Gran Turismo Sport: General Discussion

• Thread starter Formidable
  • 47,123 comments
As @eran0004 said, it is a lot easier to knock out a fictional scene like these using mostly existing assets and also not having to worry about accuracy and performance budget. I highly doubt these would be worked on by any of the track guys of experience either, this would probably be a good job for the interns getting to grips with the engine.

If that's the case then,

Airstrip for drags pls.

Parking lots with cones for Autocross pls.

Mount Akina replica GT style pls.

Shouldn't take long according to what you said no?

If by "airstrip" you mean a big flat tarmac space without any details what so ever then no it would not take very long. Keep in mind that you'd need to put more work into the background scenery though, as airstrips rarely are located in the middle of dense forests.

If you want more details, textures, landing lights, buildings etc. then it takes longer. Same thing applies for the parking lots. A parking lot on the middle of the desert would be a fairly quick and easy job. A parking lot in the middle of a city would require more work.

Mount Akina is in no way comparable to creating a small forest scene like this.

If by "airstrip" you mean a big flat tarmac space without any details what so ever then no it would not take very long. Keep in mind that you'd need to put more work into the background scenery though, as airstrips rarely are located in the middle of dense forests.

If you want more details, textures, landing lights, buildings etc. then it takes longer. Same thing applies for the parking lots. A parking lot on the middle of the desert would be a fairly quick and easy job. A parking lot in the middle of a city would require more work.

Mount Akina is in no way comparable to creating a small forest scene like this.

Let's say an airstrip similar to the Red Bull one from GT5, green hills in the background. Maybe some city lights.

In terms of a parking lot, the first thing once would think of is within a shopping complex. Maybe even covered parking.

Hmmmm, lemme rather say something like this

Let's say an airstrip similar to the Red Bull one from GT5, green hills in the background. Maybe some city lights.

Let's take a look at the forest scene. How far do we actually see? 200 meters at most? Let's say that the entire scene is 500 x 500 meters.

Now let's take a look at the Red Bull airstrip. How far do we see? 5-10 kilometers? You see the difference in size now, we have one scene that is 0.25 square kilometers in size, and another that is 100 square kilometers in size. Now, with the larger scene, the level of detail would drop the further away you're from the main area, so it's not like it would require 400 times the work of the forest scene, but maybe 40? So now we go from one day of work to 40 days of work. But that also depends on whether it's a real location or a fantasy location, and how detailed you want the scenery to be. A generic scenery like Eifel in GT6 could be done in a couple of days, but if you're using a real location with real landmarks and landscape features, then it takes time to make it happen.

In terms of a parking lot, the first thing once would think of is within a shopping complex. Maybe even covered parking.

An indoors parking space without any windows would be faster than an outdoors parking space. You'd still need textures for the ground and quite a lot of props, but you wouldn't have to build a big scenery around it all. Chances are that the scene might feel a little claustrophobic, but maybe that's not a big problem. Considering the props and textures needed I'd say it would take about a week, unless you can use props and textures already created. Keep in mind that in addition to making the actual model, you'd also need to add collision geometry, so that the cars doesn't simply drive through the walls. And if you want the scene to play a part in the game rather than just be a general free roaming area, you'd need to work on the game aspect as well: designing an autocross course through the parking lot, maybe even a couple of different variations? Should the player be able to create his/her own autocross course, then you need to develop a tool for that, etc. So in total this might very well add up to a month or more, depending on what you want to do with the scene.

Hmmmm, lemme rather say something like this

That would take months.

Last edited:
Superb summary :)

Forgive me for being a bit cheeky but are you able to shed any light on "Seattle Short" apparently being used for qualifying for the event, but was never actually shown?

seattle-short-jpg.548043

I mentioned this on my earlier post for this discussion.

Looking at the driver profile screen there's a couple of things that puzzle me:

IMG_1269.jpg

1. The fact that a driver has both a "level" rating and a "class" rating. I'm not sure why these measures are there separately and wonder what different purposes they serve.

2. Anyone got any ideas what the "458" number below the number of credits could represent? The symbol beside it is pretty ambiguous but what worries me is it looks like a stack of coins...........they wouldn't dare consider putting in a 2nd "premium" form of currency in would they?

Honestly, 3D modelling isn't as hard as you might think. They probably spent very few resources on that scene, especially if it's a fantasy scene rather than a real location. All you need is a basic ground mesh, spam some trees all over the place, add a pool of water, a skybox and some basic props and then you're done. At most it would take a day, if you really want to work on the details, but you could have the basics set up within an hour.

Compare that to making an actual 🤬 race course, which takes months to do. For a long track like Nürburgring it could even be measured in years, depending in how accurate you want the surroundings to be.

Yeah, without knowing their workflow and tools and all that jazz it's just guesswork.

Need some more news. Hopefully this weekend.

1. The fact that a driver has both a "level" rating and a "class" rating. I'm not sure why these measures are there separately and wonder what different purposes they serve.

2. Anyone got any ideas what the "458" number below the number of credits could represent? The symbol beside it is pretty ambiguous but what worries me is it looks like a stack of coins...........they wouldn't dare consider putting in a 2nd "premium" form of currency in would they?

There seems to be quite a lot of redundant stats on this screen. Laps/endurance, safety/sportsmanship points, level/driver class and the credits/coins currency as you said. I really hope PD doesn't go into the whole microtransaction double currency crap that has plagued so many games...

IMG_1269.jpg

Some of these items could be placeholder stuff, so take it with a grain of salt. The coins could be representing money from sponsors or donations from fans (note that the presentation says "professional gamer"), but that doesn't mean that such a feature will actually exist in the game. Basically, what this slide says is: "There will be a profile page and it will contain many informations". Everything else may be subject to change.

IMG_1269.jpg

It's obviously a pile of tires.
John owns 468 tires.

Noticed something the interior view near the end 4:26 - 4:51 the camera goes back and forth with the G forces. When the car accelerates the camera goes back, and forward when on the breaks. I always played in hood view on GT6, so I don't know if this is something new in GTS ??

I find it strange how Yamauchi complains about how challenging the PS3 was and how PS4 is so easy to optimize. And yet what they've had on PS3 seems much more impressive technically. GTS removes dynamic ToD/Weather, but what is there to show for it? A small bump in resolution from 1440*1080 to FullHD? 4 more cars on the grid? Still blocky shadows? Very strange considering how big of a jump Forza made, from 720p to 1080p, 12 vs 24 cars on track, night/rain, all still with locked 60 fps at all times and on weaker platforms to boot. I've always considered PD a lot better at pushing platforms than T10, but I might have to reconsider that.

I find it strange how Yamauchi complains about how challenging the PS3 was and how PS4 is so easy to optimize. And yet what they've had on PS3 seems much more impressive technically. GTS removes dynamic ToD/Weather, but what is there to show for it? A small bump in resolution from 1440*1080 to FullHD? 4 more cars on the grid? Still blocky shadows? Very strange considering how big of a jump Forza made, from 720p to 1080p, 12 vs 24 cars on track, night/rain, all still with locked 60 fps at all times and on weaker platforms to boot. I've always considered PD a lot better at pushing platforms than T10, but I might have to reconsider that.
PD ain't special anymore.

Anyone got any ideas what the "458" number below the number of credits could represent? The symbol beside it is pretty ambiguous but what worries me is it looks like a stack of coins...........they wouldn't dare consider putting in a 2nd "premium" form of currency in would they?

Maybe it's a secondary "currency" that allows you to rent a car for X number races instead of buying it? In case you don't have enough money to buy, let's say, a Gr.1 car, you instead rent it with that "special currency" to use in one race.

This is actually a good point that you make there, when you think about it GT6 wasn't even that bad.
If all yhe efforts are only to produce nifty graphics and resolution it's certain they'll stay back. Playing PCar made me realize how much was GT impact on the racing genre. This is the point, it had an important impact but it appears that it can't keep up with modern competition, everyone took notes at what GT could give and diversified/doubled.

I wonder if they would... my first thought when I looked at that was Metal Gear V's MB coins.

If that's the case then,

Airstrip for drags pls.

Parking lots with cones for Autocross pls.

Mount Akina replica GT style pls.

Shouldn't take long according to what you said no?
Assetto Corsa. Core staff of 12. 28 in total. Sim racing game. Drag Strip. No idea how it works I've never been there but it's there.

drag.jpg

So PD is turning Gran Turismo Sport into iRacing in everyway possible. The large online focus, limited tracks and cars, events only starting on a scheduled basis, fixed time of days, safety rating and actual rating, endurance races and teams. The only thing missing is stock cars and open wheelers and you may as well call this iRacing PS4 edition.

This is exactly why GTS has come across so underwhelming IMO. I expected to be drooling over lots of new stuff Polyphony has brought to the table but I'm still more exited over the possibility of the 'GPS data to course creator' getting released for GT6.

When Polyphony sends it's cars, they’re not sending their best. They’re sending cars that have lots of problems, and they’re bringing those problems with us. They’re bringing Daihatsu Midgets. They’re bringing Fiat 500s. They’re slow. And some, I assume, are good cars.

:lol:

I have bought every GT game since GT3. I pre-ordered GT5 and bought GT6 within it's first week. The thing that should worry PD is that someone like me, who, though critical of the many flaws of their last two games, has supported them and bought and enjoyed all of their games since PS2 (used to hire out/borrow the PS1 titles), is not planning to buy GTS. I may pick it up second hand once everyone returns it lol, but no way will I pay full price for it.

The worrying thing is, I'm in no way excited for GTS. It's utterly underwhelming at this stage, and I say that as a massive car nut, a massive racing fan, and a massive racing game fan. I've got 8 racing games on PS4. I'm very excited about AC on consoles, and plan on buying it soon after release if it doesn't turn out to have huge Pcars style issues (I doubt it will, but anything's possible), and after seeing the details of F1 2016, I am definnitely getting that, as it looks and sounds amazing, a big step up for the series. But when I read all the details about GTS, I was bummed out. I can see I'm by far not the only one who feels this way.

I have bought every GT game since GT3. I pre-ordered GT5 and bought GT6 within it's first week. The thing that should worry PD is that someone like me, who, though critical of the many flaws of their last two games, has supported them and bought and enjoyed all of their games since PS2 (used to hire out/borrow the PS1 titles), is not planning to buy GTS. I may pick it up second hand once everyone returns it lol, but no way will I pay full price for it.

The worrying thing is, I'm in no way excited for GTS. It's utterly underwhelming at this stage, and I say that as a massive car nut, a massive racing fan, and a massive racing game fan. I've got 8 racing games on PS4. I'm very excited about AC on consoles, and plan on buying it soon after release if it doesn't turn out to have huge Pcars style issues (I doubt it will, but anything's possible), and after seeing the details of F1 2016, I am definnitely getting that, as it looks and sounds amazing, a big step up for the series. But when I read all the details about GTS, I was bummed out. I can see I'm by far not the only one who feels this way.

I have to agree. I have played every Gran Turismo game since Gran Turismo 1, and I am in all honesty, not very excited either. The reason is it is just not a compelling game. Sure is has next generation graphics and physics. However, I was expecting a full featured Gran Turismo game like all the previous games in the series. It should scare Polyphony with all the comparable racing games being released (Forza, Project Cars, etc), and the very slow nature of Gran Turismo releases. Gran Turismo was the best of the best of racing simulators, but now with them releasing a side game, and Gran Turismo 7 not coming out to like 2018, it is not any longer, which is very saddening. :(

I have to agree. I have played every Gran Turismo game since Gran Turismo 1, and I am in all honesty, not very excited either. The reason is it is just not a compelling game. Sure is has next generation graphics and physics. However, I was expecting a full featured Gran Turismo game like all the previous games in the series. It should scare Polyphony with all the comparable racing games being released (Forza, Project Cars, etc), and the very slow nature of Gran Turismo releases. Gran Turismo was the best of the best of racing simulators, but now with them releasing a side game, and Gran Turismo 7 not coming out to like 2018, it is not any longer, which is very saddening. :(

Not to mention, if we really won't have GT7 'till around 2018, how realistic is it's chances of being able to compete with Forza by then? T10 have something like 600 proper current gen cars, and PD have 100. If they bring back GT6 premiums, we'll have another quality split in the models like GT5, but still, by 2018, we'll have bloody Forza 8 with 2000 cars, at the rate T10 is going lol. Forza is still staying true to the GT style recipe, and GT is moving away from it. With GT7 no doubt PD will go back to that recipe, but they'll be way behind T10 by then.

I should say, I'm not trying to hate on PD or GT. I'm saying this because it's genuinely saddening to see it unfold like this. I won't buy an XBox, not because I have anything against them, I don't, but because I can only justify spending that kind of money on one console per gen. I have a family and a lot of expenses, so I could never justify spending so much on what are expensive toys. If my wheel worked on XB1, I might consider picking up a cheap second hand console, but it doesn't so I'd have to fork over another $500+ for an XB1 compatible wheel. At that point the mrs would castrate me, so forget it. If I was to spend that kind of cash on gaming, I'd say goodbye to consoles and build a gaming PC and move my wheel over to that platform. In saying that, if for some insane reason MS dropped T10 and T10 started releasing Forza games for PS4 as well, I doubt I'd ever touch another GT game, as I honestly can't see them every catching up to Forza again.

I'm in the same boat, mate. Purchased every game since GT1. I stayed exclusively with PD because there was no competition on PS platforms. Then GT5 and 6 happened. Then PCARS came along. I've been spoiled with PCARS. Time/weather on all tracks. Real world numbers for car suspension/etc. Tuning is not @$$-backwards. UDP stream/apps... on console! I look at PD and expect some innovation with GTS. Instead this...

This is a good point actually.

Looks more fully-featured than your usual scape, it seems.

Does make you wonder why they wasted so many resources on this crap than, you know, actual bloody race courses, or more cars, or offline features, or better sound, etc etc etc...

Noticed something the interior view near the end 4:26 - 4:51 the camera goes back and forth with the G forces. When the car accelerates the camera goes back, and forward when on the breaks. I always played in hood view on GT6, so I don't know if this is something new in GTS ??
It was the same in GT6, bit a lot less noticeable.

So PD is turning Gran Turismo Sport into iRacing in everyway possible. The large online focus, limited tracks and cars, events only starting on a scheduled basis, fixed time of days, safety rating and actual rating, endurance races and teams. The only thing missing is stock cars and open wheelers and you may as well call this iRacing PS4 edition.

Except with far better graphics, probably better physics (iracing is very over rated in terms of physics), a better selection of better looking cars, a better selection of better looking tracks and all for a small fraction of the cost. Sounds like much win to me.

Back