Gran Turismo Sport In VR. My experience.

• Thread starter FRR35H
  • 28 comments
Australia
Australia
frr35h101
I thought I would make a first hand review of my experience and preferred ways of racing in GT SPORT.
This is purely my personal experience, opinion and preferences and is no way intended to be a guide or recommendation on how to play GT Sport. To me, there is not one right way to play the game. When using a VR headset, remember that your body is being tricked to thinking that you are in a world that isn't real. Whilst you can see, hear and in a sense, feel the world you are in, it can also be quite disorientating to some and can also make some people motion sick. I have experienced this only once in RIGS PSVR where things move extremely fast and the body doesn't know how to handle it. If you love this thread and choose to purchase a VR based on this, I don't take any responsibility if you experience motion sickness whilst playing.

A little background on me. I've been a collector and player of Gran Turismo since the very first one. I own every iteration of the game to date and even play the originals still on my Vita. I have been involved over the years in the modding and hybriding scene, namely GT2 and I've also had my own personal car modded into GT2 thanks to Submaniac. I first got my G27 back when GT5 was first released and can honestly contest that it has helped me become a better racer not only in Gran Turismo, but in pretty much any sim racing title, console or PC. I have had the PSVR now for just over a year now. I got it mostly for GT Sport and Planet of The Apes VR, however, I've been pretty pleased with the ever growing PSVR titles released like Skyrim VR for example. I mainly race for fun offline, but I plan to explore online comps in the near future to hone my skills against actual real world players.

Before I start on my review I'll list my setup:
  • PS4 Destiny Edition. (White Original shape).
  • Logitech G27 Wheel (modded with progressive pedal mod) with Collective minds DriveHub wheel converter.
  • Next Level Racing GT Xtreme V2 Racing seat.
  • First generation PSVR Headset.
  • Sony MDR-ZX310 over-ear stereo headphones.
  • Sony Bravia KDL-42EX440 ( I think :P it's fairly old so I could be wrong on the model) LED TV.
  • A floor mounted metal fan for ventilation.
I also use a Vita for remote play when not in the rig but that really doesn't bare any relevance to this topic.
This is just my setup and it currently works for me, however, everyone has their own unique setups and again, there is no one right way to play this game so interested to see what everyone else does.

PART ONE: VR Tour

If you have a VR already, then you have no doubt trialed out the VR Tour in GT Sport already and know most of what I am about to say. For those who haven't trialed it out yet it is a very unique experience for a Gran Turismo title.
Firstly let's just get one thing straight: VR Tour is not GT Sport's entirety in VR. Much to the contrary, it is more of a Gran Turismo VR arcade mode. There are 3 modes currently available in VR Tour:
Drive is limited to head to head races only. Tracks are limited to certain times of day layouts in some tracks, and most but not all cars are compatible with VR Tour.
Time Trial VR is the same as any other time trial mode with, well VR as the obvious difference.
VR Showroom is a simple VR walk around of the selected car. It is not quite your Forza style Forzavista, but it does give you a sense that you are in the same room as the car. You can control the lights of the vehicle from parking lights to highbeams. That's about it. Please note to control in this mode, you will need a controller as a wheel won't let you navigate around fully.

VR Drive and Time Trial Modes

Although very lackluster in the sense there is only one opponent, VR Drive is extremely immersive and really gives you the feeling that you are on the track in the car. the field of view is fantastic and the sense that you are in the car as you look around is actually distracting at times. It's that good. When combined with the racing wheel and rig, you really do feel like you are there. It also gives you a much closer look at the track you are on, sometimes helping with lap times.
There are several drawbacks though. The races as mentioned are quite lackluster. Having only one opponent means a race is not as immersive as you'd would like. More to it, the opponents can be quite repetitive, for example, racing a GR Supra RZ in VR will almost always line you up with an M4. The AI also seem to be watered down quite a bit, so you can easily out run them even if you were to spin out and fall behind, catching them takes no time or effort at all. I don't believe I've lost any VR races to date. It's very noticeable in some instances too. For example, just last night I hopped in a stock Ferrari 458 and was pitted up against a La Ferrari, which despite slipping off track a couple of times, I easily caught back up and outran it.
I have also noticed that whilst most cars are pretty flawless in VR mode, some cars have graphical issues. Noticeably cars with smaller steering wheels, like the F1500T. When in full lock, the arms cross into each other which distracts you a bit from the experience.
All of this aside, it is still a very fun experience and gives you a fresh approach to the series. You can still easily lose yourself racing in VR mode to experience all the different cockpits and displays that the various cars have to offer and also stop to appreciate the level of detail applied to the tracks PD have implemented. Another thing to really take away is the sense of speed you get from some of these cars in VR mode. The F1 cars, X2014 and Tomahawk for example, really give you the sense that you are travelling at ridiculous speeds whether straight line or through the bends, with your body often forgetting you are only in a game. I am usually not very good with controlling F1 based cars when in controller mode, but with the VR and my G27, my skills have been significally raised to the point I can attack the apex on tracks at speeds I would never have been able to in the past using just a controller.

GT Sport in PSVR Cinematic Mode

Here is where things get really interesting and fun. When people thin of GT Sport and PSVR, the above modes normally spring to mind only, however, there is one other way to utilize the VR with GT Sport and that is Cinematic Mode. Basically, what this allows you to do is project the PS4 screen into the VR headset on non VR games and applications. This is also the mode that is used when connecting the PSVR to a non-PS4 device like an Xbox One or PC.
So why would you bother? Well there are a couple of reasons why you would want to use this mode when playing GT Sport. Firstly, when using Cinematic Mode you have the option to change the screen size between small, medium and large. These translate to 117 inches, 163 inches and 226 inches respectfully. As listed above my tv is only 42" so immediately I have stepped up my viewing size. Whats more is I have found that even with my non-pro PS4 and gen 1 PSVR the resolution is much better in Cinematic mode than on my TV as it is now moving on to 12 years old. The other advantage here is it doesn't require your TV to be on to work, so you can save electricity by not running the TV at the same time as the VR and also redirects all sound to your headphones so you are essentially playing quietly without everyone in the house hearing your game handy if you are racing at night whilst others are asleep. This also works in normal VR mode by the way.
After a bit of testing last night, I came to the conclusion that this is now my preferred way to race in GT Sport. I can still get a semi-VR experience as the screen is so huge in Cinematic mode that it almost feels that you are racing in VR mode. The graphics are much higher in cinematic mode than in normal VR mode also. Plus, the entire game is playable. I was racing last night in Cinematic mode for hours completing various championships and was amazed by the way my driving was better than when I normally use the TV.

Downsides to PSVR in general

With PSVR there are some obvious drawbacks. The first as I initially mentioned is motion sickness. I can't stress enough how important it is to take small steps when jumping into the VR world. Start with something small and easy, like a tech demo and work your way up to the more heavy movement and high-speed titles like Skyrim, GT Sport and especially RIGS (still haven't tried that since).
You will be oblivious to your surroundings in most cases so injuries can occur. I have played Skyrim and kicked my shins on my bed and even tripped over at times. as much as you can check your surroundings before putting the headset on, once you have been playing for a while you'll find that you have shifted places from when you started. This can often lead to you not being aware of whats around you anymore, and without the aid of sound, it can be a shock to the system when you run into something or start to tumble. I've also knocked over people before in games like Skyrim because people have gotten too close to me whilst I was in the zone. Thankfully, there is a way to check your surroundings in the PSVR sub menu when you press the PS button.
Graphics are another thing that seem to take a hit on the PSVR. It's not terrible, but it's a step back from non-VR modes. To be honest though, it's easily to forgive when you are rewarded with the experience it returns.
Lastly, the most annoying part of GT-Sports VR mode that I have recently discovered is the screen positioning. More so, the driver positioning. At first, this is not an issue, but after a couple of races, I have noticed that the screen is off-centered. Usually this is corrected by holding the Option button down for a few seconds but it doesn't fix the direction in which the driver is facing. I have yet to find an easy solution to remedy this aside from turning the headset off and on again. Hopefully this is addressed in a future GT update.

Tips on using PSVR in GT Sport

Over the last year or so, I have come up with what I think is the most comfortable way to play PSVR, not only for GT Sport but in general. Here are my tips for playing comfortably, especially if you plan to play for long periods at a time.
  1. Take regular breaks. This should come as no surprise, but the PSVR does take its toll on your eyes after playing for some time. I would strongly suggest that after every race, you take off your headset and let your eyes readjust. Avoid trying to play countless races consecutively without breaks, and try to pause the game in endurance races (whilst in Cinematic mode) like when you have pitted in, every 10-15 minutes or so. Have a drink of water to stay hydrated because believe it or not, the VR can make you sweat. Take this time to also stretch and grab some food.
  2. Play in a well ventilated area. As I listed above, I included a fan in my setup. That is deliberate as the room I play in doesn't have good airflow and any air conditioning, so to compensate, I use a small metal fan to blow air directly at me whilst in my racing rig. This keeps me cool whilst playing for long periods and ensures that I not sweating all over myself and becoming uncomfortable. It also has another effect, adds a 4D element to playing some games. Try racing in an open top vehicle in VR with the fan blowing on you. It gives the effect of the wind blowing in your face :).
  3. Keep your lenses clean regularly. When ever you use your VR make sure you wipe down your lenses before, during, and after game play. Dust, condensation from breathing and even sweat can build up on the lenses over time. Use a lens cleaning cloth like the one that came with the VR or a pair of glasses to thoroughly wipe the lenses clean of any of the above so that your vision is clear in game.
  4. Keep your cables clear if possible. One very annoying part of the VR is the cables. They more than often get in the way of your gaming. In some cases it's the cause of trips and falls, and in more serious cases, it can be the cause of damaged hardware eg. pulling the console off the shelf and destroying it on the floor :(. Fortunately there is ways around this given you have enough space. When in my GT Xtreme Racing Seat, I feed the cables throught the holes in the top of the seat so they are behind my head and out of the way. I then connect my headphones to the jack and I'm set. I still have full mobility of the VR headset and can even rest the headset on top of the seat when taking breaks.
  5. Store your VR carefully. When storing your VR headset, make sure you keep the lenses clear of anything that could potentially scratch them. I usually put the cloth I use to clean them with over them and then I carefully place the cables inside to stop the cloth from falling out and allowing anything to touch the lenses. There are multiple ways to store the headset, and I am exploring better ways myself as I don't believe mine is the most ideal, although it has worked for me so far. I plan to designate a box to house the headset and cables for added protection in the near future. Another thing is to disconnect the VR front cables when you are not using it. This will prevent you from accidentally damaging or pulling on the cables when moving around it.
Conclusion

For me the PSVR has been one of my best purchases in gaming in recent times. I spend a lot of time playing it and find the experience to be new and refreshing. As more and more titles come out the levels on which you can experience gaming gets raised constantly. I feel GT Sport has given us a good staple to work with on the VR front and my only hopes is that with future updates and titles, we can start to see more features, modes and more AI racers.
I would say given the chance, you should definitely try out GT Sports VR mode to see if it is for you before you purchase it. However, with the current prices that you can pick up a PSVR for these days it certainly wouldn't be a waste of your money as you will open your PS4 library up to previously inaccessible titles. The fact that you can also play all of your games in your own personal cinema in Cinematic mode is also worth the look.
I hope this thread helps clear up any questions or concerns people might have about the PSVR in GT-sport.
If you have any other tips or experiences with PSVR and GT-Sport, please let me know in the comments, and if you have any questions about the VR that I haven't gone over please feel free to ask me.

Seeya!
FRR35H

Thanks for the detailed write up and impressions. Was thinking of getting a PSVR on sale but ended up skipping it. Now I wish I’d bought it.

In the cinematic mode with PSVR where you can play the entire game through the projected screen, does the camera in cockpit view move with your head movements like in the regular full VR?

Thanks for the detailed write up and impressions. Was thinking of getting a PSVR on sale but ended up skipping it. Now I wish I’d bought it.

In the cinematic mode with PSVR where you can play the entire game through the projected screen, does the camera in cockpit view move with your head movements like in the regular full VR?
Cinematic mode doesn't have head tracking no. It's visually what you would see on the screen on a normal TV. The only difference is its projected in the VR as a big screen. Think of it as a cinema screen playing GTS. You can still look left, right and behind using your button/joysticks.
That being said though, if you opt for the larger screen size like I do, you generally need to turn your head side to side to see the entirety of the screen because looking straight won't allow you to see everything clearly.

Last edited:
Well, I took the plunge and picked up a headset this morning seeing as it’s my night off tonight. It was a matter of time before I got one and this thread gave me the incentive. Apologies if this is a long one, I expect it will be.

Remember I have not experienced VR in any form whatsoever on any platform in any type of game or sim. That’s despite being mainly a PC gamer for the last few years. Just couldn’t justify the cost.
But the attention to detail that Polyphony give the cars PSVR was something I New I had to try. Also worth noting that I play with a wheel, sometimes ds4 and sit quite close to a measly 24” monitor.
So after getting it all set up the first thing I did was load up GT Sport and had a look at my silver Porsche 996 in VR Showroom.
My genuine reaction was along the lines of :nervous::dopey::eek::drool:🤬:eek:🤬:D:censored::bowdown::(
Once I’d nearly fallen off my chair trying to get a closer look at the BBS rims I’d fitted and picked my jaw up off the floor I headed to VR time trial.

Now which track to load? The obvious choice is the Nordschleife but I remember what people had said about easing yourself in to VR so I decided to take the 996 around Brands Hatch.
Nothing prepared me for the shock I got sat in my favourite 911.

Being time trial the car was already in motion. I stopped it and had a look around. My relatively low expectations for graphics were pretty much met. Lots of jaggies and low resolution everywhere. It kind of reminded me of trying to play GT4 on a TFT screen.
However the overwhelming sensation wasn’t the graphics. It was the fact that I was sat in a 996 911 on the start finish straight at Brands.
I wanna use the word unbelievable but that would be wrong as it was actually more than believable, I was actually there :D :bowdown::drool:.
I spent the next minute admiring my new arms and legs and then floored it and I let her rip to experience my first ever VR lap.

Nothing prepared me for what I felt next.
I have driven Brands countless times in many many games and sims with correctly set fov but never have I ever experienced the elevation in the track like today.
As I rounded T1 Paddock Hill Bend I was genuinely shocked at how steep it was. My stomach dropped outta my ass and shot back up to my throat as I went down the hill and up the other side to Druids.
After taking Graham Hill Bend I had to stop on the Cooper Straight. I was in awe of the scale of everything. I felt like I could get out and shake hands with the marshal.
Truly an amazing experience. I went on to complete a lap before switching to thee Nordschleife and having a similar experience. It all just felt so right. I have never experienced the track like that before.
Finally I tried my N100 tuned GT86 in VR Drive at Monza.
I was pitted against a Dino and although he was extremely slow I was super impressed by being able to run side by side with him. It truly felt like the AI avatar was a real driver. Amazing!
What I also noticed was that the driving position in the GT86 was perfect. The virtual wheel lined up perfectly with my own which added to the experience.
As for the driving, well it all felt completely natural. It’s hard to describe but as awesome as GT Sport is on a flat monitor the future is VR. I can’t imagine how good it’s going to be 10 years from now.

Well, I took the plunge and picked up a headset this morning seeing as it’s my night off tonight. It was a matter of time before I got one and this thread gave me the incentive. Apologies if this is a long one, I expect it will be.

Remember I have not experienced VR in any form whatsoever on any platform in any type of game or sim. That’s despite being mainly a PC gamer for the last few years. Just couldn’t justify the cost.
But the attention to detail that Polyphony give the cars PSVR was something I New I had to try. Also worth noting that I play with a wheel, sometimes ds4 and sit quite close to a measly 24” monitor.
So after getting it all set up the first thing I did was load up GT Sport and had a look at my silver Porsche 996 in VR Showroom.
My genuine reaction was along the lines of :nervous::dopey::eek::drool:🤬:eek:🤬:D:censored::bowdown::(
Once I’d nearly fallen off my chair trying to get a closer look at the BBS rims I’d fitted and picked my jaw up off the floor I headed to VR time trial.

Now which track to load? The obvious choice is the Nordschleife but I remember what people had said about easing yourself in to VR so I decided to take the 996 around Brands Hatch.
Nothing prepared me for the shock I got sat in my favourite 911.

Being time trial the car was already in motion. I stopped it and had a look around. My relatively low expectations for graphics were pretty much met. Lots of jaggies and low resolution everywhere. It kind of reminded me of trying to play GT4 on a TFT screen.
However the overwhelming sensation wasn’t the graphics. It was the fact that I was sat in a 996 911 on the start finish straight at Brands.
I wanna use the word unbelievable but that would be wrong as it was actually more than believable, I was actually there :D :bowdown::drool:.
I spent the next minute admiring my new arms and legs and then floored it and I let her rip to experience my first ever VR lap.

Nothing prepared me for what I felt next.
I have driven Brands countless times in many many games and sims with correctly set fov but never have I ever experienced the elevation in the track like today.
As I rounded T1 Paddock Hill Bend I was genuinely shocked at how steep it was. My stomach dropped outta my ass and shot back up to my throat as I went down the hill and up the other side to Druids.
After taking Graham Hill Bend I had to stop on the Cooper Straight. I was in awe of the scale of everything. I felt like I could get out and shake hands with the marshal.
Truly an amazing experience. I went on to complete a lap before switching to thee Nordschleife and having a similar experience. It all just felt so right. I have never experienced the track like that before.
Finally I tried my N100 tuned GT86 in VR Drive at Monza.
I was pitted against a Dino and although he was extremely slow I was super impressed by being able to run side by side with him. It truly felt like the AI avatar was a real driver. Amazing!
What I also noticed was that the driving position in the GT86 was perfect. The virtual wheel lined up perfectly with my own which added to the experience.
As for the driving, well it all felt completely natural. It’s hard to describe but as awesome as GT Sport is on a flat monitor the future is VR. I can’t imagine how good it’s going to be 10 years from now.
That's the experience we all have when we try VR for the first time! It's absolutely mega. Wait until you have been playing for a while, you get an itch on your face and you're shocked when the drivers hand in game doesn't reach up to scratch your face. That's happened to me multiple times. VR immerses you like no other gaming experience I have ever had.

How long before you buy a Vive Pro so you can experience full games like, PC2, AC, RF2, etc in VR!!

PSVR Time Trial mode is the best mode for me, as you can compete with 2 ghosts (one that is loaded, and the current best lap of your session) like this video I made with a 996 vs 997 porsche :

I would of course like a real full-grid VR race experience, but this time trial stuff is already enough to keep me using VR with this game

I really wish GT Sport would support head tracking while in cinematic mode. Despite not being in 3D, the 2D cockpit view is still quite immersive with the exception of the screen's position being locked.

I mentioned this on reddit, and there was an almost antagonistic level of dislike for this request. It totally caught me off guard especially since 360 degree video is already an accepted format within the VR space. Being able to play 2D games with full head tracking would be amazing in its own right, while allowing the headset to be retroactively used for non VR titles.

The only PC simracing that have good VR for me is iRacing, closely followed by AC....yup only 2 titles.

90 fps for each eye
Spot on, like driving the real car

For iRacing VR, even on my i7 8700 + 1080ti, I run with minimum graphics option, racing online with 30 visible cars is much important than sceneries.

For PS, i'll might wait for ps5 + sports mode in VR

Have you tried Dirt Rally? You can play the full game in VR. Of course it's only you on the track for most of it, but you can also do the rally cross races with the other cars on the track. Wipeout also has the full game available in VR as well as Drive Club (although that suffers severe downgrades)

Racing in the rain or dust through steep bends on the side of a mountain is awesome. I hope dirt rally 2 will add vr as well.

GT Sport VR has a short coming where it doesn't lock your view position to the attitude of the car. Your view point stays level when the car banks or pitches. The other VR games have you in the car seat instead of a stabilized viewpoint at the driver's seat. When you roll the car in GTS your viewpoint stays horizontal through out. In the other games you roll with the car.

Ace combat 7 is another game that is transformed by VR. Unfortunately it only has 3 VR missions and you will lose any desire to play the rest of the game without VR :lol:

For pure VR magic, play Astrobot. It's the best game for PSVR. It looks amazing and is made to take full advantage of VR while being one of the most comfortable games to play.

Thanks for the reply Trux! Great to hear that I inspired you to take the plunge. Believe me you are going to get plenty of use out of it not just GT-Sport. I had a very similar experience my first time. I actually think I jumped in a VW Kombi Van haha! My favorite car in the game to race is also the 996 and it's a thrill to drive in VR. Just a tip, as you said there are graphical down grades when in VR mode for the track, but make sure you are properly adjusting your headset. Tighten the strap and move the lenses forward, back, left and right. It does help clear up some of those sharp jagged pixels. It will never be perfect to the point it looks 4k but you will be satisfied.

Have you tried Dirt Rally? You can play the full game in VR. Of course it's only you on the track for most of it, but you can also do the rally cross races with the other cars on the track. Wipeout also has the full game available in VR as well as Drive Club (although that suffers severe downgrades)....
I actually have Dirt Rally at home and haven't played it yet. Been meaning to this week to trial out the VR mode. I think I might load it up tonight.
Ace Combat was the other game I was excited to try the PSVR mode on. Like you said though, it's limited and would probably make the rest of the game seem lacking :P. I also have a Thrustmaster HOTAS so I can imagine my VR experience would be pretty immersive in that game.

Excellent reviews and tips guys. Dirt Rally, GTSport and Ace Combat 7 have all blown me away on the PSVR. Just love that feeling of being inside the vehicle. Being an aviation and motorsport enthusiast the perspective it gives is incredible. Another one that I have enjoyed is Ultrawings, very arcade style graphics, but the physics are very good.

Great write-up FFR35H (is that your number plate :) ... maybe not, you're an Aussie??), really spot-on and really captures the thrill of experiencing VR for the first time.
My son got me to give it a go and I wasn't really expecting much after trying some of his VR games - but I was blown away! Looking around the interior of your car was like - real!!

However, i only tried it a couple of times for the experience but do not use it regularly (and haven't for quite some time). It's a mixture of things:

1- it might "spoil" me and detract from the "ordinary" GTS.
2- The Sony VR "glasses" get uncomfortable (on me) after not much time.
3- I wear glasses and I could not for the life of me get the exact adjustment so that it was pin-sharp focus.
4- I like to be aware of my surroundings - and the VR just takes that completely away because it is SO immersive!

A fantastic experience, I didn't realise technology had come so far for relatively low cost. But for now I'll probably stick with plain-old-boring 2D :lol:

it might "spoil" me and detract from the "ordinary" GTS.

Must admit, I haven’t touched any other mode other than VR since getting the headset, It’s so immersive.
Tokyo Expressway at night is incredible. VR completely changes the visual experience with the tunnels and skyscrapers.
Just a shame that you can’t have a proper race. Hopefully something that everyone can experience next gen.

Great write-up FRR35H* (is that your number plate :) ... maybe not, you're an Aussie??), really spot-on and really captures the thrill of experiencing VR for the first time.
My son got me to give it a go and I wasn't really expecting much after trying some of his VR games - but I was blown away! Looking around the interior of your car was like - real!!

However, i only tried it a couple of times for the experience but do not use it regularly (and haven't for quite some time). It's a mixture of things:

3- I wear glasses and I could not for the life of me get the exact adjustment so that it was pin-sharp focus.
4- I like to be aware of my surroundings - and the VR just takes that completely away because it is SO immersive!

A fantastic experience, I didn't realise technology had come so far for relatively low cost. But for now I'll probably stick with plain-old-boring 2D :lol:
Thanks for the reply Seadog. Yes it is my number plate: FRR35H. That's my car in my profile picture. :) In Australia we have a lot of number plate options. I've had mine since the early 2000s.
With what you said:
Yes and no. You will still desire the standard GTS because of the fact there is only a limit to the racing in VR. You will still want the competitiveness that you only get in the normal GTS.
Take regular breaks. It's not a comfortable experience for everyone, but what I've learnt is that if you take regular breaks you will slowly adapt to the VR headset better. Also adjusting the headset properly before starting your game is important. If you just put it on and start playing, your field of view and how it sits on your head could be completely wrong. This is usually the cause of discomfort.
This I unfortunately don't have experience with. My wife however does where glasses. She has played it once or twice but from memory she wore contacts at the time. I have watched Youtube videos ( I believe John Riggs details the way to use PSVR with glasses) where people have used glasses and VR at the same time.
It is! As I mentioned, you need some level of care when using VR and take advantage of the inbuilt function in the PS menu to check your surroundings from time to time. It's not such a big deal when you are sitting in a racing sim, but when you are standing up and playing, you should do this every now and again. Also when you take your breaks, you should reset your position so that you are clear of any obstacles.

Hope that helps. Get that headset back on and start playing again!

I really enjoyed the VR experience in GTS but there needs to be more content. Gets old hot lapping and racing a single car. Still, it makes cars I’ve driven dozens of time an amazing experience.

I usually wear glasses but don’t need them with VR. If anything, not wearing them helps minimize the screen door effect.

Definitely took me a little time to get my sea legs, so I recommend starting slow and flat. And don’t go backwards!

I really enjoyed the VR experience in GTS but there needs to be more content. Gets old hot lapping and racing a single car. Still, it makes cars I’ve driven dozens of time an amazing experience.

I usually wear glasses but don’t need them with VR. If anything, not wearing them helps minimize the screen door effect.

Definitely took me a little time to get my sea legs, so I recommend starting slow and flat. And don’t go backwards!

'Don't go backwards' so true. I don't have a problem blasting on DR1, but hit a tree, back up and I instantly get a feeling like falling or something weird. Take off and it's all good. Stalling planes in Ultrawings is the same. Adds another roller coaster effect for me. But it's a strange effect.

Hey, I'm a pretty new sim racer. I got into it when I recently bought a PSVR and was looking for VR games. I ended up purchasing GTS.

Since the VR part of GTS is quite limited I started playing online... And now I have a Fanatec CSL Elite wheel and pedals mounted on a Playseat Challenge. It's a ton of fun! I'm now at 9,400 km, mid C DR and oscillating between A and S SR.

Now to the point. Last week Race B was on Red Bull Ring and I did quite a few laps on it. Best qualifying time I managed to get was 1:30:070 in an Audi R8.

Today I tried Red Bull Ring in an Audi R8 with PSVR and VR Time Trial Mode. I quickly did 1:29 laps and after a while 1:27 laps. Basically unimaginable lap times for me.

Why did this happen? Is it the extra information that makes me a better driver? I think it can be part of it because I think I was quicker and better at correcting oversteer and also picking a better line. But even though I'd like to think that it's the immersive VR experience that makes me a faster sim racer, I doubt that it'd make me 2 seconds faster.

Can it be that the track length is shorter in VR?

Hey, I'm a pretty new sim racer. I got into it when I recently bought a PSVR and was looking for VR games. I ended up purchasing GTS.

Since the VR part of GTS is quite limited I started playing online... And now I have a Fanatec CSL Elite wheel and pedals mounted on a Playseat Challenge. It's a ton of fun! I'm now at 9,400 km, mid C DR and oscillating between A and S SR.

Now to the point. Last week Race B was on Red Bull Ring and I did quite a few laps on it. Best qualifying time I managed to get was 1:30:070 in an Audi R8.

Today I tried Red Bull Ring in an Audi R8 with PSVR and VR Time Trial Mode. I quickly did 1:29 laps and after a while 1:27 laps. Basically unimaginable lap times for me.

Why did this happen? Is it the extra information that makes me a better driver? I think it can be part of it because I think I was quicker and better at correcting oversteer and also picking a better line. But even though I'd like to think that it's the immersive VR experience that makes me a faster sim racer, I doubt that it'd make me 2 seconds faster.

Can it be that the track length is shorter in VR?
VR gives you better situational awareness and just as importantly the correct Field of View, which can make a massive difference when it comes to cornering and braking distances.

GT Sport VR has a short coming where it doesn't lock your view position to the attitude of the car. Your view point stays level when the car banks or pitches. The other VR games have you in the car seat instead of a stabilized viewpoint at the driver's seat. When you roll the car in GTS your viewpoint stays horizontal through out. In the other games you roll with the car.
Could this possibly explain why the viewpoint vertically drifts on tracks with large elevation changes, such as Nordschleife?

On another note, it’s feels much easier to drive in VR. Are there extra assists running that can’t be turned off, or does VR really make that much difference?

Some friends came around the other night and we got to having turns at GTS (I was showing it off!). One loved the VR and said it was so realistic.
Another tried it and stopped after a few minutes. He looked quite ill and was sweating profusely! He said the same thing happens to him on roller coasters.... guess it doesn't suit everyone.

Wanted to dig up this old thread. I got my PSVR yesterday with sole purpose of extra immersion for this game. Although I love online racing, the limited game content in VR didn't bother me one bit. I'm perfectly happy hot-lapping in my favorite cars. FWIW, I play this game in cockpit mode already, so I was very curious to see how the game played with a proper FOV and me being able to turn my head to look through turns and arc into apexes more easily. Let me tell you that in those regards, the game did not disappoint. Besides the very grainy PS3-like graphics, I really felt like I was sitting in the cockpit of these cars!! I first switched to cockpit probably six months ago because I was having a hard time fully grasping this trail braking thing, and I read on here somewhere that switching to that view helped..... which it did. VR took that to a whole new level and now I'm fully able to replicate how I trail brake into turns in my own personal vehicles.

Motion sickness was a bit of a problem yesterday, but was a non-issue today. I found that as long as I don't look at my VR "legs" (its kinda eery to be honest), or look around more than I would if I was driving my own vehicle.... I was fine.

Like I already eluded to, the graphics and "distance of view" takes a hit. I'm on a standard PS4, so maybe a ps4 pro.... or something else would enhance it?

Another thing I noticed straight away is that the FFB from my wheel (csl elite) seemed to be much more detailed than before. I however think this is exactly what people are talking about when mentioning the "placebo effect". I figured there was no way in hell, the coding for the FFB would be any different in VR compared to normal-style, so I chocked it up to the extra immersion of being in the vehicle caused me to be much more sensitive to what I was feeling through my wheel and how I was controlling my inputs through the pedals.

Looking forward, spending the $$$ on a VR set was two-fold for me. Depending on wether or not GT7 delivers or not, I'll probably build a PC for sim racing, and I wanted to see how I liked VR since you can actually do some online racing on PC with VR. I still haven't tried a triple screen setup yet, but I could easily see myself going full VR with a PC to save money on monitors and such. But more than anything, it showed me the capability that I hope GT 7 will have from a VR standpoint. Even if it takes a bit after the title is released...... whenever that is :rolleyes:.

Wanted to dig up this old thread. I got my PSVR yesterday with sole purpose of extra immersion for this game. Although I love online racing, the limited game content in VR didn't bother me one bit. I'm perfectly happy hot-lapping in my favorite cars. FWIW, I play this game in cockpit mode already, so I was very curious to see how the game played with a proper FOV and me being able to turn my head to look through turns and arc into apexes more easily. Let me tell you that in those regards, the game did not disappoint. Besides the very grainy PS3-like graphics, I really felt like I was sitting in the cockpit of these cars!! I first switched to cockpit probably six months ago because I was having a hard time fully grasping this trail braking thing, and I read on here somewhere that switching to that view helped..... which it did. VR took that to a whole new level and now I'm fully able to replicate how I trail brake into turns in my own personal vehicles.

Motion sickness was a bit of a problem yesterday, but was a non-issue today. I found that as long as I don't look at my VR "legs" (its kinda eery to be honest), or look around more than I would if I was driving my own vehicle.... I was fine.

Like I already eluded to, the graphics and "distance of view" takes a hit. I'm on a standard PS4, so maybe a ps4 pro.... or something else would enhance it?

Another thing I noticed straight away is that the FFB from my wheel (csl elite) seemed to be much more detailed than before. I however think this is exactly what people are talking about when mentioning the "placebo effect". I figured there was no way in hell, the coding for the FFB would be any different in VR compared to normal-style, so I chocked it up to the extra immersion of being in the vehicle caused me to be much more sensitive to what I was feeling through my wheel and how I was controlling my inputs through the pedals.

Looking forward, spending the $$$ on a VR set was two-fold for me. Depending on wether or not GT7 delivers or not, I'll probably build a PC for sim racing, and I wanted to see how I liked VR since you can actually do some online racing on PC with VR. I still haven't tried a triple screen setup yet, but I could easily see myself going full VR with a PC to save money on monitors and such. But more than anything, it showed me the capability that I hope GT 7 will have from a VR standpoint. Even if it takes a bit after the title is released...... whenever that is :rolleyes:.
VR in sim racing is stunning from an immersion point of view. As you have PSVR and are looking at PC in the future these two videos may help. Oh and yes a PS4 does help a bit, but its not leaps and bounds better.

A round-up of PSVR Racing Titles

My First Steps in PC VR Sims

My dad is over and we’re playing GR on vr right now with the TV showing the game as well. On tv it looks like normal game play. I. The headset it’s more blurry. Especially looking long distances. Is this normal?

I have been enjoying looking at the car interiors, turning round to see out the back and up at the roof lining etc. It feels like testing out the feel of ̶n̶e̶w̶ second hand cars, but without the deodorant ridden salesman trying to talk you into finance. Getting in a 90's Nissan made me feel like I was in my old one as they shared many of the same bits. It's that level of detail already which is a delight.

As for driving, I drove like I do in real life when driving other peoples expensive cars on track, very tentatively at first, well away from any kerbs and walls and at a lower speed. Its like its tricked my brain into believeing there would be actual consequences to hitting things, because obviously, look around, I am in the car! Amazing stuff! And as mentioned above, being able to look through the corner is so much more natural than the fixed ahead blinkered view on a TV. Peripheral vision!

My dad is over and we’re playing GR on vr right now with the TV showing the game as well. On tv it looks like normal game play. I. The headset it’s more blurry. Especially looking long distances. Is this normal?
Yep, 100% normal.

You need to remember that a VR headset is a very small screen around 2 inches from your eyes, until we get to 8K resolution at that kind of distance the image is always going to be compromised.

Get a similar distance from your TV screen and you will see the same issues, including the 'screen door' effect, which is the mesh pattern that can be seen in a number of VR Headsets

Last edited:
Back