Gran Turismo Sport: General Discussion

• Thread starter Formidable
  • 47,123 comments
How so?

I mean, there have been quite a few car manufacturers who make crappy cars. If Sony can make a good one, it's another story.

Producing an EV is not as complex / expensive (I guess) as producing a combustion engine based car, imo, so I could see Sony stem into the EV market.

Money buys expertise. There's been a few non automotive companies who have developed "once off" show cars to sell their technologies.

Sony could have well gone to any number of Japanese car companies to make a show car.

Hell it wouldnt surprise me if the car doesnt go except for a stack of 12v lead acid batteries in it to move it around a convention centre.

As long as it gets "buzz" and it displays their Sony designed interior then that's enough.

Samsung does this too.
It just irks me to see tech companies making cars. That's not why they're in business. Cars are not pieces of technology in the same way that a smartphone is, it's a different prospect altogether. Just because Tesla became outrageously popular doesn't mean that every other company will enjoy the same level of success. With soo many trying their hand, the market will become more and more crowded.

It just irks me to see tech companies making cars. That's not why they're in business. Cars are not pieces of technology in the same way that a smartphone is, it's a different prospect altogether. Just because Tesla became outrageously popular doesn't mean that every other company will enjoy the same level of success. With soo many trying their hand, the market will become more and more crowded.

This is a tad "stay in your lane" thing. I do get it, I feel like many many companies would do well to spend all their energies on their core products.

I dont think this is a "car" at all... more like a rolling showcase for what they can do.

I also dont think Sony will ever make a car... and why would you? The return rate on building cars is less than what they traditionally do.

HOWEVER Sony does derive some benefit from car related technologies. If they feel like they can do some self driving or whatever ICE stuff in cars then that's fine.

Like unless they were partnering with someone else (like Toyota) then building the shell of a car and loading it with Sony electronics will generate buzz.

Why would Sony make a car? They don't have the right expertise to build one!
Magna, who actually built it, does.

Magna supplies components across the automotive industry (notably, given the Sony car, Tesla) and currently builds the Jaguar I-PACE, Toyota Supra (and BMW Z4) and BMW 5 Series, via Magna Steyr in Austria. It previously built the Aston Martin Rapide, MINI Countryman, Jeep Grand Cherokee, Mercedes E-Class, Peugeot RCZ, Mercedes SLS, BMW X3. And it's always built the G-Class.

Sony simply fills it with sensor and entertainment tech. Automotive grade too, unlike some other Level 2+ EV manufacturers...

Magna, who actually built it, does.

Magna supplies components across the automotive industry (notably, given the Sony car, Tesla) and currently builds the Jaguar I-PACE, Toyota Supra (and BMW Z4) and BMW 5 Series, via Magna Steyr in Austria. It previously built the Aston Martin Rapide, MINI Countryman, Jeep Grand Cherokee, Mercedes E-Class, Peugeot RCZ, Mercedes SLS, BMW X3. And it's always built the G-Class.

Sony simply fills it with sensor and entertainment tech. Automotive grade too, unlike some other Level 2+ EV manufacturers...
OK that makes sense. I couldn't imagine Sony doing it on their own.

The automotive business could well become Sony’s biggest, most important, business.

Automation, self-driving, cameras, sensors, AI, in-car entertainment. All will be more important to the future of the car than the combustion engine and building chassis. I read someone yesterday joking about the full length screen’s in the car and safety implications. But these will be self-driving cars (in most applications). You’ll be entertained with Sony technology and kept in safety on the road with their technology.

Even if Sony don’t build the car themselves their technology will be used throughout the industry.

Last edited:
I had this idea that was so out there, even I'd call it absurd. It could be something for a future Gran Turismo title, but I could see it being a part of any racing game that uses licensed cars. It'd basically be a "Gr.F" for various Formula 1 cars, ranging from the late-80s to the near-present. I know it's absurd with all the changes in technology, but I'd also say that's what BoP is for. (Personally, I'd just begin with making the power and weight roughly the same for every vehicle, and then make slight adjustments, especially for cars that have ERS, DRS, and so on.)

But the biggest reason I think it could be neat, is because of the sheer variety of automakers that could be represented in this group - and especially if one counts engine suppliers, just like how the McLaren F1 GTR was listed as a BMW in Gran Turismo 4. Heck, even Indycar/CART could be a part of this madness. So between the timeframe I gave for F1 cars, and the idea of including Indycar/CART in this "Gr.F," this would include the following automakers:

Alfa Romeo
Brabham*
BMW
Caterham
Chevrolet (Indycar)
Dallara*
Ferrari
Fittipaldi Automotive**
Ford
Honda
Jaguar
Lamborghini
Lotus
Mercedes-Benz
McLaren
Red Bull (I think it ought to be its own brand in Gran Turismo, considering the Red Bull cars.)
Renault
Spyker
Subaru
Toyota
Venturi

* It'd be especially nice if we saw the road cars from these companies, like the newer Dallara Stradale and Brabham BT62.

** Might be stretching the timeframe a bit far, but even if it were added as a Gr.X car, it'd be nice to give the EF7 a historic companion.

There could even be a historic formula class, meant for racers of the 50s and 60s, and would allow representation of the following automakers:

Alfa Romeo
Aston Martin
Bugatti
De Tomaso
Ferrari
Gordini
Honda
McLaren
Mercedes-Benz
Lancia
Lotus
Porsche

Granted, I think this would all be better for one of the F1-licensed games than GT, but I think it's still fun to think about how far you can push the inclusivity of a group. For GT, I'd be perfectly content with a series of Gr.X cars meant for one-makes, but also typically allowing two identical vehicles (say, from the same season of the same racing series, like the Dallara SF19) to often be permitted alongside each other, rather than one at a time. I can't imagine licensing being too easy for F1/GP2/F3/etc. cars, either, but then again, I wonder what's left to the FIA's discretion, rather than Formula One as its own entity. Could be that the FIA would be largely on-board with the licensing of F1 cars, but it's really up to the discretion of Formula One's people, y'know?

I'd really like the F2007, F10, 98T and W08 to show up in the next game, maybe even one of the F1 cars that were used as a basis for the Gran Turismo 3 cars, like the MP4. There could be Fraga's F3 car sponsored by GT, as well as the other Senna cars, and ideally, the Mercedes VGT LH Edition will make the jump.

Right next to the lockers, this mysterious symbol was on one of the doors. I've never seen this before, maybe a new track or manufacturer?

womens-toilet-symbol-sign-32_580x.gif

:P
It’s too confusing...

To be honest it is a bit of cheating if the background is a real picture.
Not necessarily cause to be able to add a GT car model inside a real photo and blend in so perfectly it's a huge achievement in my eyes! Reflections, lighting etc... I can't think of another car game that could do that :)

Not necessarily cause to be able to add a GT car model inside a real photo and blend in so perfectly it's a huge achievement in my eyes! Reflections, lighting etc... I can't think of another car game that could do that :)
Of course it is, but people tend to also focus on the background a lot when assessing realism. So with a real photo background, as long as the car doesn't completely look out of place (which, to be honest, is quite hard to do), it quickly looks very realistic.

Since the PS4 General Discussion is dead and we just got an update for GTS I'll post it here:

What the 🤬 even is this storage system by Sony? It asked me to free up 48GB of space for a 156.8MB update file today. Are you kidding me?!

I understand that the system copies the update file and needs space for "double" the size but why does it need so much space for such a small update file, relatively speaking?

giphy.gif

This entire time I thought it only copied the backup, why does it copy the game?
It prevents file fragmentation.

There are occasions where it could only need to copy a 4GB block, but it would depend on what's being changed.

In essence what happens is:
* Download file
* Copy game, applying patch
* Delete old game
* ?
* Profit

I hope in the next GT game on PS5 they can have full screen replays.

I could enjoy GT5P right now with its beautiful replays and good image quality. GT5 is a bit blurry.

GT Sport replay is 16.9 cropped to look like 21.9 and I'm sorry but it looks awful. I do screenshots in 21.9 on PC and would understand more if this was a 21.9 render but it's an awful crop to save on frame rate and PD's legendary replay and camera work gets chopped up, almost half the track and scenery is gone and I just can't stand the logos and glowing "replay" in the black bars.

I used to love sitting back and taking in the replay in GT5P with the different camera views you get for each of the 4 laps. There's nice tracks and cars in Sport but can't really be enjoyed properly.

When I do a fast lap or race in GT Sport I just don't bother watching it and it's a huge let down with how they've got the sounds and doppler much improved, fantastic sounds. I'd love an option to have full screen and less frame rate.

I will probably bounce off this game like I did at launch. I was well into GT5 GT5p and all the others before.

Last edited:
How cool and interesting would it be to have The Bend circuit in Gran Turismo.

The Asian Le Mans Series is competing on the full 7.7km circuit this weekend. It really is like a rollercoaster. Would of course be great to have another Aussie track too.

In first practice LMP2’s are doing mid 2.30’s, GT3’s around 3.00 mark.

Qualifying is tomorrow and the race on Sunday.

Is this the right place for improvement talk?
If so then I feel the following would be nice & give more competitive racing.

Things that would be nice in GT but I guess would be very hard.

If GT could keep up-to-date on the car details etc.
Most racing cars from F1 to DTM etc change in looks and specifications through the year maybe small changes for improvement but it happens. It would be nice if PD could keep up even if it's months behind.

Also I hope PD start adding all cars from all Racing manufacturers.
Like rolls Royce, all the missing Mercedes cars both old & new.
It would be nice to add mix GT racing with a winner for each category.
longer FIA & daily & higher fuel & tyre wear to give us more of thoughtful racing.
Minimum of 10 laps on short race tracks, I have seen the same people in the same short race three or four times in a row.

All penalties from contact & over 1.5 sec, we should have to pass through the pit lane or have to do a stop & go in the pit lane. Remove the penalties zones. Warnings for your 1st corner cut, penalties after that.
Every race should have either all three tyre type & we have to use two of the three tyres.

Remove the radar & give a better rear view mirror in all cars.
Improve the cockpit view with FOV etc.
Have all wheel profile added, not just the basic.
Improve the MFD as it is or make it possible to change brake bias & engine power by buttons we present (pad user can add the extra button device for this)

Add tyre psi & information when the tyres are hot , this is easy change the colour system used & still keep the tyre icon used.
Make cold tyres blue. Tyres within correct operating temp Green. Over heated tyres red. Tyre wear can be yellow. All colours should be bright and easy to see.
Punches for tyres with high tyre wear & if you are to hard on your .
Pit lane stop time needs to improve more closer to real pit lane times.
Reduce the slip steam effects to under 1sec and have different levels depending how close you are 1sec - 1.5sec should be very weak & gives you maybe tenth over the person next to you on the same straight.

And one that many won't like higher DR reducution if you leave a race once it starts.

You may say go buy iracing etc or I want too much real racing, but you forget F1 by CM is where better than GT but has all that I am talking about in one way or another.

Sure is. Can see it just fine when I put the default livery on my NSX.
Thanks.
If it means the Esso brand trademark now can be used in Gran Turismo globally, we'll see race cars with TRUE Esso logos in Gran Turismo for the first time in ages...?

Back