Gran Turismo Sport: General Discussion

• Thread starter Formidable
  • 47,123 comments
I was just stating I was tired of getting hyped up over nothing.

And yes it was a Forza Game, that feature has been available for years with them it seems, new to me though.

I know you can do the same in GT5 with a few tricks too.

We know PD is mature, to the point of being downright geriatric in certain aspects, I never stated they were not.

Plus, like I said I was bored... Sorry

It doesn't fill me with confidence because he gives zero details and has made so many similar statements and promises before. We've heard them so many times and the result is usually a disappointment.

"Real time damage is coming to GT5"

https://www.gtplanet.net/brand-new-real-time-damage-coming-to-gran-turismo-5/

"Mechanical Damage is coming to GT5"

https://www.vg247.com/2010/12/01/kazunori-gt5-to-get-mechanical-damage-update-this-month/
There was mechanical damage in GT5.

There was mechanical damage in GT5.
And "melted plastic" "real time damage" :D

Hopefully the extra clout on PS4 and dropping the Standards means that it'll look a little more convincing this time.

The extra graphical poke in the box and the increased RAM has already shown that the scrapes and dirt aspects (also already in GT5) will be vastly improved.

And "melted plastic" "real time damage" :D

Hopefully the extra clout on PS4 and dropping the Standards means that it'll look a little more convincing this time.

The extra graphical poke in the box and the increased RAM has already shown that the scrapes and dirt aspects (also already in GT5) will be vastly improved.

I honestly believe the Standard Cars in GT5 and GT6 held back the damage in those games. I am by no means a modeler for game development but it is my understanding that the Standards were one piece while the premiums were individually paneled.

We should see a marked improvement.

First porsche in GT?

http://porschevisiongt.com/

Porsche-908-04-Vision-GT-Alan-Derosier-1-1024x370.jpg

I was just stating I was tired of getting hyped up over nothing.

And yes it was a Forza Game, that feature has been available for years with them it seems, new to me though.

I know you can do the same in GT5 with a few tricks too.

We know PD is mature, to the point of being downright geriatric in certain aspects, I never stated they were not.

Plus, like I said I was bored... Sorry

Damage in FM game was a joke. Really.

Already shown what? You mean the scrapes and dirt on the Audi R18? ...Pretty sure it was modeled like that, as on all video clips / pics we've seen of it, it shows the exact same wear and tear.

Already shown what? You mean the scrapes and dirt on the Audi R18? ...Pretty sure it was modeled like that, as on all video clips / pics we've seen of it, it shows the exact same wear and tear.
So they remodeled it for that specific purpose? Why? (As for it being the same, they already had a way to "save" damage before GT6 released, but that was never included in the end).

Or do you mean that someone went through and added little splats to it, a la livery editor, using hand-made textures?

Or do you suppose, instead, they used the pre-existing procedural splatifier from GT5 and injected some high-res splats and trick shaders instead of the mushy textures used on PS3?

When it comes to "simplest explanation", the last one wins hands-down. :)

@Griffith500 We've been over this before, they remodeled ALL cars for GT Sport.

No one used a livery editor to make those scuff marks and bug splats, they most likely modeled an actual car with those imperfections already on it. Don't know who said it and when or in which thread, but someone said this exact thing in more detail than I remember. Someone, please quote that post, if you remember what I mean.

No.

The "simplest" explanation" to what caused the car to look like it, is what I try to say. They took the actual car, with its scuff marks and bug splats, modeled it to detail with those details.

@Griffith500 We've been over this before, they remodeled ALL cars for GT Sport.

No one used a livery editor to make those scuff marks and bug splats, they most likely modeled an actual car with those imperfections already on it. Don't know who said it and when or in which thread, but someone said this exact thing in more detail than I remember. Someone, please quote that post, if you remember what I mean.

No.

The "simplest" explanation" to what caused the car to look like it, is what I try to say. They took the actual car, with its scuff marks and bug splats, modeled it to detail with those details.
That is extremely unlikely and actually really difficult to do. Tell me this: how do you go from the clean car to the dirty one? Just swap the models over after so many miles? Blend the models (somehow...)?? EDIT: I guess the simplest option is to always use the dirty one, which isn't much better.

But congratulations to all the self-appointed experts, anyway. :D

Last edited:
Nah. I'm serious. We've discussed this over the past too. Someone said, and I loosely quote; Winner cars irl never gets washed, they get displayed in the same fashion they looked when they won. Which is why the Audi R18 looks like it is banged up with scratches and dirt. Because the modelers included it. Look at the picture of the cars showing us how we choose to race. Real Gr1 cars, Real and Fictional Gr1, Real Gr3 cars, Real and Fictional Gr3 cars. In that pic, and multiple others, you clearly see scratches and dirt on the R18.

Said picture, without the text:
image.jpeg
image.png

Last edited:
Nah. I'm serious. We've discussed this over the past too. Someone said and I loosely quote: Winner cars irl never gets washed, they get displayed in the same fashion they looked when they won. Which is why the Audi R18 looks like it is banged up with scratches and dirt. Because the modelers included it. Look at the picture of the cars showing us how we choose to race. Real Gr1 cars, Real and Fictional Gr1, Real Gr3 cars, Real and Fictional Gr3 cars. In that pic, and multiple others, you clearly see scratches and dirt on the R18.

View attachment 567533 View attachment 567534

OK, I see the logic, and I don't want to repeat a discussion that I may have missed, but this would surely be more interestingly, and dynamically handled by a system, in-game?

I'd imagine it's fairly easy to dirty up a texture with noise layers and whatnot... Especially with the 'power' of the PS4

;)

And my memory suck because I can't find a genuine quote. @jm79 But yes of course! That should be easy and it should look that good. But problem with what we've seen so far, trailers, pics, in-game videos from all over the place.. Is that Kaz said they didn't implement any damage - visual or mechanical - to the builds we've seen.

From what I can tell, the dirt on the modeled car does not match 1:1 to the real car, in fact it differs substantially in all areas. So the idea that they used the dirt from the real car (i.e. from photographs directly) isn't strictly true - although they obviously have reference material of the real thing (race grime in general at the very least) going by the overall effect.

5947194284_eb1bbc57a3_b.jpg

Gran-Turismo-Sport-8_c.jpg

The artists either made some dirty texture overlays by hand that come close (ish), or it's a "snapshot" (e.g. baked to texture) of a procedural method, or intended to be a "target" for the final build to whet our appetite based on a mixture of prototype output and hand-authored work. The number decals (and anything else that is treated as a decal in their livery system) in particular look separate in some way, but the streaks, smudges and blobs could easily be generated by the looks of them (using a combination of morphed primitives, small textures - like the carbon effect - and shaders), both on the decals and on the paintwork.

There appears to be a severe mapping error of the dirty texture on at least two locations on the car. That is not at all typical of PD's handiwork, which might suggest it was cobbled together.

Hopefully we'll find out for sure, soon.

Last edited:
It looks like that some spanish journalists have played GT sport today at Madrid.
Anything new in this article? (en espanol)
http://www.laps4.com/avances/429287-gt_sport_7_curvas_gran_turismo_7.html

Nothing new but all good news...in resume: graphically speaking the game looks a lot better than what we saw before (also performance got better, stable 60FPS, some tearing here and there still tho), the handling (Physics) is really good and they are working with AI and collisions to make them better, also they confirm that we can change the difficulty level and performance of the AI, split screen multiplayer, social features are great, the game will be compatible with Play Station VR (confirmed by the product manager of Polyphony Digital himself), different competitive modes for rookies (noobs! lol) so everyone can compete in "inferior" leagues and then go up from there up to the level you can reach of course (that in competitive modes online), the game is set to last for years since this is more like a substitute for GT7 (not a prologue not GT7, because of the name I guess...) and they are planning to evolve the game even more through the years.

Pretty much that.

It looks like that some spanish journalists have played GT sport today at Madrid.
Anything new in this article? (en espanol)
http://www.laps4.com/avances/429287-gt_sport_7_curvas_gran_turismo_7.html
Going by Google Translate there is nothing new in there. I did find the last bit a little interesting though...

"And one more aspect that the game 's producer wanted to repair and which has not been discussed too jacks previous contact or news about it . In Polyphony are clear that, when buying a video game today, what we buy is a service rather than a product finished and closed . We've seen it with Driveclub, Street Fighter V, Destiny or Overwatch : keep active the community is essential. And the best way is to add, change, brand or expand, so we have to start understanding GT Sport as the gateway to the competition Gran Turismo arriving this November to stay with us for a long time, to be increased and adjusted by patching and updates to make expansions or to give that talk beyond what they would other business lines, such as annual installments of FIFA, Call of Duty or NBA 2K , for example. This is a title that intends to go to the last with the current trends of competitive success online. And with that, of course, be one of the leading names of eSports."

Back