Gran Turismo Sport: General Discussion

• Thread starter Formidable
  • 47,123 comments
As we always suspected, in any given race you may be racing a 10 year old. :D

imagen-del-cuarto-evento-del-c-1.jpg

Last edited:
Hello, can anyone tell me what the number in the red square is on the dash board?........it's on the right of the number that shows what gear you're in.

Ok, that's what I thought but seeing 1st sometimes threw me off because I haven't seen or heard of anyone using 1st......ok, thank you.

Ok, that's what I thought but seeing 1st sometimes threw me off because I haven't seen or heard of anyone using 1st......ok, thank you.

Yes, there are certain hairpin turns on certain tracks where the recommended gearing is 1st in order to "properly" execute the turn(according to GTS programming). Of course what is actually needed is based on the car's & the racer's own driving characteristics.

Why is the Renault R8 Gordini in Group X? What makes it so different from other N100 cars? The Porsche 356 for example is also rear-engined and has near identical power and weight. A quick lap around Tsukuba further highlighted a similar level of performance. However, while the Porsche with its tail-happy nature is constantly trying to kill you, the Renault is the complete opposite: Very controlled and easy to drive in any situation. When I used the interior view I also picked up on the distinct noise of a racing gearbox. Is that an indication for why the car isn't classified as a road car?

E0lz8E0WYAEWEoo

E0lxlESXMAAt-jF

Last edited:
The Gordini is supposed to be a 'race car' therefore Gr.X - in the same vein the Ferrari 250GTO is also a 'race car'.

But the reality is that the 250GTO, even though its as high as $75 mil. was not a super successful race car.

Gran-Turismo-Sport-July-update-Ferrari-250-GTO-CN.3729GT-62-Gr.X-4.jpg

Its more famous for being... the car of billionaire collectors.

Also... RHD? Amazing. I dont own this car so I wouldnt know.

Why is the Renault R8 Gordini in Group X? What makes it so different from other N100 cars? The Porsche 356 for example is also rear-engined and has near identical power and weight. A quick lap around Tsukuba further highlighted a similar level of performance. However, while the Porsche with its tail-happy nature is constantly trying to kill you, the Renault is the complete opposite: Very controlled and easy to drive in any situation. When I used the interior view I also picked up on the distinct noise of a racing gearbox. Is that an indication for why the car isn't classified as a road car?

E0lz8E0WYAEWEoo

E0lxlESXMAAt-jF
One possibility is the Gordini is a One Make race spec car. Yes, it has a roll cage. The 356 has a roll bar, but it too was used in racing. However, the 356 is the equivalent of a 911 GT3: race type car for the road. Not a full on race spec cup car.

I posted in another thread about this topic.

Last edited:
The Gordini is supposed to be a 'race car' therefore Gr.X - in the same vein the Ferrari 250GTO is also a 'race car'.

But the reality is that the 250GTO, even though its as high as $75 mil. was not a super successful race car.

Gran-Turismo-Sport-July-update-Ferrari-250-GTO-CN.3729GT-62-Gr.X-4.jpg

Its more famous for being... the car of billionaire collectors.

Also... RHD? Amazing. I dont own this car so I wouldnt know.
I disagree. It debuted in Sebring 12 hours in 1962 and won the GT class in first race, then won all the other races and the world championship with full points. It also won the world championship in 1963 and in 1964.
There's not many race cars that have achieved that. In my book that's great success.

Edit: I got this list from Car & Throttle. This is the races the car has won. No podium finishes in the list, only wins.

1) 8th May 1962 - Silverstone / Scalextric Trophy
2) 25th May 1962 - Brands Hatch
3) 26th May 1962 - Brands Hatch / Peco Trophy
4) 11th June 1962 - Mallory Park
5) 15th July 1962 - Clermont-Ferrand / Trophée d’Auvergne
6) 15th July 1962 - Darm GT Solitude
7) 5th August 1962 - Nürburgring
8) 6th August 1962 - Brands Hatch / Peco Trophy
9) 18th August 1962 - Goodwood / RAC Tourist Trophy
10) 15th-23rd September 1962 - Tour de France Automobile
11) 29th September 1962 - Snetterton 3 hours
12) 7th October 1962 - Montlhéry / Coupe du Salon
13) 7th October 1962 - Preis von Tirol
14) 14th October 1962 - Monza / Autumn Cup
15) 21st October 1962 - Montlhéry / Paris 1000km
16) 3rd November 1962 - Kyalami 9 hours
17) 2nd December 1962 - Luanda / Angola Grand Prix
18) 3rd December 1962 - Nassau Tourist Trophy
19) 17th February 1963 - Daytona 3 hours
20) 7th April 1963 - Dakar 6 hours
21) 4th May 1963 - Japanese Grand Prix
22) 12th May 1963 - Spa 500km
23) 26th May 1963 - USRRC-GT Pensacola
24) 3rd June 1963 - Goodwood / Whitsun Trophy
25) 23rd June 1963 - DARM GT Hockenheim
26) 6th July 1963 - Silverstone / Martini Trophy
27) 24th August 1963 - Goodwood / RAC Tourist Trophy
28) 25th August 1963 - MWCSCC Lynndale Farms
29) 14th-22nd September 1963 - Tour de France Automobile
30) 2nd November 1963 - Kyalami 9 hours
31) 24th November 1963 - Coppa F.I.S.A.
32) 16th February 1964 - Daytona 2000km
33) 30th March 1964 - Goodwood / Sussex Trophy
34) 2nd May 1964 - Silverstone / BRDC Trophy
35) 17th May 1964 - Spa 500km
36) 31st May 1964 - Preliminary Bridgehampton
37) 14th June 1964 - Internationales Mainz-Finthen
38) 26th June 1964 - Circuito de Cascais
39) 28th June 1964 - DARM GT Avus
40) 5th July 1964 - Coupes Benelux
41) 26th July 1964 - Portugal Grand Prix
42) 2nd August 1964 - SCCA Divisional Thompson
43) 2nd August 1964 - Västkustloppet
44) 16th August 1964 - SCCA Regional Thompson
45) 23rd August 1964 - National Zeltweg
46) 12th-20th September 1964 - Tour de France Automobile
47) 8th December 1964 - Coppa F.I.S.A.
48) 25th April 1965 - Coupes de Vitesse
49) 9th May 1965 - DARM GT Nürburgring
50) 27th June 1965 - DARM GT Avus
51) 29th June 1965 - Hill Climb Coppa della Sila
52) 11th July 1965 - DARM GT Mainz-Finthen
53) 24th July 1965 - Trier
54) 19th September 1965 - Guanabara Grand Prix
55) 10th October 1965 - Coppa AMAG Monza

Last edited:
So the reason is that it's supposed to be a race car. However, I would argue that its performance would easily allow an N100 classification. When running a custom race against N100 opponents you will notice that there's a few opponents that are a lot faster than the rest of the field and pull out quite a lead. The 1972 Alpine A110 is the worst offender here and will - over the course of a one hour race - often lap almost the entire rest of the field, if not all of it. The Renault would fall in line with the few cars that are decently faster than the mid-pack, like the 2015 MX-5, the Toyota S-FR and the Porsche 356. It would most likely not stand out at all and therefore earns its place in N100. Plus, there's a few other cars already that should probably not bear an N-class tag, like the Mazda Roadster TC and Toyota S-FR Racing Concept (could you really put a numberplate on those?) or the Mazda RX500, which only exists as a concept car and never saw the release of a road-going version. So there are inconsistencies already.

Which other cars could be pulled out of Group X? I think this is an interesting thing to think about. The first time this crossed my mind was when I realized that the vintage Le Mans racers had been banished to carve out a miserable existence in this class. Namely these are:

- Aston Martin DB3S: Failed in 1954 but came 2nd in 1955 and 1958
- Ferrari 250 GTO: Failed in 1961. However the ingame car is from 1962.
- Ferrari 330 P4: Came 2nd and 3rd in 1967.
- Ford Mark IV: Won in 1967
- Jaguar D-type: Won in 1955, 1956 and 1957
- Jaguar XJ13: Was meant to compete in the mid to late 1960s but ended up never taking part. However is has been touted as part of a legendary trio with the Ferrari 330 and the Ford Mark IV in GT5.
- Shelby Cobra Daytona Coupe: Came 4th in 1964

All of the information was compiled through a quick search and stems largely from Wikipedia, so don't quote me on this. However, I think that most of these cars can be considered contemporary equivalents of modern day LMPs and should therefore be in Group 1. Sure, they would be nowhere near competetive but having them in the same class would highlight the evolution of Le Mans racers over the decades.

Moving on to EVs, the BMW i3 stands its ground against the slightly lighter Mini Cooper S despite being held back by its short gearing. Also the Tesla Model S comes very close to the Lexus LC500 even though it is disadvantaged in both power and weight. This is probably due to the immediate power delivery of electric motors which results in better acceleration. Would this make them overpowered if they were in N-class? Hell no. Especially not the BMW which due to its gearbox that tops out at 155 km/h - and is unadjustable - would be eaten alive by the Mini pretty much everywhere else.

E0oPiCPWEAQ1ITl

E0oPiVWXoAYmPu2

E0oTFqyWUAEf6Vf

All laps were driven on Sports Hard tyres and default settings. Also the times are not optimized, I just drove until I got round at a decent pace without any hickups.

Then there's the Safety Cars. With the exception of the Nissan GT-R Safety Car (which is 30 kg lighter than the standard version), these actually have the same specs across the board, so the emergency lights on top seem not to be factored in for weight. Apart from slightly different suspension settings I couldn't spot any further differences between these and their N-class twins. Having them in N-class shouldn't produce any issues, though I admit it would be weird to see one of these actually taking part in a race. The Mercedes makes an appearance in the FIA race intro but it would be fun if PD found a way to actually have them on the track at the beginning of a race.

E0obRvMX0AEWh5_

I would like to dive into this further (especially the F1 cars, which probably deserve a category of their own) but I don't really have the time for that right now. So I'll leave it at that for now. Oh and yes, I forgot about the Porsche Taycan :lol:

Last edited:
So the reason is that it's supposed to be a race car. However, I would argue that its performance would easily allow an N100 classification. When running a custom race against N100 opponents you will notice that there's a few opponents that are a lot faster than the rest of the field and pull out quite a lead. The 1972 Alpine A110 is the worst offender here and will - over the course of a one hour race - often lap almost the entire rest of the field, if not all of it. The Renault would fall in line with the few cars that are decently faster than the mid-pack, like the 2015 MX-5, the Toyota S-FR and the Porsche 356. It would most likely not stand out at all and therefore earns its place in N100. Plus, there's a few other cars already that should probably not bear an N-class tag, like the Mazda Roadster TC and Toyota S-FR Racing Concept (could you really put a numberplate on those?) or the Mazda RX500, which only exists as a concept car and never saw the release of a road-going version. So there are inconsistencies already.

Which other cars could be pulled out of Group X? I think this is an interesting thing to think about. The first time this crossed my mind was when I realized that the vintage Le Mans racers had been banished to carve out a miserable existence in this class. Namely these are:

- Aston Martin DB3S: Failed in 1954 but came 2nd in 1955 and 1958
- Ferrari 250 GTO: Failed in 1961. However the ingame car is from 1962.
- Ferrari 330 P4: Came 2nd and 3rd in 1967.
- Ford Mark IV: Won in 1967
- Jaguar D-type: Won in 1955, 1956 and 1957
- Jaguar XJ13: Was meant to compete in the mid to late 1960s but ended up never taking part. However is has been touted as part of a legendary trio with the Ferrari 330 and the Ford Mark IV in GT5.
- Shelby Cobra Daytona Coupe: Came 4th in 1964

All of the information was compiled through a quick search and stems largely from Wikipedia, so don't quote me on this. However, I think that most of these cars can be considered contemporary equivalents of modern day LMPs and should therefore be in Group 1. Sure, they would be nowhere near competetive but having them in the same class would highlight the evolution of Le Mans racers over the decades.

Moving on to EVs, the BMW i3 stands its ground against the slightly lighter Mini Cooper S despite being held back by its short gearing. Also the Tesla Model S comes very close to the Lexus LC500 even though it is disadvantaged in both power and weight. This is probably due to the immediate power delivery of electric motors which results in better acceleration. Would this make them overpowered if they were in N-class? Hell no. Especially not the BMW which due to its gearbox that tops out at 155 km/h - and is unadjustable - would be eaten alive by the Mini pretty much everywhere else.

E0oPiCPWEAQ1ITl

E0oPiVWXoAYmPu2

E0oTFqyWUAEf6Vf

All laps were driven on Sports Hard tyres and default settings. Also the times are not optimized, I just drove until I got round at a decent pace without any hickups.

Then there's the Safety Cars. With the exception of the Nissan GT-R Safety Car (which is 30 kg lighter than the standard version), these actually have the same specs across the board, so the emergency lights on top seem not to be factored in for weight. Apart from slightly different suspension settings I couldn't spot any further differences between these and their N-class twins. Having them in N-class shouldn't produce any issues, though I admit it would be weird to see one of these actually taking part in a race. The Mercedes makes an appearance in the FIA race intro but it would be fun if PD found a way to actually have them on the track at the beginning of a race.

E0obRvMX0AEWh5_

I would like to dive into this further (especially the F1 cars, which probably deserve a category of their own) but I don't really have the time for that right now. So I'll leave it at that for now. Oh and yes, I forgot about the Porsche Taycan :lol:
When it comes to the 250 GTO the 1961 was the SWB, and Ferrari was focused on the prototypes. Then FIA changed the rules for 1962 and the focus of the championship was moved to GT cars. So suddenly Ferrari had a stake in the GT racing, that mostly private teams had run before.
That's why they developed the 1962 GTO that is a totally different beast than the SWB and was one of the world's most successful race cars.

Last edited:
My last hoorah with GT Sport(again :lol:). Now that GT7 is pushed back, I'm playing other games more. These are my favorite/most fun top 10(could be more than 10 very easily) and ultimate top 3 in this game. No explanations. No speeches. All feels. Thank you for adding these cars, PD.

E06NM_hVgAAm0RQ

8152092571854701068_0.jpg

Random question: For those of you with wheels and pedals....

Do you wear gloves? Do you wear racing shoes? Do you go barefoot?

I ask because I drive on the Logitech wheel & pedals (no complaints) and I generally go with just socks - I feel the brakes better. I have no issues with sweaty hands (tho my older PS4 can heat my entire room And that’s a different issue I’m addressing)

Now I just spent an hour and a half at LeMans practicing GR3 and I’m really feeling it in my whole leg and just looking for other options and seeing what everyone else does.

I ask because I drive on the Logitech wheel & pedals (no complaints) and I generally go with just socks - I feel the brakes better. I have no issues with sweaty hands (tho my older PS4 can heat my entire room And that’s a different issue I’m addressing)

Now I just spent an hour and a half at LeMans practicing GR3 and I’m really feeling it in my whole leg and just looking for other options and seeing what everyone else does.
Not to be silly. How often do you take breaks? An hour is a long stunt to be sitting still. Real race drivers have g-forces, real environments to look at, keeping their necks mobile and taking their hands off the wheel, etc. They train and practice techniques for long stints.

Many of us sit in a chair and probably don't do as much in an hour sitting. I know many of us can be in a rhythm and want to continue driving. Maybe talking a break more often, can help comfort levels.

Not to be silly. How often do you take breaks? An hour is a long stunt to be sitting still. Real race drivers have g-forces, real environments to look at, keeping their necks mobile and taking their hands off the wheel, etc. They train and practice techniques for long stints.

Many of us sit in a chair and probably don't do as much in an hour sitting. I know many of us can be in a rhythm and want to continue driving. Maybe talking a break more often, can help comfort levels.

An hour/hour and a half is the longest stint i will go w/out a break, I do tend to switch it up. I notice my performance degrades significantly after about 45 minutes. Usually I just do a custom variant of the FIA race settings. Like for this time, Sarth being 7 laps for Manu. Other times I'll just do an endurance of a track/circuit of 45-hour to get to know it. (And I am sloooooooow at Sarth.)

Oddly i bought the racing/gaming chair before I bought this game LOL

Back in the old days I would "offroad" barefoot for better brake control. Thick shoes don't cut it.

I started out wearing slippers with thin, soft soles but it wasn't long after until I wore only socks. I've more a feel for pedal/braking pressure with socks. Slippers kinda muffled it.

I heard swimming shoes work well as a budget replacement over racing shoes although I've never tried them. I don't wear gloves, I rarely an issue with grip or sweat. I see an argument to wear them over long sessions to prevent sweat otherwise there's no need.

Back