Gran Turismo Sport: General Discussion

• Thread starter Formidable
  • 47,123 comments
What do you mean? I suppose I'm suggesting a class for "track-day" cars instead of leaving them in Gr.X. They seem similar enough to be in a singular class, and I do like Gr.X being good for one-make cars like the W08, or some of the VGTs like the Daihatsu one. But I think some cars in Gr.X could be taken out of there and made into new groups, like a "Gr.SF" for the Super Formula cars.

Also what do you also suggest I do if not post here? I don't think I can reach out to anyone at PD or SIE about anything. That's why I post on forums like there because it feels like my best bet for anybody actively involved in my favorite IPs to read what I have to write about them, even if I'll never get their feedback on these things.

It all feels so hopeless and frustrating to have a lot of ideas, suggestions, and questions, but there's no way to know what's a good or bad idea because there's so much - including potential limitations - that can't be disclosed. Nobody to really talk with, really - too much of the process feels opaque. So it feels like my best bet is to post here, I guess.

Maybe I'd save myself the frustration and heartbreak if I just stopped playing videogames altogether, as long as I keep seeing potential in certain IPs, stories, game mechanics, etc. that I'll never be able to realize in a thousand years.
Try this if you haven't. https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/board/features.341/ Maybe someone has posted features you'd like to see or discuss.

Try this if you haven't. https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/board/features.341/ Maybe someone has posted features you'd like to see or discuss.

Yeah. I just posted a few things between there and the track suggestion forum, but none of those three forums seem that active. I just don’t know what to do.

EDIT: And what the hell happened to the Pit Stop idea that PD had? There was the blog, but also a YouTube channel. Both were seemingly abandoned almost as soon as they started up! Then there was the Kaz Q&A forum here which had ONE question tagged as being answered before being closed. Wasn’t there also a Reddit AMA with him?

Honestly, so many things about PD, their design decisions, and communications strategies infuriate me. It leaves me (and others) to start assuming the worst regarding their competence, even if it’s untrue in reality. I have faith that as a matter of fact, the people at PD are indeed very intelligent and competent, but when so much of the process is opaque like this, that frustration is the sort of stuff that prompts disparaging (and likely untrue) memes about Kaz and PD staff, as fans start filling the gaps in transprency with their imagination. They need a PR department expansion and they needed it like, ten years ago.

Otherwise, someday, I think someone will make a game that’s able to embody the spirit of GT, potentially at a much lower cost of production, and have insane profits compared to GT’s production. High budgets need to parlay into high-quality products, otherwise you should be constantly fearing someone will do what you do, except better, faster, and cheaper. But unfortunately, I’m getting the impression that PD is just resting on their laurels as they seeming neglect the idea of genuinely evolving the series outside of introducing new publicity stunts. They’re free to prove me wrong, but that’d also be an extraordinary departure from their comparatively silent communications.

If I headed PD and Gran Turismo, the series would have no competitor, no substitute. The fact that there are multiple ongoing IPs that are often mentioned alongside Gran Turismo - such as Forza Motorsport, Project CARS, and Assetto Corsa - should be more than enough to make PD seriously nervous. I know it’d make me nervous, if I was the showrunner for Gran Turismo.

Last edited:
No doubt many on here feel similar. Some have left buyinbthe franchise altogether. Some come on here just to have a sticky beak and see if PD have changed.

T10 were that crew that offered something like GT. I bought some of their games. I bought Shift games, NFS, Project Cars 1/2(XB1), AC(XB1 & PS4). I thought in the early years of GT, that I'd never ever buy another racing game, as GT was IT!

The thread about PD mixing the next game with the old and new, may be a rethink by PD moving forward. Kaz mentioning how he felt when revisiting PS2(and PS1?) Gran Turismo games, was a wake up call for him.

As for now, the recent updates are very Nostalgic in flavour. We'll see what happens from here.

Yeah. I just posted a few things between there and the track suggestion forum, but none of those three forums seem that active. I just don’t know what to do.

EDIT: And what the hell happened to the Pit Stop idea that PD had? There was the blog, but also a YouTube channel. Both were seemingly abandoned almost as soon as they started up! Then there was the Kaz Q&A forum here which had ONE question tagged as being answered before being closed. Wasn’t there also a Reddit AMA with him?

Honestly, so many things about PD, their design decisions, and communications strategies infuriate me. It leaves me (and others) to start assuming the worst regarding their competence, even if it’s untrue in reality. I have faith that as a matter of fact, the people at PD are indeed very intelligent and competent, but when so much of the process is opaque like this, that frustration is the sort of stuff that prompts disparaging (and likely untrue) memes about Kaz and PD staff, as fans start filling the gaps in transprency with their imagination. They need a PR department expansion and they needed it like, ten years ago.

Otherwise, someday, I think someone will make a game that’s able to embody the spirit of GT, potentially at a much lower cost of production, and have insane profits compared to GT’s production. High budgets need to parlay into high-quality products, otherwise you should be constantly fearing someone will do what you do, except better, faster, and cheaper. But unfortunately, I’m getting the impression that PD is just resting on their laurels as they seeming neglect the idea of genuinely evolving the series outside of introducing new publicity stunts. They’re free to prove me wrong, but that’d also be an extraordinary departure from their comparatively silent communications.

If I headed PD and Gran Turismo, the series would have no competitor, no substitute. The fact that there are multiple ongoing IPs that are often mentioned alongside Gran Turismo - such as Forza Motorsport, Project CARS, and Assetto Corsa - should be more than enough to make PD seriously nervous. I know it’d make me nervous, if I was the showrunner for Gran Turismo.
My biggest gripe with PD is that the daily races are still weekly. Even with car/track combos that I really like, I'm sick of them within a few days. They should have at least one of them change every day. I liked Sport mode a lot more when all three of them were new every day.

No doubt many on here feel similar. Some have left buyinbthe franchise altogether. Some come on here just to have a sticky beak and see if PD have changed.

T10 were that crew that offered something like GT. I bought some of their games. I bought Shift games, NFS, Project Cars 1/2(XB1), AC(XB1 & PS4). I thought in the early years of GT, that I'd never ever buy another racing game, as GT was IT!

The thread about PD mixing the next game with the old and new, may be a rethink by PD moving forward. Kaz mentioning how he felt when revisiting PS2(and PS1?) Gran Turismo games, was a wake up call for him.

As for now, the recent updates are very Nostalgic in flavour. We'll see what happens from here.

We shall see, indeed. I know that I’ll probably try GT7, if only to give it a fair shake. I just really wish there was more transparency, especially since they abandoned the Pit Stop concept and the GTP Q&A. A couple official pages between the major outlets (e.g. FaceBook, Instagram, Twitter) is just marketing and advertising - which is otherwise fine, but isn’t the same as directly
answering questions and/or addressing suggestions from the community.

I think I’ll see if GamaSutra has a forum. That could be a good place for me to start discussing my ideas for GT as well as other IPs where I see further potential, even including Nintendo’s Steel Diver, or if not IPs, the potential to take elements from other titles (such as an obscure DS JRPG called Infinite Space) and refine them for other IPs, if not a new one altogether. Maybe GamaSutra could even be a place to network, idk.

Either way, super-duper high-res models, HDR, fancy particle effects, Ray-Tracing, 4k TV compatability and whatnot mean absolutely nothing if the game itself is unfun. (Even at best, their benefits are notably dimished.) You’ll just have a fancy tech demo that happens to be a game, and I sometimes fear that’s pretty much what GT is. An impressive but ultimately hollow tech demo that’s otherwise afraid of establishing a more solid, unique identity and building on it, and that stubbornly refuses to take two steps forward without finding a way that it can take one step back. Again, I encourage PD to prove me wrong, but that would require a level of outreach they have yet to display; to fill their silence, I’m afraid they’ve left me to assume the worst.

I mostly just want a game that makes me feel alive again, makes me feel emotions that I rarely get to feel - even emotions that I may have not felt in years. If PD is going to have the bravado to call their studios “ateliers” then they should be putting in a proportional amount of passion into deserving that naming they’ve given themselves. Otherwise, it’s just pretentious!

Last edited:

Maybe we'll see the same comparison pics for tracks in GT7.:drool: All they have to do for the next game is to bring this feeling from the old GTs: a mix of fun and challenging races. GT2 soundtrack was awesome and the tracks were colorful and each one was special.

Maybe we'll see the same comparison pics for tracks in GT7.:drool: All they have to do for the next game is to bring this feeling from the old GTs: a mix of fun and challenging races. GT2 soundtrack was awesome and the tracks were colorful and each one was special.

That's just crazy how we used to play this game. Today, my eyes would hurt trying to forever focus those pixels.

So yesterday I realised that I've nearly got all the cars in the game, only a few of the mega expensive ones to go now. I was never bothered about it before, but now I'm close, I feel I wanna get them all! Might be time to break out the elastic bands!

Sometimes, I wonder if I feel like I may perceive places where there’s potential improvement, and PD (as well as other developers) seem to not see them isn’t because of possible incompetence or laziness on their end, but looking inward, I think it’s because of my condition.

Idk how to describe it without seeming pretentious, but I’d say that I have ADHD and what I can only describe it as ‘higher-than-high’-functioning Autism, or maybe a bit like a demi-savant with less social awkwardness. More of a “drizzle man” than “rain man.”

Think of someone with Aspergers’ (i.e. high-functioning Autism, and a condition that was consolidated into the broader ASD diagnosis in the latest DSM, and thus no longer is listed as its own condition) and think of someone who has the high capacity for memory and retaining information, yet you’d never be able to tell they were on the spectrum unless they told you (as I’m doing now). No signs of the usual nonverbal behavors, but not necessarily as overly-focused as a savant, either. But still more focused than a neurotypical individual, or NT for short. Most people are NT, statistically speaking. This would likely extend to many designers across various fields, including game design.

But I just have no idea how I can really prove myself. I feel like I often get a lot of ideas for following-up on both successful and frozen IPs, and certain design elements within them, even including UI. I’d love to write a story for one someday, too. But I feel like I really prefer being given an outline, or certain goals/limitations, and that when left to my own devices, I may write my ideas down, but I’ll have no idea what I should do after that.

I think I may look into Gamasutra (especially if it has a forum), and reaching out to people at DigiPen, and perhaps attending GDC some day. I know that I may not know what I need to know, but idk how to assess that. I don’t feel like I have time in my life to intimately learn how to competently do every part of the production process, especially coding & programming. I just feel so frustrated, disappointed, and powerless when I see potential in an IP that isn’t being realized and there’s no way to know why, like watching a distant friend get into opioids. Hell, I don’t even want a paid position, necessarily - I just wanna talk, and I’d happily sign NDAs so that whatever is discussed is just between me and them.

Just had a thought as I am watching an on-board hot hatch race on YouTube at Castle Combe raceway in the UK (great channel, funny dude, awesome car, highly recommended) and it hit me: PD is well known for putting weird, quirky cars in their games and it's something they specialize in. Why don't they do the same with race circuits? Sure the very well known tracks that are used by the top racing series are nice, but personally I would prefer some of the lesser known tracks that are still great to drive. Hopefully this becomes a thing in the future.

Sometimes, I wonder if I feel like I may perceive places where there’s potential improvement, and PD (as well as other developers) seem to not see them isn’t because of possible incompetence or laziness on their end, but looking inward, I think it’s because of my condition.

Idk how to describe it without seeming pretentious, but I’d say that I have ADHD and what I can only describe it as ‘higher-than-high’-functioning Autism, or maybe a bit like a demi-savant with less social awkwardness. More of a “drizzle man” than “rain man.”

Think of someone with Aspergers’ (i.e. high-functioning Autism, and a condition that was consolidated into the broader ASD diagnosis in the latest DSM, and thus no longer is listed as its own condition) and think of someone who has the high capacity for memory and retaining information, yet you’d never be able to tell they were on the spectrum unless they told you (as I’m doing now). No signs of the usual nonverbal behavors, but not necessarily as overly-focused as a savant, either. But still more focused than a neurotypical individual, or NT for short. Most people are NT, statistically speaking. This would likely extend to many designers across various fields, including game design.

But I just have no idea how I can really prove myself. I feel like I often get a lot of ideas for following-up on both successful and frozen IPs, and certain design elements within them, even including UI. I’d love to write a story for one someday, too. But I feel like I really prefer being given an outline, or certain goals/limitations, and that when left to my own devices, I may write my ideas down, but I’ll have no idea what I should do after that.

I think I may look into Gamasutra (especially if it has a forum), and reaching out to people at DigiPen, and perhaps attending GDC some day. I know that I may not know what I need to know, but idk how to assess that. I don’t feel like I have time in my life to intimately learn how to competently do every part of the production process, especially coding & programming. I just feel so frustrated, disappointed, and powerless when I see potential in an IP that isn’t being realized and there’s no way to know why, like watching a distant friend get into opioids. Hell, I don’t even want a paid position, necessarily - I just wanna talk, and I’d happily sign NDAs so that whatever is discussed is just between me and them.
There's a lot of useful features that could be included in the game. Having a dedicated free-roam mode is one of them. Another one is the ability to swap or change a car's part from another model like what Forza has. The game should also at least allow motorsport themed cars to be customized aesthetically.

I am concerned if that's what he reads out of people liking the old games.

GT1 and GT2 were just so far ahead of any other racing game. Best graphics, more cars, more tracks, more variety, more depth in how you could progress in the game. That, and the longest event was two hours. That's what creates replay value for people casually playing at these events, there was variety, but you can get your hit in a 20 minute playthrough.

If you were a kid playing it in the 90's it would've melted your head. That's what creates nostalgia. If PD put out games which were as good now as what GT1 and GT2 were then, people in 20 years would be feeling the same nostalgia towards GT Sport.

To recycle some menu themes and include some cars that were in the original games and think that that is what's missing in modern games would be rather foolish.

Last edited:
To recycle some menu themes and include some cars that were in the original games and think that that is what's missing in modern games would be rather foolish.

When you consider that's what some people want, it really just goes to show that Polyphony might be taking the wrong route to making the game better. Especially when you consider that their seemingly narrow minded focus on making a single player campaign (which isn't even any good compared to the competition) is starting to affect the main core of the game, that is the online racing, and yeah, it seems like we might be reaching an impasse soon.

I just really wish there was more transparency, especially since they abandoned the Pit Stop concept and the GTP Q&A. A couple official pages between the major outlets (e.g. FaceBook, Instagram, Twitter) is just marketing and advertising - which is otherwise fine, but isn’t the same as directly
answering questions and/or addressing suggestions from the community.

To be quite honest, I don't think you'll ever get it. Polyphony holds a very important place within the Sony hierarchy - whereas much of the first party development talent has shifted westward, the fact that PD is still there means they hold an almost inflated status within the Sony gaming hierarchy. As such, it's allowed Kaz to basically do whatever he wants, and without much input push back from Sony. To be quite honest, I'm starting to see that might not be for the best, especially, as you say, when it comes to fan communication. I want to say that it might be something that Japanese studios don't see the value of, but by now, I really just think that Polyphony just really doesn't give that much of a **** about coming across as anything but aloof to fans. They'll make statements via interviews with Jordan, or let the World Tour events do the talking, but that's it.

Contrast that with what Forza has done with Forza Monthly streams. Or Ian Bell being active on both the Madness forum and here for PCARS. Hell, go outside the confines of sim racing, and here, and look at what Massive have done with regards to The Division 2 and being up front with fans. Ubisoft has always been a leader in that regard.

Like, I don't think it is absolutely necessary to have constant communication with fans, but there has to be more done then just these frankly pointless silhouette teasers posted at the end of every month, and having fans figure out the rest from what comes out of the World Tour builds or fever pitched rumors. Then you don't get the hullabaloo from stuff like Spa not coming.

I wish I could go back and show this to 10 year old me. I would freak the heck out.

So in my lifetime, we've gone from pixelated renderings to fully detailed models which look real. That's how fast technology changes and it will continue to change until we can't tell what real and what's not.

I am concerned if that's what he reads out of people liking the old games.

GT1 and GT2 were just so far ahead of any other racing game. Best graphics, more cars, more tracks, more variety, more depth in how you could progress in the game. That, and the longest event was two hours. That's what creates replay value for people casually playing at these events, there was variety, but you can get your hit in a 20 minute playthrough.

If you were a kid playing it in the 90's it would've melted your head. That's what creates nostalgia. If PD put out games which were as good now as what GT1 and GT2 were then, people in 20 years would be feeling the same nostalgia towards GT Sport.

Kind of why I think he should have stuck to his guns and kept GT Sport as it was at debut. He have kept getting hate posts until the next game, but GT is HIS vision.
I posted that I wasn't going to buy the game as it was on debut. I bought it after GT League. Still, with the gtp community here, it may have changed my mind sooner. Only thing is, probably majority of consumers, aren't as informed as players in gtplanet and similar sites.

Kaz got players to see cars they wouldn't normally see in their native countries. He's brought those players together in his GT world. The good thing is he recognised the fun in his past creations. Like you, I hope he'll continue to innovate, rather than microwave the same meal over and over.

It just pisses me off so much that PD seems to have abandoned what could have been multiple ways of community communication, between the Pit Stop thing, and the Q&A on GTP. It’s like they have ADHD - something I may have in common with the series, in that case, haha.

I get that Kaz is producer, but what about the directors and design leads? Do they differ by game, or has Kaz been trying to do all three for over two decades? While participating in the actual Nurburgring 24h and being there for occasional interviews and/or publicity stunts? Honestly, he almost seems more like Gran Turismo’s mascot the more I think about it.

Dammit, is there no potential way I can speak with SOMEONE? Why is PD seemingly so lax in the face of competition, and especially when their competition may have superior PR? Is that meme about Japanese culture being insular and refusing to learn from foreigners really true?! Dammit, even GameFreak has better communication these days!

Are declining series’ sales numbers not enough to try deeply looking inward for once? And it’s only in the last month or two that Kaz has learned that it is, in fact, a potentially good idea to learn from the past? Gee golly! No wonder GT’s sales numbers are down, and if it took this long to try analyzing what people enjoy about the series, then maybe it deserves those declining sales, with Mr. Magoo at the helm!

But again, a lot of this vitriol that I have would be tempered if PD would just COMMUNICATE WITH THEIR FANS, just like Turn 10 and SMS do!! Or any other normal business, for that matter!

If this continues, GT won’t deserve to survive past its next installment, for all I care.

Last edited:

If I ruled the world, there would be world peace! :sly:

Why not just msg them on twitter or FB, Devs love hearing from the internet about how their game should do this and that.

If I ruled the world, there would be world peace! :sly:

Why not just msg them on twitter or FB, Devs love hearing from the internet about how their game should do this and that.
I do admit I got a little too emotional there, and I’d like to offer an apology. But I did have some ideas I wanted to just put out there. FB sounds good.

Moving on, how do you recommend getting gold on the GT League Gr.2 race @ RBR wet? I’m using a brake balance that’s all the way to the front with TCS set to 1. I think my best position has been 4th. I feel it’s a bit hard to go quickly through the turns without spinning out, and I use throttle control a lot, too. Maybe I should crank TCS up to 2?

Maybe they will debut in GT7 come the time.
I could see PD put the 2020 cars in GTS and then place them in GT(X). I think one team have already posted a concept livery in the Supra GT500. Only a matter of time before more teams start posted their liveries.

I could see PD put the 2020 cars in GTS and then place them in GT(X). I think one team have already posted a concept livery in the Supra GT500. Only a matter of time before more teams start posted their liveries.
But there's only a few months left before this decade ends and a new one starts. So there's a bigger chance they may arrive in the updates for next year.

But there's only a few months left before this decade ends and a new one starts. So there's a bigger chance they may arrive in the updates for next year.
For sure. I wouldn't expect the 2020 cars this year. Probably closer to March or April, IF PD modelled them(at all), for GTS.

When GT Sport came out, I decided to simply ignore it: the online focus was (is) so far away from what I look for in games that I’ve decided that the game wasn’t for me. But even not being invested on it, I had to aknowledge that Sport showed to me Poliphony willing to change, learn and evolve. Maybe they weren’t heading to a direction that I wanted, but hey, at least they unterstood the 🤬 they released on the PS3 days.

Really, if you read some postings in this very community by some huge PD apologists, they would burn GT Sport with fire: released pretty much without that pointless single player campaign, less than 10% of the total of cars found in the previsou entry. Seriously, I remember people saying here that they didn’t want a livery editor, that GT sounds were fine and standards should definitely be rendered in their pixelated hideousness on a OLED 4K screen. Being “brave” enouogh to drop all of that in favor of something new was always a plus, IMO.

But recently I did start playing it and I love it. I love it precisely because it is a Gran Turismo game – no other racing game in the world will tell you about Apollo 8, Bob Dylan or the UN – but it is a different one, one that seeks to be modern, to look forward, to improve on sounds, quality and gameplay. As flawed as it is, Sport mode is great and I’m shocked and thankful for the perception that racing online can be great fun and, more importantly, that GT still is my favorite gaming series.

In light of all this, I find a bit concerning this notion that Gran Turismo 7 should go back for the sake of nostalgia. I really am confused by this need of, in the year of our lord 2019, needing yet another Gran Turismo game with Sunday Cup, FF Challenge, Clubman Cup and etc, with a wonky field and snail AI and whatnot, some random and pointless enduro in Trial Mountain, and all those old fictional tracks that are extremely overated. If you just want an old flavoured Gran Turismo game, what is stopping you from playing all the main entries released throughout two decades?

If Poliphony drag the series once again in this black hole of pointlessness that the GT tropes became, they’ll just appeal to an ever decreasing demographic that is stuck in the 90s. People’s perception of cars, automotive culture and motorsports are very different and a game that simply refuses to notice this will fail. I think there are plenty of things you could learn and develop from, say, Gran Turismo 2 into a Gran Turismo 7 game, but the single player experience definitely isn’t one of them.

I don’t know Kazunori, but the impression I always had of him is extremely different from any game producer. He seems the kind of guy that doesn’t play games – not only racing ones, but none at all – which is something both positive and negative. Not being a gamer blocks him from following negative trends and gives more space for being creative, for implementing concepts that other racing games simply can’t. But not being invested in games – racing ones or otherwise – makes GT feel sometimes detached, aloof, bland and uninspired: if for one lets you envision a blend between real and virtual motorsport, on the other hand sometimes makes GT games feel a lot like some digital car showroom were you just admire them and eventually gets to see what they look like on a track.

In the end, after GT Sport, I’m still hopeful that they stick with their guns and create something bold and new again. Single player modes are extremely relevant nowadays and if there is one studio on Earth that is capable of something trully unique in the racing genre, this is Poliphony Digital. I’d love to see them bringing a extremely ambitious campaing mode which blends with the multiplayer aspect, investing in the journey of a racing driver. Something that builds a story, that makes your results really matter, that puts some life into that lifeless avatar and makes every choice you make in the game matter: do I go race hot hatches? Karts? Sign with Porsche or Aston? Like why the game that is built upon love and passion for cars and racing simply fails in giving you a sense of proud, of be a real racing driver legend? The consequence of your actions on track, of having a car? And etc.

This is something untapped on racing sims: a trully simulation of what is being a racing driver – Project CARS came close to realise this, but it was unpolished to say it lightly and they 🤬 this foundation beyond all reasoning on pCARS 2 for some reason – and no other developer in the world can really realise this in a inovative and sensible way.

Moving on, how do you recommend getting gold on the GT League Gr.2 race @ RBR wet? I’m using a brake balance that’s all the way to the front with TCS set to 1. I think my best position has been 4th. I feel it’s a bit hard to go quickly through the turns without spinning out, and I use throttle control a lot, too. Maybe I should crank TCS up to 2?
For the race I use TC1 and countersteering assistance set to Strong, but with TC2 it is ok.
I did use @praiano63 tune here Honda NSX Gr2 - All around tune - Racing Hard Tires all I did is change the final gear to suit track, and won easy.

Back