Gran Turismo Sport Has Sold an Estimated 8 Million Copies

With future automobile technology (hybrid, electric, etc...), racing games are good refuges to save the "old 20 century" cars.

GT Sport is perfect to the actual "online competiton era" games.
But how GT Sport will affect the online side development of GT7, to keep this new community?

Remember the glorious days when some said it is a flop days after the Copper Box event? :sly:
Yeah, I remember some said it wouldn't even reach 2 million but if you think about it, it's no surprise why people predicted it would flop so badly. There's barely any content when it was announced and the main focus of the game is E-sport and the state of the game was atrocious during that event.

Yeah, I remember some said it wouldn't even reach 2 million but if you think about it, it's no surprise why people predicted it would flop so badly. There's barely any content when it was announced and the main focus of the game is E-sport and the state of the game was atrocious during that even.
That's true, but personally I was pretty sure they would bring some updates, but I never thought they would do it montly, hats off to them, this could be the reason why the game turned out to be so successful! 👍

Meanwhile GT5 and 6 combined sold nearly 17 million copies.
If you add GT5 Prologue it's actually more than 20million during that PS3 era and that's not including GTPSP. PD messed up their dev cycle during that time, and now it's safe to say this is the only GT we're gonna get in this gen which is a shame really

Remember the glorious days when some said it is a flop days after the Copper Box event? :sly:

I had some clear reservations at the time of the event, but was happy to wait and see what happened. For me, the biggest disappointment at Copper Box was the 200 yard passenger drive in the Lambo. Dont think the driver got out of second gear... :P

But they made up for it with the free beer :lol: . And the chance to get a word and a photo with Kaz at the end (even if my rubbish selfie skills were embarassing).

One thing I do remember is how professional everything was at Copper Box. My one and only chance to experience this. Every time I see coverage of an FIA event like this weekend, I am taken back to the Copper Box.

The sales figures are surely higher than most would have predicted even at release. In my mind, it's reward for the continuous support post release. There are still lessons to be learned, without the addition of GT League I suspect these figures would have been substantially lower, but that's another thread all together. For now, I'll grab another Copper Box beer :cheers:

Yeah, I remember some said it wouldn't even reach 2 million but if you think about it, it's no surprise why people predicted it would flop so badly. There's barely any content when it was announced and the main focus of the game is E-sport and the state of the game was atrocious during that event.

Sport's original purpose was to just be a beta test platform for the FIA content, but then, in the time between Sport being announced and its release, it got repurposed into a more complete title.

The pending PS5 release also probably affected its development into a more complete title, too.

My question is why?

Is Sport's sales based on how content has been dribbled out better over its lifespan?
In my opinion gt6 sold "only" 5/6 milion copies because they released it when ps4 was already out and people were moving toward this console, basically gt6 was purchased only by the hardcore players of the game, now with GTS sales returned back to the normality of the franchise.

Last edited:
People criticising the empty release have a fair point - but I can't think of another game besides Warframe that's put out so much free content so regularly.

I bought GTS earlier this year because I wanted to meet more players who play driving games, as all my other/real life friends don't share my passion for motorsport. I wanted to get involved with a community and meet faster drivers to continue my improvement, and I think it's fair to say GTS absolutely delivered. Before GTS I was mainly playing DiRT 4 and WRC7.

First update after I got the game was Barcelona - since then I think every update has added greatly to the game.

Congratulations to PD - I hadn't touched a GT game since SCART cable days, and it delivered everything I wanted from it. It's made a fan out of me and I'll continue to support whatever PD puts out for the forseeable future.

Interesting to see that GTS has sold very well even it isn't a classic numberd title (so the perception of the majority of people is that of a spinoff), curious to see if they've gonna do even better when and if they deliver a classic GT title

In my opinion gt6 sold "only" 5/6 milion copies because they released it when ps4 was already out and people were moving toward this console, basically gt6 was purchased only by the hardcore players of the game, now with GTS sales returned back to the normality of the franchise.
Most sales happen during the first month of a release. Even if the PS4 launched, there were still over 80 million people who had a PS3 and not a PS4.

I don't think anybody suspected Polyphony to support the game so well for so long after launch. Remember, not only was the Copper Box showing a little rough around the edges, but GT6 had the whole "quantum leap" of DLC that arguably didn't pan out, a track creator that was supposed to have just barely missed the game's launch (yet finally showed up almost two years later), and the VGT project, which delivered far less than what was originally announced (and apparently will never be complete).

PD is, in many ways, a whole new company compared to then. IMO it's adopted the service-style approach very well. The high amount of GT6 redos from the car team is still a little disappointing, but that's only because I've actually played GT6. Which is seemingly rare in terms of franchise sales. :P

Even the king of sales, Call of Duty, stopped counting copies sold. I guess they’re still counting these for legacy reasons?

While PD is almost surely counting them, these aren't its figures: it's a third party. A third party with an interest in showing the gaming division in the best possible light, I should add.

Really, it needs to be stressed in-thread in case people don't actually read the whole article: this number is almost certainly inflated versus reality. The player count alone is around 8 million, and GT Sport would have to seriously buck the industry trend to hit a 1:1 sales/players ratio. That ain't happening.

Remembers the days when people thought GTS would only sell 3 million or so :lol:
PS5 is coming 2020. GTS will probably end with 9.5-10 million players and 8-9 million sales. Hopefully PD put out an official figure soon.

Blows my mind why SCE don't reveal figures more often. UC4 selling 16 million+ yet no separate piece on it by SCE :boggled:

Remembers the days when people thought GTS would only sell 3 million or so :lol:
PS5 is coming 2020. GTS will probably end with 9.5-10 million players and 8-9 million sales. Hopefully PD put out an official figure soon.
Huh? The vast majority of people voted for 5million+, with most of the votes at the end of the spectrum from 7-10 Million sales. You bring this up a lot, but I think you're not really remembering it correctly.

Either way, even if it's not entirely 8 million yet, I'm sure it's close, so good on them.

Back