Gran Turismo Sport Has Sold an Estimated 8 Million Copies

Back to 10 million please! With next GT probably having the traditional trait again (or rather, completed offline trait too).

I hope GT7 brings back the more casual gt fanbase that missed out on gt sport,if theres a racing sim that can rival sonys best selling exclusives is GT.

Nice to finally get some kind of actual estimate for sales. There is a big difference between sales, PSN accounts that have accessed the game, & actual regular players. It certainly helps that it's been on sale for £15.99 on the PS Store several times, I bought it for that, & am kind of happy with what I got for that price.

If the 8 mil figure is correct, it's sold more copies that I thought it would, & that's not a bad thing.

👍

I don’t think it’s unreasonable to expect 10 or even 5% of the player base to participate.

I'm a decent racer who plays GT Sport nearly daily, but can't participate in FIA races due to my work schedule (midweek races are entirely out because they are held while I'm still at the office). That said, kudosprime suggests I'm only in the top 6% with my current DR (and I only have two Sport mode wins) so I doubt I would be able to make a dent in those series even if I could participate. Making the hours more flexible is likely the only way they'll get more players to participate as the whole qualifying to race time commitment is quite a bit more substantial than the daily sport races.

me too, i sold my copy for 5 euros
i got it second hand £15 played it, was ok but i didn't like the pay to play part (PSN). went to my pc got project cars 2. and played it most nights. GT5 was the best of the gt games.

My question is why?

Is Sport's sales based on how content has been dribbled out better over its lifespan?
Yes. The handling model is already great and the cars are fun to drive. Only thing it lacked at launch was single player content and now GT Leauge has more content then GT5. And we not going to even talk about the other single player content just League alone has more events then GT5.

You’re correct actually. 1-5 and 6-10 are more evenly split leaning towards the first half. Either way we wouldn’t be splitting it 1-4 because he actually said 1-3, which still points at the actual majority all picking more than that so his point is still wrong as if the consensus was actually the lower end of the spectrum. If we look at them all individually, the actual consensus would have been 5 million anyways.

Still, I do agree, it’s all absolutely pointless to even bring up something like that in the first place.

PD still has only given player count till this day. We have no sales number from them, just like T10. They’re both doing the exact same thing.
Nope

Well if it has sold 8 million that is very good.

I bet the Free Dlc and GT League pushed the sales up.

If so, means the sales reputation hasn't been damaged from GT6 and hoping for the next 'more traditional title' can sell around or over 10 million.

I will fully admit when I'm wrong because I honestly didn't think GTS would make it this high and I posted that prediction too.

It was impossible to tell at that time if PD would stick to its word and deliver all the content it promised. Had it not been for that this game would have remained low in sales.

I'm really happy it bounced back.

I will fully admit when I'm wrong because I honestly didn't think GTS would make it this high and I posted that prediction too.

It was impossible to tell at that time if PD would stick to its word and deliver all the content it promised. Had it not been for that this game would have remained low in sales.

I'm really happy it bounced back.
People have thought this since GT5. Every game has been hailed as a failure early on while ignoring GT never has been a huge front loaded game. It sold a ton but never broke any records for selling x amount in the first day, week, or month.

Back to 10 million please! With next GT probably having the traditional trait again (or rather, completed offline trait too).

I really doubt any future GT title will ever break 10 million sales on one console. Maybe a cross-gen GT.

That said, I really do hope I am wrong. Because a life without GT is not the same. I will keep this hobby until I die, guaranteed.

I really doubt any future GT title will ever break 10 million sales on one console. Maybe a cross-gen GT.

That said, I really do hope I am wrong. Because a life without GT is not the same. I will keep this hobby until I die, guaranteed.
I guess even GT7 wouldn't achieve that kind of feat unless many people are into racing games.

I think if they skipped making GT6 on ps3 and instead made it on ps4, let's say in 2014-2015, but without standard cars and reasonably big car list % track list, campaign mode and maybe still with Sport Mode feature, it would make over 10 million sales I bet.

The issue with GTS is that it came maybe a bit late and lots of original GT fans got disappointed by the lack of campaign mode % low content, so they skipped it. But it's still amazing that it even managed to get 8 million sales, making it the 6th highest selling ps4 game!

Maybe a new GT title on PS5 could make it. But they would have to release the game at the beginning of PS5's launch, or at least a year after

But it's still amazing that it even managed to get 8 million sales, making it the 6th highest selling ps4 game!
Players not sales. The official metric both PD and PG use are players. 7 million respectively 12 Million. The 8 million copies sold is just an unofficial report iirc.

I'd say there is a big chance we see GT going over 10 million in the future, because the audience is still there as we can see with the rise of FH, although it's an open world racing game and not as realistic as GTS by design and the rise of GT after GT6 sells weren't stellar compared to other GT games.

It just needs an more traditional GT and maybe an PS Now release to reach those numbers again. if you ask me an cross gen release like some suggest would be an huge mistake, because i want an next gen GT thats not hold back by jaguar CPU.

Obviously selling over 10 million copies is harder than reaching 10 million players, so we have to wait and see. But until the developers release official sale numbers we have to go with players, i guess.

Last edited:
Players not sales. The official metric both PD and PG use are players. 7 million respectively 12 Million. The 8 million copies sold is just an unofficial report iirc.

1- GTS is way more than 7 million players https://abload.de/img/immagine0ckel.jpg
2 - FH4 12 million players are achieved thanks to the free downloads on pc and console with gamepass (driveclub has over 11 million players thanks to the free downloads with PS plus)
3 - The GTS 8 million copies sold are confirmed by Yoshida

1- GTS is way more than 7 million players https://abload.de/img/immagine0ckel.jpg
2 - FH4 12 million players are achieved thanks to the free downloads on pc and console with gamepass (driveclub has over 11 million players thanks to the free downloads with PS plus)
1. These are not official numbers.

2. I didn't know gamepass or ps+ are free.
2.1 PS+ is mandatory to play most games online and has significantly higher subs than gamepass.​

3. He just said thanks, but didn't confirm anything. Its your assumption.

Last edited:

2. I didn't know gamepass or ps+ are free.
2.1 PS+ is mandatory to play most games online and has significantly higher subs than gamepass.​

3. He just said thanks, but didn't confirm anything. Its your assumption.
so playing a game that is included in a subscription (for a fee) is the same as buying it? I hope you are joking:lol:
That's what yoshida said is equivalent to a confirmation for the simple fact that he specifies that they are copies sold or you want to tell me that he gave a random number?:odd:

That's what yoshida said is equivalent to a confirmation for the simple fact that he specifies that they are copies sold or you want to tell me that he gave a random number
yoshida didn't gave out any number.
so playing a game that is included in a subscription (for a fee) is the same as buying it? I hope you are joking
Where did i say this?

Spoiler alert: I didnt. Read my posts or don't quote me ever again.

GTS players are numbered in the hundreds of thousands range. The vast majority of people who buy any game stop playing it within a month.

Not only not official - it's easy to prove it's false using PD's own data!

At time of writing this post:
https://www.gran-turismo.com/us/gtsport/user/profile/9926000/overview - exists
https://www.gran-turismo.com/us/gtsport/user/profile/9927000/overview - doesn't exist

Profiles start at 1,000,000, so there's a maximum of 8,926,999 profiles.

That's the figure to use if you want to give the most positive light on the numbers, and the one that PD probably uses to trigger any announcement. Note that they haven't yet claimed 9 million players!

Then some of those are invalid profiles for whatever reason, perhaps 400k or so. Let's round it out to 8.5 million valid profiles. (Possibly PD uses this number, it's hard to tell since announcements are delayed from whatever triggers them).

Some players have multiple profiles, so the actual number of players (ever) is somewhat lower. There isn't any good way to estimate how much lower though, so we may as well stick to equating profiles with players.

What we do have a rough estimate for is the players/sales ratio being around 1.3. This is from when there were 4.2 million players vs 3.3 million sales, and on par with other AAA games (actually at the low end of the range).

Net result is a sales estimate of 6.5 million.

I wonder if GT Sport has the potential to have the same figures or more of the copies sold if they're without the free monthly updates that include several DLCs for the game.

Not only not official - it's easy to prove it's false using PD's own data!

At time of writing this post:
https://www.gran-turismo.com/us/gtsport/user/profile/9926000/overview - exists
https://www.gran-turismo.com/us/gtsport/user/profile/9927000/overview - doesn't exist

Profiles start at 1,000,000, so there's a maximum of 8,926,999 profiles.

That's the figure to use if you want to give the most positive light on the numbers, and the one that PD probably uses to trigger any announcement. Note that they haven't yet claimed 9 million players!

Then some of those are invalid profiles for whatever reason, perhaps 400k or so. Let's round it out to 8.5 million valid profiles. (Possibly PD uses this number, it's hard to tell since announcements are delayed from whatever triggers them).

Some players have multiple profiles, so the actual number of players (ever) is somewhat lower. There isn't any good way to estimate how much lower though, so we may as well stick to equating profiles with players.

What we do have a rough estimate for is the players/sales ratio being around 1.3. This is from when there were 4.2 million players vs 3.3 million sales, and on par with other AAA games (actually at the low end of the range).

Net result is a sales estimate of 6.5 million.

Thank you for your clarification.

8,926,999 profiles is still an impressive number for a game that is not given for free

PS the problem of multiple profiles or invalid profiles is common to all games

At it’s current rate GT Sport will hit around 10m profiles sometime next year. I also feel it will be a PS+ title in the next 12-18 months. The plan will be to up engagement and push the brand before GT7 launches. PS+ could bring in another 5m-10m players and we have to remember PS5 will be backwards compatible too.

Thank you for your clarification.

8,926,999 profiles is still an impressive number for a game that is not given for free

PS the problem of multiple profiles or invalid profiles is common to all games

I'd prefer to use the 8.5 million figure, but even so, yes, it's impressive.

The real problem is that we don't have any useful metric to compare with, say, vs FH4 or Driveclub etc. We know that 6.5 million sales would handily beat Driveclub, and probably beat FH4. However, FH4's gamepass players (and Driveclub's PS+ players to a lesser extent) have still paid to play; there is some revenue stream, so they can't be entirely ignored. In both cases these were used to draw people into the services, effectively they were loss leaders. I'd love to know 'total hours played' for each of these.

I wonder if GT Sport has the potential to have the same figures or more of the copies sold if they're without the free monthly updates that include several DLCs for the game.

IMO, absolutely not! The updates have almost doubled the amount of content! New players per week is declining a bit, but has been remarkably consistent, classic GT 'long tail'. Bet there's a boost when Spa finally arrives :lol:

Back