner cutting or wall bouncing will be addressed. Nothing about what measures have been put in place to prevent hybrids online etc. There are so many things that to big sites dont cover that GTP should. But in the end GTP covers identical ground to the rest of them so in the end what is the point of GTP going?

While I'm not sure about about a dedicated mode for exploring the cars, I have noticed a very obviously Forzavista-inspired aspect of the car selection menu. When left on a car for a while, small lines appear around the car, showing measurements for width, height, etc. It stood out to me because of how visually similar it was.

Yeah, that was nice and subtle, liked that.

I guess they may see the Scapes mode as covering this 'admiring your cars' thing. I'm sure I remember it mentioned that you can move the steering wheel, turn lights on and off, even add light sources. That could be close to a Forzavista style experience perhaps.

It's such an impressive experience simply getting into, or near, a racecar in real life - I'm surprised racing games don't try to replicate this more. Driveclub tried with the 'getting in the seat' canned anim, but something more would be cool...

No, its not what I am looking for.

Again no. GTP interviews are always soft touches, you seem very afraid to bite the hand that feeds. Why not ask directly why GT games are consistently the worst sounding games? And when the reply comes in that the sound has been redone this time, follow it up by saying sure, but is still poor in comparison to most games, how can a studio with the resources of PD so consistently fail where smaller studios like Kunos succeed? etc.

Instead its more like; Mr yamauchi, has the sound improved in GTS? "yes its totally redone". That is excellent news very well done Mr Yamauchi.

Now I haven't actually read any of your interviews this time around, but I bet you asked nothing about how bad driving will be addresses online, nothing about how corner cutting or wall bouncing will be addressed. Nothing about what measures have been put in place to prevent hybrids online etc. There are so many things that to big sites dont cover that GTP should. But in the end GTP covers identical ground to the rest of them so in the end what is the point of GTP going?

??

Thankfully, journalism involves a lot more than simply being a bit unpleasant to people.

Also, this is an entertainment product. GTP is a fansite. Why on earth would they want to be barred from future events for being directly confrontational and unpleasant to the people that make the game?

Why not ask directly why GT games are consistently the worst sounding games? And when the reply comes in that the sound has been redone this time, follow it up by saying sure, but is still poor in comparison to most games, how can a studio with the resources of PD so consistently fail where smaller studios like Kunos succeed? etc.

How to get black-listed by a large corporation 101.

This is not how journalism works, especially for a site like GTP. The wording and 'soft' interview questions are techniques to try and get the answers people want without just spewing fan-driven moaning and complaints in an incorrect aggressive manner. There may be outlets in other industries or fields that can be as pushy and interrogative as they want since they have the backing to do so - but if you expect GTPlanet to criticize and 'corner' Yamauchi, Sony or anyone associated with the GT franchise I feel you may be misguided.

Last edited:
No, its not what I am looking for. Why not turn asm off? Why not turn off abs and lock it up? Do a dount etc.

And this kind of thinking is why you will never go to these events. I guarantee you wouldn't last as a journalist with that sort of mindset.

Kaz's still favorite answers to questions frm journalists:

1. There is a possibility
2. We're focusing at something else
3. It's technically possible
4. I'd love to

I mean I just so see him saying this crap (in japanese of course)

Kaz IS creative guy. Uncertainty is main quality about those people. always waiting for inspiration to come.
Those didn't know what will happen tomorrow lol :lol:.
I know because I'm a musician. :cheers:

You sound like a swell guy.

What I've seen with Q&A's is that you need to put yourself in the position of the person you're interviewing.

If I was in Kaz's position surely there's some questions I wouldn't/couldn't or be unwilling to answer. Particularly since there's uncertainty to a lot of things and game development is unpredictable. If I was put into a corner where an interview seemed more as an interrogation, then yeah, I wouldn't be so willing to do interviews in future with certain individuals.

Not only that but it affects your integrity as an interviewer or journalist.

But that's just me.

After some disappointing previews from Eurogamer and Videogamer, this article from GameSpot is really good! PS4's sexiest racing game! :D

Despite this subtle shift in focus, however, Sport is still very much a Gran Turismo game, as I recently learned during a brief but illuminating hands-on session. The game treats cars with religious reverence, painstakingly recreating every detail from the dash to the handling. Sport contains 137 vehicles total, including concept cars, hypercars, and licensed vehicles from 27 different manufacturers. And unlike previous Gran Turismo games, every single ride has been given the premium treatment, with authentic, highly detailed modeling inside and out.

The attention to detail throughout is downright maniacal. You can see the leather stitching on your Audi's steering wheel, and individual flecks of asphalt catch the sunlight as you whip past. Though the environments still can’t quite match the fidelity of the cars, Sports’ world looks substantially better than any previous Gran Turismo game. It’s not afraid to show it off, either: nearly every menu slowly pans over whatever car you currently have selected, lingering on every curve. There’s even a new mode that lets you create custom images, realistically rendering digital cars over high resolution photographs of global locales.

This may also be the best Gran Turismo has ever sounded. Not only does every engine rev come through crisp and clear, you can catch details like crunch of gravel when you slide off the track and the satisfying shunk of a powerful shift. Interestingly, however, Sport still doesn’t contain damage modeling. While that’s consistent with series tradition, it does somewhat detract from the steadfast realism that permeates the rest of the game.

The handling, on the other hand, feels as realistic as ever.

While there’s still plenty more to see, Gran Turismo Sport is so far shaping up to be worthy addition to the series’ tradition of hardcore simulation excellence.

This guy doesn't look like he plays racing games often to be honest. It's easy to be impressed by the physics and sounds if you're used to playing console racers on a dualshock, and suddenly plays with a high end wheel like the T300. I bet the InsideSimRacing review is a lot more representative of the physics side.

The "Super Premium" cars, I wonder if they have the underbody and engine bays modeled, like in Forza? Seems to be such a waste redoing them otherwise - the outsides look good enough for me in GT6 and PD doesn't need to be doing redundant things when they can be modeling new cars.

I don't think that Comfort or Sports tires give us better, more realistic physics. They're more tricky to drive, but Gran Turismo physics had always been too 'slippy'. I mean cars doesn't feel planted to the ground, if you go too fast, tyres will scream and you will slide to the outside of the curve. There's no proper feeling of the weight of the car. Understeer is too much pronounced, every time it feels just like when you lock front wheels. You don't feel the weight of the car pushing it to the outside, you just slide with this terrible squeak. Even on Hard Slicks. On Comfort tyres this effect is even more intensive resulting in even more unrealistic car behavior IMO.

Look at this video and compare it to the GT. In real life cars don't slide like in GT series.

Different than what I experienced driving and building replicas and online tunes. Cars usually slide too much because of the driver, not the car or the tires, knowing where is the limit and stay on the edge is what makes driving less slidey or drifty, are those even english words :lol:

Go to my garage, check some of the last few pages, I included replays of my test runs, cars like 458 Italia on CS, CTR2 on CM at London and Midfield ( the RUF is awesome ), even the Yellowbird is on CM ( to reflect real life performance at Tsukuba )

Too many get used to high grip level of GT tires, most of the sports and racing tires are way too much if going by real life level of grip. McLaren F1 GTR seems to be somewhere between SH and SM ( similar performance to 90's slick period ), it's already a monster on SH ( in terms of cornering and braking )

This is an example, RUF CTR GT6 vs AC :

And the driver/uploader review/impression :

What I expect from GTS is to get closer to AC if not matched it, if that's not possible at least reach LFS level of simulation.

These 2 posts sums up how I feel about GT.

First of all you have to remember that physics and FFB/feel are 2 different things and not necessarily related. You can have good physics with bad FFB, bad physics with good FFB, bad both or good both.

Now, the physics and FFB in GT is quite good, but it is nowhere near the level of PC sims such as AC. Physics is what determines the laptimes (cars in GT can take corners faster = faster laptimes). The FFB however is lacking, so you don't feel the tyre grip or weight transfer properly, and the car feels more "slidey". That's how you can get faster laptimes, even though you feel you have less grip (there's actually more, but it's just not conveyed to your hands properly).

AC on the other hand, has more demanding physics and less grip overall (hence slower laptimes). BUT what little grip there is, it's communicated perfectly at all times to your hands. You can feel the tyre grip and how it changes as the rubber deforms, the suspension loading/unloading with every throttle/brake application, every subtle onset of under/oversteer. So even though the car is sliding around, you can control and anticipate every movement and it feels grippier (it's actually not, but it's just conveyed better to your hands).

The big problem with GT I think is their poor tyre modeling. When I drive PC sims like rFactor, LFS or AC I can feel that the tyres are air filled round things that deform with load and forces. With GT it just feels like a round brick that has stickiness, until the physics engine suddenly decides it's the limit. I think this is also why we have not seen tyre pressure adjustments in any GT game - perhaps they aren't even modeled! If PD can sort this out I bet the driving and feel in GT will be instantly much better.

Judging the game's physics from a video is pretty similar to eating soup with a fork.
Besides, what is the gigantic problem with driving aids being there? They are super helpful if I still am trying to learn the game (and boy is it satisfying when you can finally control a MR Ferrari without them), or when at times I use a car I just can't handle for the life of me.

They can always be disabled so what is the big deal if someone does use them?
Because that's not how you behave towards the man who created a racing franchise that some of us here have been enjoying for the past nearly 20 years. Unless you want to be banned from future interviews, of course.

"Hey Kaz why is your game consistently bad when it comes to X?"
Manners aside, do you think anyone will be taken seriously with this attitude?
(...) In the end GTP covers identical ground to the rest of them so in the end what is the point of GTP going?
How about keeping together quarter million people who collectively enjoy and share their passion for Polyphony's racing franchise?

I'm considerably more excited for Gran Turismo Sport than I initially would have expected. I've always enjoyed the anticipation that comes with the pre-release hype, especially when we're still ever so unenlightened regarding certain aspects of the game.

In particular, I'm rather interested in seeing what the game looks like under rainy weather conditions.

In Gran Turismo 6, a common pastime in which I seemingly never became tired of was cruising a rainy Nurburgring in my Toyota 2000GT. It wasn't uncommon for me to drive and practice in the rain for hours. Perhaps I found a sense of relaxation in it that I've yet to experience in other driving games.

Speaking of the Nurburgring, the 24 hour race is soon. Intriguing.

This guy doesn't look like he plays racing games often to be honest. It's easy to be impressed by the physics and sounds if you're used to playing console racers on a dualshock, and suddenly plays with a high end wheel like the T300. I bet the InsideSimRacing review is a lot more representative of the physics side.

The "Super Premium" cars, I wonder if they have the underbody and engine bays modeled, like in Forza? Seems to be such a waste redoing them otherwise - the outsides look good enough for me in GT6 and PD doesn't need to be doing redundant things when they can be modeling new cars.

These 2 posts sums up how I feel about GT.

First of all you have to remember that physics and FFB/feel are 2 different things and not necessarily related. You can have good physics with bad FFB, bad physics with good FFB, bad both or good both.

Now, the physics and FFB in GT is quite good, but it is nowhere near the level of PC sims such as AC. Physics is what determines the laptimes (cars in GT can take corners faster = faster laptimes). The FFB however is lacking, so you don't feel the tyre grip or weight transfer properly, and the car feels more "slidey". That's how you can get faster laptimes, even though you feel you have less grip (there's actually more, but it's just not conveyed to your hands properly).

AC on the other hand, has more demanding physics and less grip overall (hence slower laptimes). BUT what little grip there is, it's communicated perfectly at all times to your hands. You can feel the tyre grip and how it changes as the rubber deforms, the suspension loading/unloading with every throttle/brake application, every subtle onset of under/oversteer. So even though the car is sliding around, you can control and anticipate every movement and it feels grippier (it's actually not, but it's just conveyed better to your hands).

The big problem with GT I think is their poor tyre modeling. When I drive PC sims like rFactor, LFS or AC I can feel that the tyres are air filled round things that deform with load and forces. With GT it just feels like a round brick that has stickiness, until the physics engine suddenly decides it's the limit. I think this is also why we have not seen tyre pressure adjustments in any GT game - perhaps they aren't even modeled! If PD can sort this out I bet the driving and feel in GT will be instantly much better.

Imagine if I had a wheel all these years :lol:, instead I stuck with 10 years old DS2 now :( Still, I can play LFS with DS2 just fine on my crappy single core laptop. All GTS needs is tires that behave like rubber with air or real tires, that's all :D

For the interview stuff with Kaz, we need to get Kaz best buddy to do it, so he/she can say things we can't say :lol:

I'm considerably more excited for Gran Turismo Sport than I initially would have expected. I've always enjoyed the anticipation that comes with the pre-release hype, especially when we're still ever so unenlightened regarding certain aspects of the game.

In particular, I'm rather interested in seeing what the game looks like under rainy weather conditions.

In Gran Turismo 6, a common pastime in which I seemingly never became tired of was cruising a rainy Nurburgring in my Toyota 2000GT. It wasn't uncommon for me to drive and practice in the rain for hours. Perhaps I found a sense of relaxation in it that I've yet to experience in other driving games.

Speaking of the Nurburgring, the 24 hour race is soon. Intriguing.
There is something about the nurburgring in the rain, by yourself in a low powered car. it is rather eerie, but very relaxing. :D

Back